Jump to content
dampka

Playwriting MFAs

Recommended Posts

@lonewolf25 That's interesting! My status says "Your application is ready for review and will be sent to the admissions committee of your program."

Honestly I'm not very confident with my applications either. I'm trying to put all my anxiety into my Hunter application (due in a couple weeks) and Rutgers (due next month), but I'm most likely going to apply again next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had my UTA interview this morning — again, I applied to Theatre & Dance not Michener. Kirk Lynn had to teach a class, so I video “met” with KJ and some adjunct faculty. It was really pleasant. They asked questions based on my personal history and my statement of purpose. Not really any generic questions.

She did mention that these video interviews were semi-finalists and the finalists will have in person meetings in 2 weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RoryGilmore said:

@lonewolf25 That's interesting! My status says "Your application is ready for review and will be sent to the admissions committee of your program."

Honestly I'm not very confident with my applications either. I'm trying to put all my anxiety into my Hunter application (due in a couple weeks) and Rutgers (due next month), but I'm most likely going to apply again next year. 

@RoryGilmore It will say that until everything arrives and is processed. And then the waiting game. 
 

I’ll also be applying to Hunter. I’m glad they have such a generous deadline considering not only is my portfolio play ten times better, but I’ve actually gotten several workshops, readings, and a ten minute play production to add to my resume that none of the other programs have gotten to see. Literally happens each time I apply to anything—a few days later, I get something that would have looked GREAT on my resume for said application. UGG. 

@captbakacongrats on the interview! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got an in-person interview for UTA! I'll be flying down there in a couple of weeks. ? Kind of can't believe it. So excited.

Simultaneously, today I got my rejection from the PWC Jerome Fellowship, so that was humbling. Stung a bit, since I made it to the finalist round last year... and didn't even make it to the semi-finals this year with the play that I submitted to grad schools.

Yet to hear from: UCSD (losing hope), Brown, Yale, and Juilliard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2019 at 10:20 AM, PlayWitch said:

AHHH! My transcripts still haven't arrived at Brooklyn College! Anyone else having this problem?

Brooklyn is NOTORIOUS FOR LOSING APPLICATION MATERIALS. This is one of those rare occasions where you HAVE TO BE ON THEM. They lost my friend's application (Fiction Dept) in a drawer and if she had not been following up with them on a weekly (sometimes daily basis) she never would've gotten her acceptance. GET EM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, heckleher said:

Brooklyn is NOTORIOUS FOR LOSING APPLICATION MATERIALS. This is one of those rare occasions where you HAVE TO BE ON THEM. They lost my friend's application (Fiction Dept) in a drawer and if she had not been following up with them on a weekly (sometimes daily basis) she never would've gotten her acceptance. GET EM.

@heckleher Curious about this - did your friend know that things were missing because the system told her? Or did the system not tell her and she just had to keep calling? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, heckleher said:

Brooklyn is NOTORIOUS FOR LOSING APPLICATION MATERIALS. This is one of those rare occasions where you HAVE TO BE ON THEM. They lost my friend's application (Fiction Dept) in a drawer and if she had not been following up with them on a weekly (sometimes daily basis) she never would've gotten her acceptance. GET EM.

@heckleher!!! Thank you so much for telling me this!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

23 hours ago, brillantina said:

@heckleher Curious about this - did your friend know that things were missing because the system told her? Or did the system not tell her and she just had to keep calling? 

@brillantina No clue re: system stuff that was a while back but I submitted (MFA Playwriting) in 2011-2012? with my friend's warning about the admissions process and lo and behold: they lost my first transcript. So I was ready for some BS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Squeeeeee!
UCSD first contacts come out in waves, I guess? Just got my e-mail for a phone meeting with Naomi later today. Snowed in...ish here in Seattle. Guess I won't be day-drinking snow-garitas as planned ?
But those of you still waiting on UCSD, there's hope!

@RoryGilmore to answer your UTA interview question -- I think BJJ and AB aren't there until August, so I don't think they'll be there?  ?‍♀️

Edited by captbaka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, captbaka said:

Squeeeeee!
UCSD first contacts come out in waves, I guess? Just got my e-mail for a phone meeting with Naomi later today. Snowed in...ish here in Seattle. Guess I won't be day-drinking snow-garitas as planned ?
But those of you still waiting on UCSD, there's hope

Congrats! Just lining them up and knocking him down this year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2019 at 2:26 PM, heckleher said:

 

@brillantina No clue re: system stuff that was a while back but I submitted (MFA Playwriting) in 2011-2012? with my friend's warning about the admissions process and lo and behold: they lost my first transcript. So I was ready for some BS.

I emailed them today to make sure my play and personal statement had arrived, since they don't give you a way to track that online. And they got it! Whew! Resent the two transcripts that had not arrived, and one has already been received. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: rejected from Yale. Feels way faster than years prior, made me wonder if one of my recommenders taking a month to submit a rec had some effect? But it's Yale, so... honestly competition is steep.

Email to check portal, message containing the phrase: "With well over a hundred applicants for only three places..."

Edited by brillantina

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, brillantina said:

Update: rejected from Yale. Feels way faster than years prior, made me wonder if one of my recommenders taking a month to submit a rec had some effect? But it's Yale, so... honestly competition is steep.

Email to check portal, message containing the phrase: "With well over a hundred applicants for only three places..."

Same here. Sigh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joining y'all in the Yale rejection group 😩

I've had interviews with current students at UCSD all this week in what Naomi called "part of the final application process." This amounts to 6 different video calls, and I'm wondering if this is in lieu of an in-person interview or that would come after? Not sure, but I was told I would hear back next week after all my meetings. #anxiety

Yet to hear from Brown and Juilliard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2019 at 2:20 PM, Cgc128 said:

Anyone heard from University of Iowa? 

@Cgc128 I didn't apply to Iowa, but I think that they're usually a bit behind the other schools. Like not until March or something. The Iowa process is back in older posts -- and my bud @Boxedwine goes there now, so she may be able to help? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! Congrats on the UCSD acceptance! That's incredible.

I've been lurking for a while, but decided to finally join the conversation. Waiting on Brown, Juilliard, and NYU at this point (also applied to Yale and UCSD).

Edited by Coffee&Flowers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2019 at 4:43 PM, captbaka said:

So I got accepted to UCSD! 😳 Kind of can't believe it. Still taking the trip down to UTA this week and checking back in with Naomi on Sunday. Whirlwind week.

Congrats @captbaka! I had interviews with Naomi and the MFA students last week. It's a dreamy, dreamy program.

I'd been trying to avoid gradcafe this year (it causes me so much anxiety!) but my dad checked in on his own and then called me to tell me the news, so I figured I may as well stop in. If UCSD is decided, that leaves Iowa and Columbia for me. Holding out some hope! Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the kindness you guys!

I got an e-mail from Brown to set up Finalist phone interviews this coming week, so that's happening. Was surprised because of that random interview request posted months ago. Anyone else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats, @captbaka! You are kicking ass!! 

Haven't heard anything at all, but I did talk to an acquaintance who's currently enrolled at Brown's playwriting program last week. They let me know that the first random interview request on the results page back on 1/19 was likely fake or a troll. Don't believe everything you read on the internet, I guess?

As of Monday last week, they told me that readers were still working through the stack and hadn't reached out to folks yet. Seems like Brown is doing so now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.