2017 Final Decisions

I accepted my offer from UC Davis yesterday! I'm so excited and relieved. Much of the decision had to do with the area itself (better for me and my partner, easier for him to find a job) and funding (I found out recently that I actually have six years of funding there, which I didn't get anywhere else). Now onto the practicalities!

I've been off this forum for weeks because for a while there it looked like I was going to have to wait and apply again next year, but I ended up accepting an offer from Northern Arizona I'm pretty happy with. I received an assistantship with a decent stipend, 100% tuition remission, and health insurance completely covered by the university. After thinking I wouldn't be able to go anywhere and rejecting offers from my top two schools because of finances, I'm so happy to have accepted an offer! Now I'm looking towards getting back into my studies and getting ready to do this all again with a much stronger application for PhD programs in two years! 

On 3/24/2017 at 9:51 AM, imogenshakes said:

I accepted my offer from UC Davis yesterday! I'm so excited and relieved. Much of the decision had to do with the area itself (better for me and my partner, easier for him to find a job) and funding (I found out recently that I actually have six years of funding there, which I didn't get anywhere else). Now onto the practicalities!

Ahhhh, so much congrats!! I did my undergrad there, and I'm in love with everything about it - staff/faculty, areas of study, campus.  Let me know if you have any questions about the town or school or anything! Pro tip: BUY A BIKE! :lol:

4 hours ago, cheldorado said:

Ahhhh, so much congrats!! I did my undergrad there, and I'm in love with everything about it - staff/faculty, areas of study, campus.  Let me know if you have any questions about the town or school or anything! Pro tip: BUY A BIKE! :lol:

Thank you so much! I've been pretty obsessed about the program since I got my acceptance; I'm so excited to work with all of the superstar faculty! And the community sounds fantastic in general. I'll certainly message you as things come up, it's so nice to have contacts! 

Re: the bike, my plan is to buy one as soon as I get out there ?

On 3/1/2017 at 7:56 PM, orphic_mel528 said:

I'm still waiting on one program, but I've already made up my mind. UMASS it is! Very excited to work with Dr. Zucker and the rest of the people at MCIRS. 

awesome! i'll be going to umass amherst also, though my concentration is comp/rhet. i'm honestly over the moon about it. i know a number of people who've attended and worked at the school and i've heard so many great things, and the professors and grad students who have reached out are so welcoming. they also provide so much pedagogical support for new teaching associates, i can't wait to get started!

4 hours ago, Sunsy said:

Now that all my visits are finally over, UC Berkeley is the winner! Couldn't be happier about it, especially since everything I saw at the visit was extremely positive and welcoming.

So. Lucky. T_T 

On 3/30/2017 at 10:49 AM, natalielouise said:

I haven't signed but I called the DGS at Boulder on Tuesday to accept their offer! Excited to be continuing my education at such a great program after getting rejected almost everywhere else! Yay! 

If you have any questions about Boulder, let me know!  I finished my MA there last year.

3 hours ago, Silabus said:

Alright I finally decided! I looked at it all and Texas A&M is the place for me!

Congratulations! One of my very good friends at Sam Houston just accepted a position there as well. So you're in great company!

I did it. Notified the programs and everything.
I've officially accepted a spot in Syracuse's English Masters program and turned down a spot at the University of Indiana-Bloomington's Ph.D program.

It was tough to do. Syracuse has a great program, but IU's offer was 6 years funded, with a fellowship for the first year. Hopefully someone else from here is able to pick up my spot.

Unless UCLA pulls a rabbit out of its hat and I get off the waitlist, I've decided on UC Santa Barbara! 

UCSB is a great program with friendly people, awesome faculty, and is actually committed to interdisciplinary amalgamations (as opposed to just saying that to seem hip). They've offered me great funding, and it's also a gorgeous campus right on the water. Bike-friendly, and I wouldn't have to deal with any real kind of "winter" for at least half a decade!

Since UCLA is practically a public Ivy, it would be silly to turn them down if they gave me a shot--however, for my own peace of mind, I'll wait a week and then just take myself off the waitlist--butting up THAT close against the deadline isn't worth it when I already have a bird in the hand.

Everything about this application season has culminated in a kind of vindication one rarely receives in academia, and I'm basking in it :) 

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 0:33 PM, sgc001 said:

Congratulations! One of my very good friends at Sam Houston just accepted a position there as well. So you're in great company!

I think I may have met your friend on the Visit Day then because I remember a guy from Sam Houston who was pretty much sold on the school.

On 3/28/2017 at 11:20 AM, erosanddust said:

I accepted my offer from University of Toronto! My application season had a rather rocky start, so I'm thrilled that I'll be attending a strong and exciting program that has proven to be a great fit for me.

Congrats on your decision! It was great meeting you during UofT's Visitors' Day! I'm so happy that we'll be in the same cohort this upcoming fall, and I look forward to getting to know you better. Also, I'm always available to answer any Toronto-related questions that you may have over the upcoming months. :D 

I have officially accepted OSU's offer! I am immensely excited!

This also means I declined offers from Auburn University, the University of Georgia, the University of South Carolina, the University of Delaware, and the University of Florida. I do hope that this helps anyone on those waitlists; they are all stellar programs, and it was an unbelievably difficult decision. 

Good luck to anyone still waiting on results/waitlists and for those still making decisions. Stay strong!

On 3/29/2017 at 6:39 PM, claritus said:

I've also accepted my offer from Berkeley! Super excited about the program—it really felt right during the visit. 

@imogenshakes Glad to see you accepted the offer from Davis! You might have to take the train down to Berkeley for a seminar :)

Hooray! Yes, to be quite honest, when the DGS told me that some students have done that I melted a little bit. It's certainly an exciting prospect! ?