2017 Final Decisions

I am extremely pleased to finally announce that I have accepted my offer of admission to Ohio State University!

Can't wait to join wonderful folks like @Ramus, @acciodoctorate, @toasterazzi (and most recently @engphiledu) in this fantastic program!

Did I add enough superlatives? Hmm, don't think so... I'm supremely beyond elated and enthused! (That's better!)

11 minutes ago, Old Bill said:

I am extremely pleased to finally announce that I have accepted my offer of admission to Ohio State University!

Can't wait to join wonderful folks like @Ramus, @acciodoctorate, @toasterazzi (and most recently @engphiledu) in this fantastic program!

Did I add enough superlatives? Hmm, don't think so... I'm supremely beyond elated and enthused! (That's better!)

Yay!!! I'm "enthused" for you as well :P 

24 minutes ago, Old Bill said:

CONGRATULATIONS! I'm thrilled for you!

1 hour ago, Old Bill said:

Congratulations and welcome!  

I've largely lurked this season, but it's amazing how invested I feel in the journeys of a bunch of people I don't know on the internet. I'm genuinely excited for each and every one of you that's making a decision. It's really fun to see everyone finding their places. Congrats, all! 

Today, I accepted my offer from the University of Illinois Chicago. It seems like an interesting department that's doing good work in some emerging fields I'm interested in, their placement record is pretty good, and their stipend offer is decent for a state school. 

Looking forward to see the work you all do! 

1 hour ago, Yanaka said:

Just accepted Villanova!!

37 minutes ago, urbanfarmer said:

Today, I accepted my offer from the University of Illinois Chicago. It seems like an interesting department that's doing good work in some emerging fields I'm interested in, their placement record is pretty good, and their stipend offer is decent for a state school.

Major congratulations to both of you!!

19 minutes ago, positivitize said:

so happy for you. congratulations! it's been a wild ride.

Right??

In the NHL there's an award called the Masterton Trophy given out at the end of the season to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication. If we had similar awards at GradCafe, @Yanaka would win the Masterton hands down!

Edited by Old Bill

2 minutes ago, Old Bill said:

Right??

In the NHL there's an award called the Masterton Trophy given out at the end of the season to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication. If we had similar awards at GradCafe, @Yanaka would win the Masterton hands down!

:D I second this nomination.

33 minutes ago, Old Bill said:

Right??

Oh my, that's too much! If there is any flattered but slightly embarrassed meme out there, it would be my face right now :D 

Question on behalf of a friend: This is the time of year when faculty are taking new jobs as well. What happens when the senior prof you just signed on to a program to work with decides to announce they are leaving the program? Would it wrong to ask the schools you declined to reconsider? Can you back out of a commitment?

After a great visit with students and faculty yesterday, and a funding offer last week, I've officially accepted an MA/PhD spot at UMass Amherst! I'm so excited -- the rhet/comp community is just the kind of thing that I'm looking for, the faculty are really nice, and they just moved out of a crappy old building into a snazzy new one. Now to actually be a graduate student!

Thanks so much, everyone, for your help through this whole hulabaloo. It's been a long, strange trip, but the reassurance and the advice I found here was invaluable. 

24 minutes ago, FeetInTheSky said:

After a great visit with students and faculty yesterday, and a funding offer last week, I've officially accepted an MA/PhD spot at UMass Amherst! 

Congrats! With you and @orphic_mel528 (and another GCer whose name escapes me at the moment), that's going to be one fun cohort...

12 hours ago, bhr said:

Question on behalf of a friend: This is the time of year when faculty are taking new jobs as well. What happens when the senior prof you just signed on to a program to work with decides to announce they are leaving the program? Would it wrong to ask the schools you declined to reconsider? Can you back out of a commitment?

Oh! That's tricky. It's likely if your friend declined a school they moved down to the next one on the list - I suspect that the schools would be open to putting your friend back on a waitlist but an offer made is an offer made (right?) so they'd have to wait until another person declined. 

Also - I *do* think you can back out of a commitment - I imagine it would be stressful and perhaps a bit unusual but when all is said and done it's probably better to back-out now rather than be unproductive/unhappy/etc

best of luck to your friend, BHR

Thrilled to accept my offer from Cornell. The place was full of energy (not to mention its material correlate, $) for the humanities, with a constant stream of speakers, institutes, fellowships, yearly themes, not to mention a solid collegiality and openness between grad students and faculty. And excited to be done with it all!

6 minutes ago, piers_plowman said:

Thrilled to accept my offer from Cornell. The place was full of energy (not to mention its material correlate, $) for the humanities, with a constant stream of speakers, institutes, fellowships, yearly themes, not to mention a solid collegiality and openness between grad students and faculty. And excited to be done with it all!

Way to go! Cornell is fantastic in every way (save, perhaps, for navigating the roads in winter...). Try to seek out Gary Slack, who is a former UMD grad who is finishing his first year of a Ph.D. there -- he's not in your era, but he's a wonderful guy. Salt of the earth.

2 hours ago, piers_plowman said:

I'm also thrilled to have accepted my offer from Cornell! *cheers* 

The ability to totally "customize" the program was a huge selling point for me, especially since my work is nestled within a few intersecting disciplines. 

Edited by ProfessionalNerd

On 4/8/2017 at 9:20 AM, piers_plowman said:

On 4/8/2017 at 11:38 AM, ProfessionalNerd said:

I'm also thrilled to have accepted my offer from Cornell! *cheers* 

The ability to totally "customize" the program was a huge selling point for me, especially since my work is nestled within a few intersecting disciplines. 

Me three

Congratulations to everyone on their acceptances.  I have decided to attend the MA program for Writing, Rhetoric, and Discourse at DePaul University in Chicago, Illinois starting in September 2017.  I was offered full funding plus a stipend so I decided to take it.  Good luck to everyone as you start your programs in the fall.  :).

So excited for the future Cornellians!! Though I was there for undergrad, I loved almost everything about my experience and I hope you will too.  Their library system is one of the best (in my humble opinion) and you should definitely check out some of the libraries not related to your discipline. (One of my favorites was the Ag Library - Mann.)