Master's Admissions 2017(MA,MTS, ThM or Mdiv)

Johnny.S

1 hour ago, franz said:

Thank you! The funding from the religion department covers 40% of tuition.

Congrats on your acceptance! I also have been admitted to their MA program with the same condition.

For me, It's a really great thing to be admitted to Duke, but as you understand, this 40% reward is not really sufficient to cover the whole thing. so I'm thinking I should wait UChicago and HDS's decisions and rewards. 

So, where do you think  you'll choose to go to school? I think you are the OP who started the thread on chances with a background in Phil. and Lit., I'm wondering how your admissions and personal decision are going because I was in a similar situation last application season- although I ended up reapplying this season. 

Just got word I was accepted to Union's MA program! I was awarded a modest grant (which I'm chalking up to being a Muslim who wants to study at a traditionally Christian seminary). All thanks and praise is due to God Most High. Now I will turn 110% of  my positive energy to everyone waiting to hear back from Union/other schools.

Glad the wait is over (still waiting on first/second choices UChicago and HDS, but very happy to know I will be able (God willing) to attend school next year!) Since Union decisions started coming out (last Friday) I have: forgotten to pay my rent (we get discounts for paying early), forgotten to pay my healthcare premium (ya Allah), forgotten to return library books (paid my $1.40 fine today) and washed my favorite clothes with a blue ballpoint pen in my pocket.

Hang in there folks. 

22 hours ago, franz said:

Found out yesterday via email that Duke admitted me to their MA program!

Congrats to you and @Johnny.S! I guess that makes 4 of us now? 
Edit: 3 of us. I can't math. 

Edited by MayaK
Quantitative Reasoning

16 hours ago, Johnny.S said:

Congrats on your acceptance! I also have been admitted to their MA program with the same condition.

For me, It's a really great thing to be admitted to Duke, but as you understand, this 40% reward is not really sufficient to cover the whole thing. so I'm thinking I should wait UChicago and HDS's decisions and rewards. 

So, where do you think  you'll choose to go to school? I think you are the OP who started the thread on chances with a background in Phil. and Lit., I'm wondering how your admissions and personal decision are going because I was in a similar situation last application season- although I ended up reapplying this season. 

Thanks and congratulations to you and @MayaK too!

Your feelings are similar to mine on the topic. I'm very pleased about getting into Duke, but the funding, while nice in terms of the amount the department can award (their site said something like 20-40%, I think), does leave a sizable amount of money to pay.

Yes, I posted that thread, and I'm not sure yet which program I'll choose, as only Duke has admitted me so far. I'm still waiting on U Chicago, YDS, and ND. I also now know that I didn't get into four of the five philosophy PhD programs I applied to, and I'm doubtful about the remaining program (plus, I've read that not everyone there receives full funding either). At the moment, I'm planning on going to Duke, though the results (and funding) at the other programs could change this.

3 hours ago, ibn daoud said:

Just got word I was accepted to Union's MA program! I was awarded a modest grant (which I'm chalking up to being a Muslim who wants to study at a traditionally Christian seminary). All thanks and praise is due to God Most High. Now I will turn 110% of  my positive energy to everyone waiting to hear back from Union/other schools.

Glad the wait is over (still waiting on first/second choices UChicago and HDS, but very happy to know I will be able (God willing) to attend school next year!) Since Union decisions started coming out (last Friday) I have: forgotten to pay my rent (we get discounts for paying early), forgotten to pay my healthcare premium (ya Allah), forgotten to return library books (paid my $1.40 fine today) and washed my favorite clothes with a blue ballpoint pen in my pocket.

Hang in there folks. 

Congrats!! Best of luck on UChicago and HDS!

Hoping tomorrow will be the day that I hear back from Union and BU.

11 hours ago, Mememememe said:

So people think next week for UChicago? 

Yeah, I was promised first full week in March by two different people. Decisions will be made by the end of the day, but they won't come out til early next week. I asked my POI to give me a shout if she heard anything, and I haven't gotten word from her yet. 

Congrats on Fordham, BC and Duke!

Edited by ibn daoud

@ibn daoud Do you think there is any chance that the MDiv decisions will come out on a different day than the MA decisions at UChicago, since the deadline for the MDiv program was a week later? Or is it all part of the same pool of applications? Just wondering if it is possible that MA students could hear today, or if the people you talked to also were involved in the admissions process for the MA program as well.

Edited by suhba7

3 hours ago, suhba7 said:

@ibn daoud Do you think there is any chance that the MDiv decisions will come out on a different day than the MA decisions at UChicago, since the deadline for the MDiv program was a week later? Or is it all part of the same pool of applications? Just wondering if it is possible that MA students could hear today, or if the people you talked to also were involved in the admissions process for the MA program as well.

Sorry! I've been at work since I wrote that last message. This was briefly explained to me, and don't quote me because I don't remember completely, but my understanding was that all the applications were pooled together for the committee... That didn't make sense, and I didn't ask for clarification... But who knows. I wish I could tell you for sure! 

Everything I know is for the MDiv program, I sort of assumed that results would be released together. 

On 3/1/2017 at 3:09 PM, avocet said:

Congrats!! Best of luck on UChicago and HDS!

Hoping tomorrow will be the day that I hear back from Union and BU.

BU GRDS or SoT?  I applied to both and already heard from BU SoT but not GRDS.

41 minutes ago, Lysdexia said:

BU GRDS or SoT?  I applied to both and already heard from BU SoT but not GRDS.

SoT (M.Div.). I still haven't heard back. I'm not sure if this is a bad sign or just a result of having rolling admissions. I'm also not sure if all the acceptances that are being reported are just folks eligible for the full-tuition fellowship (which I am not eligible for). 

Edited by avocet

20 hours ago, avocet said:

SoT (M.Div.). I still haven't heard back. I'm not sure if this is a bad sign or just a result of having rolling admissions. I'm also not sure if all the acceptances that are being reported are just folks eligible for the full-tuition fellowship (which I am not eligible for). 

I was accepted Feb 16 for MTS at the SoT.  I also applied to GRDS but I read somewhere they don't release information till mid April, so I asked for an extension - I'm sure they saw on my application that I applied to both colleges, and so they extended till April 21st.

Happy to answer questions from within Duke MA. 

All students get offered 40% funding. Above that, AFTER everyone has commit, the two students who were highest on the pile get an additional... I think it's 2k a year. Not a lot and it wasn't me. Over that, at least one of the fields gives an additional 5k a year and that's based on your personal statement and known interests. Your best bet is to email the advisor you're most interested in the topics of (though the pull at Duke is certainly the flexibility) and tell them you really want to come but need to ask if they have any advice on extra funding. 

Most likely, though, you're getting the 40% and work study if you qualify. We tell ourself it's Duke and the loans will be worth it but who knows. 

On 3/3/2017 at 10:10 PM, suhba7 said:

As far as I know a bunch of people have already heard from the MA program and none from the MDiv program yet. so if you're waiting on MA answers they'll be soon if you haven't already heard since posting this. GOOD LUCK!

@BeeKayCee Do you mean the CMES MA? I was actually referring to the religious studies  MA which I don't think anyone has heard from. Do you know people who have been accepted to the religion MA within the divinity school? 

Thanks! 

40 minutes ago, BeeKayCee said:

As far as I know a bunch of people have already heard from the MA program and none from the MDiv program yet. so if you're waiting on MA answers they'll be soon if you haven't already heard since posting this. GOOD LUCK!

Hi? It's the first time I get the news that some MA appicants already heard from UChi Divinity School. Do you think it should be a bad sign to be unnoticed so far? I thought 'the UC day' would be monday or tuesday.. 

7 hours ago, suhba7 said:

@BeeKayCee Do you mean the CMES MA? I was actually referring to the religious studies  MA which I don't think anyone has heard from. Do you know people who have been accepted to the religion MA within the divinity school? 

Thanks! 

Sorry @suhba7 and @Johnny.S I was not clear. the CMES MA has already come out, the Divinity school all says next week. I interpreted the question asking when the MA vs. MDiv results came out as being the comparison for the two colleges. Ignore me. 

@BeeKayCee Totally fine :) We are all going through the changes at different paces and in different ways. Because of this stressful situation, I also tend to fidget and lose focus easily, I guess I also have made a mistake. 

Best of luck!

On 3/5/2017 at 1:51 PM, chaosmosaic said:

All students get offered 40% funding. Above that, AFTER everyone has commit, the two students who were highest on the pile get an additional... I think it's 2k a year. Not a lot and it wasn't me. Over that, at least one of the fields gives an additional 5k a year and that's based on your personal statement and known interests. Your best bet is to email the advisor you're most interested in the topics of (though the pull at Duke is certainly the flexibility) and tell them you really want to come but need to ask if they have any advice on extra funding.

Thanks for the heads up..  I have read your comment and all of my questions(on additional funding) have been answered to my satisfaction.  If you don't mind, may I ask you some questions about 'life in Duke' via PM? 

So... Still no word on UChicago Divinity for MDiv? Tomorrow then God willing?

I'm in Cambridge visiting HDS and again I had a dream last night someone told me I didn't get in and I was a terrible applicant. I'm ready for those dreams to be over!