How are all your apps going? I am about to submit one of my applications now and wanted to see where everyone else was in the process. Compared to the 2017 and 2016 threads it doesn't seem like there are as many applicants this round.

THIS IS SO EXCITING & NERVE WRACKING.

10 hours ago, KevinJHa said:

How are all your apps going? I am about to submit one of my applications now and wanted to see where everyone else was in the process. Compared to the 2017 and 2016 threads it doesn't seem like there are as many applicants this round.

THIS IS SO EXCITING & NERVE WRACKING.

Thanks for offering to read my statement Kevin! I will take you up on that in a while!

Yeah we are barely on page 2! Guess less competition for us! :P

I've been lurking for a while, but I'm also applying for Fall 2018. 

I come from Anthropology but I feel my thematic and theoretical interests are better represented in Sociology. My subfields are political sociology with an emphasis on social movements. I'm also interested in socioeconomic inequality and higher education (which ties into my social movements interest). I'm applying to UCLA, Berkeley, UC Irvine, UT Austin, Northwestern, CUNY and UCSD.

I'm still working on my essays (SOP and the Personal Histories that the UC schools require), as well as freaking out about how one professor hasn't submitted her LOR for me (not sure if I should email her and remind her or if she already knows...how common is it for professors to wait until the very last minute to submit their LORs?)

Also I'm willing to do an SOP exchange with anyone, albeit this is my first time applying to grad school in the US, so I'm not sure how helpful my comments would be

On 11/8/2017 at 10:08 AM, nywnorb120191 said:

I've been lurking for a while, but I'm also applying for Fall 2018. 

I come from Anthropology but I feel my thematic and theoretical interests are better represented in Sociology. My subfields are political sociology with an emphasis on social movements. I'm also interested in socioeconomic inequality and higher education (which ties into my social movements interest). I'm applying to UCLA, Berkeley, UC Irvine, UT Austin, Northwestern, CUNY and UCSD.

I'm still working on my essays (SOP and the Personal Histories that the UC schools require), as well as freaking out about how one professor hasn't submitted her LOR for me (not sure if I should email her and remind her or if she already knows...how common is it for professors to wait until the very last minute to submit their LORs?)

Also I'm willing to do an SOP exchange with anyone, albeit this is my first time applying to grad school in the US, so I'm not sure how helpful my comments would be

Have you considered applying to NYU? They have a lot of faculty in your stated research interests and I feel like you would have good fit in that department. They're all about social movements and inequality. 

Yes it is very common for professors to wait until the last minute, but it would be good to stick on them and remind them. Also keep in mind recommendations don't have to be in by the deadline, I've heard of recommenders sending in their letters even a month late and I've heard this doesn't affect your consideration.

I'd be willing to take a look at your SoP and provide some general feedback! I already submitted my most of my applications so my SoP is finalized.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I'm applying to Sociology this year (with one Gender Studies program) with interests in embodiment, contraceptives and reproductive health, and how people make health decisions based on cultural/social/technological influences (very broad but I don't want to go into too much detail here!). I have a good undergrad degree in History from Oxbridge, a distinction in my sociology MSc from top London university, and I'm currently working as a public health researcher in sub-Saharan Africa (have been in the sector for 2.5 years). As an international applicant this process has been very long and drawn out for me but I think I'm finally getting there ...

My question for the forum is really about the GRE. I have 168V, 154Q and 6A. I'm applying to UW-Madison, Emory and UC Berkeley at the moment and would like to add Columbia, Yale and Brown as they all have overlapping interests and faculty in my area. What do you think of my chances with those scores? My GPA is somewhere around 3.8 based on online conversions, and I've had good advice from faculty in both the UK and US on my SoP and writing samples so I'm (relatively) happy with those. I'm also taking an online stats course at the moment which I've mentioned in the SoP to make up for the GRE quant scores. Any thoughts?

Hey @abenz,

I would guess that you are planning on doing mostly qualitative work, is that correct? From what I can tell, the programs you are applying to are not super quant-focused, which would play to your advantage. Your V score is obviously superb, but the quant score could be concerning some people. Nonetheless, given that you have research experience and prior education with some pedigree, I think that you are aiming at the right schools. My guess is that you should be fine, but (especially since the process can be quite the crapshoot) you won't know anything until after you've applied. 

5 hours ago, European Lumpi said:

I would guess that you are planning on doing mostly qualitative work, is that correct? 

Very much so! In fact I've ruled out a couple of heavy-quant programmes (Princeton requires you to write a publication level quant-based paper, so I discounted there for example). I'm glad to hear that you think the programmes are suitable, it's just so tough to work out which top-tier schools might accept me. Thanks for commenting :)

So, I feel like I haven't been here forever! But I just finished submitting my applications for this cycle.

A bit about myself: Undergrad GPA was 3.82 (4.00 Sociology; 3.92 Anthropology; 4.0 English Minor) Graduate GPA was 3.60 (with a minor in Research Methodology). I think I have good amount of research & teaching experience. Currently working as a research assistant. But my GRE scores are horrible! 146V. 144Q, 3.5W

I only applied to the following: Pennsylvania State University, University of Pennsylvania, University of Minnesota, University of Alabama at Birmingham, and Stanford University. 

I'm so scared because my scores are really bad and they're expiring next year. I'm also not a very good test taker. I come from a U.S. Territory (I grew up there and went to undergrad), but moved to Missouri for graduate school. I applied for 2014 (got rejected to all 8 programs) & in 2015 I applied to 5 MA programs and got into 3.

I feel like I put all my eggs into this basket. I'm really freaking out to the point where I cried after I submitted my last application the other day :(

@pinoysoc Congrats! Submitting applications is stressful, it's really great that you've finished though. It sounds like you have a good background, even if you don't like your GRE scores, so hopefully you can focus on the positives, there's nothing you can do now :)

General question for everyone: I'm applying for six universities and think I have a great shot at 3 and an okay shot at the others. Is six enough? I know you only need one acceptance but I'm on the fence about another university (not a great placement record, but good faculty in my field) and I could probably put an application together. It'd be my 7th choice but I'd go if they accepted me and the funding was good. But maybe six is okay? My choices are really spread across the top 30 as well - this would be the lowest ranked of all my choices, so could act as a safety school. How many is everyone else applying to? Am I worrying over nothing?

Edited by abenz
Punctuation

1 hour ago, abenz said:

@pinoysoc Congrats! Submitting applications is stressful, it's really great that you've finished though. It sounds like you have a good background, even if you don't like your GRE scores, so hopefully you can focus on the positives, there's nothing you can do now :)

General question for everyone: I'm applying for six universities and think I have a great shot at 3 and an okay shot at the others. Is six enough? I know you only need one acceptance but I'm on the fence about another university (not a great placement record, but good faculty in my field) and I could probably put an application together. It'd be my 7th choice but I'd go if they accepted me and the funding was good. But maybe six is okay? My choices are really spread across the top 30 as well - this would be the lowest ranked of all my choices, so could act as a safety school. How many is everyone else applying to? Am I worrying over nothing?

@abenz thank you!

I think the number of schools you apply to is totally up to you! I personally think there's no magic number of schools. it all comes down to: 1) how good of a fit is the program to your research interests; 2) which programs/school has the best resources to help you in finishing the program; And 3) how much money are you willing to spend for applications?

I understand the whole concept of safety schools, but from experience, the safety school I always thought of as a "safety" school turned out to be a program I wouldn't try applying to again. This particular school/program lost all my materials (i.e. transcripts, GRE scores, etc.) and had to call them personally to sort things out. The last time I applied to that school, they accepted me last minute because I did all that running around and expected me to make a decision right there and then with no assistanship offers. I was bummed out when I turned them down because the program I ended up going to took the time to do a formal interview and gave me an assistanship around the same time. 

Sorry for digressing, but it's really up to you in regards as to how many schools you end up applying to! Remember that you have to put in a lot of time and effort into crafting the materials for the schools and not every school asks for the same thing! I hope this information helps!

I'd say apply to as many schools as you feel like you have a good research fit with, and if you're interests aren't super broad or super niche, that should be around 5-10 (IMO). I wouldn't recommend applying to more than 10 because application fees are expensive (though I guess if you have a waiver, apply to as many as you want).

Thanks both! Yes, 5-10 sounds like good advice. I think for my own sanity I will stick to the 6 I have for now - the 7th program's deadline is in January so I'll see how I feel after a couple of weeks break. I don't have a waiver - unfortunately international students don't get offered waivers, even if I am working for very little in international development!

Hi guys! This is my first application cycle, super excited!!

I'm about to finish up my undergrad in human rights and anthropology at Uconn next semester, and am applying to:

Uconn, UPenn, NYU, Boston U, Boston C, Columbia, Brown, and Princeton (long-shot) 

GRE scores are 155 verbal / 153 Quant / 4.5 Writing

Undergrad GPA of 3.8

Interests are: social inequality/stratification, social policy, refugee policy, immigration

Hoping to get into my #1 choice - NYU! I think it will be a very good fit for me. Best of luck to everyone!

Edited by mariahbal96

2 hours ago, mariahbal96 said:

Hi guys! This is my first application cycle, super excited!!

I'm about to finish up my undergrad in human rights and anthropology at Uconn next semester, and am applying to:

Uconn, UPenn, NYU, Boston U, Boston C, Columbia, Brown, and Princeton (long-shot) 

GRE scores are 155 verbal / 153 Quant / 4.5 Writing

Undergrad GPA of 3.8

Interests are: social inequality/stratification, social policy, refugee policy, immigration

Hoping to get into my #1 choice - NYU! I think it will be a very good fit for me. Best of luck to everyone!

Good luck! I applied to UPenn as well! Great stats by the way!

4 minutes ago, pinoysoc said:

Good luck! I applied to UPenn as well! Great stats by the way!

Thank you!! I think my GRE scores are a little low but hoping other aspects of my application will be strong enough for admission. Best of luck to you too!

16 minutes ago, mariahbal96 said:

Thank you!! I think my GRE scores are a little low but hoping other aspects of my application will be strong enough for admission. Best of luck to you too!

Don't worry about your GRE scores! Mine are horrible at 146V/144Q. Took it last minute 4 years ago for my first round of applications. Freaking out because they expire next year and I'm not a great test taker!

Hi everyone! I finally caved in and decided to not be a lurker anymore.

This will be my first application cycle. My interests are medical sociology, mental health, sociology of knowledge, science and technology studies, and social psychology.

The schools I’m applying to are (in no particular order): U of Iowa, UW-Madison, Indiana Bloomington, Rutgers, CU Boulder, UCSF, UCSD, Yale, Vanderbilt, U of New Mexico. 

GRE: 164V, 156Q, 5.5AW

GPA: 3.9

Social sciences major who also did graduate work in a health field

I already submitted the applications to Rutgers and CU Boulder and I’m nearly done with UW-Madison. I can’t wait until apps are done. I’m really excited but also nervous. Good luck to everyone applying! 

Hi y'all!

First-time poster, long time lurker. 

This will also be my first application cycle. My interests are a triangle field between social stratification, public education, and network science/computational sociology. I have research experience in educational sociology, as well as network science/computational methodology. The network science research is what I really hope brings my application together, since that was a solo larger project funded by the NSF. I know my letters of rec are strong (one prominent computational professor, an assistant professor in educational soc, and a school of ed. lecturer that I've been conducting research with for a while). GRE: 166V/160Q, 5.0 Writing. GPA: 3.8 overall, 3.95 soc. 

What I'm nervous about is the statement of purpose, I feel like I've read it so many times it's no longer comprised of discrete sentences! My transcript is also a mess, I'm a transfer student at a large public university who has also attended private college and community college (so I have a handful of random G.E.'s that make less sense in context and bring down my gpa).

I'm applying all over:

UCSB

UC Berkeley 

Stanford (SHIPs program, joint doctorate in Education and Sociology)

Duke

Notre Dame

Princeton

Harvard

UChicago

UMichigan - Ann Arbor

Madison - Wisconsin

I also have a backup Masters program that doesn't require applications until March, so if none of those reach schools work out, I will just apply there since it's local and I am confident I could get in. 

Good luck everyone!

Following suit with the other lurker-turned-posters. Applying to grad school for the first time this fall to PhD programs in Sociology, with interests in social stratification, reproductive health, and survey methodology.

3.82 GPA from a political science/public health degree with strong background in research as an undergraduate (completed a thesis that was awarded some substantial prizes), 168V/161Q/5.0AW GRE scores, 3 years in health-related research. I've got letters from my undergraduate thesis advisor as well as two PhDs who I have authored papers with (the papers have had a public health bent, though one of my recommenders has a degree in Sociology). Feeling MOSTLY good about my applications, but nervous about the general feeling that the whole thing is a bit of a crap shoot-- it all depends on who is on the receiving end of my materials!

Applying to: Stanford, UT Austin, UNC Chapel Hill, University of Michigan, UPenn, Harvard, NYU, and Maryland.

I've got three apps in, and hoping to roll through the rest of them in the next week. Good luck, all! Looking forward to when we've gotten everything submitted and start hearing back.

Hello there! I am also applying for Sociology this year, with a concentration in economic sociology and social stratification. 

3.85 GPA from a top Liberal Arts College with a double major in Economics & History. Have been working as a consulting analyst at a global Financial Tech firm for 1.5+ years, first in New York and now in China. 

GRE: 165V/169Q/4.5AW ... poor writing score I know :(

My biggest concern is in my Writing sample selection as I don't  have a single-authored paper in social science. Have a senior thesis in social history and a co-authored class paper in Econometrics (I'm the primary author). Was wondering if submitting a history thesis is a long shot??? Or maybe I should use my co-authored econ. paper instead? 

Applying to: Stanford, Wisconsin, Berkeley, Harvard, Chicago, Columbia, Princeton 

All are pretty long shots, as I don't have a sociology background and have been out of school for almost 2 years... Haven't published any paper in undergrad either...

Best luck everyone!!! 

Deadlines are so closeeeee  

I am interested in - Criminology, Urban Sociology, Criminal Justice, Social Control, Social Stratification, and Deviance 

I have gotten my list down:

- Washington State University (Wait-listed last cycle)

- University of New Mexico 

- University at Albany SUNY

- University of Delaware 

- Colorado State University 

- University of North Carolina at Greensboro

Pro's of Application - 

- Undergraduate research paper publication in peer reviewed journal 

- Great recommendation letters 

- Two research presentations

- Strong personal statment

- Strong writing sample

- Major GPA 3.7

- National Academic Award

Con's of Application 

- Overall GPA 3.4 

- Low GRE scores AWA (4.5) Verbal (154) Quant (143) ***am re-taking at last minute***

- Non-Traditional Older Student - no extra school activities 

****FINGERS CROSSED***** I am admitted into a school this cycle

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

Just thought I'd say hello and good luck to everyone on this thread! I'm a fellow applicant this year to the following schools (listed in order of app submission deadlines): Berkeley; Cornell (Development Sociology); University of Wisconsin-Madison; Brown University; MSU; TAMU (perhaps, still mulling over this one); JHU (Program on Global Social Change); and McGill (I did my MA here in poli. sci.). As you can probably guess, I am interested in sociology of development. My main areas of interest are class and race/ ethnicity formation; migration; and citizenship. They sound quite disparate, I know, but after four years of thinking and writing (and lots of wandering) I seem to be able to synthesize these topics to a certain degree.

I could post my stats here, if they are useful. Writing them out felt weird and self-promoting, but honestly I'm happy to share them in the forum or through direct messaging if anyone feels that I should.

The Gradcafe community was a great resource for me when I was still wandering between 2013 and 2016. I don't come here as often anymore, but I wanted to say hi to fellow aspiring sociologists this year! Good luck!

This is my first rodeo for PhD applications, so I wanted to make an account and share! Can't believe I didn't know about this site before.

I'm a Sociology MA student right now, getting my degree in March 2018; I'm *really* hoping for a PhD program, but will probably be doing some soul searching if I don't get in.

My research interests are pretty wide, but are mostly unified in some way by the sociology of science (especially critically examining "science of difference", ie race and sex); medical sociology, social epidemiology, race and racism, gender and sexuality, and critical criminology. 

Stats: 

Undergrad GPA (Psychology major) was ~3.630

Graduate GPA (Sociology MA) is 4.0

GRE is 166V, 151Q, 4.5AW (Ugh, awful except the verbal)

TA and brief RA experience 

Some quantitative coursework

Nontraditional student (about 4 years younger than normative students; this could help OR hurt me)

Applying to:

University of Chicago (submitted)

Northwestern University (in progress)

University of Michigan Ann Arbor (in progress)

University of Wisconsin Madison (in progress)

University of Pennsylvania  (in progress)

Indiana University Bloomington (in progress)

Good luck everybody! I'm itching to hear back already, and a majority of my apps aren't even submitted yet. 

14 minutes ago, latemeg said:

This is my first rodeo for PhD applications, so I wanted to make an account and share! Can't believe I didn't know about this site before.

I'm a Sociology MA student right now, getting my degree in March 2018; I'm *really* hoping for a PhD program, but will probably be doing some soul searching if I don't get in.

My research interests are pretty wide, but are mostly unified in some way by the sociology of science (especially critically examining "science of difference", ie race and sex); medical sociology, social epidemiology, race and racism, gender and sexuality, and critical criminology. 

Stats: 

Undergrad GPA (Psychology major) was ~3.630

Graduate GPA (Sociology MA) is 4.0

GRE is 166V, 151Q, 4.5AW (Ugh, awful except the verbal)

TA and brief RA experience 

Some quantitative coursework

Nontraditional student (about 4 years younger than normative students; this could help OR hurt me)

Applying to:

University of Chicago (submitted)

Northwestern University (in progress)

University of Michigan Ann Arbor (in progress)

University of Wisconsin Madison (in progress)

University of Pennsylvania  (in progress)

Indiana University Bloomington (in progress)

Good luck everybody! I'm itching to hear back already, and a majority of my apps aren't even submitted yet. 

OMG! Good luck! I was supposed to apply during my last year of my MA, but decided not too. Now, I'm nervous because I currently work full time and been so lax about school! What are your research interests?

On 12/6/2017 at 2:37 PM, chen48y said:

My biggest concern is in my Writing sample selection as I don't  have a single-authored paper in social science. Have a senior thesis in social history and a co-authored class paper in Econometrics (I'm the primary author). Was wondering if submitting a history thesis is a long shot??? Or maybe I should use my co-authored econ. paper instead? 

Hi! I can't speak for all universities but I think that a few of the ones I've applied to covered this in their FAQ section. I think the consensus was that you should apply with a single-authored paper, even from outside your field, because then they know exactly what is "yours" within the writing sample. And I think a lot of people change focus, what matters is the ability to write well, synthesise complex ideas, argue persuasively - all of which you can demonstrate in a history thesis.