Choices and Decisions

seung

Menge, the one who started the 'PhD Applications Fall '17 Season' topic, mentioned that it may be a good idea to start a new discussion where people can share their decisions--where they will accepting or rejecting offers, and where they are waitlisted.  So, if you are willing, let's start up some conversations, and hopefully, those of us who are interested in the same schools can work something out.

I suppose I can get this going. I am on 3 waitlists: UVA (TEC), Brown (RCT), and PTS (Theology).  Brown has told me that the waitlist is "very short," and UVA has told me that it is "not very long." At least for the past few years, quite a few of entering PTS students have been off the waitlist,  but I fear that I may be towards the bottom there.  Anyone know anything about the situation at any of these schools? How frequently does UVA and Brown admits students off the waitlist?

Edited by seung

4 hours ago, seung said:

I suppose I can get this going. I am on 3 waitlists: UVA (TEC), Brown (RCT), and PTS (Theology).  Brown has told me that the waitlist is "very short," and UVA has told me that it is "not very long." At least for the past few years, quite a few of entering PTS students have been off the waitlist,  but I fear that I may be towards the bottom there.  Anyone know anything about the situation at any of these schools? How frequently does UVA and Brown admits students off the waitlist?

Don't know anything about the UVA waitlist, but I do know that as of now 3 out of the 13 initial offers have been accepted. 

Edited by menge
typo

1 hour ago, menge said:

Don't know anything about the UVA waitlist, but I do know that as of now 3 out of the 13 initial offers have been accepted. 

Wait this is UVA you were talking about? Or brown. Just confused because of ur disclaimer that you don't know anything about UVA.

Edited by seung

47 minutes ago, seung said:

Wait this is UVA you were talking about? Or brown. Just confused because of ur disclaimer that you don't know anything about UVA.

It is UVA, sorry. I only meant to suggest I don't know anything about the UVA waitlist. 

49 minutes ago, seung said:

Second on the waitlist at Union 

Damn, not sure I've ever heard of an applicant with so many waitlists in one season. Being #2 in line seems like pretty good news though. Here's to hoping you get in somewhere! 

11 hours ago, seung said:

Few years ago, two of my friends were waitlisted but both of them finally got offer from PTS.

12 minutes ago, axiomness said:

I am waitlisted at Fordham, Baylor, Loyola Chicago, and Marquette (with no acceptances...)

We are in the same boat (4 waitlists). Do you know where you stand on those waitlists?

16 minutes ago, seung said:

We are in the same boat (4 waitlists). Do you know where you stand on those waitlists?

You have my sympathies! Do you have any acceptances? I do still have yet to hear from a few programs but by-and-large I think this is where I sit.

I'm "very close" at Marquette and Fordham, not sure at Loyola, and further down at Baylor. This is pretty vague though so I wouldn't hold out on those assessments much.

Edited by axiomness

I thought it'd be fun to add more waitlists to the list, and maybe we can soon get a sense of how long these waitlists are. So I (a systematic theology applicant) am waitlisted at CUA, Marquette (I was told that I was third on the list, btw) and Baylor. I haven't been accepted anywhere yet, and my hope for a direct offer is at Notre Dame (my top school), where I interviewed this weekend and expect to hear back by Friday or Saturday. 

Edited by Anxious Annex

16 minutes ago, seung said:

When do people typically begin to get off of waitlists?

Begins immediately but it speeds up the closer to April 15 as people who may be accepted one place wait to hear back from waitlists/schools that haven't notified. For the program I'm attending, I was waitlisted at the end of February got off in the middle of March.

23 minutes ago, Rabbit Run said:

Begins immediately but it speeds up the closer to April 15 as people who may be accepted one place wait to hear back from waitlists/schools that haven't notified. For the program I'm attending, I was waitlisted at the end of February got off in the middle of March.

Thanks. I'm guessing that there is the added factor that a lot of people admitted to multiple programs will also be visiting potential schools and mulling over decisions.  It may be a while before any news come rolling in to those on waitlists.

I am accepted at SMU. Waiting to visit with my wife for their recruitment weekend March 23 to officially accept the offer, but at this point it's very likely I will.

6 minutes ago, jsant09 said:

I am accepted at SMU. Waiting to visit with my wife for their recruitment weekend March 23 to officially accept the offer, but at this point it's very likely I will.

Congrats jsant! U waitlisted anywhere else? Just in case the info can help anyone else here.

Edited by seung

55 minutes ago, jsant09 said:

Congrats! Is SMU South Methodist University? I guess its in Texas?

2 hours ago, seung said:

Congrats jsant! U waitlisted anywhere else? Just in case the info can help anyone else here.

Thanks for the congrats. I only applied to two schools, wasn't very sure I would get into either: 1 acceptance, 1 rejection (Notre Dame). 

2 hours ago, hhbchis said:

Congrats! Is SMU South Methodist University? I guess its in Texas?

Yes, that's the one. Southern Methodist in Dallas. 

If you haven't heard back from a program that has sent out at least some acceptances and rejections, is it poor form to email the program and ask about when you might hear from them? I'm sure they get a lot of that, but I'm needing to make some decisions.

1 hour ago, rheya19 said:

If you haven't heard back from a program that has sent out at least some acceptances and rejections, is it poor form to email the program and ask about when you might hear from them? I'm sure they get a lot of that, but I'm needing to make some decisions.

I did this last week and received responses from each within hours, and no one seemed to take offense. I indicated I needed to make decisions, but wanted to hear from them before deciding. I think its perfectly acceptable to contact them.