Jump to content
seung

Choices and Decisions

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, seung said:

What does it mean to be provisionally accepted 

It might be institution dependent, but the way it was explained to me was that it provisional/conditional admission is granted until they receive all my official transcripts and confirm that my MA was conferred, etc. So it allows me to register for Fall classes, but I have to graduate with my MA and send in transcripts to be unconditionally accepted. 

Though in the Union case above, it seems to have meant something different. 

Edited by menge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, seung said:

What does it mean to be provisionally accepted 

I mean there was an acceptance, then a "hey are you coming here?" (to which the reply was, "well I need to hear from other schools...") then a "oh we made a mistake" followed by waitlisting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Rabbit Run said:

I mean there was an acceptance, then a "hey are you coming here?" (to which the reply was, "well I need to hear from other schools...") then a "oh we made a mistake" followed by waitlisting.

Sounds like Union pulled a "We're not their first choice so if accepted somewhere else they'll turn us down. So, lets find a reason to rescind the offer." Which is easy enough to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rabbit Run said:

I mean there was an acceptance, then a "hey are you coming here?" (to which the reply was, "well I need to hear from other schools...") then a "oh we made a mistake" followed by waitlisting.

yikes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, xypathos said:

Sounds like Union pulled a "We're not their first choice so if accepted somewhere else they'll turn us down. So, lets find a reason to rescind the offer." Which is easy enough to do.

Something similar happened at Michigan last year in the Anthropology dept. Notices of acceptance were erroneously posted on the application portal of numerous applicants, only to change to rejections a day or so later. They ended up refunding a lot of application fees. What a fiasco. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, menge said:

Something similar happened at Michigan last year in the Anthropology dept. Notices of acceptance were erroneously posted on the application portal of numerous applicants, only to change to rejections a day or so later. They ended up refunding a lot of application fees. What a fiasco. 

Just to clarify, what I brought up is not a case of UTS rescinding an offer of acceptance. I am unaware of such things taking place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, xypathos said:

Sounds like Union pulled a "We're not their first choice so if accepted somewhere else they'll turn us down. So, lets find a reason to rescind the offer." Which is easy enough to do.

It's not easy to do if the offer includes any financial support and the school is part of this: http://cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfiles/files/CGSResolution_Jan2017.pdf 

If a school is part of this resolution, which includes just about every major public and private institution in the country, they can't rescind an offer of financial support under any circumstances before April 15. 

You'll notice that there aren't any seminaries listed though, so technically Union isn't under any obligation like this. However what you're describing is unlikely to happen. Schools don't tend to rescind offers because they think a student will go elsewhere. They want who they think are the best people to choose their program. So even though seminaries aren't part of this resolution, they still tend to abide by it in practice because they hope that students will choose them and know that students may be deciding between them and a school that is part of the resolution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, marXian said:

It's not easy to do if the offer includes any financial support and the school is part of this: http://cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfiles/files/CGSResolution_Jan2017.pdf 

If a school is part of this resolution, which includes just about every major public and private institution in the country, they can't rescind an offer of financial support under any circumstances before April 15. 

You'll notice that there aren't any seminaries listed though, so technically Union isn't under any obligation like this. However what you're describing is unlikely to happen. Schools don't tend to rescind offers because they think a student will go elsewhere. They want who they think are the best people to choose their program. So even though seminaries aren't part of this resolution, they still tend to abide by it in practice because they hope that students will choose them and know that students may be deciding between them and a school that is part of the resolution.

Certainly, and I should add that my friend's experience is anecdotal and likely colored by embellishment over the years; so take it with a grain of salt.

Likely was an honest mistake on Union's part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rabbit Run said:

Certainly, and I should add that my friend's experience is anecdotal and likely colored by embellishment over the years; so take it with a grain of salt.

Likely was an honest mistake on Union's part.

Right and I certainly didn't mean to diminish your friend's experience or anything. Like I said, if a school isn't part of that resolution, technically anything could happen. I just wanted to clarify because there had been some confusion earlier either on this thread or a different one about whether or not you're allowed to make a school wait before accepting their offer, if that can affect you negatively, etc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing that the activity on this thread is decreasing, it seems both that there is not much news and that most people don't have much news to await. I am hoping/expecting to hear back from UTS this week.  Other than that, still have PTS, UVA and Brown to hear back from. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, seung said:

Seeing that the activity on this thread is decreasing, it seems both that there is not much news and that most people don't have much news to await. I am hoping/expecting to hear back from UTS this week.  Other than that, still have PTS, UVA and Brown to hear back from. 

I am still waiting for UPenn. I wrote them an email last Thursday, but no reply....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, seung said:

Seeing that the activity on this thread is decreasing, it seems both that there is not much news and that most people don't have much news to await. I am hoping/expecting to hear back from UTS this week.  Other than that, still have PTS, UVA and Brown to hear back from. 

This week and next week may have more offers coming to those on wait lists. Realistically, those who have been accepted into two programs but still waiting to hear from their top choice will have to make a decision soon. So here's to the waitlist domino's falling soon for those who are waiting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Eshtah said:

I am still waiting for UPenn. I wrote them an email last Thursday, but no reply....

Penn has made its offers already, sorry to be sharing potentially disappointing news. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Also, a lot of schools have already had their visits for first round admits. Unless these first round folks are waiting to hear back from their own wait lists, some of them should be making their decision soon. At least, they should… To be considerate to those of us who are stuck in limbo for now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No news here, except that I got a slightly unclear email from the area director at one of my waitlist schools. The email seemed to say that he was trying to set up a fellowship for me, but that the decision wasn't his. I guess that means that he is trying to get an extra funded spot for me. Does it?
I also heard from Baylor. Prof. Nogalski said (last week) that one of the two offers was still up in the air (they were still waiting for a decision from the initial recipient of the offer). Also, he said that the waitlist for the theology subfield wasn't ranked yet (maybe he was just being evasive on this point, though).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Anxious Annex said:

No news here, except that I got a slightly unclear email from the area director at one of my waitlist schools. The email seemed to say that he was trying to set up a fellowship for me, but that the decision wasn't his. I guess that means that he is trying to get an extra funded spot for me. Does it?
I also heard from Baylor. Prof. Nogalski said (last week) that one of the two offers was still up in the air (they were still waiting for a decision from the initial recipient of the offer). Also, he said that the waitlist for the theology subfield wasn't ranked yet (maybe he was just being evasive on this point, though).

 

I had a good discussion regarding the Baylor waitlist (two weeks ago) with Dr. Nogalski as well. Their reasoning was very vague in that they have a diverse applicant pool in Theology for only two spots, so they want to make sure that they don't get two people who are doing the same kind of thing, essentially. In short, they don't rank because they want to play it by ear. FWIW, he lamentably told me when he called me that the one person who did accept would've likely been the spot I had a chance to get, so I think for me at least there's little to no chance at Baylor :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, axiomness said:

I had a good discussion regarding the Baylor waitlist (two weeks ago) with Dr. Nogalski as well. Their reasoning was very vague in that they have a diverse applicant pool in Theology for only two spots, so they want to make sure that they don't get two people who are doing the same kind of thing, essentially. In short, they don't rank because they want to play it by ear. FWIW, he lamentably told me when he called me that the one person who did accept would've likely been the spot I had a chance to get, so I think for me at least there's little to no chance at Baylor :(

I have yet to hear anything from Baylor re: the waitlist in my area (Church History). Getting really antsy about it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of schools closed today because of the snowstorm that hit the northeast. So, probably won't be hearing much today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone else having trouble with UVA's online application? Also, could these schools just get back to us already?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, seung said:

Is anyone else having trouble with UVA's online application? Also, could these schools just get back to us already?

Seems to be working fine for me, though still no decision from them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2017 at 0:10 PM, KnightGeorge said:

Great news! Baylor contacted me and I am in off the waitlist! Huzzah! 

Congratulations! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Union (UTS) has put me through a lot of anxiety, but finally this morning they gave me a final word: Rejection. Oh well. At least now I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On March 1, 2017 at 10:36 AM, seung said:

Anyone else here waitlisted at UVA?

Hey, I've been lurking on this forum for a week or so and figured I'd finally join the conversation. I've been waitlisted for the program at UVA as well; haven't heard anything for quite a while. Any news for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.