Recommended Posts

I'm also unsure how much debt is reasonable. Currently trying to decide between two schools, one in DC with an assistantship, and the other a cheaper state school. With the assistantship, I'd be taking out about 45-50k in loans for the two years including cost of living (DC's insanely expensive to live in.) The next cheapest school would be around 35k for the two years. I've heard the general rule of thumb is to not take out more than entry level salary (so for us around 50-60k). Do you guys think the DC school is worth the extra money, especially since I'd have the asssistantship work to add to my resume? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, joyannna said:

I'm also unsure how much debt is reasonable. Currently trying to decide between two schools, one in DC with an assistantship, and the other a cheaper state school. With the assistantship, I'd be taking out about 45-50k in loans for the two years including cost of living (DC's insanely expensive to live in.) The next cheapest school would be around 35k for the two years. I've heard the general rule of thumb is to not take out more than entry level salary (so for us around 50-60k). Do you guys think the DC school is worth the extra money, especially since I'd have the asssistantship work to add to my resume? 

It depends, do you have loans from undergrad? I also am deciding between programs, 2 are private and would cost around 45-50k without funding, and my in-state options are more like 29-34k without funding. Since I have loans from undergrad, my private options most likely won't be feasible unless I get a good funding offer.

If you don't have any other loans or a very small amount, it could be worth it, but if you can see yourself happy at the state school too it's always better to have less debt than more haha

Edited by JcSLP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Callen said:

I'm going to bump this back up because I just realized the cost of going to Milwaukee, and I'm real nervous lol.

YES!  I cannot begin to fathom what's about to happen if I go to school in Virginia.  I need to win the lottery ASAP.  (too bad I don't play the lottery).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else frustrated with how non-transparent some of these schools are with their tuition costs?  Most of the schools I've applied to leave it to you to figure out the tuition, providing charts with fees per credits, additional student fees, etc....  Why can't they just tell us how much it will cost?  I spent an hour last week making calculations for my schools and crying (well not actually crying but you know).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, jamielee23 said:

Anyone else frustrated with how non-transparent some of these schools are with their tuition costs?  Most of the schools I've applied to leave it to you to figure out the tuition, providing charts with fees per credits, additional student fees, etc....  Why can't they just tell us how much it will cost?  I spent an hour last week making calculations for my schools and crying (well not actually crying but you know).

Agreed!! Why does it need to be that confusing? I wish it was just like "here is your tuition as an SLP doing a masters"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2017 at 3:35 PM, Auuudriana said:

Yep. I got a $20k scholarship for one year.  They say they have them available for next year as well. But besides that, I have a full-time job.

Have you started clinical practicum yet? If so, how are you balancing working with clinicals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2017 at 8:52 PM, joyannna said:

I'm also unsure how much debt is reasonable. Currently trying to decide between two schools, one in DC with an assistantship, and the other a cheaper state school. With the assistantship, I'd be taking out about 45-50k in loans for the two years including cost of living (DC's insanely expensive to live in.) The next cheapest school would be around 35k for the two years. I've heard the general rule of thumb is to not take out more than entry level salary (so for us around 50-60k). Do you guys think the DC school is worth the extra money, especially since I'd have the asssistantship work to add to my resume? 

I went to undergrad in DC and I lived outside of the city. (PG County) It was much cheaper there and it was only 15 mins from campus by metro. IF you do choose DC, just know that you don't have to live right in the city. Also, look for university apartments that cater to college students (there are a few in Silverspring, MD.) Rent is usually much cheape in apt complexes like these.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Callen said:

Agreed!! Why does it need to be that confusing? I wish it was just like "here is your tuition as an SLP doing a masters"

I have been accepted to one school so far, and about two weeks after acceptance, I received a letter from the school detailing all tuition and fees for the entire two year program (including summer). This is before living expenses were factored in, but it was still... a HUGE number to look at, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sincerelycree said:

Have you started clinical practicum yet? If so, how are you balancing working with clinicals?

Yes, we started it first semester like second week in. Right now I have  2 clients on Wednesday and then I work on the weekends, Monday, and Friday, so it isn't terrible. As long as you plan ahead, it's not a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Auuudriana said:

Yes, we started it first semester like second week in. Right now I have  2 clients on Wednesday and then I work on the weekends, Monday, and Friday, so it isn't terrible. As long as you plan ahead, it's not a problem.

Sorry that I have so many questions, but it's good to talk to someone who is in the thick of it as we speak! So when you start your clinical placements at various sites, do you plan on working part time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, sincerelycree said:

Sorry that I have so many questions, but it's good to talk to someone who is in the thick of it as we speak! So when you start your clinical placements at various sites, do you plan on working part time?

Haha it's no problem! I haven't decided because we haven't gotten our assignments for our external placements as of yet, so I do not know what the hours and days will be like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Auuudriana said:

Haha it's no problem! I haven't decided because we haven't gotten our assignments for our external placements as of yet, so I do not know what the hours and days will be like.

Yea that is my concern regarding placements. Hopefully hubby can handle most of the bills if I am not able to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now