I have a few questions for those who were accepted to the MI program yesterday (March 13). Did you request an early decision due to other offers? What concentrations did you choose? Did you apply for the early deadline for scholarship consideration or the later one? Did they offer funding yet?

Seeing all of these notices of acceptance on the Results page has me anxious! I admit to foolish overconfidence, but with a BA and near-completed MA in English Lit at top institutions (A - A+ averages), several academic awards, a few years of library experience, and board membership on a library advocacy charity, I honestly thought I was a shoe-in. I've been accepted to UBC, but I think Toronto might be a better fit in some respects, so I'm hoping there's some pattern in the candidates offered admission yesterday that might ease my mind a bit. 

3 hours ago, lifeofpies said:

I have a few questions for those who were accepted to the MI program yesterday (March 13). Did you request an early decision due to other offers? What concentrations did you choose? Did you apply for the early deadline for scholarship consideration or the later one? Did they offer funding yet?

Seeing all of these notices of acceptance on the Results page has me anxious! I admit to foolish overconfidence, but with a BA and near-completed MA in English Lit at top institutions (A - A+ averages), several academic awards, a few years of library experience, and board membership on a library advocacy charity, I honestly thought I was a shoe-in. I've been accepted to UBC, but I think Toronto might be a better fit in some respects, so I'm hoping there's some pattern in the candidates offered admission yesterday that might ease my mind a bit. 

Hi there! I applied to the MMSt at the iSchool, not the MI, but was accepted to the program on Feb 13. I submitted my application in mid December. I wouldn't be too anxious about hearing back! You sound exceptionally qualified for the program. I personally asked for an extension, as I hadn't heard back from anywhere else when I was accepted. It may be comforting to note, however, that they initially provided only 2 weeks to respond. So, the most recent round of offers lines up quite well with the offers sent out previously. I know that the program tends to send out offers continuously, sometimes up until late April. Honestly, I would email them and ask when you can expect to hear back. I've been in contact with them and they've been super helpful and understanding, albeit a little slow to respond. 

Regarding funding (or more so, scholarships since there isn't really any 'funding' at the iSchool), I personally haven't heard anything yet. I was advised that I can expect to hear about it mid-late March. I wish you the best of luck! Don't lose hope. :) 

Hi (:

i'm also an iSchool applicant, coming from the Technion (Israel), currently pursuing BSc in Data Science.

i'm looking for specific course recommendations at UofT (if someone knows a specific course that is really good there)

my native preference will be around Statistics\CS.

Thanks!

Afik,

19 hours ago, lifeofpies said:

Hey! I was accepted on the 13th. I applied before the early deadline - I think my final documents were uploaded around January 28th. I didn't request early consideration as this is the only program I applied to. No news on funding - I did receive an email in February that my application was being considered, but nothing in the decision package. I know in the initial email they said that winners would be notified directly in March, so I'm guessing scholarships might come in a separate email.

I wouldn't be too worried yet - you seem like a really strong candidate. I applied with a BCom honours from a top school with some work experience, but nothing directly relevant. My academics were strong as were my reference letters, but I didn't have the work experience you do! It might be worth contacting Andrea, but from what I've seen on the results pages, it doesn't seem like a big wave of acceptances like they had in previous years. I think they're just taking some more time.

I should also add - I saw my acceptance first on Acorn (in the registration box, I was listed as an MI student for the 2018-2019 academic year), and then received my decision email a few hours later.

Edited by Charlotte La Bouff
Formatting

Hi everyone!

I am also an applicant waiting for the response, do you guys think I should take my other choices (I got accepted by UBC and Western Ontario) or take the risk to wait for U of T since it is my first choice?

Hi, I'm an international student. GPA 3.34/4.0, Engineering degree. Work expereince -4 years. I have expereience in UXD for the past year and certificate in Visual Comm. I have applied for UoT. What are the chances? :)

On 3/17/2018 at 7:54 PM, BooksUponBooks said:

Hey guys! To everyone waiting still, I would strongly recommend emailing Andrea if you're tight for time! She's super helpful and pretty willing to help however she can!

Yes! Second this. Andrea is so helpful and she always replies very promptly 

Hey all, 

Totally different topic, but I received my acceptance letter on Feb 9th, took my sweet time deciding whether to go to McGill or UofT, then when I tried to pay my deposit from overseas had a lot of difficulty, so I'm not 100% the deposit got to the school before the March 9th deadline. In ACORN in the Finances Tab, it says that $500 has been deposited but in the Academics Tab, my Registration Status for the 2018-2019 term continues to stay "Invited" instead of "Registered" which makes me very nervous...

To all of you who paid your deposit well before the deadline, would somebody mind checking what their ACORN registration status says?!

Thanks for (hopefully) putting me out of my misery!

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 22.28.30.png

8 hours ago, DeSignIn said:

To the international students who paid their deposits, did you write a cheque and send it to the university or did it another way? It seems such a low-tech way of doing business for an information school (let alone UX).

I'm located in Japan, and had a lot of difficulty getting the deposit paid. I tried to get a money order sent, but got told that in order to send a money order to Canada I needed details about the bank account to which I was sending the money order, and when I contacted Student Accounts at U of T, they were unhelpful. I ended up having to get my sister (who lives in Canada) make a money order to send in for me. So, I'm also curious to know how others have managed!

Ditto your comment, DeSignIn, cannot believe how low-tech this is. I did my first degree in Canada more than 10 years ago, and it seems not much has changed since then...which in itself is troubling. Would love to see more progress in the realm of usability design for global nomads!! 

On 3/25/2018 at 9:27 AM, TOLIVE said:

Hey all, 

Totally different topic, but I received my acceptance letter on Feb 9th, took my sweet time deciding whether to go to McGill or UofT, then when I tried to pay my deposit from overseas had a lot of difficulty, so I'm not 100% the deposit got to the school before the March 9th deadline. In ACORN in the Finances Tab, it says that $500 has been deposited but in the Academics Tab, my Registration Status for the 2018-2019 term continues to stay "Invited" instead of "Registered" which makes me very nervous...

To all of you who paid your deposit well before the deadline, would somebody mind checking what their ACORN registration status says?!

Thanks for (hopefully) putting me out of my misery!

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 22.28.30.png

Hey there, my account also says "invited" although I've paid the deposit. I don't think it changes! If you want to see when the amount was entered into Acorn, you can click "view invoice" under the amount, then select the session. It'll show the payment and date!

On 3/27/2018 at 8:09 AM, crtna said:

Hey there, my account also says "invited" although I've paid the deposit. I don't think it changes! If you want to see when the amount was entered into Acorn, you can click "view invoice" under the amount, then select the session. It'll show the payment and date!

Oh great, THANK YOU!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I have been reading your comments. They have been really helpful.

I want to pursue my masters in Management Information Systems.(MIS)

I have good pre grad as well as grad scores. GPA: 4. Also have IT work ex of 15 months in Cognizant Tech Solutions.

Since most of the people participating in the discussion above are Canadian, Kindly suggest some top good universities for International Students in MIS?

Some that i have in my mind are McGill, Queens,Univ of Toronto, Waterloo,Dalhousie. 

Thanks,  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2018 at 11:32 AM, Ruka said:

Hey all,

Another stressful soul here, anyone still waiting for admission? MI UXD Concentration.

Kind of given up my hope now...

iSchool website says that all results should be communicated in May. I think I saw a post somewhere that all decisions will be sent out by May 15th. You should try and email them about it.

Hey guys, this is a facebook group for students joining the Master of Information program at the University of Toronto, for fall 2018-2020.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/439779059796965/

Feel free to join, and share the link with others who have decided to join the program.

Hey!  I used to lurk the site last year just to see how things were going but never registered... but now that I finished my first year in the MI program, I thought I'd just offer my ear to anyone coming in/thinking about applying.

Good luck!

17 hours ago, firehawk12 said:

Hey!  I used to lurk the site last year just to see how things were going but never registered... but now that I finished my first year in the MI program, I thought I'd just offer my ear to anyone coming in/thinking about applying.

Good luck!

Hey! What's your concentration? Do you have any idea about how many students per concentration, especially UXD?

Also, is each concentration taught independently from the others?

2 hours ago, DeSignIn said:

Hey! What's your concentration? Do you have any idea about how many students per concentration, especially UXD?

Also, is each concentration taught independently from the others?

I'm LIS and did some ISD courses.  I would say LIS, ISD, UXD, and ARM are probably the biggest (maybe in that order, but it's kind of close).  A lot of people do two, but I also recommend that you just take any courses that you find interesting.  

Oh I think they'll tell you this when you start, but if you see an elective course and you really know you want to do it, then take it because they only guarantee that an elective course is available once every two years.