11 hours ago, khigh said:

If you add poffertjes en oliebollen, I will be there every single day! Oh, and waffles. Real American Hot Dogs like they have at museumplein! Stamppot! Bitterballen! Speculaas! Okay, I may have a Dutch food obsession. You know the Hot Dogs I’m talking about? They are German brats on buns with curry ketchup, spicy mustard, pickles, and fried onions.  They are to die for. 

Boyfriend and I have talked about opening a “travel” restaurant if our plans fall through. We would serve traditional food from various places in Europe that you just can’t find in the States, rotating days. REAL German, Dutch, English, Italian, French, Spanish, and Icelandic foods. I know a lot of people up here that would kill you and your grandma for real stamppot or Currywurst, Berliner Döner, Napoli pizza, Roman spaghetti, muffins with clotted cream, fish and chips, a good Tapas, croissants and espresso, lamb, salmon, lutefisk, latkes. 

I'll make oliebollen + appelflappen (ny) speculaas + pepernoten (sinterklaas), and tompoucen (kingsday) a seasonal. Poffertjes will add to regular menu as well as my grandma's appeltaart recipe. The other stuff - don't miss it a single bit hahaha.Or it's more restaurant style than a coffeeplace style :P

5 minutes ago, Psygeek said:

I'll make oliebollen + appelflappen (ny) speculaas + pepernoten (sinterklaas), and tompoucen (kingsday) a seasonal. Poffertjes will add to regular menu as well as my grandma's appeltaart recipe. The other stuff - don't miss it a single bit hahaha.Or it's more restaurant style than a coffeeplace style :P

Every time I fly into Amsterdam, I make two stops first. Albert Heijn for hagelslag and the Cuyp Markt for Nieuwe Haring. Most Americans don’t know what they’re missing ?

1 hour ago, khigh said:

Every time I fly into Amsterdam, I make two stops first. Albert Heijn for hagelslag and the Cuyp Markt for Nieuwe Haring. Most Americans don’t know what they’re missing ?

I could totally sell hagelslag or speculoos sandwhich or stuff like that lol

• 4 weeks later...

I've always wanted to hike the Appalachian Trail in its entirety, so after I defend my MA thesis next month I'm going to work on getting in better shape, find a job, and start saving money.  If I get into the program to which I applied I'll be thrilled and go, but if not I'm planning to apply to a number of programs next fall (didn't get everything done in time to make the December deadlines this year) and take off for the AT in February 2019 and hope for the best.

If I still don't get in after that?  I dunno, prolly try to do Teach for America or join the Peace Corps and work in East Africa.

Edited by fortsibut

I guess I'll stay in Spain another year (I came to Spain after getting rejected to all the grad schools I applied for 2008 and never went back, but the job situation in Spain is so horrible for Americans so I went back to my MA/PH.D dream and applied to MA programs in Spanish/Hispanic Studies for next year) and reapply next year. Or substitute teach. Or figure out how to make a living off my travel blog. 

I am finishing up my second gap year after an americorp program so I am only going to applying to my dream master programs once. The current plan is MS then PhD

If this doesn't hash out I am going to be a geologist turned butcher and hike the AT in sections  or at least the Catskills

maybe consider environmental law or something if that gets old

so far 0/5 results in... ready to start sharpening some knives and packing bags!

Back-up plan A: Part-time paraprofessional combined with part-time nanny/babysitting

Back-up plan B: Working in the after school program run by the place that I work as camp counselor every summer

Back-up plan C: Working at my Dad's business

Back-up plan D: Retail

Back-up plan E: Stripping?

Back-up plan A: Drive uber till I finish the manuscripts I have left with this lab (PI has run out of funds therefore the uber), then apply again next year

Back-up plan B: screw it all and jump industry

Back up-plan C: enter politics

The current "you got rejected from everywhere" plan is flight attendant school, with the possibility of attempting an online museum studies certificate a few years down the road. A far cry from my PhD goals in political science but it's a good backup plan for my hobby interests - travel and museums. 

I'm an older Ph.D. student, so I'm coming at it with 15 years experience in the corporate world.  If I don't get in anywhere, or if I don't get a stipend anywhere, the plan will be to get a corporate job, move to the suburbs (ugh), adopt a human kid, and buy some chickens and goats to start my suburban farm.

#GoatGoals

I mean I always dreamed of being on Broadway. PhD Reject the musical would be a big hit I think lol

In all seriousness though, I'll move out of the little town I'm in. There's very few opportunities to gain research experience here and that is my biggest weakness on my application. I will probably also try taking the GRE again to improve my scores. I'll hopefully be able to work as an RA somewhere closely related to my interests for a couple years and then try applying again. 

My backup plan is actually a plan I had to postpone two years ago to take a teaching fellowship in the States instead. If I don't get in any of the programs I am applying to, then I think I will move to Istanbul for a year, get a job and finally work on my Turkish. My plan C is to move back to Egypt and die of despair.

Also, I will start a blog. 2018 feels like a good year to start writing again. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2017 at 10:19 PM, Coolburner said:

My plan is, if I do not get accepted, I'd go soul searching to the mountains. My parents find the idea hilarious!

I have something similar in mind!!!!!!!!

My most brilliant plan B would be to move into the countryside and start farming and do research for the rest of my life. after all, it was the proficiency of my ancestors. However, I am thinking about building a lab in my farm and continue my research in mathematics and engineering. Nice Life, Right?

Potential backup plans from most to least likely 

— Look for research assistant positions (even if unpaid)

— Study abroad (2 week language immersion program)

— Apply to similar but different field next round (counseling or social work vs. clinical psychology)

— Actually use my first degree from 12 years ago, get a new agent and start auditioning for acting roles again

— Obtain CNA or medical billing training and work that way 

— Train my boyfriend to clean up after himself using applied behavior analysis and write about that experience in my next application 

— Go through Mulan-style boot camp to learn advanced math and retake the GRE for the third time 

— Write a lengthy thesis in which I try to determine why my ex is the way that he is 

— Offer to armchair diagnose psychological conditions in the neighborhood cats in exchange for pop cans to recycle 

2 hours ago, Besivance said:

Believe it or not (and I definitely do not mean to trivialize anybody else's travails), this was the backup plan! :D

Haha same

I'm going to be 33 when I graduate - swore I was finished after undergrad 

My crazy back-up plan is to get a second master’s degree.

I’m geographically limited because of my husband’s job, and there are no dietitian jobs in the area.  In order to maintain my license as a registered dietitian I either need to be working as a dietitian or continuing my education.  So, if the PhD applications fall through and if I don’t find a dietitian job, then more education it will be!  Either a second master’s (yes, crazy, I know) or just more course-work.  But I need to maintain my registration!  I already have two undergraduate degrees (in Canada, you need to complete an undergraduate degree in dietetics in order to become a dietitian, even if you already have an undergraduate degree in another subject), so why not get two master’s as well?

Like I said, crazy.