2018 Applicants

@snickus Hi! I've got my main list down, but now that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I keep worrying that I should add more. The programs I applied to are all ambitious, but are near perfect fits for my particular interests (early modern medicine and medical rhetoric). There are one or two with slightly later deadlines that I'm thinking I may try to squeeze in, even though they aren't quite as great as far as fit goes. 

I'm applying to UMich as well. Does your program also require a personal statement? I struggled so much for those darn two pages! Still working on it now, actually... :(

Good luck to you!

Don’t drive yourself over the edge by continuing to edit the writing sample until the day before it’s due. Submit submit submit and then don’t look at your writing sample or SOP again. You’ll feel like a weight has been lifted from your shoulders. But then take up a new productive habit, and stay away from grad cafe until March (or a date of your preference). That’s how I kept my sanity. 

54 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

@snickus Hi! I've got my main list down, but now that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I keep worrying that I should add more. The programs I applied to are all ambitious, but are near perfect fits for my particular interests (early modern medicine and medical rhetoric). There are one or two with slightly later deadlines that I'm thinking I may try to squeeze in, even though they aren't quite as great as far as fit goes. 

I'm applying to UMich as well. Does your program also require a personal statement? I struggled so much for those darn two pages! Still working on it now, actually... :(

Good luck to you!

@JustPoesieAlong Near perfect fits--that's just the thing! After finding programs that really speak to me, it's hard to add others that aren't quite as perfect for me. I have a vacation planned next week (made the plans months ago when I thought I'd be long done with apps by now, ha!). After that, I'll probably look more into adding another school or two. 

Yup, my program requires the personal statement too. I haven't written it yet though. Congrats on already getting started. For me, that's always the hardest part with writing.

Good luck to you, too! :) 

Edited by snickus

@snickus I'm glad I'm not the only one who planned on being further along at this point. I had such a nice timeline worked out where I would be nearly done before Thanksgiving (US). HA! Oh well. 

I just finished a top-to-bottom revision of my Personal Statement, based on feedback from a professor who said that, although the first version was fine, it wouldn't stick in the minds of the over-burdened adcomm members. I think what makes these so difficult is that it feels like such a fine line between a bland, cover letter-style statement and a weepy story about our personal lives. :wacko:

Anybody else struggling with SOP word count requirements? Any tips for cutting out all those precious lines I spent weeks crafting? I submitted my first application last week which had a page count of 3-5 pages (open to both single and double spaced), now I've got to cut my 1100 words down to 500 or less... Let's not even get started on some schools wanting a 15 page writing sample and others wanting a 20-25

15 minutes ago, renea said:

Anybody else struggling with SOP word count requirements? Any tips for cutting out all those precious lines I spent weeks crafting? I submitted my first application last week which had a page count of 3-5 pages (open to both single and double spaced), now I've got to cut my 1100 words down to 500 or less... Let's not even get started on some schools wanting a 15 page writing sample and others wanting a 20-25

Oh dude I feel for you having to cut that SOP down. So grateful all mine were 1000. I had the same problem with the writing sample, which was tough too.

2 hours ago, renea said:

This may or may not be helpful for you, but one good thing to keep in mind is that your entire application functions as a package. So, try to minimize any overlap between what your CV and SOP accomplish. If something can easily be listed, then put it on your CV and leave if off your SOP. So don't bother listing awards, experiences, or classes in your SOP (unless absolutely necessary) and focus on clarifying your research interests. What is it that makes you tick as a scholar and why? This is what your SOP should focus on and anything else should be fit in elsewhere on your application.

4 hours ago, renea said:

@renea It's like we're living the same life. :lol:

Penn State asks in the app for my Junior/Senior GPA. So, this will probably sound silly, but how do I determine when I was a Junior/Senior? Do I just do the obvious: the Fall/Spring semesters of my 3rd and 4th years? Or do I also use the courses I took in the summer before my Junior year? (Or go back even further, if I had the number of credits that put me at junior standing earlier than my 3rd year?)

ETA: So, turns out it doesn't matter for me if I do/don't include that summer's courses because my GPA is the same either way. 

Edited by snickus

Another app DONE. (Pending my recommenders submitting their letters, and my schools mailing their transcripts...)

But ugh, I could kick myself. I reread and did some light editing on my writing sample and I mixed up a character's name like, three times. I already sent the old sample into a school with an earlier deadline. Wth. Ugh. At least it wasn't my absolutely favorite school, but still. I feel embarrassed. Hopefully the adcoms aren't super familiar with that work? :/ At least I noticed it before I sent out any more apps...

22 hours ago, Glasperlenspieler said:

This may or may not be helpful for you, but one good thing to keep in mind is that your entire application functions as a package. So, try to minimize any overlap between what your CV and SOP accomplish. If something can easily be listed, then put it on your CV and leave if off your SOP. So don't bother listing awards, experiences, or classes in your SOP (unless absolutely necessary) and focus on clarifying your research interests. What is it that makes you tick as a scholar and why? This is what your SOP should focus on and anything else should be fit in elsewhere on your application.

See I felt that way too, then after showing some faculty versions that left CV type information off they all said to add that in. For the short SOPs I'll definitely be taking out coursework and conference mentions... I've learned it's a struggle to please everyone and at some point I've just got to get them submitted and be done

23 minutes ago, renea said:

See I felt that way too, then after showing some faculty versions that left CV type information off they all said to add that in. For the short SOPs I'll definitely be taking out coursework and conference mentions... I've learned it's a struggle to please everyone and at some point I've just got to get them submitted and be done

This may (or may not) work for some of you, but you could also suggest to your letter writers to include some of these things (if you have that kind of relationship). I asked one of my letter writers to talk about a class of mine she observed, and she also explained some of the stuff on my CV (without me even asking). It was nice because  I didn't have to, but I realize not everyone has this relationship with their letter writers.

44 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

This may (or may not) work for some of you, but you could also suggest to your letter writers to include some of these things (if you have that kind of relationship). I asked one of my letter writers to talk about a class of mine she observed, and she also explained some of the stuff on my CV (without me even asking). It was nice because  I didn't have to, but I realize not everyone has this relationship with their letter writers.

Sound advice. My chair told me to do something similar. All three of my LOR are touching on some aspect of my application. I guess it's just easier to add to a SOP than to subtract

I don't know if anyone else is having this experience, but I'm applying to MA programs, and I just feel.. vastly underqualified. My writing sample is good but it doesn't align with my stated research interests (which are vague, because my undergraduate english major didn't have a huge variety of course offerings so I haven't been able to do a lot of work in my era of interest.. but I'm applying to MAs, not PhDs, so it should be fine, right?), I'm struggling a lot with writing my SOPs, and I'm not sure how good my 3rd letter of recommendation is going to be. But (I hope) my other 2 letters will be good, and I have a high GPA, did well on the GRE, and have a publication in my university's undergraduate journal. So where's the line between needing to be legitimately concerned about not getting in anywhere and just worrying too much?

46 minutes ago, sarahchristine said:

I don't know if anyone else is having this experience, but I'm applying to MA programs, and I just feel.. vastly underqualified. My writing sample is good but it doesn't align with my stated research interests (which are vague, because my undergraduate english major didn't have a huge variety of course offerings so I haven't been able to do a lot of work in my era of interest.. but I'm applying to MAs, not PhDs, so it should be fine, right?), I'm struggling a lot with writing my SOPs, and I'm not sure how good my 3rd letter of recommendation is going to be. But (I hope) my other 2 letters will be good, and I have a high GPA, did well on the GRE, and have a publication in my university's undergraduate journal. So where's the line between needing to be legitimately concerned about not getting in anywhere and just worrying too much?

I think most MA programs don't expect you to have figured out your research interests. The MA allows you to take a variety of courses to better figure out your research interests. As a result, most MA programs are checking to see if they believe you would succeed working at a higher level. This differs from PHD programs because they're more focused on "fit".

So, I wrote 10 days ago but how my professor hadn't sent in her letters, she wound up doing it, but has not uploaded any of the other letters yet. One is coming up in a few hours at Michigan, another this Tuesday, and many of them will come due this Friday. At this stage I just don't know how to proceed. She had actually asked ME for the full list with dates because she didn't want to miss anything, and I know there is still time, but I can't help but worry and it's distracting me from my other work. I just don't what to do, and am especially perplexed because she has been incredibly helpful and I don't want to annoy her. I don't want to be constantly be emailing her before deadlines, but I can't help but worry that she might miss one and the whole thing is wasted. Though I assume that most universities are aware of this sort of thing and probably don't disqualify you based on someone missing a letter by a day or so, I don't find that particularly comforting because there's no guarantee and, for instance, the Michigan page says that all materials must be received by the deadline.

Anyone got any advice on how to follow up with her without pestering too much? Since the deadline is at 12 I'm inclined to wait for now and see what happens, and if she doesn't send it, send her something and remind her about the other deadlines that are due this week.

Edited by WildeThing

Relief, she uploaded it a little while ago. I guess I should just trust that she knows what she's doing. Not easy for control freaks like me.

Meanwhile, I've now finalized my submissions to my first and second choice, so that's that.

//sweats// As three of my apps are due today and I'm feeling the pressure of final touch-ups, I decided I finally needed to make a showing over here to relieve some of this stress! 

Today's a big submission day, so good luck everyone! 

(Also -- does anyone know if there's a topic or question asked anywhere about contacting faculty whose interests you match with at schools you're applying to by email, just politely expressing your interest and saying you've applied? I might start a topic about it if not since I'm currently stressing that :o )

47 minutes ago, chellyfish_ said:

//sweats// As three of my apps are due today and I'm feeling the pressure of final touch-ups, I decided I finally needed to make a showing over here to relieve some of this stress! 

Today's a big submission day, so good luck everyone! 

(Also -- does anyone know if there's a topic or question asked anywhere about contacting faculty whose interests you match with at schools you're applying to by email, just politely expressing your interest and saying you've applied? I might start a topic about it if not since I'm currently stressing that :o )

This topic might be helpful to you. Not exactly the same, but similar questions.

So...the reason I left my 7th app for last because I've really gone back and forth on the school. Rereading the graduate student handbook today, I've kind of come to the conclusion that the program would just not be a good fit for me. 

Feel weirdly nervous about taking it off the list, and applying to just six schools instead of seven, but trying to remind myself that it's really not a program I think I would do well in, even if I were to be accepted. 

1 hour ago, katie64 said:

So...the reason I left my 7th app for last because I've really gone back and forth on the school. Rereading the graduate student handbook today, I've kind of come to the conclusion that the program would just not be a good fit for me. 

Feel weirdly nervous about taking it off the list, and applying to just six schools instead of seven, but trying to remind myself that it's really not a program I think I would do well in, even if I were to be accepted. 

Out of curiosity, what in the handbook is making you feel that it isn't a good fit?

I've officially submitted four of my applications to Brown, Maryland, Lehigh, and PSU. Feels weird to have applied, but even weirder to think that I still have four or five more programs to apply to. Also, transcripts are stressing me out--I have a general feeling that each school is very vague about what they expect in regards to sending your transcripts. For instance, one school says on their online application that they do not expect your official transcripts until you are admitted into the program, but then when you apply they send you an email telling you to mail your official transcript. What is that? I sent a request to my current university today to mail a physical copy of my transcripts, but the registrars office is going to be closed until the 2018. Basically, that university is going to be getting my transcript a day or two late and that is completely beyond my control because of a contradiction in their application instructions. Kind of miffed.

Also, another program I am applying to says, "you will only need to upload one copy of each institutions official transcript(s) when completing your online application," but if you explore slightly more down the page it says, "Official transcripts will only be required by the Graduate School upon admission to the program." Like what is with the lack of consistency?

Edited by Dogfish Head