2018 Applicants

3 hours ago, Warelin said:

Out of curiosity, what in the handbook is making you feel that it isn't a good fit?

I want to pursue an MA that's a little more flexible and interdisciplinary -- the other six programs have the option to concentrate on rhet/comp and some allow creative writing classes as well, all while also taking lit classes. I'm more interested in rhet/comp than lit, and this program I thought had broader options, but after looking at the handbook, I realized it's really strictly lit-based. 

4 hours ago, Dogfish Head said:

I've officially submitted four of my applications to Brown, Maryland, Lehigh, and PSU. Feels weird to have applied, but even weirder to think that I still have four or five more programs to apply to. Also, transcripts are stressing me out--I have a general feeling that each school is very vague about what they expect in regards to sending your transcripts. For instance, one school says on their online application that they do not expect your official transcripts until you are admitted into the program, but then when you apply they send you an email telling you to mail your official transcript. What is that? I sent a request to my current university today to mail a physical copy of my transcripts, but the registrars office is going to be closed until the 2018. Basically, that university is going to be getting my transcript a day or two late and that is completely beyond my control because of a contradiction in their application instructions. Kind of miffed.

Also, another program I am applying to says, "you will only need to upload one copy of each institutions official transcript(s) when completing your online application," but if you explore slightly more down the page it says, "Official transcripts will only be required by the Graduate School upon admission to the program." Like what is with the lack of consistency?

Hey! I may have an answer for you (for the second school)? FWIW, I could be wrong - however, they may want you to have an official copy of your transcript, which you upload to their online portal. (I.e. no advising transcripts or screenshots.) 

A few of my schools requested an official copy addressed to me/that I had opened (thereby making it "unofficial") uploaded directly and used that kind of language.

2 hours ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

Hey! I may have an answer for you (for the second school)? FWIW, I could be wrong - however, they may want you to have an official copy of your transcript, which you upload to their online portal. (I.e. no advising transcripts or screenshots.) 

A few of my schools requested an official copy addressed to me/that I had opened (thereby making it "unofficial") uploaded directly and used that kind of language.

That makes sense, but I have to wonder why they would not just make that explicit. This whole process is so strange, but I am half way done with it so I guess I have that going for me. I am so nervous that the tiniest mistake I make will make my application null and void. 

@Dogfish Head This has been driving me crazy as well. I think part of the confusion is that some schools are more particular about what counts as "official." It took a bit for me to figure out that scanned official copies are technically not "official," but are still good for most schools. I scanned my official copies and have uploaded them for all of my applications. Only one school required a legit official copy (in addition to the scanned copy, no less).  I will also add that all the little additional things that keep popping up in the applications themselves is also incredibly frustrating--especially when they seem to be in direct conflict with all of the instructions given up to that point.

12 hours ago, katie64 said:

How many schools is everyone applying to? 

8. Need to wrap up the 8th tonight/tomorrow.

Edited by JustPoesieAlong

For the people asking about transcripts: 

I had the same questions. I checked all my schools; only one needed official official transcripts. Otherwise, it was fine for me to send transcripts I'd downloaded or taken pictures of. It's usually only if you attend that the schools needed official ones straight from schools.

My husband has already submitted all of his applications, but a fiction story he wrote was just accepted in Quarterly West--is it worth updating his CV with the forthcoming publication? He's applying to PhDs in English Lit, not Creative Writing.

53 minutes ago, punctilious said:

My husband has already submitted all of his applications, but a fiction story he wrote was just accepted in Quarterly West--is it worth updating his CV with the forthcoming publication? He's applying to PhDs in English Lit, not Creative Writing.

First off, congratulations to your husband! In most cases, it probably wouldn't be worthwhile to update because programs are only interested in scholarly publications. An exception might be made if the applicant is intersecting the two interests.

With that being said, I remember going through a lot of student profiles and their cv. I would recommend letting Brown, UMD, and Yale about this publication since it appears on a fair number of their current phd student profiles.

Hi all! I am a bit of a non-traditional applicant, as my background (B.A. and M.A) are in history, though I have taken quite a few English graduate courses! Still, I am very nervous. I have (or am applying) to 4 English Ph.D programs and 5 American Studies! But I am convinced I won't get in anywhere! Anyway, it's nice to see this thread, especially since it's rather quiet in the interdisciplinary forum!

10 hours ago, evanmarie said:

Hi all! I am a bit of a non-traditional applicant, as my background (B.A. and M.A) are in history, though I have taken quite a few English graduate courses! Still, I am very nervous. I have (or am applying) to 4 English Ph.D programs and 5 American Studies! But I am convinced I won't get in anywhere! Anyway, it's nice to see this thread, especially since it's rather quiet in the interdisciplinary forum!

Which English PHD programs are you applying to? :)

Is anyone else applying to Duquesne? All application materials must be submitted through Intefolio, which is quite confusing to use and you have to pay for it, and the website does not say how to direct materials through Interfolio to Duquesne. Does anyone have any insight on this?

It's gotta be more than that! I took a class in the Penn English department last year (and am taking one this spring) and there cohorts are rather large haha.  

On 12/29/2017 at 5:32 PM, Warelin said:

Never know. 12 people have to grab those spots from the 600+ that apply. ;)

1 hour ago, evanmarie said:

It's gotta be more than that! I took a class in the Penn English department last year (and am taking one this spring) and there cohorts are rather large haha.  

https://www.english.upenn.edu/graduate/directory

I'm not sure if we'll ever know their exact numbers of applicants they accept. It looks like the cohort is 11 for the current first year students and 12 for the year before that. 12 is a huge number for a cohort right now but cohorts at Chicago were once 20-30 students.  Comparing it to the current day, Ohio State says that it receives 250-300 applications per year.. They accept 25-30 students for a target size of 15-20 students. It's generally true that some universities accept 1.5-2x their targeted cohort size but Penn has always struck me as a school that has to be careful with their numbers. They over-admitted years ago and cut down spots the following year as a result. 

UPenn also has a terminal MA program. My understanding is that MA students take the same classes as the first and second years which could also make cohorts seem bigger. 

Edited by Warelin

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2017 at 11:25 PM, bemi said:

Hi altruist, applied for MPH fall 2018 UCB (epi) and uwash(global health), a doctor 4yrs experience+volunteering service, Yet to apply to Vanderbilt university and unmc

Who else is gunning for mph!?

Me but dont know what school to apply to that will give scholarship

Has anyone ever looked into U of ND? I got something in the mail from them, and I usually just throw those types of information packets away before I open them. For some reason, I did, and their program sounds really cool and you have the opportunity to study for a semester in Norway. I'm currently obsessed with the show Vikings. 

But...it's North Dakota. :unsure:

@katie64 I went to UND for my BA and loved it. The faculty is great and they really care about their students. I also know a lot of people who go abroad to Norway for a semester, through UND, and who loved it. You can even minor in Norweigan at UND! If you have any specific questions about the school (though I don't know great detail about the graduate program), feel free to PM me!

On 1/22/2018 at 11:32 AM, katie64 said:

Has anyone ever looked into U of ND? I got something in the mail from them, and I usually just throw those types of information packets away before I open them. For some reason, I did, and their program sounds really cool and you have the opportunity to study for a semester in Norway. I'm currently obsessed with the show Vikings. 

But...it's North Dakota. :unsure:

I went to North Dakota State (a rival of UND) for my undergrad and MA. Grand Forks is an ok city. Fargo is much better in my opinion. The support, funding, and teaching experience that I got at NDSU set me up on a great path! Don't overlook some of the schools that aren't ranked as highly (especially for your MA).