2018 Applicants

We could try Group Me! Have y'all ever used that? You can participate either by text message, the Group Me app, or a tab on Gmail. You sign up with your email address/number and then can add people into groups by their numbers/emails. But you can choose your name, so you could totally put your Grad Cafe screen name if you're not comfortable having your real name listed. 

My cohort and I use it as our primary group messaging, and we've had good luck with it so far. There's a mute option that I love using sometimes when I'm really busy and don't have time for distractions, and you can upload pictures and such. 

It might be worth trying? Plus the notifications are better than here, haha

3 hours ago, klader said:

We could try Group Me! Have y'all ever used that? You can participate either by text message, the Group Me app, or a tab on Gmail. You sign up with your email address/number and then can add people into groups by their numbers/emails. But you can choose your name, so you could totally put your Grad Cafe screen name if you're not comfortable having your real name listed. 

My cohort and I use it as our primary group messaging, and we've had good luck with it so far. There's a mute option that I love using sometimes when I'm really busy and don't have time for distractions, and you can upload pictures and such. 

It might be worth trying? Plus the notifications are better than here, haha

That sounds like it would be great! I'd love to join in if this gets started. :)

I think that's a great idea! Does anyone want to start a group? Or we could do a gmail messaging group if that's easier for anyone else.  

I could start the Group Me chat, but I think there is a character limitation that might be a problem for those of us who like to send long messages :)

Perhaps we could do a Gmail messaging group, if people would be interested? And it'd be less hassle since people wouldn't have to download and learn a new app? 

3 hours ago, klader said:

I could start the Group Me chat, but I think there is a character limitation that might be a problem for those of us who like to send long messages :)

Perhaps we could do a Gmail messaging group, if people would be interested? And it'd be less hassle since people wouldn't have to download and learn a new app? 

I'm good with either of these, but I think gmail messaging might be the simpler of the two.

Okay. So, if you're interested in joining our group where we help each other stay on track with applications, please private message me a gmail address and I'll coordinate a chat. Let's aim for everyone to provide me with the address by Monday so we can get going. Sound good?

I think this is the best option because we could also share our work on Google Docs if we want to coordinate readings and offer each other feedback. 

I'll try to mention everyone who has shown interest so far: @mk-8, @Keri, @Narrative Nancy, @punctilious, @a_sort_of_fractious_angel (don't know why it won't let me tag you?), @lit_nerd, @verjus. If I forgot anyone, please go ahead and let them know. 

If anyone else wants to join, please send me your info. You can make a new gmail account with your screen name if that makes you more comfortable. There's no pressure for you to provide your real identity if you don't wish to do so. 

Thanks for setting everything up @klader! I PMed you my work / business e-mail.

In other news: I spoke with the enrollment adviser at ASU last night and she told me that I'm in review, so be on the lookout and check my status everyday... should find out in a week or two... eep! She told me it's a competitive program with a class size of about 20 students but also said being in review this early may be a good sign. Let's hope so! I keep flip flopping on what program I want and am now thinking ASU and BGSU are my top 2. These next few weeks may be the death of me...

On 7/19/2017 at 8:40 PM, klader said:

Okay. So, if you're interested in joining our group where we help each other stay on track with applications, please private message me a gmail address and I'll coordinate a chat. Let's aim for everyone to provide me with the address by Monday so we can get going. Sound good?

I think this is the best option because we could also share our work on Google Docs if we want to coordinate readings and offer each other feedback. 

I'll try to mention everyone who has shown interest so far: @mk-8, @Keri, @Narrative Nancy, @punctilious, @a_sort_of_fractious_angel (don't know why it won't let me tag you?), @lit_nerd, @verjus. If I forgot anyone, please go ahead and let them know. 

If anyone else wants to join, please send me your info. You can make a new gmail account with your screen name if that makes you more comfortable. There's no pressure for you to provide your real identity if you don't wish to do so. 

Thank you, @klader!! I think gmail is a great plan and I look forward to talking with you all - this is exciting!!! 

On 7/27/2017 at 7:25 AM, Keri said:

Nice Dogfish! Do you care to share your scores? :P 

Not at all! I got a Verbal: 160 and a Quantitative: 150. I have not gotten my score for the writing section yet, though. I wish I would have done a bit better, but from what I can tell my scores still put me in the competitive range (especially for Master's programs).

Hi everyone! I am currently finishing studying my Masters in the UK, and looking to apply for a PhD in the US beginning in Autumn 2018. I am struggling to figure out the rankings of programmes I would be suitable in applying to (i.e. would Ivies, UChicago be out of my league), and so any advice would be great! Here are my stats so far:

Undergrad: 1st/4.0 GPA from a top 40 UK institution. Awarded prize for best scholar, and published in universities arts journal.

Masters: Currently averaging a Distinction/ 3.85 GPA from a highly regarded university. Organised a conference within the department, and presented a paper.

I am hoping to present at a few more conferences over the next year, and gain some teaching experience, and will be taking the GRE around October. My interests are broadly in the areas of diaspora and border literature and so I would be targeting my application to that topic (I have researched a number of universities and how I would fit there, but I am in the midst of writing my dissertation so have not made any firm decisions!). Obviously as it is extremely competitive, and many people applying will have excellent grades and achievements it is hard to know someone's chances, but if anyone has any thoughts they would be greatly appreciated! :)

Avocados, I would advise you to apply to the programs that are the best fit for your research interests. What are your current research interests, by the way?

Also, why do you want to apply to American programs? The UK has plenty of good programs and you'll probably finish much more quickly there and do less additional coursework.

Hey jelris, thanks for your reply! My current project is exploring how the visual is negotiated in Chicana literature and the cultural implications that entails. I have also written about literatures of the diaspora previously, including the Caribbean, and the ways in which the sensory provides a means to re-experience home in a new country. There are a few reasons why I would prefer to apply to the U.S., mostly because I would like the chance to explore new areas of study as I have often focused on American literature from similar time periods. It would be great to be able to expand my knowledge rather than jumping straight into writing a thesis. I also like the focus placed on teaching as that is an important part of gaining a PhD for me. From the programs I have researched, most seem to offer funding, which is a lot better than in the UK where only a select few are offered grants. I have also always wanted to live in America so it seems like a great opportunity! Sorry for the longwinded answer! I will spend some more time looking at the kinds of programs which are producing work which match my interests, I am just feeling a bit nervous about the whole process and my chances!

Yes, funding should be a given in the US. The question is whether you'll be lucky enough to have any fellowship years or not and what sorts of duties you'll have as a TA and the terms for funding. Most places do 5 years, some do 4 years, and some will give you health insurance. You should also look at time to completion statistics for universities, if available, since a program where most graduate after 7 years but which only provides funding for 5 may not be attractive to you.

I'm not too familiar with your area of research but do remember seeing some support for it at SUNY-Binghamton's Comparative Literature program.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks, I'm also applying for fall 2018 like most (I'll have my MA Lit done this spring). Broadly speaking, I'm a cultural studies person interested in 21st century American lit/media. I've got my recommendations set, am working on third draft of my statement, have my samples set, have spent more time looking at faculty bios than I ever thought a sane person would, and am finalizing my list of programs to apply to (have 12 on my list right now). I suppose the biggest remaining hurdles are money for applications, retaking GRE, and balancing my TA duties with application.

This year is going to be brutal.

Checking in, y'all. I just finished my first week of law school (just a short intro class, not even real classes) and I'm already so nervous about combining law school courses with a grad application. I rescheduled my GRE for (hopefully) the last time, but I'm going to have to be hella disciplined to study for that and write my apps and adjust to law school over the next few months. Somebody keep me accountable pls.

23 minutes ago, jebbush2k20 said:

Checking in, y'all. I just finished my first week of law school (just a short intro class, not even real classes) and I'm already so nervous about combining law school courses with a grad application. I rescheduled my GRE for (hopefully) the last time, but I'm going to have to be hella disciplined to study for that and write my apps and adjust to law school over the next few months. Somebody keep me accountable pls.

I might be misreading this. Are you applying for an English PHD through Columbia? According to this, English doesn't participate in Columbia's JD/PHD program.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm going to be joining you on this ride. 

This will be my second application cycle, after I went 0 for 9 in 2015. Since then, I've finished my M.A., published some of that thesis, taught abroad, and have generally developed a better sense of what I'm interested in. I am now slogging through my SOP and faculty bios/bibliographies, and watching the coming semester approach with alarming speed. 

As an aside: I've been struggling to neatly pin my interests into a discipline/program, and I would be very interested in any leads you might have. In very, very broad terms, I am interested in philosophies of perception, autobiography, and transgender studies. Does anything spring immediately to mind?

Thought I'd add mine in. I'm completing my MA this Spring and am applying for PhD programs for Fall 2018. I'm currently in rhet/comp and plan to do the same for my PhD although my research interests have shifted (and widened) this past year. In general I'm interested in visual rhetoric, multi-modal composition, digital humanities, identity studies, and I've been really into writing about food in cultural/political/digital contexts. In terms of teaching/classroom related research I've been teaching FYW and do have some interest in pedagogy and literacy practices.

I love my current program (to death) and the faculty/resources are amazing, but I'm not really in love with where I'm studying (Michigan is pretty cold for a TX native and adjusting to the midwest has been interesting) and have been looking for other PhD programs in different areas just to know my options. Fit and placement are on high priority, but the realization that I'm committing to 4-7 years (since my SO will be applying to grad programs as well and physics PhDs tend to take longer to complete) in the same place is definitely motivating me to take a closer look at where I'll be living than I did the last time.

In comparison to my MA applications I feel so much more confident in both the application process and my work. I'm so glad I did the MA first (even if it does mean I might take a little longer to get the doctorate), it was well worth it and my program has been very supportive in my exploration so far.  

On 8/21/2017 at 9:10 PM, Warelin said:

I might be misreading this. Are you applying for an English PHD through Columbia? According to this, English doesn't participate in Columbia's JD/PHD program.

That's what it says on the website, but I've been told by administration that it's doable to do the MPhil and JD together. 

15 hours ago, jebbush2k20 said:

That's what it says on the website, but I've been told by administration that it's doable to do the MPhil and JD together. 

That's great. I've always wondered why websites aren't maintained better at times. I think there would be people who would apply to certain programs more if they knew that the school allowed them to.