Declining Offer Thread

Iamthad

Hey guys long time lurker, and I thought I'd join in on the discussion.  I have been fortunate enough to be accepted into three schools including a school int he northeast whose offer I am going to accept. I wanted to start this thread to announce offers that people have declined so that some one the wait-list may have some hope since we all know its a tough time. 

My two are:

School: Georgia Southern

Program: Clinical Psychology (Psy.D) 

Reason: Didn't know if I wanted to do a Psy.D, and I wanted to go to school in the Northeast. 

School: Northern Colorado 

Program: Counseling Psychology (PhD)

Reason: Loved the program, but wanted to go to school in the Northeast. Was a tough decision though. 

Thank you for posting! And congratulations on your acceptances! I'm wait listed at Georgia Southern and it is my top pick. Here's hoping I'm #9 on the list. I was accepted to another program that I like just as much as the one at Georgia Southern so at least I know I'm going somewhere, but unfortunately it is not fully funded so it would be a lot more difficult to manage financially.

Have you officially declined yet? 

Edited by metalpsychperson

Good idea to start this thread! 

I declined at IUP so I hope that helps someone on the waitlist. I took my name off the University of South Dakota waitlist. 

I accepted at Georgia Southern. I loved the faculty and other students when I visited, I'm excited to start there! Metalpsychperson- hoping you get some good news and we can be cohort buddies! 

On 3/7/2017 at 10:34 AM, juhidee119 said:

Good idea to start this thread! 

I declined at IUP so I hope that helps someone on the waitlist. I took my name off the University of South Dakota waitlist. 

I accepted at Georgia Southern. I loved the faculty and other students when I visited, I'm excited to start there! Metalpsychperson- hoping you get some good news and we can be cohort buddies! 

Thank you! IUP is the one I was accepted to. Seems to be a really good fit (same as Georgia Southern). If only they had better funding. ?

1 hour ago, metalpsychperson said:

Thank you! IUP is the one I was accepted to. Seems to be a really good fit (same as Georgia Southern). If only they had better funding. :/

Oh wow, we interviewed at 2 of the same schools- I wonder if we've met at either one :) 

The funding at Georgia Southern definitely sealed the deal for me. I didn't feel a good fit at IUP, some things just seemed...off lol. 

As a minority student, I'm a little nervous about moving to the South in the current political climate but hoping people are openminded since it is a college town. I wanted to stay in the Northeast but Georgia Southern was too good to pass up. 

3 hours ago, juhidee119 said:

Jackson State University

Clinical Psych Phd

got into a program I liked more

What did you make of Jackson State? I declined the interview after I was accepted elsewhere. I've heard really good things about the program.

Hi everyone! I declined offers at the following:

Chestnut Hill College - Clinical PsyD

U La Verne - Clinical PsyD

Pace University - School-Clinical Child PsyD

Yeshiva University (Ferkauf) - School-Clinical Child PsyD

Hopefully this helps someone on a waitlist! I will also be posting this in the waitlist thread. :)

I declined:

Michigan Tech - Applied Cognitive and Human Factors PhD

Ohio University - Experimental Psychology PhD

University of Kansas - Cognitive Psychology PhD

I will likely decline:

Washington University in St. Louis - Cognitive Psychology PhD

I recently declined by offer at Illinois State University for the I/O-Social master's program. I very much hope someone gets off the waitlist and has an amazing experience. 

School: Illinois State University

Program: I/O-Social Master's program

Reason: I really loved the program and all of the faculty in the department were very accommodating and kind. In the end, it just didn't fit well enough with my interests in that there was a strong focus on I/O, and I am more on the social psych side. 

Hi there,

I will be declining offers from:

Kansas State University: Psychology PhD program.

Louisiana State University:  Cognitive and Brain Sciences program

Nebraska - Lincoln University: Psychology PhD program

I have been accepted in my top choice!! Hope this helps somebody :)

30 minutes ago, grandelatte13 said:

I just declined Rutgers GSAPP PsyD (Clinical) offer. I really hope this benefits someone on the waitlist. All the best! :) 

That had to be a tough decision. I hear the Psy.D. program at Rutgers is phenomenal.

I am planning on declining Rutgers School PsyD (seriously tough because I loved this program and it's where I did undergrad </3). Just waiting on my official letter from where I plan on accepting (just in case, ya never know) before letting Rutgers know about my decision.

If you are on a waitlist for rutgers school psyd, hopefully you will hear somethibg next week! :)

Declined:

Marshall (PsyD) - Reason: It was actually a pretty good fit, but I did my undergrad there, and I am ready for something different. I also didn't feel comfortable taking out so much in loans.

La Salle (PsyD; I'm actually releasing this offer today.) - Reason: It is sooo expensive. I really loved the prospect of living in Philly, but I just couldn't justify the $100,000 price tag.

Decision:

I haven't made my official decision yet. I am going to go to a Master's Program, though. I'm hoping it will make me more competitive for a Clinical PhD program. Now I'm just deciding between a school with a better fit and a school with better funding. Ugg. Advice is always welcome!