NSF GRIP/GROW (2017-2018)

paleoatmo

On 5/18/2018 at 5:11 PM, Levon3 said:

Has anyone here successfully submitted an NSF INTERN application? I would love to pick your brain if so!

Im pretty sure this is a completely new program, so it hasn't been submitted by anyone

19 hours ago, BOGR_20 said:

My GROW Australia was just approved! 

Congrats!!! Mine for Australia still says Awaiting NSF Approval :’( do you mind if I ask how you found out? Did you get an email? Did your fastlane status change also?

On 5/25/2018 at 8:03 AM, chaparral said:

Congrats!!! Mine for Australia still says Awaiting NSF Approval :’( do you mind if I ask how you found out? Did you get an email? Did your fastlane status change also?

I got an email from NSF and my fastlane status now says "approved." However, I've been in close contact with my host PI this last week- evidently, Universities Australia (the Australian partner agency) didn't have funding for me, so my host PI had to promise some funds of her own for my living expenses before they could approve it. You should maybe get in touch with your host PI and see if he/she has been contacted at all. Fingers crossed for you!!!

Edited by BOGR_20

1 hour ago, BOGR_20 said:

I got an email from NSF and my fastlane status now says "approved." However, I've been in close contact with my host PI this last week- evidently, Universities Australia (the Australian partner agency) didn't have funding for me, so my host PI had to promise some funds of her own for my living expenses before they could approve it. You should maybe get in touch with your host PI and see if he/she has been contacted at all. Fingers crossed for you!!!

Thanks! I might contact my host PI... I’ve been cautiously optimistic this whole time because I volunteered to stay on tenure this next year. (Thus no living expense money required, the way I see it. All I need is the travel funds for a plane ticket.) but thanks for the response! This whole process has been a bit of an enigma to me and any insight is really helpful ?

I was also worried about whether host funding played a role in getting approved--I decided to go "on reserve" in effort to extend my duration of external funding (/save other external grant money). If staying on tenure mattered for being approved, it seems we should be able to change status after May 1 if needed. Haven't heard anything yet, but fingers crossed.

I also decided to stay on tenure this year- it was a hard decision to make without knowing the outcome of this award.... Because of that, my host PI is just supplementing my GRFP stipend to help cover 2 rents for several months (at home & abroad). She is not providing an entire living stipend- I think that helped. I agree that this entire process has been confusing with a severe lack of communication. I think you should definitely see if your host PI has heard anything, though. Good luck!!!

• 2 months later...

Hello All!

Congratulations to those awarded GROW fellowships. I am interested in applying for Mexico this upcoming year! It would be super helpful if anybody had examples of successful applications or had some pointers or tips on how to apply! I am a geosciences-marine bio fellow but I think applications from any discipline would be helpful!

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...