Adelaide9216

SSRHC 2017/2018 - CGS-M

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Saiyph said:

Great job congrats

I'm an alternate for the University I'm going to attend. Hopefully I will move up. Anyone know if there is any conceivable way to know where you are on the list?

Thank you, I am still in shock!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats everyone who got in! I've been lurking because I also applied, and I've been waitlisted for Concordia... anybody know who I should talk to to go about seeing where I sit? Also if I can have any idea of when I'll know wether I get it? Thanks in advance :).

Edited by rgood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to those of you who received CGS last night! I suppose this goes without saying, but if you were offered it for uOttawa as well as another school that you prefer, please let me know if you're considering on declining uOttawa! I was hoping to make my grad-school decision before April 15 but now with the possibility of receiving CGS I may be re-considering... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you accept the offer, what's the other steps? I'm kinda confused with the website because there are so many guidelines and stuff.

1) Is it possible to accept funding from another source (other scholarships?) as well?

2) We fill the direct deposit from, and then what happens next?

I am planning on moving out now that I got the CGS-M (for the first ever, I'd be living without my family :))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, i know this is the CGSM page but does anyone one how/when we hear back about OGS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Adelaide9216, which other types of scholarships do you mean? You can still be supported by your school (like if you normally receive a scholarship to cover tuition, but this depends on your school's policy. As well, you can still win small scholarships and awards, but not things like OGS at the same time.

@LuciFir, I believe the OGS deadlines are different for each school. For example, at mine, I believe we hear back April 30th.

@rgood, I believe the first round of people have 21 days to accept their offer, so after 21 days you should be able to know. Unfortunately, this is too late for people to make admission decisions based on, which sucks.

 

I got the SSHRC CGSM just now! Congrats and good luck to everyone else!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rgood said:

Congrats everyone who got in! I've been lurking because I also applied, and I've been waitlisted for Concordia... anybody know who I should talk to to go about seeing where I sit? Also if I can have any idea of when I'll know wether I get it? Thanks in advance :).

Some schools seem to be willing to indicate where you are on the waitlist while others explicitly mention they can't (as was the case yesterday when a university sent an email basically just saying "we can't tell you anything"). Its worth getting in touch with them though. 

I suspect most people will be making their decisions quite quickly. I'll be choosing my school on Monday and declining some offers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sonsofeasterly said:

Some schools seem to be willing to indicate where you are on the waitlist while others explicitly mention they can't (as was the case yesterday when a university sent an email basically just saying "we can't tell you anything"). Its worth getting in touch with them though. 

I suspect most people will be making their decisions quite quickly. I'll be choosing my school on Monday and declining some offers. 

Whom would you contact, if you don't mind me asking? Is there a funding committee secretary? Or would you contact your program secretary? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats everyone who received CGS-M. I was fortunate to receive one and am wondering if anyone knows/saw the same thing as me. When I went to click the little accept button it showed 3 dates and not sure what this refers to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Neposydko said:

Whom would you contact, if you don't mind me asking? Is there a funding committee secretary? Or would you contact your program secretary? 

It's obviously going to be university-specific, but I'd try to get in touch with someone in the grad studies faculty, rather than your department. CGS-Ms are managed at the university-level, so they'll be able to give you more info. I think... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, lkw1001 said:

Congrats everyone who received CGS-M. I was fortunate to receive one and am wondering if anyone knows/saw the same thing as me. When I went to click the little accept button it showed 3 dates and not sure what this refers to?

Congrats! The dates are for when you would start the award. There are some charts that indicate when you can start the award. Most of our programs work on a September-next September basis, so I selected 01/09/2017. If that is how your program operates, and you intended to get the award for a year starting this upcoming September, then select that option (the middle one).

I hope this makes sense!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Neposydko said:

Whom would you contact, if you don't mind me asking? Is there a funding committee secretary? Or would you contact your program secretary? 

My department at my school has a copy of the waitlist and I was told a few months ago by my supervisor that if I didn't get it immediately to contact my department head and he would tell me where I stood. So your department may know, but once again at this point I think it varies greatly by university.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, eternallyephemeral said:

Congrats! The dates are for when you would start the award. There are some charts that indicate when you can start the award. Most of our programs work on a September-next September basis, so I selected 01/09/2017. If that is how your program operates, and you intended to get the award for a year starting this upcoming September, then select that option (the middle one).

I hope this makes sense!

Hi! @eternallyephemeral Thank so much for the reply! That makes sense now, I totally read 01 as Jan....So I think I selected the following year as in (2018) is there a way this can be changed or it's pretty much set in stone now?

Edited by lkw1001

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any idea what it means when you've recieved a CGS-M funding offer from a school, but haven't received an offer of admissions yet (not even told that I have been waitlisted or was interviewed; just in limbo)? That's where I am with York.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sasha0413 said:

Does anyone have any idea what it means when you've recieved a CGS-M funding offer from a school, but haven't received an offer of admissions yet (not even told that I have been waitlisted or was interviewed; just in limbo)? That's where I am with York.

That's really strange - but I'm sure it's coming! If they gave you SSHRC, you're obviously a very strong candidate. I'd follow up with admissions and ask what the hold up on the offer is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually was put on the Alternate list for a school I was refused from (UOttawa)... Not sure how that happened but I guess it just involves different committees. I was also put on the Alternate list for the school I've accepted (Concordia) so I'm hoping I move up! I've e-mailed the person in of my program so I'm hoping she might be able to give me an idea of where I stand.

For reference, this is my first year applying for a CGS and to Master's programs. I was accepted to Concordia in MA Child Studies (which I accepted), McGill Human Development with a $3,500 scholarship (I declined it), and I was not accepted by Ottawa in Clinical Psychology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sasha0413 said:

Does anyone have any idea what it means when you've recieved a CGS-M funding offer from a school, but haven't received an offer of admissions yet (not even told that I have been waitlisted or was interviewed; just in limbo)? That's where I am with York.

Just to add on to what sonsofeasterly said, but the awards are not departmental. It is possible to get rejected from a school, but receive an award (I know people this has happened to but they were rejected before notice of the award). However, normally once you receive an award the university is definitely inclined to accept you since you become essentially free! I would send an email asking for an update as well as mentioning that you received the CGS. Very likely to be accepted in this case. 

Edited by RBspkRuP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, RBspkRuP said:

Just to add on to what sonsofeasterly said, but the awards are not departmental. It is possible to get rejected from a school, but receive an award (I know people this has happened to but they were rejected before notice of the award). However, normally once you receive an award the university is definitely inclined to accept you since you become essentially free! I would send an email asking for an update as well as mentioning that you received the CGS. Very likely to be accepted in this case. 

 

2 hours ago, sonsofeasterly said:

That's really strange - but I'm sure it's coming! If they gave you SSHRC, you're obviously a very strong candidate. I'd follow up with admissions and ask what the hold up on the offer is. 

Thank you for the input. I've tried to go back through the forums and I've seen few cases with people with the situations @summerlee and @RBspkRuP described but I haven't read anything describing what I've experienced. I'll try sending out some email and hopefully there will be some good news at the end of the tunnel.

Edited by sasha0413

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, lkw1001 said:

Hi! @eternallyephemeral Thank so much for the reply! That makes sense now, I totally read 01 as Jan....So I think I selected the following year as in (2018) is there a way this can be changed or it's pretty much set in stone now?

Hi! I think you should contact the school you will be holding the award at. One of the options is Jan, it's 01/01/2018, which I understand makes it more confusing.

If you can find someone relevant to contact at the tri-agency, then you could reach out to them as well. But the school will ultimately be in charge of awarding the money, so they are probably good to speak to asap about this.

Best of luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, eternallyephemeral said:

@Adelaide9216, which other types of scholarships do you mean? You can still be supported by your school (like if you normally receive a scholarship to cover tuition, but this depends on your school's policy. As well, you can still win small scholarships and awards, but not things like OGS at the same time.

@LuciFir, I believe the OGS deadlines are different for each school. For example, at mine, I believe we hear back April 30th.

@rgood, I believe the first round of people have 21 days to accept their offer, so after 21 days you should be able to know. Unfortunately, this is too late for people to make admission decisions based on, which sucks.

 

I got the SSHRC CGSM just now! Congrats and good luck to everyone else!

I meant small scholarships and other external awards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I meant small scholarships and other external awards.

I received other small scholarships when I had OGS this year, and I didn't read anything disallowing it when I was going through documents today.

That also wouldn't make much sense, right? They want you to succeed and be recognized, I would hope!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question :

 

Let's say I stay at my parents' place (which is most likely to happen), am I allowed to put aisde in the bank a part of the scholarship or do I "have" to use the entire amount during the academic year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now