SSRHC 2017/2018 - CGS-M

Adelaide9216

14 hours ago, eternallyephemeral said:

Hi! I think you should contact the school you will be holding the award at. One of the options is Jan, it's 01/01/2018, which I understand makes it more confusing.

If you can find someone relevant to contact at the tri-agency, then you could reach out to them as well. But the school will ultimately be in charge of awarding the money, so they are probably good to speak to asap about this.

Best of luck!

Ok that makes sense thank you so much!!! I appreciate it :)

2 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I have a question :

Let's say I stay at my parents' place (which is most likely to happen), am I allowed to put aisde in the bank a part of the scholarship or do I "have" to use the entire amount during the academic year?

They deposit it into your bank account...so you're free to do whatever you want with it. I know someone who bought a car with it. They really don't care - as long as you maintain your status. 

To those who received the SSHRC from Carleton but aren't intent on taking it, can you please decline it?

I was listed as an alternate at Carleton, but received it from UOttawa. I declined it at Ottawa to expedite other people's chances on the waitlist. 

Cheers

1 hour ago, sonsofeasterly said:

They deposit it into your bank account...so you're free to do whatever you want with it. I know someone who bought a car with it. They really don't care - as long as you maintain your status. 

Ok, just wanted to make sure! I never got an award prestigious like this one.

22 hours ago, Saiyph said:

Anyone get CGS-M acceptances (or alternates, or rejections) from University of Calgary?

I received an acceptance from the U of C, and one of my colleagues was placed as an alternate. Good luck!   

I received CGS-M to University of Ottawa, University of Calgary, University of Guelph and Laurier University. Will be declining all except for maybe Laurier (still waiting for acceptance). Accepted to University of Ottawa, but not for the research based course (therefore cannot accept the CGS-M), received OGS at Ottawa. 

22 hours ago, JohnnyBGoode said:

To those who received the SSHRC from Carleton but aren't intent on taking it, can you please decline it?

I was listed as an alternate at Carleton, but received it from UOttawa. I declined it at Ottawa to expedite other people's chances on the waitlist. 

Cheers

I received a SSHRC from Calgary and declined-- so heads up Calgary alternates. 

I'm also listed as an alternate for Carleton. I called to ask how long the alternate list is but they couldn't share that information. Anymore Carleton alternates out there?

Just found out I am ranked #21 on the alternate list at Concordia... does anyone have any knowledge of what this means/the likelihood of receiving the award? This is my first year applying and I think that Concordia generally accepts 40-44 people total for CGS awards

5 hours ago, Boxer1 said:

I received a SSHRC from Calgary and declined-- so heads up Calgary alternates. 

I'm also listed as an alternate for Carleton. I called to ask how long the alternate list is but they couldn't share that information. Anymore Carleton alternates out there?

Thank you for letting us know!

On 4/1/2017 at 4:40 PM, Saiyph said:

Anyone get CGS-M acceptances (or alternates, or rejections) from University of Calgary?

I was listed as an Alternate. I have emailed the grad office to see if they will release where I stand, but I have not heard back yet. My program administrator said she had not heard anything yet.

Anyone have a SSHRC offer from the University of Regina that they're planning on declining? High up on the alternate list, so would greatly appreciate if you could let me know. If you're still unsure, then please make your decision ASAP! :)

Edited by Noctiv

1 hour ago, Neposydko said:

Contact the awards and funding office

@rgood Exactly! I contacted my graduate program advisor and she gave me the name of someone who would be able to tell me. I don't want to give out names but yes someone in the awards and funding office should be able to let you know.

31 minutes ago, summerlee said:

@rgood Exactly! I contacted my graduate program advisor and she gave me the name of someone who would be able to tell me. I don't want to give out names but yes someone in the awards and funding office should be able to let you know.

Thanks Summer! I was able to contact them and found out I'm 2... fingers friggin crossed

43 minutes ago, rgood said:

Thanks Summer! I was able to contact them and found out I'm 2... fingers friggin crossed

That's amazing! I think you're pretty much guaranteed funding then :) What program are you in?

On 2017-04-03 at 3:38 PM, MelLyne said:

I was listed as an Alternate. I have emailed the grad office to see if they will release where I stand, but I have not heard back yet. My program administrator said she had not heard anything yet.

I emailed the Graduate Scholarship Office at UCalgary to ask and they said that their policy does not allow disclosure of any ranking of any scholarship competition, so I can only wait and see.

Does anyone know when alternates are supposed to hear if they've received a declined SSHRC or not? Posts from 2012 indicate that as soon as someone declined the next alternate received notification immediately. I've looked around and some other posts say that alternates will not hear until April 22nd (once the 21 day acceptance window has passed for first round offers). 

32 minutes ago, Boxer1 said:

Does anyone know when alternates are supposed to hear if they've received a declined SSHRC or not? Posts from 2012 indicate that as soon as someone declined the next alternate received notification immediately. I've looked around and some other posts say that alternates will not hear until April 22nd (once the 21 day acceptance window has passed for first round offers). 

I received an offer from alternate status on Monday. Presumably it is instant/automatic, where the system just moves up the list to next person and makes the offer.