Adelaide9216

SSRHC 2017/2018 - CGS-M

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, JohnnyBGoode said:

I was on the waitlist as an alternate for Carleton, and I just got an email a couple of hours ago! Congratulations to those who got it, and to those who are still waitlisted; remain hopeful!!!

Congrats! That's excellent news

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on everyone who got funded! I totally understand the feeling, I so did not think I could make it too. But I did! And I'm happy that you guys did too.

 

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may be a stupid question but I just want to make sure. I got offered SSHRC funding at one institution but I was rejected from the program at that school. I got accepted into a program at an institution where I did not list on my SSHRC application. Is it possible to transfer that award to the institution that I will be attending? Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cosimaniehaus said:

This may be a stupid question but I just want to make sure. I got offered SSHRC funding at one institution but I was rejected from the program at that school. I got accepted into a program at an institution where I did not list on my SSHRC application. Is it possible to transfer that award to the institution that I will be attending? Thanks in advance!

Even though I was pretty confident I knew the answer to this I emailed a while back asking anyways just to be absolutely sure and I was told that no, the award is not transferrable. Unfortunately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, cosimaniehaus said:

This may be a stupid question but I just want to make sure. I got offered SSHRC funding at one institution but I was rejected from the program at that school. I got accepted into a program at an institution where I did not list on my SSHRC application. Is it possible to transfer that award to the institution that I will be attending? Thanks in advance!

I thought that if you would get funding at one university, you'd be garanteed to be accepted in that university logically. That's what I've always heard but I might be wrong.

I know that when you apply to sshrc you have to list all the universities for which you attend to apply (maximum of 4). I don't know if it's possible to transfer at that point, you would need to speak with them...

Edited by Adelaide9216

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, cosimaniehaus said:

This may be a stupid question but I just want to make sure. I got offered SSHRC funding at one institution but I was rejected from the program at that school. I got accepted into a program at an institution where I did not list on my SSHRC application. Is it possible to transfer that award to the institution that I will be attending? Thanks in advance!

Since every school evaluates the candidates that have applied to that school separately, and also since every school has a quota of scholarships that is individual to that school, I guess it makes sense that they are not transferable :/ Just because of the process really, which is truly weird I agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I contacted the school I will be attending and was informed that all of the SSHRC grants have now been allocated. Oh well, fingers crossed for next year I suppose. Congratulations to everyone who received funding! 

Edited by thatstudentlife

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2017 at 10:07 PM, thatstudentlife said:

I contacted the school I will be attending and was informed that all of the SSHRC grants have now been allocated. Oh well, fingers crossed for next year I suppose. Congratulations to everyone who received funding! 

Which school?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2017 at 11:27 AM, thatstudentlife said:

Any more news for anyone on an alternate list? The anticipation is killer. I declined an offer at my second choice school, but I'm still listed as alternate at my first choice. I hope I don't regret declining one... 

Still in purgatory here ^^. Think i'll drop out due to lack of funding, apply next year, gl all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, teds2 said:

Is there anything that I need to do after accepting the offer?

At my university, since they are the ones who are going to be managing the award, I had some forms to fill up and give to them. Maybe it's the same or a similar process for you.. I would ask your financial aid departement at your university.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2017 at 1:56 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

I heard that it's harder to get CGS-M than the doctoral scholarship from SSHRC. Is that true?

The PGS-D is tenable outside Canada, which means it may be more competitive only because it casts a wider net than the the CGS-D and CGS-M, both of which can only be held at Canadian universities. 

I'd suspect that the CGS-D is more competitive, as (from what I've anecdotally heard) a lot of MA students enter their programs having never heard of the CGS program, that's likely no longer true at the doctoral level. However, a prof told me the funding tends to 'snowball', meaning if you have a CGS-M you may have a leg up over an applicant who doesn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

 

is there a limit to the amount of external scholarships you can cumulate while having CGS-M? I just got a small scholarship, I am going to receive it this summer, and I am waiting for two other scholarships' answer as well. I know I have to report every amount that I get, but I just wanted to know if there is a maximum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-07-03 at 7:11 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

Hello,

 

is there a limit to the amount of external scholarships you can cumulate while having CGS-M? I just got a small scholarship, I am going to receive it this summer, and I am waiting for two other scholarships' answer as well. I know I have to report every amount that I get, but I just wanted to know if there is a maximum.

well usually what happens is that you get the full CGS-M and the other sources should put a cap. for example i had to decline scholarships from my department when I got federal scholarships 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone else still being waitlisted as an alternate, or know someone who was still waitlisted by August for previous applications? I'm really happy not to have been rejected outright but I'm anxious to know when I might get an answer.
Congrats to those who have already received their funding!  

Edited by Dolcedame

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2017 at 7:57 PM, Dolcedame said:

Is anyone else still being waitlisted as an alternate, or know someone who was still waitlisted by August for previous applications? I'm really happy not to have been rejected outright but I'm anxious to know when I might get an answer.
Congrats to those who have already received their funding!  

I just created an account so that I could say yes, I'm in the same boat. How many people would have to wait until the last minute and then decline in sequence for there to still to be unclaimed awards at this point? I bet the decisions are made, and someone forgot to press a button. Nonetheless, there's just enough hope for me to feel tension... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/08/2017 at 7:22 PM, Antikythera said:

I just created an account so that I could say yes, I'm in the same boat. How many people would have to wait until the last minute and then decline in sequence for there to still to be unclaimed awards at this point? I bet the decisions are made, and someone forgot to press a button. Nonetheless, there's just enough hope for me to feel tension... 

Ugh, preach! I've heard of people hearing back as late as December. What gives?!

Thanks for responding and good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Is it normal that they haven't released the names of the funded projects on their website ? 

I think the 2017-2018 fiscal year information is not up yet. I am more familiar with the NSERC side (although they must use very similar systems). The names, partial stats (some awards are not yet accepted) and affiliations of NSERC award holders have been posted (back in Sept): http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/NSERC-CRSNG/FundingDecisions-DecisionsFinancement/ScholarshipsAndFellowships-ConcoursDeBourses/index_eng.asp?Year=2017

But the database that allows you to view titles etc. only go to fiscal year 2016-2017: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/ase-oro/index_eng.asp.

The fiscal year (at least for NSERC, but again, the tri-agencies probably are very similar) ends on March 31. The NSERC Awards Database contains the total amount of monies paid out in that fiscal year, so I would expect the database to be updated after the fiscal year ends. Fun side note: I tried to look up myself and realised that since I did a different project than what I proposed for in both the CGS-M and PGS-D cases, the titles are all wrong! Oh well. I think for student projects, the database entries aren't as important as the big Discovery grants that faculty have!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now