SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

Thank you!! I really hope that you (and everyone else on this board) hears some good news soon!!:lol:

Edit: Also, no word since then. I've asked about value and duration and such, but I think I caught them on lunch hour.

Edited by SpaceJump

Finally, yes. So much waiting, and it's all over. It sucks that I just ordered my transcripts this morning though... that's $25 burned. That said, I'll probably just hold on to them for my next application for whatever it may be. $25 is no worry at this point.

Life is good, mates. Very good. Best of luck to the rest of you. I, like Mudlark, will be around, cheering you on.

(Also, I'm going to e-mail MSP and thank her for everything.)

Edited by Canuckonomist

Same here. Just got the update. Things are as I expected, which is to say, the SDF I was expecting. Sweet, ruby tuesday.

Again, congrats SpaceJump.

*Inter-post internet forum high five part 1*

Edited by Canuckonomist

Congrats to Canuck and Space Jump! I guess I'll be representing the waiting list from now on. It feels a bit lonely...

MSP did mention something about two weeks, so there's still a little bit of hope there, and Christmas is still 2 months from now! It would be so frustrating to miss an award by 0.1 point, but I guess somebody has to miss it by 0.1 point.

Edited by ChanEcon

Congrats guys! I'm really happy for you both. :) I would assume that if you're currently in second year, you'd be getting $20k for 3 years.

Still a little bitter about my situation, but I think I'm starting to accept that I was just in a really sh*tty subgroup, hah. Ah, well...

Congrats guys! I'm really happy for you both. :) I would assume that if you're currently in second year, you'd be getting $20k for 3 years.

Still a little bitter about my situation, but I think I'm starting to accept that I was just in a really sh*tty subgroup, hah. Ah, well...

Yup. It was confirmed indeed that the award is the SDF(3,20000). I had a great time just updating my CV last night. I feel almost impressive, and it's a great feeling. Your situation is a rough one, to be in a subgroup like that. But you do have some money coming in, so there is a consolation prize. It just bites to lose out on $45,000.

I'm also stoked that this money isn't taxable. It puts me in a respectable net-tax income bracket. My partner and I started looking at 2 bedroom apartments last night.

...I feel bad saying it, but...I'm actually in my first year, so this is 4 x 20,000 for me...

Thanks everyone for the congrats, and here's hoping you all hear the good news soon too!

Edit: Man, mudlark, yeah. It's a relief, esp. because I found out later that same day that another source of income fell through - if I hadn't won SSHRC three hours beforehand, I would have been devastated.

Edited by SpaceJump

...I feel bad saying it, but...I'm actually in my first year, so this is 4 x 20,000 for me...

Thanks everyone for the congrats, and here's hoping you all hear the good news soon too!

Edit: Man, mudlark, yeah. It's a relief, esp. because I found out later that same day that another source of income fell through - if I hadn't won SSHRC three hours beforehand, I would have been devastated.

Nothing to feel bad about there, kiddo. You earned it. On my end, UToronto is fairly stingy, and I'm waiting to hear whether this award gets the $2500/yr "Thanks-for-not-making-us-pay-you-$11000/yr-in-fellowship" top-up, or whether everything gets scooped. I may have to hand in a cheque for $5000 to UofT as early as next week. I sure hope that SSHRC funding gets here soon...

(Still looking for bigger apartments... This is my treat to myself, a bigger place... though I could use a small keyboard, too. A microKORG or something.)

Oh, and thanks Amuna, I appreciate the kudos. I'm so thrilled that I could share this joy with SpaceJump. We've been here a while. That said, I hope we get to share this joy with Chan, sshrchopeful and the rest, too. We've got a couple month until december comes to a close, so it ain't over until it's over.

In the words of Mickey Goldmill, 'I didn't hear no bell!"

Edited by Canuckonomist

yes congrats to both of you. i can hardly believe something actually moved. the way sshrc handled this was so strange! alas, since my waitlist position magically changed from 'slightly hopeful' to 'not a chance' i am now putting all my energies into the next competition. perhaps i'll see some of you waitlisters on the SSHRC 2011 thread (is there one yet? i haven't checked)...but hopefully you all get good news instead!

wow, congratulations to the people who finally heard news!

i have some dumb questions about the SSHRC application and i thought i'd ask here before i start harassing the SSHRC staff (which i will do plenty of once i'm waiting on results).

when the instruction say that your name needs to be "within the margins" on every page, does that mean in the 3/4" margin space itself or NOT in the 3/4" space but inside that, in the text/body section of the paper? if i was thinking rationally i'd figure within the margins meant in the margin space rather than "inside" the margins/in the body, but i'm paranoid about doing something stupid with formatting and having my application tossed, so i figured i'd ask here.

and when you get 2 pages for the personal statement but 5 pages for "bibliography and citations," does that mean i can use end notes and put them in those 5 pages or do i need to use footnotes/internal citations within the 2 page statement and give their full bibliographical reference in the 5 page biblio/citation section? i'm having a hard time keeping within the 2 page limit as it is, but if i need to use internal citations or footnotes as part of that 2 pages, i'm going to be in trouble.

thanks for letting me spill this thread over into the 2010/2011 competition. and again, congratulations to the recent winners!

wow, congratulations to the people who finally heard news!

i have some dumb questions about the SSHRC application and i thought i'd ask here before i start harassing the SSHRC staff (which i will do plenty of once i'm waiting on results).

when the instruction say that your name needs to be "within the margins" on every page, does that mean in the 3/4" margin space itself or NOT in the 3/4" space but inside that, in the text/body section of the paper? if i was thinking rationally i'd figure within the margins meant in the margin space rather than "inside" the margins/in the body, but i'm paranoid about doing something stupid with formatting and having my application tossed, so i figured i'd ask here.

and when you get 2 pages for the personal statement but 5 pages for "bibliography and citations," does that mean i can use end notes and put them in those 5 pages or do i need to use footnotes/internal citations within the 2 page statement and give their full bibliographical reference in the 5 page biblio/citation section? i'm having a hard time keeping within the 2 page limit as it is, but if i need to use internal citations or footnotes as part of that 2 pages, i'm going to be in trouble.

thanks for letting me spill this thread over into the 2010/2011 competition. and again, congratulations to the recent winners!

Hey StrangeLight,

It's not a dumb question. SSHRC people look for every reason to toss an app, so making sure you get the margins right is important. It's almost like a skill testing question. I don't have the answers for you just yet, but I'd recommend also starting this question on an Official SSHRC 2011 thread if there isn't one yet. There may be others applying for 2011 that have the same question, and it's important that we all help eachother!

Canuck

Edited by Canuckonomist