PhD Fall 2018 Applicants

vallaboop

22 hours ago, cindyboop said:

I know how you feel, I've had quite the bumpy road myself. I applied to neuroscience PhD programs my senior year of college with very minimal research experience, no posters or paper publications and not the best GRE scores or GPA. I was discouraged when I got rejected, I took the semester off, braved it and asked for new LOR to apply to a neuroscience master's program. I got accepted and I was thrilled. However, life being the way it was I had to leave after a semester (even though I had a stellar GPA). I was so upset I didn't know what to do with myself. I finally got a research assistant job and applied to a clinical psychology masters program. I've just finished my first year and I'm ready to try to apply to PhD programs again (this time more specialized and hopefully more prepared). Everyone has their own story and I believe that if your story shows that you are passionate (and I believe that you are with your 3rd attempt at applying) then your LOR writers will have no problem helping you out. I wish you the best of luck, third times the charm!

Thank you for sharing your story ? It really did and does help. This online community helps. We share a lot of similarities. I've finished my MA and I'm working in a lab at a very well known institution. So it seems like I'm just surrounded by success stories! It's easy to forget that others don't alway get in so easily or on the first try. It's easy to be self deprecating, I'm hoping to show my mentors that I speak to less frequently more and more progress with each application cycle. 

1 hour ago, Psychapplica said:

Thank you for sharing your story ? It really did and does help. This online community helps. We share a lot of similarities. I've finished my MA and I'm working in a lab at a very well known institution. So it seems like I'm just surrounded by success stories! It's easy to forget that others don't alway get in so easily or on the first try. It's easy to be self deprecating, I'm hoping to show my mentors that I speak to less frequently more and more progress with each application cycle. 

I totally agree! I'm super anxious about the whole process but reading everyone's stories and seeing what steps they have taken really helps me. I'm glad I could help! If you have any other questions or want any other advice feel free to ask, I'm constantly researching programs and the whole application process. 

Does anyone know how to tell how competitive it is to get into a certain program? I want to great a list of schools I'm applying to based on how hard it is to get into them but I'm not sure how to do that.

5 hours ago, cindyboop said:

Does anyone know how to tell how competitive it is to get into a certain program? I want to great a list of schools I'm applying to based on how hard it is to get into them but I'm not sure how to do that.

There are two options I can think of to assess competitiveness but they each have flaws so maybe they should be combined. 

1) Look at top ranking schools in your area and assume the ones ranked higher are more difficult to get into. But the 25 most competitive applicants to a top 5 ranked school is probably likely more competitive than the top 25 applicants to a much lower ranked school.

2) Look for admissions info for each school and calculate their acceptance rate. However, acceptance rates can be deceiving because school A might accept 30 out of 700 while school B gets 100 applicants and accepts 4. School B has a lower acceptance rate but the number of applicants suggests school A is a more desirable/competitive school with faculty/programs that have more money for students.   

Of course, you can be nearly identical to another student and not be picked because the PI can only take one of you, or there's 30 great applicants for 5 spaces, or a great applicant's PI decides not to take a student, you're not a good fit, etc. Level of competitiveness doesn't always mean your chances are better or worse. 

12 hours ago, dormcat said:

There are two options I can think of to assess competitiveness but they each have flaws so maybe they should be combined. 

1) Look at top ranking schools in your area and assume the ones ranked higher are more difficult to get into. But the 25 most competitive applicants to a top 5 ranked school is probably likely more competitive than the top 25 applicants to a much lower ranked school.

2) Look for admissions info for each school and calculate their acceptance rate. However, acceptance rates can be deceiving because school A might accept 30 out of 700 while school B gets 100 applicants and accepts 4. School B has a lower acceptance rate but the number of applicants suggests school A is a more desirable/competitive school with faculty/programs that have more money for students.   

Of course, you can be nearly identical to another student and not be picked because the PI can only take one of you, or there's 30 great applicants for 5 spaces, or a great applicant's PI decides not to take a student, you're not a good fit, etc. Level of competitiveness doesn't always mean your chances are better or worse. 

Thank you for your advice! That is a good point. I know it's definitely a lot harder to gauge graduate schools than undergrad. I guess I'm just trying to make sure I have at least one "safety" school but it's so hard to know. 

Thanks again!

Glad I came across this thread!

Program of interest: Social Psychology

Schools you have looked at: My first preference is OSU, also looking at Michigan State, Penn State. I'm still looking what other schools I should apply for.

Number one worry about applying: Struggling with the GRE, for my third attempt i got V:151, Q:161, AWA:3.5 (not the best writer, obviously English is not my first language, but I got 4.0 in my first two trials). I'm working on my research experience and I'm getting a graduate degree in business psychology with GPA 4.0 so far.

I don't have the energy or moral to retake the GRE and I'm hoping if I work on other aspects of my application it would compensate.

During the last application cycle, I connected very well with a POI. She advocated for my application but in the end the committee overall felt my application wasn't strong enough. She suggested that I reach out to her in May (so now) if I was not given any offers. Now that May is here, how should I start that conversation? This was my first choice program last cycle and likely it will be again. I would like to apply to this program again and keep in contact with her. Find ways to strengthen my application. 

Edited by Psychapplica

On 5/20/2017 at 3:10 PM, EgyPsychologist said:

I don't have the energy or moral to retake the GRE and I'm hoping if I work on other aspects of my application it would compensate.

Oh, I'm right there with you. Just can't bring myself to study for that test again and retake it for a third time. 

Program of Interest: Clinical/Counseling Psychology, and hopefully a program with a strong Neuropsych component

Schools You Have Looked At: So many.  Too many.  I've narrowed my list from 60+ down to 25, and will hopefully have the list narrowed down to my final 10 or 12 by the end of next month.

Number One Worry About Applying: Not getting accepted anywhere.  I was rejected twice before being accepted into my MEd program this round (and that was a consolation prize because they couldn't offer me a spot in the PhD program, which was what I had applied for), and I'm coming to grad school later in life, so I worry about what happens if I don't get in this round - how many more rounds of applications I can justify, what can I do to strengthen my application any further, etc.

I can empathize with your worries so much! This is not my first cycle, it's not even my second, so how many more times can I go through this? But I really can't see myself doing anything else! What sort of things are you doing to strengthen your application? Have you have a common theme in feedback from previous cycles? Mine is consistently my gre score. 

Edited by Psychapplica

4 hours ago, topsailpsych said:

Program of Interest: Clinical/Counseling Psychology, and hopefully a program with a strong Neuropsych component

Schools You Have Looked At: So many.  Too many.  I've narrowed my list from 60+ down to 25, and will hopefully have the list narrowed down to my final 10 or 12 by the end of next month.

Number One Worry About Applying: Not getting accepted anywhere.  I was rejected twice before being accepted into my MEd program this round (and that was a consolation prize because they couldn't offer me a spot in the PhD program, which was what I had applied for), and I'm coming to grad school later in life, so I worry about what happens if I don't get in this round - how many more rounds of applications I can justify, what can I do to strengthen my application any further, etc.

I can empathize with your worries so much! This is not my first cycle, it's not even my second, so how many more times can I go through this? But I really can't see myself doing anything else! What sort of things are you doing to strengthen your application? Have you have a common theme in feedback from previous cycles? Mine is consistently my gre score. 

1 hour ago, Psychapplica said:

What sort of things are you doing to strengthen your application? Have you have a common theme in feedback from previous cycles? Mine is consistently my gre score. 

The advice after round 2 was that I had no research experience and limited psych experience (I only had 6 hours in undergrad since I studied Poli Sci). I took a grad cert program in Positive Psychology and applied to a different psych program on the same campus since the one I had been applying to focused primarily on children and the other focused more on adult (and I want to work at the VA, definitely not with kids).  I also started volunteering in a research lab and did some research through where I was working to help beef up my research credentials.  When I applied to the Counseling program I interviewed for the PhD program, but everyone else that I was interviewing with already has a Master's, so I just couldn't compete and wasn't offered a spot in the doc program.  I accepted the offer to join the Master's cohort because it gives me the opportunity to further beef up my psych credentials, and will hopefully make me more competitive for this next round of doc applications.

I'm with you on not being able to see yourself doing anything else.  That being said, in the decade since finishing undergrad I've had a lot of work experience in a number of fields, so I have the confidence that there are other ways I could make a living if I had to.  But I know this is my calling, so if I have to work in another job for a while before I can finally get into a doc program I certainly can and will. 

On 5/21/2017 at 11:20 AM, Psychapplica said:

During the last application cycle, I connected very well with a POI. She advocated for my application but in the end the committee overall felt my application wasn't strong enough. She suggested that I reach out to her in May (so now) if I was not given any offers. Now that May is here, how should I start that conversation? This was my first choice program last cycle and likely it will be again. I would like to apply to this program again and keep in contact with her. Find ways to strengthen my application. 

I would recommend reintroducing yourself and thanking for the opportunity to reach out to her. Then from there just ask her how you can strengthen your application and possibly tell her that you look forward to reapplying with the potential to work with her in the future. Or something along those lines...

1 hour ago, cindyboop said:

Does anyone know when is the latest you can take the GRE to still be able to apply in upcoming application season? 

It is always better to submit an early application with all the scores and transcripts. They will only view your application once it is complete. However, as long as you submit your application before the deadline (usually December 1st) you can still provide GRE scores after that and communicate with the department or graduate office to notify them you sent new scores.

Bare in mind that by the time you complete your application late in time, the department might have already filled the spots accepting other applicants with completed profiles.

9 minutes ago, EgyPsychologist said:

It is always better to submit an early application with all the scores and transcripts. They will only view your application once it is complete. However, as long as you submit your application before the deadline (usually December 1st) you can still provide GRE scores after that and communicate with the department or graduate office to notify them you sent new scores.

Bare in mind that by the time you complete your application late in time, the department might have already filled the spots accepting other applicants with completed profiles.

I didn't even think about how they might have already filled the spots. That's a really point, thank you! 

23 hours ago, cindyboop said:

I didn't even think about how they might have already filled the spots. That's a really point, thank you! 

I just finished the application cycle and every single program I applied to indicated that GRE scores had to be in by the December 1st deadline and that they wouldn't look at your application until everything is in. I also got the sense that of the 14 I applied to, only 13 seemed to have their mind made up before the deadline. Most schools don't even meet to talk about applications until mid-December. 

I took the GRE 3 times and the last one I took was November 14th. There was time for the score to show-up online and send to schools before the deadline. I wouldn't take it any later than that. Reminder, even though the score is reported to you the day you take the exam, it takes 10-15 days for it to be reported online with your writing score and THEN you can send it to all of your schools, which they claim takes 3-5 business days (not including the 4 schools you may have sent to during your exam).

4 hours ago, PNIplz said:

I just finished the application cycle and every single program I applied to indicated that GRE scores had to be in by the December 1st deadline and that they wouldn't look at your application until everything is in. I also got the sense that of the 14 I applied to, only 13 seemed to have their mind made up before the deadline. Most schools don't even meet to talk about applications until mid-December. 

I took the GRE 3 times and the last one I took was November 14th. There was time for the score to show-up online and send to schools before the deadline. I wouldn't take it any later than that. Reminder, even though the score is reported to you the day you take the exam, it takes 10-15 days for it to be reported online with your writing score and THEN you can send it to all of your schools, which they claim takes 3-5 business days (not including the 4 schools you may have sent to during your exam).

Thanks for your advice! I'm planning on taking it in August but I'm working full time and I'm worried I won't be ready by then. Here's to hoping I don't go later than November!

6 hours ago, cindyboop said:

Thanks for your advice! I'm planning on taking it in August but I'm working full time and I'm worried I won't be ready by then. Here's to hoping I don't go later than November!

I took mine in August, October, and November. Just know that there IS time if things don't work out in August!

7 hours ago, cindyboop said:

Just a bit of advice from a GRE procrastinator, make sure to schedule it as early in advance as your finances will allow. Last year they were re-doing the website and it crashed for like two weeks making it impossible for a lot of us to schedule appointments. It was definitely a preventable stress! I would also say take it as early as you can JUST in case you have to retake. I took my first early August, bombed it, but still had time to study and retake late October. Good luck! :)

On 5/16/2017 at 6:29 AM, Psychapplica said:

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm doing everything I can to strengthen my application. This is my 3rd round. This part is always the hardest for me. Going back for my LOR's

I feel you! This is going to be my third cycle too! But you should feel confident. At least you were waitlisted so you know your application is competitive. I feel optimistic for you, don't give up. 

We may become classmates btw! What are the schools you are applying for? What are you most worried about?

And a tip you might already have known that you can contact the graduate admission office to reuse the LOR you used in an application in a previous cycle. They will have them on record. You can even select which ones you want on your next application.

Good Luck!

On 5/26/2017 at 11:06 PM, ellieotter said:

Just a bit of advice from a GRE procrastinator, make sure to schedule it as early in advance as your finances will allow. Last year they were re-doing the website and it crashed for like two weeks making it impossible for a lot of us to schedule appointments. It was definitely a preventable stress! I would also say take it as early as you can JUST in case you have to retake. I took my first early August, bombed it, but still had time to study and retake late October. Good luck! :)

Thank you! I think I will schedule it now for August so I will give myself time to retake it if need be. That's a good plan!

On 5/26/2017 at 10:40 PM, PNIplz said:

I took mine in August, October, and November. Just know that there IS time if things don't work out in August!

Thanks!

My interest is History. 

I'm looking at a number of schools, PSU, UCLA, JHU, CUNY Grad ctr, to name a few...

My concerns are my GREs, they are good but I could probably do better. So I will retake.

I also attend an online program, SNHU.  It has been great as far as I can tell.  But I worry about the stigma of online programs and if that will be a negative on my app.  I've been looking for opportunities to do research outside of my class work and hooefully have something of substance published before app season begins.

15 minutes ago, Qtf311 said:

My interest is History. 

I'm looking at a number of schools, PSU, UCLA, JHU, CUNY Grad ctr, to name a few...

My concerns are my GREs, they are good but I could probably do better. So I will retake.

I also attend an online program, SNHU.  It has been great as far as I can tell.  But I worry about the stigma of online programs and if that will be a negative on my app.  I've been looking for opportunities to do research outside of my class work and hooefully have something of substance published before app season begins.

I'm unsure what history programs look for but if you do well at SNHU and have excellent GRE scores, and LOR then you might be okay. The programs you are applying to might not be familiar with SNHU so it might not matter. Online programs and online F2F hybrids are becoming prevalent. There is a decent amount of research and literature showing how online learning can be just as efficacious as F2F learning. However, I firmly believe that depends on the course of study. SNHU is really popular and well known in NH (that's where I'm from) so I know it definitely has a better rap then say Phoenix. Either way, if you can prove that you are a competitive applicant then you should be okay.