PhD Fall 2018 Applicants

vallaboop

1 hour ago, Qtf311 said:

My interest is History. 

I'm looking at a number of schools, PSU, UCLA, JHU, CUNY Grad ctr, to name a few...

My concerns are my GREs, they are good but I could probably do better. So I will retake.

I also attend an online program, SNHU.  It has been great as far as I can tell.  But I worry about the stigma of online programs and if that will be a negative on my app.  I've been looking for opportunities to do research outside of my class work and hooefully have something of substance published before app season begins.

Maybe I am confused, but why are you posting in the psychology forum if your interest is history? It's possible this thread may span forums but I am a bit lost...

Hello everyone!

I am feeling very nervous about applying and still feel unsure of my timeline so any help would be appreciated! I am currently an undergraduate student hoping to apply to Clinical Psych PhD programs this upcoming fall. 

I currently work as a research assistant on campus and have worked there the past two years. The study that I am working on is an anxiety intervention for children. I am also interning as a research assistant this summer at an eating disorders lab. I have also had clinical experience interning at an Adoptions agency working with children/families with a focus on trauma and trauma informed therapy. My GPA is pretty low (3.4 cumulative) but I do think that I will be able to have good letters of recommendation. I am studying now and planning on taking the GRE and Psych GRE at the end of summer. I am also using Magoosh to study and it has been very helpful so far (but I haven't taken the GRE yet).

A back up plan for me is that I am going to apply for post-bacc and research positions as well as graduate programs so that way I would be able to work/build experience after graduating if I did not get accepted into a program that I really loved. 

I am interested in working with children and families related to anxiety, internalizing disorders, family impact on disorders and intervention. I feel that my area of interest is pretty broad and I am not sure if this is helpful or harmful! I am still trying to narrow down schools that I would like to apply to. 

3 hours ago, Lindsay_D said:

Hello everyone!

I am feeling very nervous about applying and still feel unsure of my timeline so any help would be appreciated! I am currently an undergraduate student hoping to apply to Clinical Psych PhD programs this upcoming fall. 

I currently work as a research assistant on campus and have worked there the past two years. The study that I am working on is an anxiety intervention for children. I am also interning as a research assistant this summer at an eating disorders lab. I have also had clinical experience interning at an Adoptions agency working with children/families with a focus on trauma and trauma informed therapy. My GPA is pretty low (3.4 cumulative) but I do think that I will be able to have good letters of recommendation. I am studying now and planning on taking the GRE and Psych GRE at the end of summer. I am also using Magoosh to study and it has been very helpful so far (but I haven't taken the GRE yet).

A back up plan for me is that I am going to apply for post-bacc and research positions as well as graduate programs so that way I would be able to work/build experience after graduating if I did not get accepted into a program that I really loved. 

I am interested in working with children and families related to anxiety, internalizing disorders, family impact on disorders and intervention. I feel that my area of interest is pretty broad and I am not sure if this is helpful or harmful! I am still trying to narrow down schools that I would like to apply to. 

What schools are you looking at? You might want to consider applying to some terminal masters programs if you are worried you are not competitive enough to get admitted directly into a PhD program. Depending on what your GRE scores turn out to be I would say that you have a decent chance of getting accepted but clinical programs are super hard to get into. If you go into a masters program first and show that you can succeed in a graduate school environment it may help your chances of being accepted down the road. Of course, apply to PhD programs as well. It just might be a nice back up plan rather than a post-bacc. 

1 hour ago, cindyboop said:

What schools are you looking at? You might want to consider applying to some terminal masters programs if you are worried you are not competitive enough to get admitted directly into a PhD program. Depending on what your GRE scores turn out to be I would say that you have a decent chance of getting accepted but clinical programs are super hard to get into. If you go into a masters program first and show that you can succeed in a graduate school environment it may help your chances of being accepted down the road. Of course, apply to PhD programs as well. It just might be a nice back up plan rather than a post-bacc. 

I am looking at U of Maryland, U of VA, U of Florida, U of Texas, Austin, Florida State University, U of Delaware, U of South Florida, West VA U, but again I haven't exactly narrowed down anything and I am still looking at other places and might add/delete from the list! I was hoping to not have to do the Masters step for financial reasons among others. I had spoken with a lot of my advisors and PI's at various labs I have worked in on their thoughts and had found that a Post-Bacc was a good step before a PhD program in their opinions so I think that I would be doing that (if anything) before a PhD program. 

Hello Everyone,

First off all I would like to wish all you good luck in your prospective graduate studies.

I am planning to apply for grad schools in clinical psychology, i am especially interested in university of Georgia, Georgia state univ, university of tennesse, and wiscounsin. My biggesst problem is my GPA is below 3.00 and i do not have thesis paper. In gre subject test i am in 99 percent which for now seems like it is my strongest  aspect for application. I have two research assistanship experience but since i am just busy with my internship this year i want to add more academic experience to my resumee.

My questions are do you suggest me to write a review paper to strengthen my application or maybe set up an experiment in the clinic i am doing my internship? If i do does that really increase my chance of being accepted ?.

I have one good letter of reccomendation and other 2 are medicore i guess.  I rely on financial aid for my GRAD studies and i feel like i should do more to increases my chanches. I definetly will study for GRE general test but i would really appriciate any advice for anything to make my application more powerfull.

Thank you all and good luck !

• 2 weeks later...

I'm applying to neuro programs this year and I am so nervous! My GPA is certainly my weak spot (3.2). I've tried to make up for my less than stellar first two years with six years of research experience, posters, publications, getting As in grad level classes, and befriending influential PIs at my institution. I want to go to a top program, but based on my GPA that may unfortunately be a long shot :( From now until February is going to be so stressful!! 

Edited by somino42

On 6/14/2017 at 9:11 AM, somino42 said:

I'm applying to neuro programs this year and I am so nervous! My GPA is certainly my weak spot (3.2). I've tried to make up for my less than stellar first two years with six years of research experience, posters, publications, getting As in grad level classes, and befriending influential PIs at my institution. I want to go to a top program, but based on my GPA that may unfortunately be a long shot :( From now until February is going to be so stressful!! 

What type of neuro programs are you interested in specifically? What is your research in and what are your GRE scores? It's possible to make up for your GPA and it seems like you are certainly trying to show that you are capable of succeeding. 

On 6/3/2017 at 6:43 AM, Burak Dogruoz said:

Hello Everyone,

First off all I would like to wish all you good luck in your prospective graduate studies.

I am planning to apply for grad schools in clinical psychology, i am especially interested in university of Georgia, Georgia state univ, university of tennesse, and wiscounsin. My biggesst problem is my GPA is below 3.00 and i do not have thesis paper. In gre subject test i am in 99 percent which for now seems like it is my strongest  aspect for application. I have two research assistanship experience but since i am just busy with my internship this year i want to add more academic experience to my resumee.

My questions are do you suggest me to write a review paper to strengthen my application or maybe set up an experiment in the clinic i am doing my internship? If i do does that really increase my chance of being accepted ?.

I have one good letter of reccomendation and other 2 are medicore i guess.  I rely on financial aid for my GRAD studies and i feel like i should do more to increases my chanches. I definetly will study for GRE general test but i would really appriciate any advice for anything to make my application more powerfull.

Thank you all and good luck !

A sub 3.0 is going to be an extremely tough sell as most schools will automatically cut those apps as there are so many applicants (a 3.5 minimum is preferred and even then you still have many hurdles). On top of that, having 2 mediocre letters will really hurt you. Do you have anyone else who can write any for you? From the previous cycle I think my letters really helped me overcome my meh grades.

Also I'm a little unclear on this but are you in a master's program right now and that's where the 3.0 is from? If so then I'd be aa bit more worried. If it's from undergrad and you have  had experiences since then the it'll be tough (and probably take multiple application cycles) but possibly doable.

On 5/28/2017 at 1:08 PM, EgyPsychologist said:

I feel you! This is going to be my third cycle too! But you should feel confident. At least you were waitlisted so you know your application is competitive. I feel optimistic for you, don't give up. 

We may become classmates btw! What are the schools you are applying for? What are you most worried about?

And a tip you might already have known that you can contact the graduate admission office to reuse the LOR you used in an application in a previous cycle. They will have them on record. You can even select which ones you want on your next application.

Good Luck!

Say what?! I did not know that lol. Learn something new every cycle!  I think my biggest fear (aside from repeated rejection) is my gre score. In case anyone else out there doesn't know this- some gre prep service providers offer financial aid. I highly recommend applying for this! I just did! 

my gre fear is a harsh reality! I had the privilege of sitting in on admissions decisions for our labs incoming student. Only after comparing scores did our PI ask, "we'll do any of them have publications?" I work within a highly competitive psych program. If I can get that score up, I think I can get my foot in the door! I have three papers in progress- none yet in review but the data is ready. ? 

I haven't entirely decided my schools yet- but I am experimental focused as opposed to clinical. I will be reaching out to the PI who waitlisted me last year and another PI I connected with. I want see if this year holds possibilities if my application is stronger. 

What about you? What sort of feedback have you gotten on your apps? Has it helped you in any way?

I am SO glad I'm not the only one who's freaking out already!

We're pretty much in the same boat, OP.

Program of interest: Neuroscience

Research interest: Behavioral, Cognition, Learning & Memory, Social Neurosciences

Schools looked at: Everything. I have a 186 list of schools that I'm narrowing down one by one.  I just graduated with my BA so I am either applying for Masters OR PhD. Hoping for PhD but I don't have a great GPA which leads to....

Number one worry about applying: Everything.  But mostly my numbers.  I am retaking the GRE and restudying so I can have it be more competitive and compensate for my GPA.  My CV/resume is pretty stellar and I'm just hoping that'll help me along!

Does anyone else go back and forth from being like "I've worked really hard, I will definitely get into at least one program" to "ugh it's so competitive there is no way I will get in." ?

My anxieties are driving me crazy.:unsure:

On 6/26/2017 at 0:30 AM, neuromorgan said:

I am SO glad I'm not the only one who's freaking out already!

We're pretty much in the same boat, OP.

Program of interest: Neuroscience

Research interest: Behavioral, Cognition, Learning & Memory, Social Neurosciences

Schools looked at: Everything. I have a 186 list of schools that I'm narrowing down one by one.  I just graduated with my BA so I am either applying for Masters OR PhD. Hoping for PhD but I don't have a great GPA which leads to....

Number one worry about applying: Everything.  But mostly my numbers.  I am retaking the GRE and restudying so I can have it be more competitive and compensate for my GPA.  My CV/resume is pretty stellar and I'm just hoping that'll help me along!

186?! Wow, I though my list was crazy. What schools did you find with behavioral neuro programs? If you don't mind me asking.

37 minutes ago, cindyboop said:

Does anyone else go back and forth from being like "I've worked really hard, I will definitely get into at least one program" to "ugh it's so competitive there is no way I will get in." ?

My anxieties are driving me crazy.:unsure:

I was like that last cycle as it was my second and my pubs were still in prep. The best thing you can do is have a back-up plan (paid RA gig) and tell yourself that it happens to MANY people and that no one in the field judges you for it. When I thought I wasn't getting in this year (On my 2nd try) my mentors stressed that sometimes it comes down to faculty flipping a coin to determine who they want because so many great applicants apply and that it comes down to how your combination of great traits matches up to others and that you can't control (short of emailing POI and slyly asking what future projects will be). 

Just breathe, do your research on the faculty, and in the meantime continue to be productive. I still kick myself thinking of all the times I wasted worrying instead of getting stuff done or practicing self-care.

14 minutes ago, 8BitJourney said:

I was like that last cycle as it was my second and my pubs were still in prep. The best thing you can do is have a back-up plan (paid RA gig) and tell yourself that it happens to MANY people and that no one in the field judges you for it. When I thought I wasn't getting in this year (On my 2nd try) my mentors stressed that sometimes it comes down to faculty flipping a coin to determine who they want because so many great applicants apply and that it comes down to how your combination of great traits matches up to others and that you can't control (short of emailing POI and slyly asking what future projects will be). 

Just breathe, do your research on the faculty, and in the meantime continue to be productive. I still kick myself thinking of all the times I wasted worrying instead of getting stuff done or practicing self-care.

Thanks for your response. That makes me feel a bit better. I will try to relax, I just get so worried that too much time will pass and I will no longer be a competitive applicant. My timeline was already delayed due to personal reasons and I don't want any other gaps. I currently have a job as an RA and I know I will be able to keep this position until I decide to leave but I'm just worried it's not good enough. BAH I need to get out of my own head. 

*breathing now* thanks again

3 minutes ago, cindyboop said:

Thanks for your response. That makes me feel a bit better. I will try to relax, I just get so worried that too much time will pass and I will no longer be a competitive applicant. My timeline was already delayed due to personal reasons and I don't want any other gaps. I currently have a job as an RA and I know I will be able to keep this position until I decide to leave but I'm just worried it's not good enough. BAH I need to get out of my own head. 

*breathing now* thanks again

If it makes you feel better I was waitlisted at a top clin psych program behind 1 other applicant. Reasoning? This person had 1 more year of being out of undergrad and in the field than me. Legit, we were so similarly matched that seniority won and if I applied the next cycle I'd have a huge advantage. So while you don't want to wait for 10 years, 2-5 yrs post-bac won't hurt at all if you have a good reason and were still engaged in research or anything remotely clinical.

48 minutes ago, 8BitJourney said:

If it makes you feel better I was waitlisted at a top clin psych program behind 1 other applicant. Reasoning? This person had 1 more year of being out of undergrad and in the field than me. Legit, we were so similarly matched that seniority won and if I applied the next cycle I'd have a huge advantage. So while you don't want to wait for 10 years, 2-5 yrs post-bac won't hurt at all if you have a good reason and were still engaged in research or anything remotely clinical.

oh wow, that's a serious bummer. At least they told you why you were behind the other person. well I will try to keep working hard and hope for the best I guess.

Thanks for this thread!

Program of interest: Developmental Psych PhD

Schools you have looked at: I know where I am applying (assuming my PIs of interest are accepting applications): Washington, Yale, Michigan, Stanford, NYU, Harvard, Cornell, U of Chicago, and a few others.

Number one worry about applying: My stats are good so I think I'll get interviews, but I don't interview well. Planning to practice interview with lots of friends to build my skills in this domain.

I just realized I was totally in the wrong thread and have no clue how to delete...apologies all around!

Edited by Wootie

Some schools have already started updating their websites with professors who are/aren't taking students this year. I'm 3 for 3 with professors I wanted to work with who aren't taking someone. Anyone else worried this will be an especially competitive year due to federal budget cuts (aka diminished grant funding)? :unsure:

...Although I'm not sure how much the proposed cuts have actually taken effect yet, so maybe the consequences won't be seen until next year's application cycle.

Edited by clinpsych55

Hi all! New here :)

I also need to share my 'journey' to calm my brain. I just started studying for the GRE.. it's scary!

Program of interest: Social Psych/Organizational Psych

Research interest: Macro psych (culture, socio-ecology) and/or topics related to social hierarchy/power/status/inequality/immoral behavior

Schools looked at: I am obsessed with UVa' department in terms of research fit. Also University of British Columbia, U Waterloo, U Illinois at Urbana/C, Berkeley, Stanford, Maryland, and now looking into business schools. Not sure which will make the shortlist yet, but will also ask some of the profs I work with for help. 

Number one worry about applying: Am currently mainly worried about my GRE scores - am a non-native speaker (and got some flashcards) and have never bothered with maths in high school. Ugh. I plan on taking it late October. I just find the whole thing extremely intimidating

Not worried about: I am about to finish my MPhil/Research Master in Social Psych with only A's and A+'s at a Dutch program that seems to have a good reputation and am graduating on a topic that fits to both macro psych & organizational psych. Took quite a lot of methods/stats class in undergrad, and my grades steadily went up (higher grades for more advanced classes). Only took one Stats class during my current degree (which I finished with A+), but got 48 out of 120 credits in research projects (also both A+).

Also feel fine about my resume. I was lab manager for the last 2 years, but also engaged in extra projects and did some research during undergrad as well (including thesis). Also tried to expand my experience by doing some teaching and was an editor for a (student) journal. I will probably have 2-3 manuscripts in preparation for which I'm co-author at the time of application, maybe some submitted. 

Think my recommendation letters are totally fine. I got quite close with a lot of staff as the lab manager, and especially the head of the department is really favorable to me, as is my current supervisor who is trying to convince me to apply for a grant together (but I want to work with somebody else for some time haha). A third person shouldn't be a problem at all. 

JUST THE GRE IS SO INTIMIDATING. I've never been amazing with maths - just decent. And the verbal is just scaring me in terms of vocabulary. The writing Im not too worried about. I've started studying for it this week - using the Manhattan flash cards and am now going over the math review for now. It's a start. Any tips are always welcome :) 

Questions: What is the thing with that departments already fill their spots before the deadline? Is this common practice?
Also, any tips for approaching potential supervisors? I don't want to come off looking stupid hehe.

In Europe the whole system is just so different....

It's officially started btw!!! :unsure:

I'm only applying to one program (who already has their 2018 application open..)

I've had a bit of a complicated path, but I'm hoping that I'm still competitive. Now I just get to wait until Dec. to find out about an interview...

Best of luck to everyone!!!  

Hey, everyone! Hope everyone is ready for the upcoming cycle!

Program of interest: Industrial-Organizational Psychology

Research interest: Interested in recruitment, selection, training, development, conflict resolution, and diversity research. Also interested in power in the workplace, as well.

Scores:  

Verbal GRE: 158/580     (new/old)

Quant GRE: 155/710       (new/old)

Written GRE: 5

Undergrad. GPA: 3.44

Current Grad GPA: 3.71

Education:

B.S. in Psychology, Minor in Communications

(current) M.Ed. in Student Personnel Administration in Higher Education

Research Experience:

Research Assistant with Psychology Clinical Doc Student for 1 semester

Research Intern for the Center of Housing and Community Studies for 1 semester

Graduate Research Assistant for the past two months for a doctoral student (currently)

Presentation at Guilford College LGBT Conference for Higher Ed. Officials

Schools looked at:

Portland State University, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, SUNY Albany, Harvard University, NC State, Michigan State University, Virginia Tech, University of Illinois Urbana-Champage, University of Maryland, Pennsylvania State University, University of Georgia

I am pretty stoked to apply this cycle, but I am pretty nervous. I definitely cannot afford to retake the GRE, and my undergrad GPA is a little low. I am pretty excited still! Anyone else applying along the same route?

Hey everyone! I'm super glad I found this forum early. This is my second time applying to Ph.D. programs (although the first time I applied I was going Clinical Psychology and now I am going Quantitative Psychology). That was almost two years ago. I am currently a second-year Psychological Research Masters student. I'm hoping I'll have better luck this go around.

Program of interest: Quantitative Psychology

Research interest: Structural Equation Modeling and Network Analysis limitations and applications

Schools: A wide variety including UNC Chapel Hill, Ohio State University, UCLA, UVA, Arizona State, UC Merced, etc.

Number one worry about applying: I feel like I'm still haunted by a less than stellar undergrad GPA. I graduated with a 3.3. During my sophomore year, I took a bunch of Bio and Chemistry classes in addition to Calculus and it wrecked my GPA. It was quite a climb to get to the 3.3. The reality is that was 4 years ago. I'm a different person now. I hope they don't hold it over my head.

Not worried about: Master's GPA (4.0), GRE (V157, Q161), Research Experience (2.5 years in 4 labs), Publications (1 submitted, 2 in prep [potentially submitted before application deadline, fingers crossed]), and LoR (3 pretty stellar ones from the labs I've worked in for the past year)

On a side note (speaking to anyone who has potentially been rejected and is super down), getting rejected 2 years was a good thing. It was a complete ego blow, and I was devastated. However, I decided to go to a Masters program to try, and improve my chances and from that experience, I realized that Clinical was not a good fit for me. I'd never even heard of Quantitative Psychology in my undergraduate. Plus even if I still wanted to go clinical, I gained 1.5 years of research experience and posters/publications that would greatly improve my chances. Just want to throw it out there that rejection can be helpful, and 1 year can make a dramatic difference in your application!