Jump to content

Do Canadian universities all have late notification?


Recommended Posts

Hello everyone! I applied PhD programs for 3 Canadian universities, U of Toronto, UBC and U of Alberta. None of them gave me any information up to now. For universities in US, if one doesn't heard from the universities by now, the chances of getting in would seem very slim. Is that the same case for Canadian universities? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, guitarHeroAn said:

I don't think so. Most of the people I know who applied to Canadian universities, including the ones you applied to, have still not heard anything from them. I think its pretty common, so patience my friend.

That's comforting, thank you! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, isbutteracarb said:

It seems all over the place. U of T gave me an acceptance decision by February 28, and UBC only on March 22.

I heard that some UBC programs are really behind on their application review. You should follow up with a polite email and find out your status.

Congratulations for the ADs! How I envy you...What programs are you applying? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, isbutteracarb said:

It seems all over the place. U of T gave me an acceptance decision by February 28, and UBC only on March 22.

I heard that some UBC programs are really behind on their application review. You should follow up with a polite email and find out your status.

Congrats! I followed up with UBC last week and all I get is a generic email saying offers go out in March, and if you haven't heard back until March first week you're still being considered for admission. This was from UBC. UofT said they send decisions through February to March. 

I applied to computer science masters though. Can you tell me what your deadline to accept the offer at both UofT and UBC?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Feanor said:

I hope you are right, McGill is driving me crazy with the lack of news.

Yeah man same here. But I think it'll all be worth it, we'll probably hear back from everywhere all at once, and then deciding where to go will be easier.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone in the results page contacted the POI at McGill to enquire and found out is in the wait list. The POI said they were impressed by the file, but funding for internationals is tricky and so they'd wait for the replies on the first round of offers and check again after April 15, suggesting that if you were not rejected by now then you should be on the same boat.

 

Are you all internationals as well?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also waiting and it's making me crazy. I sent an email on the 20th to the dept secretary and got no response. Meanwhile I was accepted by another school and they'd like my response by April 3rd.

ughhhhhhhhhhh

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all I have applied for M.Eng. Mechanical engineering in Canada for the fall term at the Univ of alberta, Carleton and Guelph I neither received any news nor any updates. Anyone know anything about these universities admission process pls reply 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-03-24 at 2:39 PM, guitarHeroAn said:

Congrats! I followed up with UBC last week and all I get is a generic email saying offers go out in March, and if you haven't heard back until March first week you're still being considered for admission. This was from UBC. UofT said they send decisions through February to March. 

I applied to computer science masters though. Can you tell me what your deadline to accept the offer at both UofT and UBC?

Thanks! U of T's deadline is April 15, UBC is April 4. This is for Humanities, though; I imagine it varies by department.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-03-24 at 1:11 PM, Drunkydropout said:

Congratulations for the ADs! How I envy you...What programs are you applying? 

Thank you! I applied to a PhD in History.

Hang in there. What I've learned from this process is that Canadian universities are extremely reticent. I was rejected from the 3 American schools I applied to, and those rejections came well before Toronto's acceptance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Waiting on Masters, but I have yet to hear back from 4/5 of the programs I've applied to as well, all Canadian. I was rejected from Western around March 8th. I had an interview with a prof at Toronto in December. No word since from any of the programs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2017 at 2:44 PM, Batzzy said:

Hi all I have applied for M.Eng. Mechanical engineering in Canada for the fall term at the Univ of alberta, Carleton and Guelph I neither received any news nor any updates. Anyone know anything about these universities admission process pls reply 

Are you an international student?  Most MEng in Canada are professional programs and tuition is often over 30k/year (international) without funding.

A lot of MEng in Canada don't come out till the summer as a lot of programs have MASc applications that turn into MEng if the MASc application is not successful.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, 

I have applied to Queen's and McMaster's in Canada for M.Sc. mathematics (International student). So, clearly I didn't receive an offer in the first round. But any idea when they send a second round of offers? It is already April and it seems not getting accepted till now means a rejection.

Do Canadian places stipulate that people who received offers in round I make a decision by April 15th like in the US? If so, do I stand a chance of receiving an offer after April 15th?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cannonfodder said:

Hi, 

I have applied to Queen's and McMaster's in Canada for M.Sc. mathematics (International student). So, clearly I didn't receive an offer in the first round. But any idea when they send a second round of offers? It is already April and it seems not getting accepted till now means a rejection.

Do Canadian places stipulate that people who received offers in round I make a decision by April 15th like in the US? If so, do I stand a chance of receiving an offer after April 15th?

I'm not sure about Queen's and MacMaster's, but I recently talked with several professors in U of Toronto and U of Alberta (casual talk on a conference), it seemed they haven't made the decision and they're not in a hurry. They don't have a April 15th deadlines so the decisions may be late, also the admission decisions. So... hope for the best! And prepare for the worst...

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, cannonfodder said:

Hi, 

I have applied to Queen's and McMaster's in Canada for M.Sc. mathematics (International student). So, clearly I didn't receive an offer in the first round. But any idea when they send a second round of offers? It is already April and it seems not getting accepted till now means a rejection.

Do Canadian places stipulate that people who received offers in round I make a decision by April 15th like in the US? If so, do I stand a chance of receiving an offer after April 15th?

The April 15 deadline exists in the US but not in Canada. Every school sets their own deadline.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

It's almost end of April. I am beginning to wonder if some of the Canadian places will respond at all. Do they also send out offers in May or are they just not responding because they have rejected me?

I tried emailing one of them and they said they have said they have sent out round one of offers but I am sure that was quite some time ago. The other two haven't responded to my email.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cannonfodder said:

It's almost end of April. I am beginning to wonder if some of the Canadian places will respond at all. Do they also send out offers in May or are they just not responding because they have rejected me?

I tried emailing one of them and they said they have said they have sent out round one of offers but I am sure that was quite some time ago. The other two haven't responded to my email.

Yeah all of the Canadian universities still haven't given me any response, I gave up and settled in my safe school. I've seen people get accepted in May and even in June, but who knows whether or not they got early unofficial offer from POI. My suggestion is keep sending emails or simply call the graduate offices, there's still hope, but if you got a plan B, it's time to start preparing. That's what I did. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Drunkydropout said:

Yeah all of the Canadian universities still haven't given me any response, I gave up and settled in my safe school. I've seen people get accepted in May and even in June, but who knows whether or not they got early unofficial offer from POI. My suggestion is keep sending emails or simply call the graduate offices, there's still hope, but if you got a plan B, it's time to start preparing. That's what I did. 

There's a chance that another school may still admit you. But at this point, if it happens it's likely because someone is taking a long time to make a decision on whether or not to accept or because someone has changed their mind about attending and they need to find an alternate candidate. 

I think you have made a wise decision to attend your safety school. Congrats on the offer!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.