BSW Admissions 2017!!

bswhopeful

Hi everyone!

I couldn't find any forums dedicated to BSW applications for the 2017 cycle. I thought I'd start this as a place to discuss. I graduated with a Bachelors in Criminology from SFU and have applied to several schools, including UBC, UVic, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Dalhousie.  I've been accepted into UVic for the May entry but I'm waiting on the edge of my chair for the decision from the other schools.  Anybody in the same boat?  Please feel free to introduce yourself! 

Hello! I have applied to the BSW advance standing as I have an undergraduate degree, and am patiently waiting for mid May to come! I am curious as to what kind of working/volunteer experience you have and what averages did you apply with?

Thanks! :)

Hi there!

I also applied to UVic (for September entry), Calgary and Dalhousie! I graduated with a BA in Child & Youth Studies and so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.. hoping to hear from UVic soon!! 

I live in Ontario and applied to a couple schools last year but got rejected. I didn't have enough experience (volunteer/work) so I did a lot of that in this last year. Just curious, what type of volunteer/work experience did you have? :)  Would love to hear from anyone! 

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎03 at 6:44 AM, Dazed_n_confused99 said:

Hello! I have applied to the BSW advance standing as I have an undergraduate degree, and am patiently waiting for mid May to come! I am curious as to what kind of working/volunteer experience you have and what averages did you apply with?

Thanks! :)

Hi Dazed_n_confused99!

I've been wondering the same thing; I want to ensure I'm on the right track in terms of experience as well! Personally, this past year I have volunteered in crisis response with my local Victim Services organization. I also am a Bereavement Support Group facilitator at my local hospice, a mentor with Big Brothers/Big Sisters, and am on the Board of Directors with a local agency! I also have completed some other workshops/volunteer experiences.

What schools have you applied to?! I wish you the best of luck and hopefully we all hear back soon!

I feel so happy! I just finished my last BSW assignment. One exam left, and I am done with my bachelor's degree and heading off to the master's! Soon it will be you guys as well :) Good luck with your admission to the BSW!

• 3 weeks later...
On April 6, 2017 at 6:58 PM, bsw17 said:

Hi Dazed_n_confused99!

I've been wondering the same thing; I want to ensure I'm on the right track in terms of experience as well! Personally, this past year I have volunteered in crisis response with my local Victim Services organization. I also am a Bereavement Support Group facilitator at my local hospice, a mentor with Big Brothers/Big Sisters, and am on the Board of Directors with a local agency! I also have completed some other workshops/volunteer experiences.

What schools have you applied to?! I wish you the best of luck and hopefully we all hear back soon!

Hey Lavender Blu!

Dalhousie is the only school I applied for this year.  I graduated about 4 years ago from UW, majoring in social and development studies with a specialization in social work and have just been working and trying to gain experience ever since.  I had applied to a couple local schools in previous years; I did not get accepted although I met the [minimum] requirements.   Unfortunately there were more acceptable candidates in the pool at that time.  It seems the minimum average(s) have raised at couple of the schools I have been considered in the past and the pool of people entering social work keeps growing, so my options are limiting as I let the time pass.  Regrettably I did not do well in my last year due to allowing personal problems distract me.  At that point I just wanted to graduate, bringing my average down to a 73%.  Considering my average I am hoping my experience can bring me higher in the applicant pool. My past and present experience (totaling 6 years) includes:  volunteering & working in a shelter for at risk youth, totaling 4 years; 1 year in a transitional home for youth; 4 years supporting adults with disabilities in a residential setting; 4 years experience working 1:1 in home support for child with autism; 2 years experience as a child and youth worker; and two years volunteering at a stable, assiting vulnerable persons ride horses for therapeutic purposes.  I am hoping I will get accepted this time around! I also wish you the best of luck.  Please connect back here and let me know if you have been admitted and I will certainly do the same. :) If I don't get accepted, I will remember to not give up and continue to peruse my passions! 

Edited by Dazed_n_confused99
Spelling error

6 hours ago, attempting said:

I just got my acceptance letter from Dal for the distance BSW part-time.

Great! Congrats! Would you mind sharing your credentials? I had a 3.9 average going in. Currently deans list at UNBSJ. I have been working in a treatment centre for 1.5 years, over 4 years of volunteer work and great references. My statement was great in my opinion, so I'm stumped. :( so disappointed 

4 hours ago, Jessmj said:

Great! Congrats! Would you mind sharing your credentials? I had a 3.9 average going in. Currently deans list at UNBSJ. I have been working in a treatment centre for 1.5 years, over 4 years of volunteer work and great references. My statement was great in my opinion, so I'm stumped. :( so disappointed 

I'm sorry that you didn't get in :(

My marks aren't remarkable, I have a B+ average. I have 1 year experience working at a drop-in centre for women/non-binary folk living with mental health and addictions. 2 years working in mental health research and 1 year working in research ethics. I worked for a year on a animation project with people experiencing homelessness. I also worked a summer with children and youth with disAbilities.

I have over 4 years of volunteer/practicum experience working at a drop-in centre for people experiencing homelessness and under-housing, a mental health call-in centre for children/youth, centre for youth experiencing early signs of psychosis and their families, did art/music programs at a high school with the developmental disabilities department, and did programming at a retirement home.

I also worked really hard on my statement and was open about my personal experiences/struggles. 

It might be helpful to contact admissions and ask about where you need improvement. I know some universities will give you feedback and tell you where you can improve. Others (e.g. UofT) will not. 

Thank you so much for the reply! Do you currently have a full undergrad? I am wondering if that is what did me in. I only have 11 classes in, so I am wondering if that made the difference. It's really upsetting and has now made me question my entire path. I worked my butt off for this and I'm so discouraged. ?

Hi Jessmj,

So sorry to hear that you didn't get in this year. That must be so upsetting and discouraging ?

I would say that not having your undergrad would be your only downfall!  You seem to have lots of experience and a great gpa..so I don't think you could have done much more!  I have heard that they almost always consider applicants with degrees before others still working on their degree. 

Try not to be discouraged and keep on trying!  My friend applied two years ago and wasn't accepted and tried again this year, after completing her degree, and was accepted. A few other people I know who completed the program were also accepted with full degrees.

I would definitely contact Dal and ask for feedback so that you can have some peace of mind!

Don't give up! 

14 hours ago, Jessmj said:

Thank you so much for the reply! Do you currently have a full undergrad? I am wondering if that is what did me in. I only have 11 classes in, so I am wondering if that made the difference. It's really upsetting and has now made me question my entire path. I worked my butt off for this and I'm so discouraged. ?

Yes, i completed my degree 4 years ago. Does the university you are currently in have a BSW program? It might be easier to just switch your degree at your current university than to apply to an accelerated program at another school. 

I know its discouraging to not get into the program you want. But keep trying! If this is what you want to do you will find your way there. 

Edited by attempting

Thanks everyone! I'm trying to not be too discouraged. It's hard, but I am sure I'll figure something out. I am 31 and I cannot wait 3 more years to reapply. I am just going to look at another path. It's unfortunate but I'm guessing the universe has something else in store for me. Thanks again for all of the support!