Fulbright 2018-2019

AnnMarie

Hello to everyone!

Since the last Grant cycle is coming to an end and the next cycle's application is now open, I figured it would be helpful to begin this next thread! Congratulations to the last cycle's grantees!

Let's help each other out in the Fulbright process. This is a great place to ask questions, get familiar with the process, and chit chat to blow off some steam! 

Good luck to us all! :D

A little bit about myself. This will be my second time applying for the Fulbright. The last cycle I was designated as an alternate. After some research, it seemed like my country usually only finds extra funding for ETA's. So I'm applying again. :) I'm going for Poland research. Feel free to introduce yourself and where you are applying to.

AnnMarie,
Thank you for creating this thread! I have been watching the thread for the 2017 cycle for some time now. I am thinking of applying to Jordan for a research grant.

I am thinking of applying if I do a PhD. But I am uncomfortable applying because of Trump's ban and the whole current situation in the US. I feel a lot of solidarity with the people originally from the countries that are included and targetted in the ban, but also because I am non-White and am afraid of being directly affected by it. I have a lot of stories of people from Canada who have been denied access to the US recently even if they are Canadian citizens. Also, English is my second language so that would be a challenge (I currently hand in all my papers in French even if my courses are taught in English at my university). And also, I have with a health condition and even if it doesn't hinder me from working, studying, attending graduate school, etc; I'm afraid that there might be some discrimination in the selection process since they are asking for medical report of the applicant.

8 hours ago, HopefullA said:

AnnMarie,
Thank you for creating this thread! I have been watching the thread for the 2017 cycle for some time now. I am thinking of applying to Jordan for a research grant.

I've met a person who have applied for the Jordan Fulbright and won. They loved it! I hope you decide to apply :)

8 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I am thinking of applying if I do a PhD. But I am uncomfortable applying because of Trump's ban and the whole current situation in the US. I feel a lot of solidarity with the people originally from the countries that are included and targetted in the ban, but also because I am non-White and am afraid of being directly affected by it. I have a lot of stories of people from Canada who have been denied access to the US recently even if they are Canadian citizens. Also, English is my second language so that would be a challenge (I currently hand in all my papers in French even if my courses are taught in English at my university). And also, I have with a health condition and even if it doesn't hinder me from working, studying, attending graduate school, etc; I'm afraid that there might be some discrimination in the selection process since they are asking for medical report of the applicant.

From my understanding with the health clearance, as long as it doesn't hinder your teaching or research you are completely fine. I know you mentioned that yours doesn't effect your ability to function. You could always email the Fulbright foundation and ask! I'm sure they would give you a very clear answer about it.

The current political turmoil going on in the U.S. does through a wrench into the Fulbright process. Though, I think it makes the Fulbright that much more important. It was created to help strengthen ties and relationships between countries to facilitate cultural understanding. From the sounds of it, you'd make a very good candidate with a diverse background. I share in your concerns with our political state, though.:unsure:

I'll be applying for one of the three open research grants to Iceland (in addition to a few other granting bodies). I'm hoping to do a third year of my MA program and to complete my thesis there. I work in contemporary Icelandic literature and translation theory. In the last two years around 35 people have applied for this grant, so I'm not really sure how competitive I'll be -- but it's worth a shot! My home institution is having a few sessions later this month on Fulbright which is nice -- I assume this is probably normal at a lot of larger research institutions.

Best of luck to everyone!

Hello new Fulbright applicants! I am a current Fulbright researcher in Moldova and, as there were ZERO Fulbright applicants to Moldova for the 2017-2018 grant year, I would like to ask those of you with an interest in Eastern Europe and some experience with the Russian or Romanian language (or an interest in learning those languages) to consider applying to Moldova, where active Fulbrights are needed and very much appreciated. I would be happy to share my personal experiences here or connect ETA applicants with the current ETAs in Moldova, feel free to PM me and we can connect via email.

https://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/selectedcountry/moldova

Hey all! Another 2nd time applicant. Got rejected first round last time, but I'm making some changes for this cycle and I hope it'll go better this time. I'll be applying for a research grant to New Zealand. I'm pursuing a clinical doctorate in physical therapy (DPT) and I'm still working out whether I'll propose a thesis-only master's or pure research. 

@Adelaide9216The health clearance is basically just a physical from your physician after you've been accepted as a finalist. I have some health issues and I emailed Fulbright after the first round rejection to see if I should even bother applying again. The rules are nondiscriminatory and they're just making sure you can realistically accomplish what you've set out to, basically. If you'd like, I can post the exact response I got from that email as I didn't specify what my health issues were so it's a very generic response. 

1 hour ago, iDance said:

Hey all! Another 2nd time applicant. Got rejected first round last time, but I'm making some changes for this cycle and I hope it'll go better this time. I'll be applying for a research grant to New Zealand. I'm pursuing a clinical doctorate in physical therapy (DPT) and I'm still working out whether I'll propose a thesis-only master's or pure research. 

@Adelaide9216The health clearance is basically just a physical from your physician after you've been accepted as a finalist. I have some health issues and I emailed Fulbright after the first round rejection to see if I should even bother applying again. The rules are nondiscriminatory and they're just making sure you can realistically accomplish what you've set out to, basically. If you'd like, I can post the exact response I got from that email as I didn't specify what my health issues were so it's a very generic response. 

Hello, yes I would be interested in seeing the answer you got.

I've considered applying for a Fulbright next year as an at large candidate, I'll have finished my masters degree here in about a month. I have given some thought to what and where I want to study, though I won't be accepted at any of the locations that I could use Mandarin Chinese (only language I speak other than English). I've spent and will spend again this year sufficient time in China that Taiwan, China, HK, and Macau will all automatically eliminate my application. I thought about Singapore or some other SE location where Mandarin (or some quick study of the local dominant language) would be useful, like Indonesia or Malaysia. Funding has definitely been impacted for next year's cycle however, but I suppose the surest way to get denied is to never apply. Still on the fence about the whole process. 

I am considering re-applying for 2018-2019. If I do I will be applying at-large. My current master's program will be completed by July 2017.

This year I made it to the semi-finalist round for ETA Bulgaria but I was ultimately rejected. I'm not sure if I should stick with Bulgaria or apply for another CE/EE country for ETA. 

Edited by catsbloom
typo

@Adelaide9216 Per Lora Seery: "Once an applicant is offered an award, they must have a doctor certify that their health allows them to travel internationally and participate in the day to day activities required of their grant. If an applicant does[sic] any medical conditions, our concern is that they will be able to get the ongoing treatment/medication given their grant placement."

Hope this helps!

7 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

At what time do you start preparing an application for Fullbright (like how many months do you need)? 

It varies. I started about a year and a half before my first application date, and clearly that didn't help lol. I know others who put it together in a few months. According to an ex-FPA, one thing the committee looks for is preparation, though, so classes regarding your country help. So do any extracurriculars that relate. I'd say the sooner you start the better of a chance you have--especially if you don't have a standing affiliation in the country you want to apply to. It took me about 2 months just to get a letter of affiliation because I picked someone very involved in research who also ran a department. It also takes time to edit (unless you're a great and fast editor). 

Edited by iDance

I would love to do the Fulbright research program one day. However, I will be starting my Ph.D. program this fall and after talking to the department they suggested the best time for me to participate would be after my 3rd year once core classes and comprehensive exams are out of the way. In the meantime I'll live vicariously through all of you going through the application process.

Best of luck to all of you this upcoming application cycle. 

26 minutes ago, iDance said:

It varies. I started about a year and a half before my first application date, and clearly that didn't help lol. I know others who put it together in a few months. According to an ex-FPA, one thing the committee looks for is preparation, though, so classes regarding your country help. So do any extracurriculars that relate. I'd say the sooner you start the better of a chance you have--especially if you don't have a standing affiliation in the country you want to apply to. It took me about 2 months just to get a letter of affiliation because I picked someone very involved in research who also ran a department. It also takes time to edit (unless you're a great and fast editor). 

And you can apply to any country? 

24 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

For a full list of countries, check Fulbright's website. There are some restrictions, but the majority of countries support the program. :) http://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/regions Some countries offer awards that vary from the usual general ETA or study/research, so check with ones you're interested in by going to their site (accessible through that link). I believe the national geographic storytelling one is being offered this year, which allows for 3 countries, but you'd have to make sure as I'm only going off what Embark (the online application system) says for that. 

Edited by iDance

36 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

The U.S. student program allows U.S. citizens to apply to study, research, or teach in many different countries. However, from your "location" it seems like you might be a Canadian citizen, in which case the Fulbright would be primarily for you to come study in the U.S. The Canada Fulbright Commission would have more information.

5 minutes ago, hj2012 said:

The U.S. student program allows U.S. citizens to apply to study, research, or teach in many different countries. However, from your "location" it seems like you might be a Canadian citizen, in which case the Fulbright would be primarily for you to come study in the U.S. The Canada Fulbright Commission would have more information.

Yes, I am Canadian. I am a francophone, so I don't know if my written English is good enough to pursue graduate studies in the US (English is my second language and I know that my english grammar is not good). At my current university, I can hand in any graded paper or exam in French.  

28 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Yes, I am Canadian. I am a francophone, so I don't know if my written English is good enough to pursue graduate studies in the US (English is my second language and I know that my english grammar is not good). At my current university, I can hand in any graded paper or exam in French.  

Short answer is since you are Canadian the side of Fulbright that brings you to the US is the one you can apply for. The side that sends Americans out to the rest of the world is specifically for US Citizens. 

Hi all. First of all, good luck to everyone! Secondly, I have a question that perhaps one of you might be able to answer. I'm entering a (history) master's program in the fall with plans to apply to PhD programs after two years. Is it worth trying to get a Fulbright at this point (perhaps for thesis research)? Or should I wait until I'm in a PhD program? 

2 hours ago, Gotya64 said:

Hi all. First of all, good luck to everyone! Secondly, I have a question that perhaps one of you might be able to answer. I'm entering a (history) master's program in the fall with plans to apply to PhD programs after two years. Is it worth trying to get a Fulbright at this point (perhaps for thesis research)? Or should I wait until I'm in a PhD program? 

I'm in a similar position (1st year MA student) and had similar questions as I decided which grants to apply to. This is how I thought about it, ymmv: while a PhD candidate may be more competitive for a Fulbright and I will most likely want to spend a year abroad for research during my PhD, I really can't predict the future -- grant availability, program location, research location, etc. could all shift. I might as well apply now, in addition to other grants (I would definitely look to see what other funds are available for the type and location of research you're interested in at your institution and in your field), and see what happens. In any case, having experience in preparing an application will be helpful in the future if I don't get a Fulbright this season, and in preparing other grant applications for this application season. I have no idea if seasoned Fulbright applicants would second this, but as I tried to make sense of my own applications for this year, this was how I rationalized my decision.

21 hours ago, savay said:

I'm in a similar position (1st year MA student) and had similar questions as I decided which grants to apply to. This is how I thought about it, ymmv: while a PhD candidate may be more competitive for a Fulbright and I will most likely want to spend a year abroad for research during my PhD, I really can't predict the future -- grant availability, program location, research location, etc. could all shift. I might as well apply now, in addition to other grants (I would definitely look to see what other funds are available for the type and location of research you're interested in at your institution and in your field), and see what happens. In any case, having experience in preparing an application will be helpful in the future if I don't get a Fulbright this season, and in preparing other grant applications for this application season. I have no idea if seasoned Fulbright applicants would second this, but as I tried to make sense of my own applications for this year, this was how I rationalized my decision.

I was a first-time applicant for the 2017-2018 application season and began writing my statement in February 2016. Prior to that, I had already established contacts for institutional affiliation. So by the time May arrived, I was on my second draft already. I think the best process is to know what you can do to kick yourself in the ass to produce a solid, clear and convincing statement. My writing generally has lots of inactivity, so starting early was my best decision. I also attended my Uni's Fulbright info session and met with the Fulbright advisor with my second draft once. That helped build a familiar rapport where I took critiques less personally during the internal submission process. That said, I am a PhD candidate already, and I'll honestly say I don't know the competition statistics and whether x, y or z person's given more weight for research scholarships. We may be more competitve, but I'd assume we're competing with each other more than a recent BA or MA. I'd love to see the figures, though - it could be different. The application process most certainly contributed to clearer proposal writing and I found it invaluable, personally rewarding and it probably helped my other successful applications. Good luck to everyone this 2018-2019 season. Don't let things hold you back unless you must - I'm definitely going to stand out in my host country for lots of identity reasons but this is an experience worth having!

Hello everyone, I am a 2017-2018 applicant awardee for Colombia, Westerm Hemisphere (Research Student Grant), if any of you need help, please don't hesitate in sending me a message. I applied twice before getting it this year (first time was for the 2014-2015 cycle). Please feel free to message me if you have any questions or concerns, I would love to help anyone here!

9 hours ago, Herbie said:

I was a first-time applicant for the 2017-2018 application season and began writing my statement in February 2016. Prior to that, I had already established contacts for institutional affiliation. So by the time May arrived, I was on my second draft already. I think the best process is to know what you can do to kick yourself in the ass to produce a solid, clear and convincing statement. My writing generally has lots of inactivity, so starting early was my best decision. I also attended my Uni's Fulbright info session and met with the Fulbright advisor with my second draft once. That helped build a familiar rapport where I took critiques less personally during the internal submission process. That said, I am a PhD candidate already, and I'll honestly say I don't know the competition statistics and whether x, y or z person's given more weight for research scholarships. We may be more competitve, but I'd assume we're competing with each other more than a recent BA or MA. I'd love to see the figures, though - it could be different. The application process most certainly contributed to clearer proposal writing and I found it invaluable, personally rewarding and it probably helped my other successful applications. Good luck to everyone this 2018-2019 season. Don't let things hold you back unless you must - I'm definitely going to stand out in my host country for lots of identity reasons but this is an experience worth having!

The way my fulbright advisor made it seem was as if everyone is judged against one another regardless of background. It's what made it that much harder applying as a soon to be BA candidate because I had to complete against PhDs who likely had an ongoing project and or thesis that the Fulbright could contribute to. 

It's not impossible tho?