Fulbright 2018-2019

AnnMarie

20 minutes ago, cag321 said:

I applied for this round (2018-2019) so I'm not sure! I'm just basing it on the research I've done on Google (ha!). I assume it would be in English, although perhaps they also test your foreign language capabilities (based on what you put in your proposal). 

I have searched on google and cannot find anything about the Luxembourg Fulbright process. I also just spoke to someone from the Fulbright commission but they were unable to give me a clear answer. I was told that it should be listed under the country description on the Fulbright website as to whether the country requires an interview; however, interviews were not listed for Luxembourg. 

I hope we are notified soon so I can be put out of my misery :(

1 hour ago, Maverick_88 said:

I have searched on google and cannot find anything about the Luxembourg Fulbright process. I also just spoke to someone from the Fulbright commission but they were unable to give me a clear answer. I was told that it should be listed under the country description on the Fulbright website as to whether the country requires an interview; however, interviews were not listed for Luxembourg. 

I hope we are notified soon so I can be put out of my misery :(

Same! For reference, this is what I found online (after serious sleuthing, lol!) that made me believe there will be an interview: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fulbrightbelgium/36426308054/ (zoom in on the second column in the photo). It says the Fulbright Commission in Brussels, but I believe this encompasses both Belgium/Luxembourg grants... But who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Really hope we hear soon!

18 hours ago, seanjb55 said:

I can't imagine it's a bad thing that they asked your Fulbright affiliate to rank your application -- at the same time, my guess is that they do that for all applicants. I get the feeling that your school has a strong input on who gets the Fulbright (it's my guess that if the school is trying to promote a certain department, they will lobby fulbright to select a candidate from that program, given there is an application for it and it is high quality.... could just be my own personal conspiracy though). 

Which school did you apply for? Have you been admitted? I am going to London School of Economics -- was already admitted last year but deferred. According to the statistics, LSE seems to have the most fulbright applicants 1/60ish two years ago and 1/48 before that.  Noticed some UK schools only have 4-5 applicants. 

I applied for Sheffield, which is a bit more competitive than some in the UK but not compared to LSE (kudos for that!), and yes, I have been admitted :) I think your theory makes sense - I guess what caught my interest in the email I got was that this prof was only shown 5 applications (all from different departments). I'm wondering if that means only 5 people applied to Sheffield this year. Seems like a small enough number for everyone to be a semifinalist, unless I just have no idea how things work. Which is a distinct possibility!

On 1/24/2018 at 12:23 PM, Caraluna said:

Hello all, 

I just want to let everyone know that Mexico has just sent out emails to let semi-finalists know about Skype interviews. I am thrilled to hear such great news and hope you all will also hear something soon! Whether or not you get it, just remember that it's an honor to simply apply! You'll end up right where you're supposed to be. Keep in mind that life has a funny way of surprising us and giving us opportunities when we least expect them. 

Best of luck!!! 

Semi-finalists for research? or ETA/binational internship? (or all?)

GUYS!! Just got a message from my FA: "Just saw a message from Fulbright 2 minutes ago. You should hear by END OF THE DAY TOMORROW!" I applied for Research Study to Greece, so not sure if that is for everyone or not.

UPDATE: All programs/countries should be announced by end of the day tomorrow!

Edited by princesslex

1 hour ago, gotmilk332 said:

Semi-finalists for research? or ETA/binational internship? (or all?)

I'm wondering the same thing! I applied for an ETA. My advisor told me to check my emails religiously, so it could be by the end of this week when ETAs for Mexico are notified. 

41 minutes ago, princesslex said:

GUYS!! Just got a message from my FA: "Just saw a message from Fulbright 2 minutes ago. You should hear by END OF THE DAY TOMORROW!" I applied for Research Study to Greece, so not sure if that is for everyone or not.

I also just got an email from my FPA confirming that Fulbright day is tomorrow!!! 

1 hour ago, princesslex said:

Although I applied "At-Large", I've remained in contact with the FPA at my alma mater. And, she too, confirmed that the day will be tomorrow :) .  

44 minutes ago, AshG said:

I'm wondering the same thing! I applied for an ETA. My advisor told me to check my emails religiously, so it could be by the end of this week when ETAs for Mexico are notified. 

My friend applied to Mexico for an ETA and she received an interview/semifinalist notification email from them yesterday around 11 AM. On the bright side, though, official notifications from the US side are out tomorrow!

So interesting that FPAs communicate with you guys--- maybe Michigan is too big of a school but I don't hear a peep from them outside of a generic email in early January with the 30th info!   I hope we all receive great news.

Friendly reminder that Fulbright is super competitive and the status of a proposal has NO bearing on your self worth. Many of us will have to apply multiple times to get to a semi-finalist round, and many more to get the award. You are smart! And resilient! And your ideas are worth pursuing. 

I say this as an artist and we get lots (LOOOOOOOTS) of "No Thank You's" every month. :) 

Edited by thepictureisstill

19 minutes ago, thepictureisstill said:

So interesting that FPAs communicate with you guys--- maybe Michigan is too big of a school but I don't hear a peep from them outside of a generic email in early January with the 30th info!   I hope we all receive great news.

Friendly reminder that Fulbright is super competitive and the status of a proposal has NO bearing on your self worth. Many of us will have to apply multiple times to get to a semi-finalist round, and many more to get the award. You are smart! And resilient! And your ideas are worth pursuing. 

I say this as an artist and we get lots (LOOOOOOOTS) of "No Thank You's" every month. :) 

I literally just made an account to "like" this post - I applied for a research grant last year to Guatemala and got the rejection email, but no one actually went because they didn't get funding, so try not to take it hard!!! Even though I cried for like 3 days hahahaha. GOOD LUCK ALL!!

3 minutes ago, heretofulbright said:

Also just making an account now. Based on previous posts, I guess your FPAs know whether or not you are semi-finalists!

Yes, they will know tomorrow morning!

My FPA told me: "FPAs don't know until tomorrow am, actually. We do not personally announce to applicants. We are notified just a hair in advance so that we can prepare to be supportive for those who may not advance, primarily. Also to start planning mock-interviews, getting recent country interview advice from colleagues, etc."

Hi! I've been following this feed for the past week--I think my anxiety just signed up for an account for me so that I could find comfort in participating haha.

I applied for a research/study Fulbright in Israel. Good luck everyone!! If you're like me then you'll definitely be popping a melatonin tonight. ;) 

I was on my way to a RPDR All Stars viewing party because I, like probably all of us, needed something to take my mind of off this thing -- and then as I was getting on the bus I severely sprained my ankle. So now I'm at home, with frozen vegetables for company, and nothing but time to anxiously google fulbrighter blogs and incessantly check embark/email/the spreadsheet. :(

tomorrow will get here soon, I hope

Edited by savay

2 hours ago, leannajoy said:

Hi! I've been following this feed for the past week--I think my anxiety just signed up for an account for me so that I could find comfort in participating haha.

I applied for a research/study Fulbright in Israel. Good luck everyone!! If you're like me then you'll definitely be popping a melatonin tonight. ;) 

Lol - yes, I'm have taken a backseat to my anxiety which also created this account and will be taking plentiful melatonin tonight.