Fulbright 2018-2019

AnnMarie

Hey everyone! I am very excited to finally get this application process going-- this is something that I have dreamt of applying to for a long time! I am a rising senior majoring in linguistics and Romance languages, and I plan to apply as an ETA to Romania.

Unfortunately, I just found out that my Fulbright advisor at my university no longer works there anymore (no one was notified about this, though...), so any help/advice/commiseration is welcomed haha. I think this will be a great source of information. Can't wait to hear about everyone's experiences with this process.

Best of luck to all!

Edited by hfy

Hello everyone

I'm planning on applying for a Fulbright grant for the third time. The first two attempts were for ETA positions in the Balkans. Now I have my sights set on a research grant in the UK. Does anyone have any experience applying for this particular grant? Any kind of testimonial or advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks 

12 hours ago, hfy said:

Hey everyone! I am very excited to finally get this application process going-- this is something that I have dreamt of applying to for a long time! I am a rising senior majoring in linguistics and Romance languages, and I plan to apply as an ETA to Romania.

Unfortunately, I just found out that my Fulbright advisor at my university no longer works there anymore (no one was notified about this, though...), so any help/advice/commiseration is welcomed haha. I think this will be a great source of information. Can't wait to hear about everyone's experiences with this process.

Best of luck to all!

Is your university in the process of naming a new Fulbright advisor?

11 hours ago, solaris said:

Hello everyone

I'm planning on applying for a Fulbright grant for the third time. The first two attempts were for ETA positions in the Balkans. Now I have my sights set on a research grant in the UK. Does anyone have any experience applying for this particular grant? Any kind of testimonial or advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks 

Are you applying for the open grant? Because all partnership awards are for study. The acceptance rate is very low (more so than other countries). I was a semi finalist so if you questions pm me.

I'm switching things up this year! Initially I had planned on reapplying to Bulgaria again or applying to Greece or Hungary for the first time. I am now leaning toward South Korea ETA after talking about it with my FPA today. 

On 7/19/2017 at 8:47 AM, catsbloom said:

Is your university in the process of naming a new Fulbright advisor?

I really hope so! I am sure they are, but I haven't received any information at all. I think it was all rather sudden...

Hey everyone! I am a Fulbright ETA to Indonesia who began my journey yesterday in Jakarta. I just launched my first blog that details my experience. Here is the link: theadventuresofmrahmad.wordpress.com

Don't forget to subscribe, like, comment, see photos of my adventure and provide feedback and suggestions. Also, do let me know what you want to hear about my experience! 
All the best in the application process. Please do reach out for questions!

Hey all,

Quick formatting question. I know last year they explicitly said the name/title/country cannot go in a header of a document. I do not see that same instruction for this year--has anyone heard anything about using headers on their SOP/PS?

Thanks in advance! 

Hi guys,

I am trying to put a research application together, and I have what I think is a strong proposal and I've made contact with a professor in my potential host country who seems very interested in my project. Any advice on how to pitch him to turn "very interested" into a solid letter of institutional affiliation? It just seems like such a big ask for someone I've only emailed with to offer to host me for a full year.

Thanks!

27 minutes ago, millicent.fen said:

Hi guys,

I am trying to put a research application together, and I have what I think is a strong proposal and I've made contact with a professor in my potential host country who seems very interested in my project. Any advice on how to pitch him to turn "very interested" into a solid letter of institutional affiliation? It just seems like such a big ask for someone I've only emailed with to offer to host me for a full year.

Thanks!

Things they should include:

1. What your work is
  2. Why it is exciting
  3. How it fits with their research
  4. What resources they can provide (office space, lab equipment, library access, etc.)
  5. Your plan for meeting

That'll help get you a strong letter.

On 7/25/2017 at 5:36 AM, iDance said:

Hey all,

Quick formatting question. I know last year they explicitly said the name/title/country cannot go in a header of a document. I do not see that same instruction for this year--has anyone heard anything about using headers on their SOP/PS?

Thanks in advance! 

hey i put the name/title/country in the header of both of my essays and I got in. I wont say to do it but it is at your own risk. 

Letter of Affiliation Question - What exactly area the responsibilities for the scholar who provides a letter of affiliation?

I am applying for the study/research grant, and I have been reaching out to scholars who have done research in my field of interest. However, I've been struggling to find guidelines on what exactly a Fulbright faculty sponsor does. Any tips/links to resources that provide more details?

Thank you everyone for your help! :)

32 minutes ago, adventurd said:

Letter of Affiliation Question - What exactly area the responsibilities for the scholar who provides a letter of affiliation?

I am applying for the study/research grant, and I have been reaching out to scholars who have done research in my field of interest. However, I've been struggling to find guidelines on what exactly a Fulbright faculty sponsor does. Any tips/links to resources that provide more details?

Thank you everyone for your help! :)

I found the Fulbright website to be pretty useful for this: "The affiliation letter should indicate the author’s willingness to work with you on the intended project and it should speak to the feasibility and validity of what is being proposed. The letter should also indicate any additional resources or contacts that the adviser can provide to support the work."

• 5 weeks later...

Hello! 

I am wondering if anyone else is having issues uploading their documents onto the IIE Programs site...

I thought it was my internet but it doesn't seem to be improving...

Any advice?

On 8/28/2017 at 3:35 PM, MOspina said:

Hello! 

I am wondering if anyone else is having issues uploading their documents onto the IIE Programs site...

I thought it was my internet but it doesn't seem to be improving...

Any advice?

Hey, MOspina.

I've been having problems with the new application system as well. As far as uploading your documents, check your compatibility with the computer you're using. I remember reading some instructions about how if you are working on a Mac, the documents you upload need to be converted to PDFs as the Microsoft Word might have problems.

Otherwise, has anyone who had an existing account from a previous application cycle had trouble accessing it again?

Hi @elit I apparently had a previous account that I forgot about and it showed up on the welcome screen maybe two weeks ago. I haven't tried to access it but for being a few years old it only just now showed up.

Also @iDance, i know your question is a bit old, but I also read somewhere that it can't be in the header but at the top of the document, so that's what I did. My advisor reviewed my statements recently and didn't tell me to change it. But maybe now it can be either way? I'd check with your advisor to be sure, or ask them about formatting when they review your docs.

My campus deadline is today and we have interviews on the 23rd. Has anybody gotten more info about campus interviews? I'm pretty sure they're mostly a formality, to practice interviewing your application and go over any areas that need to be revised or strengthened, but it'd be great if anybody who's done them/knows more about them would share.

Edited by savay

Thanks for your response.

I figured out my problem was that I was using the wrong browser. It turns out Chrome does not work as well for uploading as I.Explorer. 

I am SO frustrated at Embark.

It had me edit last year's unfinished application for the 2018-19 cycle, up until last week. Today (campus deadline), I cannot access any part of what I already filled in, and it tells me to start over under a new account.

I have been uploading eleven video clips (totaling 50-minutes) since 2pm and it is now 11pm. Around 10:30pm, it finally finished uploading and was in the process of converting, when it suddenly logged me out.

When I logged back in, I had to start the uploading all over again.

I was using Chrome on a Mac and also tried with Safari. I sat in front of my computer and did not let it go to sleep, yet Embark kept logging me out when the upload was almost over.

Edited by Stopthat

Hey all! Is anyone ready to peer read SoP and PS? I am an English Education major, skilled in being a writing consultant. I just need a new set of eyes with similar goals in mind who have an understanding of what Fulbright is looking for!!

Inbox please.

@savay Thanks! I've got it down to under the limit without the header, so hopefully it's not going to be an issue. But it's frustrating--I feel like the Fulbright site is a lot more of a pain to navigate this year than it was last year. Reading about everyone having issues uploading isn't making me feel great either, oy. FIngers crossed for everybody. I'm so behind this year--I feel like last year I was way better prepared by this point. 

Edited by iDance
I'm a derp who forgot half a sentence.

Hello All!!

I'm a first year applicant, who just decided to apply (/discovered the ETA program in general) 3 weeks ago. I am eager to get my application reviewed by my school committee. I only had 2 weeks to do everything including recommendations. I wish everyone applying for ETA and study/research good luck in this years application process!!

Edited by Samye23
forgot to put "decided to apply" haha fail

• 2 weeks later...

HAAALP! My videos for supplementary materials won't play.

They're MP4. Under 4GB. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm working on a mac from Safari. 

update: all videos are playing, though sporadically. the Embark system this round seems very unreliable. I'm going to check one last time and press submit. Wish me luck!

Edited by thepictureisstill