Fulbright 2018-2019

AnnMarie

On 12/19/2017 at 4:20 PM, lemoncurdle said:

Hi all,

Here is the link to last year's "Notification Dates by Grant Year" spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AlU2xDiiVhQjK3quPy6qXJuhgXYghzzG8L4YNT0unX0/edit?usp=sharing

I had it saved on my drive from 2016 or so.  Right now it's in View Only mode and it looks like we don't have access to editing, so I'll put in a request and see what happens.  Either way, it's helpful (and reassuring) information as the wait gets shorter!

I wonder if its possible/worth it to download the current spreadsheet and re-upload it to google drive and create a new link that we can edit.

38 minutes ago, Photogeographic said:

I wonder if its possible/worth it to download the current spreadsheet and re-upload it to google drive and create a new link that we can edit.

Created a new editable version. If creating this new doc is problematic please let me know I can delete/remove.  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Cd86U9AreH9k_-WKLKnLCLn_C5MC3FKvZZ9RhlqSAq4/edit?usp=sharing

Hi Fulbright applicants!

I was on this forum a ton last year- especially as the middle of January and then the middle of March approached! I wish you all good luck! I also wanted to share my blog about living as a Fulbright Fellow (student grant-independent researcher) in rural Hungary, because some of the personal blogs were so helpful to me last year. My blog is personal and doesn't go into politics or my research much. You can also message me and I am happy to answer questions, especially for those of you headed (or hoping to head) to Eastern/Central Europe and, especially, to Hungary. sarahstepsup.com is my blog

Happy waiting! The day is getting closer to the first round of notifications!

Sarah

I am betting we will hear back the week of the 15th based on the pervious notifications dates...maybe the Thursday or Friday?? but thats just my guess. Good luck to everyone and don't forget to add your info to the updated sheet: 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Cd86U9AreH9k_-WKLKnLCLn_C5MC3FKvZZ9RhlqSAq4/edit#gid=1535702113

1 hour ago, Photogeographic said:

I am betting we will hear back the week of the 15th based on the pervious notifications dates...maybe the Thursday or Friday?? but thats just my guess. Good luck to everyone and don't forget to add your info to the updated sheet: 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Cd86U9AreH9k_-WKLKnLCLn_C5MC3FKvZZ9RhlqSAq4/edit#gid=1535702113

Oh man I hope so...I feel like I'm going insane. (And also bothering everyone in my house complaining about the wait haha)

Just got an email from my advisor stating that IIE was going to be waiting until the end of January to announce all semi-finalists. No mid-January notifications this year ??.

9 hours ago, La noche boca arriba said:

By JANUARY 30???? I don’t think I can handle the wait any longer :mellow:! I was so expecting mid-Jan! 

They say that every year. Don't expect mid-Jan necessarily, but just because they say January 30th doesn't mean it's necessarily 30th. :)

10 minutes ago, imagata said:

So how do we interpret the list of NSC members? Do we get reviewed by the country we applied to or field or random?

I believe that our applications were reviewed by a subcommittee of 3 individuals from the regional committee that includes the country we applied to. For example, I applied for an ETA to the Czech Republic, so I think my application was reviewed by a subcommittee of 3 individuals from the "English Teaching Assistantship in Eastern Europe" committee. 

15 minutes ago, imagata said:

So how do we interpret the list of NSC members? Do we get reviewed by the country we applied to or field or random?

Thats a good question, I'm not totally sure. Someone posted this link last year and it kind of helped give an idea how things work http://gradfellows.gmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/Fulbright-Selection-Process.pdf  

Hey everyone! :D This thread seemed like too much fun, so I had to join in! I applied for a Fulbright open study award to Australia that would allow me to do my PhD. Wishing you all the best. It is so nerve-wracking to have had to wait for so many months haha, hoping for the best in the next few weeks! As for the latest possible statistics, 2016-17 is latest application cycle available and there's no statistics for 2017-18 up on the Fulbright website yet.

As we're all waiting for the notifications regarding semi-finalist status, what were some of the research projects you guys want to carry out in your applications? If you're an ETA, why'd you choose your particular country to apply to? :) 

Edited by Loujoelou

I happened to see someone comment this on a previous Fulbright 2016-2017 board. These were the dates that Fulbright applicants were notified during their application cycle:

2015: January 16th... I think it was a Friday ? 

2014:  Tuesday, January 28th 

2013: Friday, January 18th

2012: Thursday, January 19th

2011: Thursday, January 20th

2010: Friday, January 29th (Apparently they had issues that year with the Embark system going down)

2009: Friday, January 30th

Edited by Loujoelou

18 minutes ago, Loujoelou said:

Hey everyone! :D This thread seemed like too much fun, so I had to join in! I applied for a Fulbright open study award to Australia that would allow me to do my PhD. Wishing you all the best. It is so nerve-wracking to have had to wait for so many months haha, hoping for the best in the next few weeks! As for the latest possible statistics, 2016-17 is latest application cycle available and there's no statistics for 2017-18 up on the Fulbright website yet.

As we're all waiting for the notifications regarding semi-finalist status, what were some of the research projects you guys want to carry out in your applications? If you're an ETA, why'd you choose your particular country to apply to? :) 

I applied to New Zealand to research how tourism effects and/or improves cultural connections (ie. Maori culture)in country while getting my graduate/Masters degree.

Looking at what everyone else applied for mine sounds boring lol.

5 minutes ago, Loujoelou said:

I happened to see someone comment this on a previous Fulbright 2016-2017 board. These were the dates that Fulbright applicants were notified during their application cycle:

2015: January 16th... I think it was a Friday ? 

2014:  Tuesday, January 28th 

2013: Friday, January 18th

2012: Thursday, January 19th

2011: Thursday, January 20th

2010: Friday, January 29th (Apparently they had issues that year with the Embark system going down)

2009: Friday, January 30th

I know for last year they were notified on January 18th. But the advisors know as early as the day before we do.

2 minutes ago, jazzyab_45 said:

I applied to New Zealand to research how tourism effects and/or improves cultural connections (ie. Maori culture)in country while getting my graduate/Masters degree.

Looking at what everyone else applied for mine sounds boring lol.

So we can almost be next door neighbors if we both get the Fulbright haha :) . Haha, even though you say yours might be boring, I can certainly see the relevancy that can have in New Zealand. :) That sounds awesome! Wish you the best~ and ah! Interesting. I can't believe they make us wait for so long. My birthday is coming up on the 29th xD Sooo. let's hope that the notification is a good one lol, and hopefully we don't have to wait till the 30th.