Fulbright 2018-2019

AnnMarie

1 hour ago, Samye23 said:

Okay, survey sent!! It was so hard (maybe just for me, but hopefully not) to keep to the 5 sentence maximum. Especially for the lesson plan part, but that could be the teacher in me. I used to have to submit like 30 page lesson plans. I don't know how the rest of y'all Czech semi-finalists are feeling but I'm glad that's over with! Now back to the waiting game (but also I guess we never stopped since the US IIE hasn't told us anything)... Whew.

I haven't finished mine yet and am also having a lot of difficulty with the five sentence limit, especially since they state most of them should be only about two sentences (that seems nearly impossible). How are you supposed to keep a five step lesson plan to a five sentence total length?! I hope these answers will only help them get to know us better and give us a good fit rather than hurt, but it's still somewhat nerve-wracking sending them more material to scrutinize. 

4 minutes ago, fern_struck said:

so it's 5:42 EST here... no notification email yet - must mean definitely on Jan 30. Uhhhh 11 more days of waiting....

Couldn't it be any day next week though? I'm confused why everyone thinks if it's not today it must be the 30th (I might be missing something lol)

14 minutes ago, GraceHutt said:

Couldn't it be any day next week though? I'm confused why everyone thinks if it's not today it must be the 30th (I might be missing something lol)

Yes, I suppose you're right. So wait, that means I need to constantly check my email every moment of every weekday until we hear? Lol

On 1/11/2018 at 1:42 AM, Loujoelou said:

I happened to see someone comment this on a previous Fulbright 2016-2017 board. These were the dates that Fulbright applicants were notified during their application cycle:

2015: January 16th... I think it was a Friday ? 

2014:  Tuesday, January 28th 

2013: Friday, January 18th

2012: Thursday, January 19th

2011: Thursday, January 20th

2010: Friday, January 29th (Apparently they had issues that year with the Embark system going down)

2009: Friday, January 30th

Pulling this back up from earlier in the thread... if this is correct, looks like they only ever sent notifications on the 30th once. So FINGERS CROSSED that we hear sometime next week. The wait truly is agonizing! 

On 1/11/2018 at 8:30 AM, Photogeographic said:

Yeah, I am so curious to see when we actually find out because one of the PDF's on this page ....https://us.fulbrightonline.org/country-review-resources  It says we will be notified by Jan 30th. While normally they do usually always say we will hear back by Jan 31st as a general notification. When normally see with this PDF the actual date before we find out. Last year the 2017-2018 version of this page told us we would be notified by the 17th and we found out on the 18th. https://us.fulbrightonline.org/application-review-commissionpost  I wonder if in fact we will hear back right before or on the 30th. Hmmmmmmmmm 

This is one of the reasons why some people are thinking the 30th also two different people said on two different accounts they heard from their FPA's that there would be no mid-January notifications and would be the end of January. But who knows hopefully we will hear sooner.  

22 hours ago, graceaco said:

I haven't finished mine yet and am also having a lot of difficulty with the five sentence limit, especially since they state most of them should be only about two sentences (that seems nearly impossible). How are you supposed to keep a five step lesson plan to a five sentence total length?! I hope these answers will only help them get to know us better and give us a good fit rather than hurt, but it's still somewhat nerve-wracking sending them more material to scrutinize. 

Haha yeah it is basically impossible. I emailed back and asked how strict the limit was and they said it wasn't going to be like a violation to go over but that I SHOULD be able to answer in a few words...idk it was hard for me to cut back.

2 hours ago, Samye23 said:

Haha yeah it is basically impossible. I emailed back and asked how strict the limit was and they said it wasn't going to be like a violation to go over but that I SHOULD be able to answer in a few words...idk it was hard for me to cut back.

Man, I'm glad I read this. The 5 sentence lesson plan is impossible. Now that you've it isn't particularly a violation, I'm taking the L because I can't get it shorter than 8 sentences haha oh well

On 1/18/2018 at 4:46 PM, big_reader said:

Hi! My name is Noah. I am an ETA applicant applying to Spain. My grant's purpose is to help special needs children that have been pushed out of public school systems. What is everyone else going for??

My email is CONSTANTLY being refreshed. I don't think I can wait much longer!!!!

Congrats to Czech applicants who have already been given big hope for their applications!

I'm also applying for an ETA position in Spain! My purpose was focused more on authentic cultural exchange because I'm a Spanish teacher here in the US! That is such a neat idea! My community engagement part of my proposal focused on building job skills with the unemployed population to create positive change within my community. Best of luck to you through this process! I hope we both get it! 

1 hour ago, Painter18 said:

Man, I'm glad I read this. The 5 sentence lesson plan is impossible. Now that you've it isn't particularly a violation, I'm taking the L because I can't get it shorter than 8 sentences haha oh well

haha I'm happy to help. I had 5 sentences for each section of the lesson plan component when I emailed them...I got it down to like 7 sentences total...idk how they would comprehend a complete lesson plan with such few words...but oh well it's done haha now the wait continues!

On 1/11/2018 at 1:22 AM, Loujoelou said:

Hey everyone! :D This thread seemed like too much fun, so I had to join in! I applied for a Fulbright open study award to Australia that would allow me to do my PhD. Wishing you all the best. It is so nerve-wracking to have had to wait for so many months haha, hoping for the best in the next few weeks! As for the latest possible statistics, 2016-17 is latest application cycle available and there's no statistics for 2017-18 up on the Fulbright website yet.

As we're all waiting for the notifications regarding semi-finalist status, what were some of the research projects you guys want to carry out in your applications? If you're an ETA, why'd you choose your particular country to apply to? :) 

Hey! I applied for an ETA in Spain because I'm a Spanish teacher and want to experience Spanish culture first hand to share with my students in the US and I also just think working in a foreign school system would be a great way to expand my teaching portfolio and learn new techniques to use in my classroom at home. My community involvement project proposal focused around working with the unemployed population in Spain to build job skills and maybe teach English to adults to help them become more marketable in a global economy. 

Hey All!

ETA applicant to Sri Lanka here. I hate being on my phone period but this waiting game has me on it 24/7. Does anyone know the percentage of folks that get selected from semi-finalist status to finalist? 

Also, Czech ETAs. Could anyone post the email that you received with the subject heading too? Trying to vicariously feel just as good as you all must feel. Congrats!

12 hours ago, FulbrightFool said:

Hey All!

ETA applicant to Sri Lanka here. I hate being on my phone period but this waiting game has me on it 24/7. Does anyone know the percentage of folks that get selected from semi-finalist status to finalist? 

Also, Czech ETAs. Could anyone post the email that you received with the subject heading too? Trying to vicariously feel just as good as you all must feel. Congrats!

I have been told that half of the applicants selected as semi-finalists will be selected as finalists. 

Hi all,

Like most of you, I'm going mad waiting for news, especially given the government shutdown.

I applied for a Research grant to Spain. I only see 2 others in the spreadsheet in that category...where y'all at? I'd love to hear from you what your proposals are about!

A second question - anyone know where we can find updated statistics on the number of grants from the past year? The Fulbright website's most recent data is from the 2016-7 cycle. :wacko:

Best of luck to all, and hang in there!

Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 4.41.29 PM.png

3 hours ago, ellevine said:

Hi all,

Like most of you, I'm going mad waiting for news, especially given the government shutdown.

I applied for a Research grant to Spain. I only see 2 others in the spreadsheet in that category...where y'all at? I'd love to hear from you what your proposals are about!

A second question - anyone know where we can find updated statistics on the number of grants from the past year? The Fulbright website's most recent data is from the 2016-7 cycle. :wacko:

Best of luck to all, and hang in there!

Hi! I also applied to a research grant in Spain! My project is looking at differences in parenting styles among Spanish, Hispanic/latino (US) families, and American families and the way they impact youth anxiety treatment outcomes. Working with someone in Jaen (hopefully) and comparing the data to be collected during an RCT to be compared to data that's currently being collected in my lab in the US. Cannot take the wait any longer lol I'm getting super restless

On 1/20/2018 at 6:32 PM, FulbrightFool said:

Hey All!

Questionnaire For ETA Semi-Finalists -> this was  the subject of the email

"Dear ETA Semi-Finalist,

We are very happy that you applied to be an English Teaching Assistant in the Czech Republic in the following academic year. This year, our Commission decided to introduce a country-specific questionnaire for all semifinalists to get to know how you would act in the shoes of an English Teaching Assistant in the Czech Republic."

^^^ Was the first part of the email; only relevant part to share. It was pretty straightforward, but ultra exciting nonetheless. Hopefully there's no rule against me sharing but yeah that sums it up :) I really hope everyone else hears back ASAP (and that us Czech people hear officially from the US soon)!

Also, From the Fulbright website:

What is the ratio of semi-finalists to grants given in each country? 
The National Screening Committees typically recommend 1.5-2 times the number of candidates as there are grants available for a particular award.

Edited by Samye23

I’ve always heard (I think from former Fulbrighters from my university) about the National Screening Committee reccommending about 2x as many candidates as there are grants, but I’ve never actually seen anything from Fulbright stating such. Can anyone point me towards a website or something that says this?

Edit: I’m dumb and can’t read the reply literally directly above mine. Disregard me lol. 

Edited by greskkunst

3 minutes ago, greskkunst said:

I’ve always heard (I think from former Fulbrighters from my university) about the National Screening Committee reccommending about 2x as many candidates as there are grants, but I’ve never actually seen anything from Fulbright stating such. Can anyone point me towards a website or something that says this?

https://us.fulbrightonline.org/information-for-recommended-candidates  This is where the mentioned quote came from in the post above. 

16 hours ago, starburst said:

Hi! I also applied to a research grant in Spain! My project is looking at differences in parenting styles among Spanish, Hispanic/latino (US) families, and American families and the way they impact youth anxiety treatment outcomes. Working with someone in Jaen (hopefully) and comparing the data to be collected during an RCT to be compared to data that's currently being collected in my lab in the US. Cannot take the wait any longer lol I'm getting super restless

That sounds fascinating! Good luck!

6 minutes ago, graceaco said:

Any other Czech semi-finalists get a confirmation that their questionnaire was received? It's probably stupid but I'm paranoid my email didn't go through for whatever reason

I got an email saying thank you for submitting and that they would be in touch later. I got it at 6:48am CST (7:48am EST) today (1/22/18)

Edited by Samye23
added date