Hello Friends, 

As this academic year is coming to a close, and MPH applications will be opening in just 6ish (months depending on where you're applying to of course!), I thought a thread for us to discuss, share our thoughts, feelings, fears, and the trials and tribulations of MPH applications would be helpful. I also find it helpful to know who's applying where I'm excited to start this journey and I'm hoping we all see acceptance letters/emails in under a year! 

Schools/programs I plan to apply to: 

UBC MPH

UBC MSc in PPH (still need to start looking for a supervisor, how soon is too soon?)

SFU MPH 

• 2 months later...

Hello ,

I am an international applicant from India with a bachelor's degree and 2 years of research experience.

I will be applying for 2018 MPH programs in Canada.

It will be really helpful if some one can help me knowing about the the admission requirement (which most of the universities require) :at least one undergraduate statistics course .

We didn't had any such course at UG level.

From where to get this?

Thank you

On 7/6/2017 at 7:02 PM, dentistdoc said:

Hello ,

I am an international applicant from India with a bachelor's degree and 2 years of research experience.

I will be applying for 2018 MPH programs in Canada.

It will be really helpful if some one can help me knowing about the the admission requirement (which most of the universities require) :at least one undergraduate statistics course .

We didn't had any such course at UG level.

From where to get this?

Thank you

I know that most schools require you have your undergraduate degree, submit a letter of intent, and 2-3 references who can speak to your academic ability. Most require a stats course that you took during your undergraduate degree but most have to be approved by the school so you may want to ask the schools that you're applying to. Becuase you're an international applicant you may also be required to write the GRE. 

Hi !

I have been trying to look for online courses that would fulfil the calculus requirements of the schools but with no success. Can anyone please help me by suggesting any, if available ?

The universities recommend courses which they teach but unfortunately i cannot attend them since I'm an international applicant. If anyone has any idea what i can do to earn those course requirement, please help.

On 4/9/2017 at 6:49 PM, jenniferkp said:

Hello Friends, 

As this academic year is coming to a close, and MPH applications will be opening in just 6ish (months depending on where you're applying to of course!), I thought a thread for us to discuss, share our thoughts, feelings, fears, and the trials and tribulations of MPH applications would be helpful. I also find it helpful to know who's applying where I'm excited to start this journey and I'm hoping we all see acceptance letters/emails in under a year! 

UBC MPH

UBC MSc in PPH (still need to start looking for a supervisor, how soon is too soon?)

SFU MPH 

Hi!

I am so happy you started this thread. I am applying to the following schools for 2018:

UBC MSN/MPH

UVIC MPH

SFU MPH

What is the major difference between the MPH and the MSc PPH at UBC? Seems the MSc is more data driven? Not sure. 

I have a BSN but only worked clinically for 2 months before starting fulltime as a research assistant through uvic. I also have side gigs writting curriculum for nurses as well. Hoping that my experience this year helps with my admissions. I didn't get in last year but after one year of extra experience, my CV has changed drastically and is more research orientated. What is your area of interest?

Excited!

Hi everyone,

I am applying to Lakehead mph and Waterloo mph. 

Does anybody has any info about lakehead mph? Which mph program is more recognized Lakehead or Waterloo?

Thanks

On 7/9/2017 at 6:31 AM, jenniferkp said:

I know that most schools require you have your undergraduate degree, submit a letter of intent, and 2-3 references who can speak to your academic ability. Most require a stats course that you took during your undergraduate degree but most have to be approved by the school so you may want to ask the schools that you're applying to. Becuase you're an international applicant you may also be required to write the GRE. 

Thank you.....i will definitely try contacting the schools.

On 2017-7-12 at 1:19 PM, AspiringDove said:

Hi !

I have been trying to look for online courses that would fulfil the calculus requirements of the schools but with no success. Can anyone please help me by suggesting any, if available ?

The universities recommend courses which they teach but unfortunately i cannot attend them since I'm an international applicant. If anyone has any idea what i can do to earn those course requirement, please help.

Hi,

There are several online courses offered by Athabasca university. You can check their statistics courses and email the university you want to apply to ask them if it would meet their requirements

• 2 weeks later...

Hi friends! 

I have the intention of applying for MPH in UBC but really need scholarship for the program. How do I get funding grants? 

10 hours ago, Eche said:

Hi friends! 

I have the intention of applying for MPH in UBC but really need scholarship for the program. How do I get funding grants? 

I second this inquiry. This may sound like a stupid question, but how (and where) can you apply for funding/bursaries/scholarships ahead of the program? Or are you automatically considered for one upon entry to certain programs? I have always wondered this.

Hello future MPH buddies! I'll also be applying to MPH programs this fall/winter, and I think I have my choices narrowed to UBC (MPH), SFU (Population health science), UofA (Health promotion or health policy/management), and UofT (Health Promotion, possibly with a Collaborative Specialization in Community Development or Public Health Policy). 

As for funding, from my research I gather that it is possible to attain if your MPH has a significant research component (i.e. through the capstone project or the equivalent written paper component), such as through the Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master's Program ($17,500 for 12 months). 

One also may be able to get funding during the practicum, depending on where you go. In terms of the schools I'm interested in, I know that UofT has a paid practicum (recommend stipend of $10,000… which is obviously attractive). For UBC particularly, their website states one can apply for up to $2500 in needs-based funding during the practicum (not sure the success rate of getting this though).

Many programs also offer merit-based entrance scholarships (which I believe you are automatically considered for… though double-check guidelines online), and some of these awards are contingent on receiving a competing award from another school (i.e. SFU Special Graduate Entrance Scholarship). 

It drives me crazy that all the funding and tuition info can't all be found in one place on these universities' respective websites… seems you have to go all over the place to find out! Does anyone have any interesting info on funding, tuition or pretty much anything else for UBC, SFU, UofA or UofT?

On 8/8/2017 at 3:29 PM, vancouverrunner said:

I second this inquiry. This may sound like a stupid question, but how (and where) can you apply for funding/bursaries/scholarships ahead of the program? Or are you automatically considered for one upon entry to certain programs? I have always wondered this.

You and I are in similar positions in regards to our background and where we're applying! Do you mind if I ask where you applied last year? The MSc in PPH is more research oriented as opposed to practical. You have to complete a thesis/ research project where as in the MPH it's just a practicum. I would say the MSc would be more appealing if you're intending on pursuing a career in research/ academia as opposed to practicing as a public health professional, however, the MPH wouldn't completely discount you. In regards to funding, with the MSc, you would require a supervisor so therefore you can see if the supervisor can provide any form of funding. Funding for the MPH is similar to that of your undergrad, scholarships that would be considered need or merit based etc. You can also look at funding options for the NSERC or through CIHR however, these are largely based on your research proposal. 

On 7/24/2017 at 0:16 PM, AniSabi said:

Hi everyone,

I am applying to Lakehead mph and Waterloo mph. 

Does anybody has any info about lakehead mph? Which mph program is more recognized Lakehead or Waterloo?

Thanks

I had a prof in my undergrad who did the Lakehead MPH and she loved it! She said it was a really diverse group of people from all over the world with a wide array of backgrounds. I think that would be challenging to navigate through though. I'm uncertain of Waterloo's program! 

On 8/10/2017 at 11:10 AM, emilywpg said:

Hello future MPH buddies! I'll also be applying to MPH programs this fall/winter, and I think I have my choices narrowed to UBC (MPH), SFU (Population health science), UofA (Health promotion or health policy/management), and UofT (Health Promotion, possibly with a Collaborative Specialization in Community Development or Public Health Policy). 

As for funding, from my research I gather that it is possible to attain if your MPH has a significant research component (i.e. through the capstone project or the equivalent written paper component), such as through the Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master's Program ($17,500 for 12 months). 

One also may be able to get funding during the practicum, depending on where you go. In terms of the schools I'm interested in, I know that UofT has a paid practicum (recommend stipend of $10,000… which is obviously attractive). For UBC particularly, their website states one can apply for up to $2500 in needs-based funding during the practicum (not sure the success rate of getting this though).

Many programs also offer merit-based entrance scholarships (which I believe you are automatically considered for… though double-check guidelines online), and some of these awards are contingent on receiving a competing award from another school (i.e. SFU Special Graduate Entrance Scholarship). 

It drives me crazy that all the funding and tuition info can't all be found in one place on these universities' respective websites… seems you have to go all over the place to find out! Does anyone have any interesting info on funding, tuition or pretty much anything else for UBC, SFU, UofA or UofT?

I know UBC is a huge proponent of the practicum's being paid if this can be arranged with the agency that you're doing your practicum with. So I think that $2500 is largely there for students who don't get paid for their practicum work. $2500 is nothing though sadly especially if you stay in Vancouver! 

On 4/9/2017 at 6:49 PM, jenniferkp said:

Hello Friends, 

UBC MPH

SFU MPH 

Hi there! 

My suggestion for you is to just ask during early Fall (at least, if you know for sure which supervisor you will want to ask). Doesn't hurt to ask right now, but because it is August there is a good chance they are away for vacation and your email will just get piled up in their inbox. Always best to ask early. While it's not entirely first come first serve when it comes to finding supervisors (since you have to have the profile to be admitted to the program), if you are a good candidate then you'll get a sense from the supervisor that the partnership can happen. In this case, this prof may actually start declining other students later on that ask if the prof is taking on any students. 

You should make sure to ask for the contact info of the supervisor's current students so that you can ask them about what it's like working under him/her. Since you are applying to other programs, I am assuming there will be a chance you may not go for the MSc program even if you're accepted. If you end up going to a different program, always make sure to let the supervisor know as early as you can! Since they will have to find a replacement student. I found it difficult to have to tell them that I will not be attending after having sort of an implied understanding that I will be coming, but they will understand! 

For me, I originally thought I was going to do an MSc in Epi at Guelph, Then the UW MSc program became my top choice, and I told the Guelph prof that I will no longer be coming. And then finally, I made the decision to go to U of T MPH Epi instead (now will enter second year), so had to tell the UW prof I changed my mind. I obviously felt terrible and was super apologetic, but I was very touched by how understanding the profs were. But at the very least make sure to let them know as soon as you can and be respectful! 

On 8/10/2017 at 10:10 AM, emilywpg said:

Hiya! 

Current MPH Epi student at U of T, entering second year. MPH programs usually aren't very well funded, in comparison to MSc programs that are generally covered (most or all) by the department for at least the first year. It is true that U of T's MPH programs are eligible for CIHR CGS-M. I actually won this! :D But I admit that it is not common for MPH students to win this award. U of T also offers other smaller scholarships/bursaries/grants to make the program more affordable. We also have two practicum placements (one required, another optional), and at least for epi students the pay was pretty good. 

You're right that funding info is usually all over the place. It drove me crazy too! But I certainly took the time to make sure I found all the possible things I was eligible for that I could apply to. If you have more questions about funding at U of T, send me a message and I'd be glad to help! 

Edited by And1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2017 at 9:38 AM, jenniferkp said:

You and I are in similar positions in regards to our background and where we're applying! Do you mind if I ask where you applied last year? The MSc in PPH is more research oriented as opposed to practical. You have to complete a thesis/ research project where as in the MPH it's just a practicum. I would say the MSc would be more appealing if you're intending on pursuing a career in research/ academia as opposed to practicing as a public health professional, however, the MPH wouldn't completely discount you. In regards to funding, with the MSc, you would require a supervisor so therefore you can see if the supervisor can provide any form of funding. Funding for the MPH is similar to that of your undergrad, scholarships that would be considered need or merit based etc. You can also look at funding options for the NSERC or through CIHR however, these are largely based on your research proposal. 

This is really interesting. I didnt know this re: MscPPH. I am more interested in academia/research prject in lieu of practicum. At the research institute I work at now, we have students come through on rotation- some good, some not so good. Last year I applied to UVIC/UBC. Both denied at both of them. I am not surprised. My letter of intent was weak and I was a new grad straight from nursing school, with little experience. This year I will be applying as having 2 years experience, one year as a research assistant on a big health canada project and a more straight forward goal. 

I am looking at the Canadian Graduate Scholarship now. May apply for that - looks like you can apply pre-acceptance or rather on condition of acceptance.

• 1 month later...

Hi All, I am a dentist from India and worked there for 2.5 years. After 7 years of gap, I want to start my career again through MPH programs. This seems a puzzled world for now. All internet information is scattered and it does not give clear direction. My educational assessment gives 3.29 GPA and my IELTS score stands at 7.0 .

I want to know if any of certification programs in public health from the local university, college or online will be helpful towards MPH. If it will be, then can I have a suggestion for that near Calgary area.

hi everyone, I have a few questions regarding admissions to MPH of epidemiology at U of T and hope someone can help me out.

1) Is the admission based on the final year of my full time undergrad studies? 

I noticed that on their site, it says "last 5 full course equivalents", does that mean 5 full credits? aka 2 full terms? 

2) I am planning to retake my stats course as i didnt do so well during my second year...will they replace my new mark? or should i just take an upper year level stats? 

3) It didn't mention in the site, so i was wondering, do we need to write any personal statements and are references necessary? if so, how many do we need?

thanks a lot guys! 

On 10/23/2017 at 1:48 PM, onetwothree123 said:

hi everyone, I have a few questions regarding admissions to MPH of epidemiology at U of T and hope someone can help me out.

I noticed that on their site, it says "last 5 full course equivalents", does that mean 5 full credits? aka 2 full terms? 

2) I am planning to retake my stats course as i didnt do so well during my second year...will they replace my new mark? or should i just take an upper year level stats? 

3) It didn't mention in the site, so i was wondering, do we need to write any personal statements and are references necessary? if so, how many do we need?

thanks a lot guys! 

I can only touch on #2. Most programs will take the higher grade you received in a class, so retake the class and get a higher mark, they'll take that. Better than 2 stats courses and the possibility of it decreasing your GPA and being detrimental to your application. 

On 10/23/2017 at 3:48 PM, onetwothree123 said:

thanks a lot guys! 

Hey, 

Look at this website for answers to your question 3 http://www.dlsph.utoronto.ca/students/future-students/application-process/application-instructions/

Letter of intent (personal statement) is required and the component of the letter depends on the program you apply to. Two letters of reference are also required.

Hope this helps.

Hi Everyone.

I'm looking to apply to University of Toronto's Public Health program for the Health Promotion stream. They say they need a minimum of a B to meet the statistics requirement. Would it be worthwhile to apply with my grade of a B that does meet their minimum requirement or take another class next semester but risk acceptance into the program? They do offer conditional acceptance, but I don't know how popular that offer is. 

On 10/23/2017 at 3:48 PM, onetwothree123 said:

At U of T*, a term-long (e.g. fall) course is 0.5 credits or called full course equivalents (FCEs). So yes, if you took 5 courses worth 0.5 credits (per course) each term, it would be your last two full terms from when you apply.

To determine my expected GPA, I looked at the end of my transcript for the courses that will have grades when I apply in January, and counted backgrounds up to 5 FCEs. I then plugged them in to this calculator: http://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/webapps/aacc-tools/GPA_calculator/index.cgi And I estimated my grades for the courses I'm currently enrolled in, to guess what my GPA would be for admission.

*I don't know if it works the same at other universities so I thought I'd explain. Hope that helps!

14 hours ago, goalsforgradschool said:

Hi Everyone.

I'm looking to apply to University of Toronto's Public Health program for the Health Promotion stream. They say they need a minimum of a B to meet the statistics requirement. Would it be worthwhile to apply with my grade of a B that does meet their minimum requirement or take another class next semester but risk acceptance into the program? They do offer conditional acceptance, but I don't know how popular that offer is. 

Hey, I'm also planning to apply to U of T's Dalla Lana MPH health promo stream. I attended the Dalla Lana open house last week and they talked a little about the stats requirement for health promo. From my notes on it, the B is a minimum but they like to see higher than that, and they look at the grade in the most advanced stats course you took. I'm assuming that means the grades you have when you apply, though. So if you have a B in a stats course that fulfills all the requirements (i.e. up to ANOVA and regression) when you apply, and you take another stats course in winter semester to get a better grade, I personally don't think they would do a conditional offer based on waiting for the 2nd grade, and I think they would just look at your first stats course (as long as it fulfills the requirements) and base your admission on that.  

That's just my assumptions on it though, so you should shoot them an email if you want to be sure.