Hi all,

I've been accepted to UBC MScPPH and UofT MPH in Epi, and having lots of trouble deciding! I know they're totally different programs- one's more research-based, and one's course-based and has a practicum. To be honest, I'm not sure whether I want to go into research or more policy stuff after graduation. Anyone have any insights?

On 4/10/2018 at 5:23 PM, AniSabi said:

Would you choose lakehead mph epi or mph waterloo? I like epi but not 100% sure on it. I like waterloo better than lakehead for sure but because mph lakehead has epi specialization and waterloo is general, I am so confused between the two programs. Any insight?

Thank you

Did you hear back from Lakehead yet?? I'm still patiently waiting

4 hours ago, taylormc said:

Did you hear back from Lakehead yet?? I'm still patiently waiting

Nope still waiting ?. I just wanted to decide incase I get in Lakehead epi and also because my waterloo deadline is approaching fast.

I emailed Lakehead last week and they said they give till july to hear decisions. And for sure I won't be hearing their decision in next few days. All the best to you too.

15 hours ago, sy19 said:

Hi all,

I've been accepted to UBC MScPPH and UofT MPH in Epi, and having lots of trouble deciding! I know they're totally different programs- one's more research-based, and one's course-based and has a practicum. To be honest, I'm not sure whether I want to go into research or more policy stuff after graduation. Anyone have any insights?

No insights (sorry) but I do wish I had your problems :D

2 hours ago, goalsforgradschool said:

Has anyone heard if McMaster is still sending out acceptances?

I don't know if they still are, I received my acceptance from the department on Tuesday but I am still waiting on the official letter from the school of graduate studies

5 hours ago, AniSabi said:

Nope still waiting ?. I just wanted to decide incase I get in Lakehead epi and also because my waterloo deadline is approaching fast.

I emailed Lakehead last week and they said they give till july to hear decisions. And for sure I won't be hearing their decision in next few days. All the best to you too.

Lakehead said they wont be sending more admissions decisions in the next few days? Jeez they seem late this year.. it's killing me.

13 minutes ago, Kmp96 said:

Lakehead said they wont be sending more admissions decisions in the next few days? Jeez they seem late this year.. it's killing me.

I emailed them last week asking the timeline for decisions because my deadline to accept the other offer is approaching. And this is what they replied: 

We have over 350 applications to review, therefore, the general timeline we give applicants to hear a decision is up to July.  I can tell you that you will notknow a decision within the next few days. 

I know they seem very late this year.

Which stream did you apply?

6 minutes ago, AniSabi said:

I emailed them last week asking the timeline for decisions because my deadline to accept the other offer is approaching. And this is what they replied: 

We have over 350 applications to review, therefore, the general timeline we give applicants to hear a decision is up to July.  I can tell you that you will notknow a decision within the next few days. 

wow that's insane. I knew they were slow, but not that slow. I applied for the indigenous and northern health stream

30 minutes ago, Kmp96 said:

wow that's insane. I knew they were slow, but not that slow. I applied for the indigenous and northern health stream

Someone on here said they had until April 19th to accept their Lakehead offer (Nursing), so maybe that is the time after which they will send out another round of offers?

32 minutes ago, sheisgreat said:

Yeah they said same to me, however when I emailed them they said mid-April to late April.

I am waitlisted there and my letter said they wanted top ranked applicants to respond by mid April and they intend to let waitlisted people know before the end of April. 

7 hours ago, AniSabi said:

They have sent out some admissions offers already. I received an acceptance about a month ago and had until April 9 to accept

1 hour ago, bailm16 said:

They have sent out some admissions offers already. I received an acceptance about a month ago and had until April 9 to accept

They told me they do rolling admissions, so they have sent out some but not all decisions. There's no fixed date when decisions will be released and they give time till July to hear a decision.

Congratulations on your offer. Which stream did you apply to? And did you accept your offer?

Edited by AniSabi

10 hours ago, Sonal01 said:

I just called U o A to enquire about the admission and they said the results will be out today and on Monday. 

Nothing heard as of now.. application status still showing pre screening....has anybody heard anything???????

On 2018-04-12 at 9:18 PM, sy19 said:

Hi all,

Congratulations on getting both offers.

I think you need to evaluate what part of research do you like? And what part of policy stuff do you like?

Read job descriptions for both jobs and try to imagine what do you most likely see yourself doing? Is your previous work/education experience more related to research or policy? What are you passionate about?

All the best ?

Hi,

I am new to this thread, but as I read through I found some great information.

I am a dentist, have done my Bachelors from India. I applied to UBC MPH/DPH (Diploma in Dental Public Health), Western's MPH, U of A MPH in Health Management, Lakehead's MPH in Epi  and SFU MPH in Population Health.

I received an offer from UBC and Western University last week. UBC has asked me to accept the offer by April 15th and pay the deposit by April 30th. So I accepted the offer at UBC, but still have doubts about the course. I want to be 100% sure about my decision before I pay the deposit.

Does anyone know more about the MPH/DPH program at UBC?

Do you get better jobs if you graduate from higher ranking universities in Canada ? The MPH/DPH course is very expensive and as an international student I have no idea about the job scenario and career prospects in the field of MPH in Canada and would really appreciate some insight.

Edited by Asthashah