Jump to content

Recommended Posts

University of Saskatchewan

Information derived from a USASK graduate stated that, one of the reasons why this school is superb as compared to the others is, U of S does not only focus on GPA as an admission requirement, but instead they are more concerned about your future plans and what you aim to use the MPH degree for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Applying to grad schools has made me appreciate weekends so much more. Weekends are such a reprieve from emails and grad school worries. Here is to another week of waiting  

Just received an offer for mph from waterloo ??

As excruciating as the pain is, it is still early in the game. It's March, and most decisions go until June. It's good to find healthy ways to process the information but we shouldn't let go just yet.

14 minutes ago, sheisgreat said:

From the little I researched on, SFU and U of S are the only schools in Canada that offer an MPH Thesis Option. Hence, if a student decides to pursue further education, they are at an advantage due to the research based experience they would acquire from the program.

Lakehead, UVic and McMaster also offer a thesis option. And probably others I don't know about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, carters09 said:

Lakehead, UVic and McMaster also offer a thesis option. And probably others I don't know about.

@sheisgreat

There are also many research-based MSc programs in public health. So that's another option for people interested in public health research. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SwagMaster said:

@sheisgreat

There are also many research-based MSc programs in public health. So that's another option for people interested in public health research. 

Even at UofT MPH, where it is a course-based program, you have the option of completing a research practicum and/or a research-based independent study course.  In my stream (Nutrition and Dietetics), I did a research practicum, and some of my class mates did a research-based independent study whereas one of them did both the research practicum and a research-based independent study course.

I also chose my electives to have a research focus (i.e. nutritional epi, statistics for nursing research despite not being a nurse).

I’ve currently been unofficially accepted to a PhD program, pending funding. So it is certainly possible to be accepted to PhD programs without completing a formal thesis.  Sometimes you have extra hoops to jump through (i.e. you have to show “extensive” research experience, or you have to have so many publications, etc.) but it is certainly possible.  At least in my stream (Nutrition and Dietetics) I know many individuals from past cohorts who went on to complete PhD studies in health, public health, nutrition, dietetics, or related fields, even though they lacked a thesis.

Edited by RunnerGrad
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sheisgreat said:

From the little I researched on, SFU and U of S are the only schools in Canada that offer an MPH Thesis Option. Hence, if a student decides to pursue further education, they are at an advantage due to the research based experience they would acquire from the program.

McMaster and Lakehead MPH also offer the option to do thesis.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, RunnerGrad said:

Even at UofT MPH, where it is a course-based program, you have the option of completing a research practicum and/or a research-based independent study course.  In my stream (Nutrition and Dietetics), I did a research practicum, and some of my class mates did a research-based independent study whereas one of them did both the research practicum and a research-based independent study course.

I also chose my electives to have a research focus (i.e. nutritional epi, statistics for nursing research despite not being a nurse).

I’ve currently been unofficially accepted to a PhD program, pending funding. So it is certainly possible to be accepted to PhD programs without completing a formal thesis.  Sometimes you have extra hoops to jump through (i.e. you have to show “extensive” research experience, or you have to have so many publications, etc.) but it is certainly possible.  At least in my stream (Nutrition and Dietetics) I know many individuals from past cohorts who went on to complete PhD studies in health, public health, nutrition, dietetics, or related fields, even though they lacked a thesis.

Thanks for the info.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sheisgreat said:

What schools is everyone waiting to hear from?

Me- USASK and UFT

I got accepted to McMaster! Waiting for the official acceptance letter. 

I haven't heard anything/no update from Queens or Guelph... assuming I am on waitlist :/

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been accepted to SFU Population Health and to McGill MScPH. I’ve currently accepted both offers but if I’m accepted off the UBC MPH waitlist I will likely choose to accept it and then withdraw from my other offers. If I don’t get into UBC I guess I’ll decide between moving out east, or attending SFU. Personally I think the program at SFU looks amazing but having done my undergrad there I would prefer a change of scenery.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, goalsforgradschool said:

Hi! I emailed them myself and they let me know that I'm waitlisted. They didn't give me a rank :( 

They didn't give me a rank too and said they are not sending out any offers for now. Don't know when to expect to hear back from them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2017 at 12:53 AM, ChelMPH said:

Hi I am from Winnipeg, and did my BS in exercise science in Minnesota. So far I have applied to U of A, U of S, University of Waterloo and University of Manitoba. U of A is my top school. I am so nervous about getting in, I have submitted all my apps already I guess it is time to play the waiting game. Does anyone know the earliest they send out acceptance/declined letters for any of the schools I listed?

Also did anyone apply for the University of Manitoba? They have a 3 year work experience requirement which I find unusual seeing a lot of others schools do not have this, but do prefer work experience. I still applied to try my luck. Good luck to everyone applying and I hope to hear back soon! Also good luck with the application process because that was a stressful time getting all of those done!

Thanks friends!!

Hi. Please have you got offer letter from Uof S for Fall 2018

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2018 at 8:46 AM, Sonal01 said:

Has anyone started getting the admission results for MPH 2018? 

Anxiously waiting for results from U o A, univ of Saskatchewan and sfu

Hi. Please have you got offer letter from Univ of Saskatchewan for fall 2018. My status still says complete ready for review

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.