Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Applying to grad schools has made me appreciate weekends so much more. Weekends are such a reprieve from emails and grad school worries. Here is to another week of waiting  

Just received an offer for mph from waterloo ??

As excruciating as the pain is, it is still early in the game. It's March, and most decisions go until June. It's good to find healthy ways to process the information but we shouldn't let go just yet.

On 5/15/2018 at 4:54 AM, Healthpromotion said:

 

I am also still waiting on the u of a waitlist!! Does anyone know what's taking so dang long? They said that I would know by the end of April, lol

Hi, which waitlist are you in? A or B?

I am in the B list but I would like to know is there any A list for the waiting list? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2018 at 6:37 PM, goalsforgradschool said:

 

Hi all,

Has anybody heard anything from Queen's MPH? I know yesterday (May 17th) was the deadline for people who got 3rd round offers to make a decision, I was wondering if anybody got any further offers or ranked waitlist.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daisies18 said:

Hi all,

Has anybody heard anything from Queen's MPH? I know yesterday (May 17th) was the deadline for people who got 3rd round offers to make a decision, I was wondering if anybody got any further offers or ranked waitlist.

I emailed them yesterday and they replied that currently they have reached the required number of students. Also that in the past they have made offers right into july/late August due to applicants changing their minds.  And that they will keep me informed if any spot opens up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, has everyone heard from USask already? They said all applicants would be notified by May 18, 2018. I still haven't heard from them and my status still says "complete ready for review". I don't know what to think at this point. Is it a rejection and they just forgot about me?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gradstudiesmphcan said:

Hi, has everyone heard from USask already? They said all applicants would be notified by May 18, 2018. I still haven't heard from them and my status still says "complete ready for review". I don't know what to think at this point. Is it a rejection and they just forgot about me?

Hello

Call them on Tuesday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2018 at 2:21 PM, HRAEMPH said:

Anyone else planning to attend U of A in the fall? It would be good to connect with others -- I will be moving up there in August, so also looking for potential roommates!

Hey I am planning on attending U of A in the Fall! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I am planning on applying next year for MPH. Got really anxious after reading through this thread so I was hoping if anyone here could give me an idea of what they think about my profile:

 

cGPA: Around 3.0 (very low I know but I flopped the first two years)

Major GPA: Not sure yet, as I am completing another two terms, but in my 3rd year I had a 3.75. Hoping to finish up with 3.8 for my last two year GPA.

 

Extracurriculars:

- Recently started working on a research project which deals with public health. Looking at possibly publishing a paper sometime this year, I will be 2nd or 3rd author so maybe it won't be as significant.

- Hospital Volunteering for a year.

- Vice President of Volunteering Club (3 years in total as an executive member), where I volunteered in many events such as the Toronto Humane Society, Yonge St Mission, etc, Salvation Army, Soup Kitchens, etc.

- Part of Student Association for my major at the University for 2 years, helping to organize conferences and research seminars.

- Other irrelevant stuff: Paid Language Assistant at University for a year/ helped to spearhead & coordinate a Foreign Language teaching program at the University since its beginning and for 3 years afterwards/ pharmacy assistant for a year and a half.

 

I feel like my extracurriculars are all over the place without a specific goal in mind. What would you suggest to strengthen my application?

After looking at all the amazing profiles on this thread, I just feel really insecure about my own.

 

Hoping to get into SFU MPH!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2018 at 11:47 PM, mphvic said:

Anyone going to UofT in the fall? I’m in search of a roommate!!

I am starting the MPH Epi program at U of T this fall and also in search of a roommate! 

Edited by zmph2018
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, NokchaMatcha said:

Hi, I am planning on applying next year for MPH. Got really anxious after reading through this thread so I was hoping if anyone here could give me an idea of what they think about my profile:

 

cGPA: Around 3.0 (very low I know but I flopped the first two years)

Major GPA: Not sure yet, as I am completing another two terms, but in my 3rd year I had a 3.75. Hoping to finish up with 3.8 for my last two year GPA.

 

Extracurriculars:

- Recently started working on a research project which deals with public health. Looking at possibly publishing a paper sometime this year, I will be 2nd or 3rd author so maybe it won't be as significant.

- Hospital Volunteering for a year.

- Vice President of Volunteering Club (3 years in total as an executive member), where I volunteered in many events such as the Toronto Humane Society, Yonge St Mission, etc, Salvation Army, Soup Kitchens, etc.

- Part of Student Association for my major at the University for 2 years, helping to organize conferences and research seminars.

- Other irrelevant stuff: Paid Language Assistant at University for a year/ helped to spearhead & coordinate a Foreign Language teaching program at the University since its beginning and for 3 years afterwards/ pharmacy assistant for a year and a half.

 

I feel like my extracurriculars are all over the place without a specific goal in mind. What would you suggest to strengthen my application?

After looking at all the amazing profiles on this thread, I just feel really insecure about my own.

 

Hoping to get into SFU MPH!

 

Your cGPA is very low for an MPH, but as long as it's above the cutoff (which is usually a 3.0), then it's the last 2 year GPA that's the most important (which usually has a minimum requirement of 3.3).

 

You ECs sound great. Even if you're the 15th author on a paper, that is absolutely significant. My 4th year research advisor told me it is extremely rare for undergrads to have anything published. So if you don't have a publication, it won't hurt you. But having a publication, even if you're the very last author, will 100% help you.

Your experiences are all related to health sciences or public health, which is fantastic. You also have research experience, which is also great. When you write your statement of purpose, you can always emphasize certain aspects of your experiences to show a direction that you're interested in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got "admitted conditionally" to University of Guelph. That's my status on webadvisor. I have not received any email. What does this mean? I finished my degree last year. I do have one course that I have yet to complete, but it was not part of my degree and not required by the school (I took it because I briefly considered another program which I needed it for but then decided against it.... but might as well finish the course). I hope the condition isn't that I get an 80 in the course because that definitely won't happen. Now I regret taking this course :/

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so annoyed with Usask right now. First of all, there isn't even a phone number for the school of public health so I called grad studies and they said to wait one more day as it was before a long weekend. When you put it in your email that you'll notify by May 18, everyone should have already heard by then. This is so disappointing. At least let us know so that we can move on...I feel like my life is on hold because of this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gradstudiesmphcan said:

I'm so annoyed with Usask right now. First of all, there isn't even a phone number for the school of public health so I called grad studies and they said to wait one more day as it was before a long weekend. When you put it in your email that you'll notify by May 18, everyone should have already heard by then. This is so disappointing. At least let us know so that we can move on...I feel like my life is on hold because of this.

Hi. It is really stressing. I am also waiting to hear from them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rejected from all: U of T, U of A and U of S. Congratulations to everyone who got accepted! I am now thinking whether MPH is the right degree for me... which means time for some soul searching. To everyone who will be applying for next year, good luck!

Edited by gradstudiesmphcan
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.