Jump to content
angela4

regretting my choice?

Recommended Posts

I accepted an offer to the least expensive/most local program I could. The school seems very disorganized and doesn't feel quite right to me, but I chose it because it will fit in the best with the rest of my life right now, and it is the best financial decision. Maybe when it starts I will feel better about my choice. I think I'm just looking for someone to give me a virtual pat on the back and tell me I made a good choice :). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming from someone who has yet to get an acceptance from ANYWHERE... YOU MAKING A CHOICE IS THE RIGHT CHOICE ?. If you don't mind me asking.. What school did you accept the offer to? And from what you're saying, it seems like you picked that program for the right reasons. A big factor for me if I'm accepted to multiple programs will be the cost. So although you're saying you feel some disorganization/bad vibes, it may just be your doubts making things seem worse than they really are. And once you start the program, you might find that it's the total opposite, 

The great thing I have come to understand about this field, is that for the most part, it really doesn't matter where you go for grad school - you will get a job because of what you studied and not really because of where. 

So unless the school you go to has a low passing rate for the Praxis or doesn't help you get externship placements or something that would hugely impact you, I would say take it easy and just be really happy that you'll be starting your last stretch of education for your dream career ? And if some red flags appear that make you really worried about your education there, maybe you can consider transferring or possibly contacting a program that previously accepted you. But I doubt it would come to that anyway. All the best to you!! Be HAPPY & RELIEVED that your wait is over!! ? And congrats on your acceptance!! ???

Edited by SpeechLaedy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@angela4 
 

GOOD CHOICE :)  I know I've advocated for the cheaper school, even though I went to a not so cheap school, but I didnt have a choice.  I only got accepted to 2 schools and the price was the same for both.  For example, I was planning on accepting at my undergrad University if accepted because I live down the street and the cost would have been $30,000 cheaper.  I would have done this knowing that the program wasn't very organized, etc because it was cheap and I wouldn't of had to move.  So again, GREAT CHOICE!  you will be taught the same thing every grad program teaches, its up to YOU to absorb the information/study/work hard at externships, etc.  You will get out of it what you put into it. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's normal to feel a little bit of regret accepting any grad school offer!  I was really between 2 schools, and just turned down an offer to one of them last week.  I sort of regretted it, as it is a little closer (although my school choice is only 2 hours away, vs about 45 minutes, and both are in-state) and I have a long-term relationship with someone from where I am currently located.  But I got a funding offer for the school I am attending, and it just feels like a better choice for me- despite the fact that I'm feeling a little anxious.

I think there is a good reason behind why you made the choice that you did!  Trust your gut feeling.  If it fits with your life best, then it's probably the better option.  Unless you have turned down your other school offers already, you have a *little* more time to think about it.  As the poster above me said, you're highly likely to get a job after graduation, no matter where you go!  SLP is very in-demand.  And most importantly, you made it through this very stressful application progress on top, and you're going to be working towards your dream career!

So be proud, and be excited!  You're doing great. *virtual pat on the back*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you both so much.

21 minutes ago, twinguy7 said:

its up to YOU to absorb the information/study/work hard at externships, etc.  You will get out of it what you put into it. :)

@twinguy7 That's a great way to think of it. Thank you!

 

19 minutes ago, CCCaffeinated-SLP said:

But I got a funding offer for the school I am attending, and it just feels like a better choice for me- despite the fact that I'm feeling a little anxious.

 

@CCCaffeinated-SLP Congratulations on your acceptances and the funding offer! I'm sure you will have a great experience.

20 minutes ago, CCCaffeinated-SLP said:

So be proud, and be excited!  You're doing great. *virtual pat on the back*

Just what I needed :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, SpeechLaedy said:

Coming from someone who has yet to get an acceptance from ANYWHERE... YOU MAKING A CHOICE IS THE RIGHT CHOICE ?. If you don't mind me asking.. What school did you accept the offer to? And from what you're saying, it seems like you picked that program for the right reasons. A big factor for me if I'm accepted to multiple programs will be the cost. So although you're saying you feel some disorganization/bad vibes, it may just be your doubts making things seem worse than they really are. And once you start the program, you might find that it's the total opposite, 

The great thing I have come to understand about this field, is that for the most part, it really doesn't matter where you go for grad school - you will get a job because of what you studied and not really because of where. 

So unless the school you go to has a low passing rate for the Praxis or doesn't help you get externship placements or something that would hugely impact you, I would say take it easy and just be really happy that you'll be starting your last stretch of education for your dream career ? And if some red flags appear that make you really worried about your education there, maybe you can consider transferring or possibly contacting a program that previously accepted you. But I doubt it would come to that anyway. All the best to you!! Be HAPPY & RELIEVED that your wait is over!! ? And congrats on your acceptance!! ???

@SpeechLaedy Oops, I didn't see this reply earlier. I won't say the name of the school since I made a negative comment about it, and I feel like that could end up being a mistake down the line! I think you are right that I am worrying too much about it. Best of luck to you with everything!

Edited by angela4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, angela4 said:

I accepted an offer to the least expensive/most local program I could. The school seems very disorganized and doesn't feel quite right to me, but I chose it because it will fit in the best with the rest of my life right now, and it is the best financial decision. Maybe when it starts I will feel better about my choice. I think I'm just looking for someone to give me a virtual pat on the back and tell me I made a good choice :). 

Just want to add in from my experience, several schools appear disorganized. Several schools I have tried to contact through the application process gave me conflicting information or took several days to answer. I think part of it is just the nature of schools and they haven't perfected the communication process. I have been trying to get in contact with someone from the program I have accepted an offer from to discuss prerequisite requirements and am constantly waiting days in between email responses (sometimes leading me to send multiple emails). No school is perfect and you can't guarantee a different school choice would have lead to more organization! These schools deal with a lot of students and hopefully it'll be better once you are matriculated. Feel excited, you've been given an opportunity several students strive for!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like that is your inner voice warning you. Always listen to that inner voice and gut feeling. You may not be sure why you feel like you're regretting your choice, but your psyche does, so just follow it!

I was going through the same thing a couple weeks ago, in the end, I am sticking with my first choice and I am not looking back. When I accepted a different option, I just kept going back and forth, and doing all these what-if scenarios, and anazlyzing every little red flag, and was totally unsure.

But after following instinct, I feel firm in my decision and so does my inner voice. There's no more wavering at all and that makes me feel very secure with the choice I made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, angela4 said:

I accepted an offer to the least expensive/most local program I could. The school seems very disorganized and doesn't feel quite right to me, but I chose it because it will fit in the best with the rest of my life right now, and it is the best financial decision. Maybe when it starts I will feel better about my choice. I think I'm just looking for someone to give me a virtual pat on the back and tell me I made a good choice :). 

If you still have other options open, then you *might* want to consider them.  But if you don't, I wouldn't stress too much.  Losing a year of salary in addition to attending a more expensive program next year wouldn't make much sense.  I understand exactly what Twin Guy was saying, because we were in the same undergrad program in different years.  I also agree with the posters above as there is some level of disorganization in EVERY program, no matter the cost or ranking.  Clinical degree programs of all kinds have a certain amount of "semi-controlled chaos" due to the difficulty in sorting out clinical placements and sites, etc.  As far as rankings, they aren't *everything* but they certainly aren't *nothing* either, hence my recent posts about ranking.  Congrats, and good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's completely normal to have some doubts. To be fortunate enough to have a choice is great, but I almost wish I didn't because I am so afraid of making the wrong decision! There is nothing wrong with choosing a school based on costs. And remember, the faculty that deals with the admissions process has a whole other job. I am sure they are juggling a lot during this time of year with their current students, and the admissions process. So maybe they are not as disorganized as they seem right now :-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's totally normal! I am having some doubts as well, I wanted a larger adventure but am staying where it will be best for me. (Financially, family, friends). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree—I think it is totally normal to have regrets or hesitation! I minorly freak out and wonder if I should have chosen a different program all the time, but I always circle back to why I chose the program I did. And as long as a program is accredited, there really is no such thing as a total mistake. Just remember why you decided on your school in the first place (cost alone is a great reason)! If you are seriously regretting it, you could call the admissions office of a program you turned down. I am not sure what your level of regret is, but if you still find pros and cons between the different programs, and still feel there are some pros to the program you chose, I think that is a sign that you made the right choice because in most cases any program is the right choice for different reasons :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2017 at 0:35 PM, Chai Tea Latte said:

I feel like that is your inner voice warning you. Always listen to that inner voice and gut feeling. You may not be sure why you feel like you're regretting your choice, but your psyche does, so just follow it!

I was going through the same thing a couple weeks ago, in the end, I am sticking with my first choice and I am not looking back. When I accepted a different option, I just kept going back and forth, and doing all these what-if scenarios, and anazlyzing every little red flag, and was totally unsure.

But after following instinct, I feel firm in my decision and so does my inner voice. There's no more wavering at all and that makes me feel very secure with the choice I made.

Where did you decide? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it helps you at all I chose the cheaper of two options as well! If it wasn't a significant difference it wouldn't have mattered to me but there was enough of a difference that I needed to consider it! You'll be setting yourself better financially in the future...that's what I tell myself anyway too lol.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2017 at 0:07 PM, slp1234 said:

Just want to add in from my experience, several schools appear disorganized. Several schools I have tried to contact through the application process gave me conflicting information or took several days to answer. 

@slp1234 Thank you so much! Your response helped me feel better and know that mine isn't the only school with these problems. 

On 4/14/2017 at 3:35 PM, Chai Tea Latte said:

But after following instinct, I feel firm in my decision and so does my inner voice. There's no more wavering at all and that makes me feel very secure with the choice I made.

On 4/14/2017 at 11:09 PM, Jolie717 said:

If you still have other options open, then you *might* want to consider them.  But if you don't, I wouldn't stress too much.  Losing a year of salary in addition to attending a more expensive program next year wouldn't make much sense. 

@Jolie717 Thank you. I agree about losing a year of salary...I like to think I made the "practical" decision here, and I am just used to making decisions based on feelings. 

@chaitealatte Congrats on making the right decision for you! Like I said above, I totally agree that gut instinct is important! I guess I'm going about it a different way this time, and hoping for the best :)

On 4/15/2017 at 0:26 AM, Alicia124 said:

It's completely normal to have some doubts. To be fortunate enough to have a choice is great, but I almost wish I didn't because I am so afraid of making the wrong decision! There is nothing wrong with choosing a school based on costs.

@Alicia124 Yes, we are definitely fortunate to have a choice! Thank you.

On 4/15/2017 at 0:59 AM, jmk said:

It's totally normal! I am having some doubts as well, I wanted a larger adventure but am staying where it will be best for me. (Financially, family, friends). 

@jmk I love adventures too :). But I guess going to grad school and switching careers is its own adventure. 

 

On 4/15/2017 at 8:59 PM, plume said:

I agree—I think it is totally normal to have regrets or hesitation! I minorly freak out and wonder if I should have chosen a different program all the time, but I always circle back to why I chose the program I did. And as long as a program is accredited, there really is no such thing as a total mistake. Just remember why you decided on your school in the first place (cost alone is a great reason)! 

@plume Thanks for the affirmation that cost can be a good reason. :) And congrats to you on choosing a program!

 

1 hour ago, AlwaysaFalcon said:

If it helps you at all I chose the cheaper of two options as well! If it wasn't a significant difference it wouldn't have mattered to me but there was enough of a difference that I needed to consider it! You'll be setting yourself better financially in the future...that's what I tell myself anyway too lol.

 

@AlwaysaFalcon I'm glad to know you chose the cheaper school too. Good luck and congrats :)!

 

Thank you so much everyone. I never expected so much helpful advice and input. I'm trying to look at it with a positive attitude and just think about how lucky I am to be able to take this next step in life. :) 

Edited by angela4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Chai Tea Latte said:

I'm still sticking with West Texas :)

Awesome! I haven't seen a facebook group. Maybe we should make one? I think you need 2 people :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tvl said:

Awesome! I haven't seen a facebook group. Maybe we should make one? I think you need 2 people :)

Yah! Idk how to go about it, but let's make one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@tvl @Chai Tea Latte I discovered that you only need 2 members to start a group, so one of you can set it up and add any friend/significant other and then just kick them out as soon as you have created the group. One of you can be in the group alone until you can direct the other where to go. I'm sure you've already figured this out, but maybe it will help someone in the future!

Edited by angela4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@angela4 I'm going through a very similar thing right now. I accepted an offer I was not particularly crazy about. I had to do it due to funding. It hurts right now; I had to reject an offer that I loved. But, I am very hopeful that I will find some light in the program I accepted once I get there. Ug, adult decisions suck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Billy_Pilgrim said:

 Ug, adult decisions suck. 

@Billy_Pilgrim They totally do! I think you did the right thing going the more affordable route, and the fact that I keep saying that to others makes me realize that maybe I did the right thing too! I hope/believe you will have a good experience at your chosen school. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, angela4 said:

@tvl @Chai Tea Latte I discovered that you only need 2 members to start a group, so one of you can set it up and add any friend/significant other and then just kick them out as soon as you have created the group. One of you can be in the group alone until you can direct the other where to go. I'm sure you've already figured this out, but maybe it will help someone in the future!

I had no idea! Thank you so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.