Fulbright Hays DDRA 2017-2018

Belambrosia

Last night, the House of Representatives voted 248 to 163 to defeat an amendment proposed by Rep. Keith Rothfus (R-PA-12) to cut the Fulbright Program by $30,000,000. This was an unusual moment for the Fulbright Program, which is often approved as part of a larger bill. This time, members were asked to vote specifically to cut the Fulbright to benefit another program.

Just to help other folks out who are still waiting, I received my award notification today, Sept. 8 at 2:49 pm PST from Yale! I got it and the letter noted that those accepting should notify the Department by September 13. There was a by-line that said if you are an alternate candidate should the principal candidate from your school not accept, your application will remain active until October 10. 

And to answer the question by @daykid, I'm in Sociology and will be doing my research in South Africa. Best of luck to you all!

Edited by A.P.

I've heard back!!

To add details to your obsessive stalking of this forum:

I'm at Michigan State

I'm in history

I will be doing research in Oman, UK, and Tanzania (mostly Oman)

Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of an unusual situation but I'm wondering if someone on here knows some info. I received fulbright IIE and the Hays, but I haven't been to my pre-departure orientation nor have I received any money from the IIE folks (Southern Hemisphere!) Would I still be able to accept the Hays? Congratulations to everyone who is receiving good news!

41 minutes ago, Deina said:

To those of you that heard back, are these personal notifications? I'm wondering how those who have been rejected will find out.

Hi Deina,

The fellowship coordinator at my school let me know personally. My partner also applied for the Hays and hasn't heard from her, so it's likely that he didn't receive it.

I received a personal email from my university coordinator yesterday (UC Berkeley). For better or worse, I'm one of the folks who is in limbo as an alternate. My area is Sociocultural Anthropology and Science & Technology Studies, and my field site is Cameroon. 

If you are a principal candidate, it says you need the appropriate research permission authorizing research on the approved topic from the host country and the appropriate visa to enter the country of research.  I get the visa part, but what is meant by appropriate research permission from the host country?  I guess it varies by country, but can anyone shed light on this process and what it entails?

Edited by size5shoes

27 minutes ago, size5shoes said:

If you are a principal candidate, it says you need the appropriate research permission authorizing research on the approved topic from the host country and the appropriate visa to enter the country of research.  I get the visa part, but what is meant by appropriate research permission from the host country?  I guess it varies by country, but can anyone shed light on this process and what it entails?

Some countries require you to have IRB, their equivalent of the IRB, or a research visa to do research in that country. Look up your countries specific requirements!

2 hours ago, daykid said:

So it seems like quite a few folks heard on Friday. Do we think that all the good news has gone out at this point and if we haven't heard it's probably a no?

Unfortunately, I think so. I was just speaking to my campus coordinator about what to expect as an alternate, and it sounds like the case with Fulbright is that no answer is a no. =(

2 hours ago, vmassie said:

Unfortunately, I think so. I was just speaking to my campus coordinator about what to expect as an alternate, and it sounds like the case with Fulbright is that no answer is a no. =(

Thanks, that's what I figured. Honestly, I wasn't holding my breath on this one.  Congrats to everyone who got good news!

@EndoftheLine honestly I haven't learned much. Mostly that if I don't hear anything, it's likely a no. And it sounds like, while the official date is October 10, we'll probably be notified about the status of the app by the end of the month. I have no idea about rank and alternate status, or if DoE even makes that available to campus coordinators. Where is your work based?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...