Moving out of state

I'm going to be moving out of state with my husband and our dog. I was wondering, how does one go about apartment hunting while living out of state. Unfortunately, on-campus apartments are not an option since we have a dog. 

I was thinking we would need to either plan a visit ahead of time to check out places ($1200+ in airfare), or we could just move out earlier, say July, and apartment hunt while staying in the town ($700 for a week stay) and plan to move in ASAP during our visit. What are your guys' thoughts and suggestions?

I'm in the same boat. Unfortunately, I'll be working until July 28th, so I won't be able to move out early. I was hoping to either go late June since I have some time off work and check places out super early. Or possibly contacting apartment complexes and seeing if they will have any availability starting in August. 

I'd like to hear what other people suggest as I'm stressing out a little about this move!

I'll be moving out of state this fall too, and I will not have a chance to go and check out the apartment I'll be living in. I chose to sign a lease at graduate student apartments close to campus. I know not every school has this option, but many do, so it might be worth looking into graduate housing, apartments, etc. at your university. I don't think I'll live there for more than a year because it is slightly more expensive than I wanted, but I need to establish residency in my new home state in the first year of my program so I can qualify for in-state tuition, which means I need to have my own name on a lease rather than renting or subletting an apartment or room in a house. Graduate living options seemed to make the most sense to me since I won't have a chance to really check anything else out before I move--it's also usually safe to assume that graduate/professional housing will be more quiet and less rowdy than an apartment complex with a lot of undergrads living there. Also, as a general rule, if you're looking at apartment options, typically the farther away from campus you are, the nicer/more quiet the apartment.

Did you check out the City Guide thread on here yet? People tend to give really good advice about living options on there as well, so definitely take a look if you haven't yet. 

I'm feeling the pain here.  How do you get a place to rent to you if you have no job in the new state?  Do you show them your loan info?  I'm sure many of you are having parents cosign, but that is not an option for me.  I've never moved without having a job waiting for me. :(  I've also never moved out of state!  

I'm in the same boat but fortunately my dad is watching my dog so I can get settled first. I'm subleasing for the summer and then I'm going to look for a more permanent place once I get there. I've just been upfront with people that I can't see the place in person. Since it's only for 2 months I've been more lenient on the type of place. I found better luck with places using my school's student listings (instead of craigslist or a similar site). 

1 hour ago, hantoo said:

I don't think I'll live there for more than a year because it is slightly more expensive than I wanted, but I need to establish residency in my new home state in the first year of my program so I can qualify for in-state tuition, which means I need to have my own name on a lease rather than renting or subletting an apartment or room in a house.

I also need to establish residency in my new state. Hopefully moving on August 1st will be early enough to get in-state tuition the second year. When do you plan on moving?

@panda1991 I went on the university's website to check out their off campus housing, see if I like any of them. If not, I check out apt websites and Craigslist. If I'm interested, I go on google map to "drive" through the neighborhood and check out the environment. You can also use google earth to do this. If you want, you could also try finding apartment complexes with short leases (3-6months) until you find a more suitable long-term home. 

@ssllpp It varies from school to school. A friend of mine got in-state within six months while some got in-state by the second year of grad school. Check with your school what they offer to their out-of-state students. I got lucky and got in-state tuition by becoming a TA. 

@SLPsingballs Depending on the apartment management, you might have to get a co-signer. Loans do not count as a stable income. If you're granted a stipend, that's considered as income. If I were you, try finding a roommate that's already settled in or apartments that rent out to students. 

Edited by Louly

51 minutes ago, ssllpp said:

I also need to establish residency in my new state. Hopefully moving on August 1st will be early enough to get in-state tuition the second year. When do you plan on moving?

My lease begins August 7th so that's the earliest date I can get there--I'm planning on starting the process ASAP when I get down there. I'll have a full week before I have any obligations for my program, so I'll likely spend that time going to the DMV, etc. to get things moving!

Oh man, I've had to deal with this issue a lot in my career as a singer. Here's what I'd suggest:

Plan A: Go well in advance of the move to check out the area in person. Scout out possible locations/buildings/complexes in advance from CL or whatever local apartment-finding sites you might find online. I've found great places just by driving/ walking around parts of town I really liked and seeing "Vacancy" signs outside buildings.

Plan B: Book an Airbnb or short term sublet for the first couple weeks, so you give yourself a chance to scout out apartments in person without having to spend money to go early. (But if you can get there a week or two early, even better!)

Plan C: Find potential apartments online and ask to do a Skype/ FaceTime tour. If you have a friend in town, perhaps they'd be willing to go check out the place in person so you're sure it's not a scam. Send a deposit through PayPal for security reasons (so you have some recourse if you have to dispute a fraudulent charge).

That last one probably sounds sketchy, but I've actually done it before and had things work out well. (And with a CL sublet, no less!) Best of luck! 

Edited by SopranoSLP

4 hours ago, hantoo said:

I'll be moving out of state this fall too, and I will not have a chance to go and check out the apartment I'll be living in. I chose to sign a lease at graduate student apartments close to campus. I know not every school has this option, but many do, so it might be worth looking into graduate housing, apartments, etc. at your university. I don't think I'll live there for more than a year because it is slightly more expensive than I wanted, but I need to establish residency in my new home state in the first year of my program so I can qualify for in-state tuition, which means I need to have my own name on a lease rather than renting or subletting an apartment or room in a house. Graduate living options seemed to make the most sense to me since I won't have a chance to really check anything else out before I move--it's also usually safe to assume that graduate/professional housing will be more quiet and less rowdy than an apartment complex with a lot of undergrads living there. Also, as a general rule, if you're looking at apartment options, typically the farther away from campus you are, the nicer/more quiet the apartment.

Did you check out the City Guide thread on here yet? People tend to give really good advice about living options on there as well, so definitely take a look if you haven't yet. 

I can't live on campus since they don't allow pets and I'm bringing our dog. Thanks for the advice about the city guide, it's in a small town so hopefully I'll be able to get some advice there. I'm looking into the off campus options that are listed on my university's website as my best bet. I'm just worried about finding a place without seeing it... currently thinking that moving earlier is a better option since it's cheaper. 

4 hours ago, brenbren12 said:

I'm in the same boat but fortunately my dad is watching my dog so I can get settled first. I'm subleasing for the summer and then I'm going to look for a more permanent place once I get there. I've just been upfront with people that I can't see the place in person. Since it's only for 2 months I've been more lenient on the type of place. I found better luck with places using my school's student listings (instead of craigslist or a similar site). 

Great, I'll contact my university's off-campus apartment suggestions first. I'm weary of craiglist since it's in a new town. Although I did find my current job on craigslist but that's a different story though, lol.

1 hour ago, SopranoSLP said:

Oh man, I've had to deal with this issue a lot in my career as a singer. Here's what I'd suggest:

Plan A: Go well in advance of the move to check out the area in person. Scout out possible locations/buildings/complexes in advance from CL or whatever local apartment-finding sites you might find online. I've found great places just by driving/ walking around parts of town I really liked and seeing "Vacancy" signs outside buildings.

Plan B: Book an Airbnb or short term sublet for the first couple weeks, so you give yourself a chance to scout out apartments in person without having to spend money to go early. (But if you can get there a week or two early, even better!)

Plan C: Find potential apartments online and ask to do a Skype/ FaceTime tour. If you have a friend in town, perhaps they'd be willing to go check out the place in person so you're sure it's not a scam. Send a deposit through PayPal for security reasons (so you have some recourse if you have to dispute a fraudulent charge).

That last one probably sounds sketchy, but I've actually done it before and had things work out well. (And with a CL sublet, no less!) Best of luck! 

These are all great options, that's really helpful advice about paypal! I hadn't thought of that. I'm leaning heavily towards option B currently and staying a week ahead of time. I'm gonna try to save up as much as I can if there's any way possible because I'm worried 1 week won't be enough time to find a place!

@Louly I will definitely do that. Thanks!

@SLPSingBalls I'm wondering the same thing! I was hoping that showing my employment history and loan information would be enough, but I won't be able to find a new job (same with hubby) while we're out of the state. Has anyone else gone through this?

Edited by panda1991
formatting

Contact the program or current grad students in the program to get an idea of good areas. I have moved to places by researching the area and just apartment hunting online. The biggest thing is looking at the neighborhoods - crime, cost, amenities, parks for your dog, etc. I wouldn't move into a place that did not provide pictures. Most places hire professional photographers so there shouldn't be surprises. Also apartmentratings.com will give reviews from past tenants - just remember theres always those people that no one can make happy, when you're reading. 

Just a little bit of encouragement.. I just found an apartment and was able to sign the lease via internet and all is good :) there is hope for us moving out of state!

2 hours ago, Alicia124 said:

Contact the program or current grad students in the program to get an idea of good areas. I have moved to places by researching the area and just apartment hunting online. The biggest thing is looking at the neighborhoods - crime, cost, amenities, parks for your dog, etc. I wouldn't move into a place that did not provide pictures. Most places hire professional photographers so there shouldn't be surprises. Also apartmentratings.com will give reviews from past tenants - just remember theres always those people that no one can make happy, when you're reading. 

Thanks! I will definitely check out that website. :) 

1 hour ago, kayyyyy_ said:

Just a little bit of encouragement.. I just found an apartment and was able to sign the lease via internet and all is good :) there is hope for us moving out of state!

That is a relief to hear. Thanks! 

I have another question I just thought of. I was thinking about calling places 4-6 weeks in advance to possibly set up tours. Is this a good timeframe?

2 minutes ago, panda1991 said:

Thanks! I will definitely check out that website. :) 

That is a relief to hear. Thanks! 

I have another question I just thought of. I was thinking about calling places 4-6 weeks in advance to possibly set up tours. Is this a good timeframe?

Yes!

• 4 months later...

Update: Ended up contacting places via phone and got pictures from an apartment management rental company listed on my university's website. Signed the lease in person on move-in day after viewing it in person. Probably wouldn't recommend this option if you have a lot of money or financial support from family, but this ended up being the best option for me and I was thankful I saved the extra money to put towards new furniture, homeware, and books for school which added up quickly! 

On 4/26/2017 at 8:39 AM, hantoo said:

I don't think you can establish residency while in school

On 8/27/2017 at 7:42 PM, Eigen said:

You can, you just don't have to.

Most states have rules against this. If you could that would mean most students, other than freshman, would get to pay in state tuition. You have to establish residency before you start  school, which takes a whole year. 

Maybe not the state but the schools...I'm from CA and even the community colleges here have very strict rules against this. Hopefully you guys are going to schools that will allow you to change your residency status...in state tuition is expensive enough! 

Edited by BeachySpeechy

5 hours ago, BeachySpeechy said:

Most states have rules against this. If you could that would mean most students, other than freshman, would get to pay in state tuition. You have to establish residency before you start  school, which takes a whole year. 

Maybe not the state but the schools...I'm from CA and even the community colleges here have very strict rules against this. Hopefully you guys are going to schools that will allow you to change your residency status...in state tuition is expensive enough! 

But that's not what you said- you said you can't establish residency while in school. You can establish residency while in school, you just can't immediately become a resident for tuition purposes. If you do establish residency while in school, your tuition will go back to the in-state value after you've been in the state for a year. 

Most undergrads don't establish residency because they can't meet the requirements- and it's usually not worth it. It means they (usually) can't be on their parents insurance, can't go back home and work a job over breaks, etc.

Most graduate students do establish residency, but don't have to- they can opt to consider themselves students and go home to register a car, get at drivers license, etc.

In most universities, if you're a grad student, it doesn't matter if you're a resident or not, as the university usually waives tuition up to a certain amount. I don't plan to change residency because I have a house back in Louisiana that has a homestead exemption, for which I pay almost no taxes and if I were to change residency, I would then have to pay large sums of taxes on the house. It's just not a practical idea for me. 

9 minutes ago, cowgirlsdontcry said:

In most universities, if you're a grad student, it doesn't matter if you're a resident or not, as the university usually waives tuition up to a certain amount. I don't plan to change residency because I have a house back in Louisiana that has a homestead exemption, for which I pay almost no taxes and if I were to change residency, I would then have to pay large sums of taxes on the house. It's just not a practical idea for me. 

This is more true for private than public schools, and depends on the difference between in and out-of state tuition. If the out-of-state tuition is twice in-state, the school is effectively choosing between two in-state graduate students or one out-of-state student.

Some state schools accordingly require you to become a resident to lower the tuition. In other words, they'll pay the difference during the year it takes you to establish residency, but after that either you pay the difference or you establish residency. See some of the Cali schools for this. 

Then I'm doubly glad the department pays for up to 15 hours per semester whether in-state or out of state. They only accepted 5 PhD students and I have met two others (1 in-state, 2 of us from out-of-state), so either the other two declined or they are on fellowship for the first year.

11 hours ago, Eigen said:

But that's not what you said- you said you can't establish residency while in school. You can establish residency while in school, you just can't immediately become a resident for tuition purposes. If you do establish residency while in school, your tuition will go back to the in-state value after you've been in the state for a year. 

Most undergrads don't establish residency because they can't meet the requirements- and it's usually not worth it. It means they (usually) can't be on their parents insurance, can't go back home and work a job over breaks, etc.

Most graduate students do establish residency, but don't have to- they can opt to consider themselves students and go home to register a car, get at drivers license, etc.

When I said that it was in response to the person saying they needed to establish residency for in-state tuition. Sorry for the confusion....to clarify, what I meant is that establishing residency for tuition purposes usually involves more than living in the state for 12 months when you've already enrolled in a program as a non-resident. I think some people mistakenly think that having a lease for 12 months in a new state will be enough but often it is not. Some schools require proof other than just your name on a utility bill or on a lease. They want to see you're working (not just going to school) in their state so they will ask for tax forms showing you have been working in the state. Or they ask for proof that you own (not lease) property in the state. Bottom line is that most schools are becoming more strict on who they consider a resident. These strict requirements are usually for the students that are trying to change their residency status with their school. Hopefully that person's school is more lenient with making that change. I just wanted to let her know that it might not be that easy.

Edited by BeachySpeechy