Moving out of state

@BeachySpeechy Oh I am definitely aware it requires more than just living here for a year----there were a lot of other steps involved in the process that I already did/am doing now. I'm sure it's not the same for every school/program and everyone's situation is different of course, but for my program, it says right on the department page that it is "expected"/"highly recommended" that grad students establish residency if they are moving here from a different state. It just makes the most sense for me anyway because I'll be living here for a long time. A lot of grad students I know are doing the same thing. For my program, so long as students hold an assistantship they get a tuition waiver no matter what, but in case something happens it's good to know that we won't suddenly be slammed with out-of-state tuition which, for my school, is SIGNIFICANTLY more than in-state tuition.

Edited by hantoo

3 hours ago, hantoo said:

@BeachySpeechy Oh I am definitely aware it requires more than just living here for a year----there were a lot of other steps involved in the process that I already did/am doing now. I'm sure it's not the same for every school/program and everyone's situation is different of course, but for my program, it says right on the department page that it is "expected"/"highly recommended" that grad students establish residency if they are moving here from a different state. It just makes the most sense for me anyway because I'll be living here for a long time. A lot of grad students I know are doing the same thing. For my program, so long as students hold an assistantship they get a tuition waiver no matter what, but in case something happens it's good to know that we won't suddenly be slammed with out-of-state tuition which, for my school, is SIGNIFICANTLY more than in-state tuition.

That's smart. That's great about the assistantship...most of the programs that I know (in speech pathology) don't offer assistantships. I'm in a sort of hybrid grad program where I spend my summers on-campus in AZ (I live in CA) but they give us in-state tuition for our summers. The rest of our classes are done online and they are giving us 1.2x in-state tuition. I know my situation isn't the norm though.

Edited by BeachySpeechy

• 3 weeks later...

What I did is I looked at apartments online and looked to see how close they were to campus. I used apartmentsguide.com and apartments.com. I explained to the landlords that I would be moving from out of state and would not have a chance to look at the apartment before moving so I relied heavily on photos online and reviews. I applied to 2 places and was accepted into both. When asked about my income I was honest and said I would be a graduate student and would have a part time job and using loans to pay for my apartment. As long as your credit score is good then you'll be fine. I was lucky and worked with great people and got an awesome apartment. I hope this helps. That was quite stressful! So I understand your pain!