Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

2 hours ago, JN212 said:

Has anyone tried opening an account and application for Wisconsin? I created an account and tried to open a new application and it said registration was currently closed. According to their website they said applications would be available Sept. 1st. Has anyone had issues or did I screw something up?

I also tried opening an account and it also said registration is currently closed. My guess is they haven't opened it yet and are probably waiting until the Match opens on September 5th to open up applications. 

So I'm looking on the National Match Website and I'm just a little confused when it has the certain tracks.  Maybe I just haven't done enough research but for example, UAB had like five different tracks, one of them even saying that it is taking place in Vanderbilt, not UAB.  What exactly does this mean?  Would I apply for a certain track? And why is UAB not an option for one of the tracks?  Just a little confused so thanks for your help!!

Also, where the heck is LIU Post?!?  Did they get their program taken away or am I just blind and couldn't find them on the list?

7 minutes ago, jebbahay7 said:

So I'm looking on the National Match Website and I'm just a little confused when it has the certain tracks.  Maybe I just haven't done enough research but for example, UAB had like five different tracks, one of them even saying that it is taking place in Vanderbilt, not UAB.  What exactly does this mean?  Would I apply for a certain track? And why is UAB not an option for one of the tracks?  Just a little confused so thanks for your help!!

Also, where the heck is LIU Post?!?  Did they get their program taken away or am I just blind and couldn't find them on the list?

So for UAB, students have the option to go to another site for a month, semester, or year during their second year. So if you want to or are okay with being placed on one of those tracks, you rank them in the order of your preference. If you don't want to do your second year at any place other than the main campus, you just don't rank the additional tracks and only rank the 12110 track, which is the main UAB one. 

For one example, I am applying to Augustana. Students at Augustana have the option to spend their second year in either Sioux Falls or San Diego, they split the class half and half. If I am okay with either, I would rank them according to my preference (2nd year Sioux Falls first, 2nd year San Diego second). If I don't want to be considered for admission if my only option is San Diego the second year (Say the first 4 students they select all preferred Sioux Falls the second year, and I am student 5), then I just wouldn't rank the San Diego track at all.

Does that make sense?

1 hour ago, Nefelibata said:

So for UAB, students have the option to go to another site for a month, semester, or year during their second year. So if you want to or are okay with being placed on one of those tracks, you rank them in the order of your preference. If you don't want to do your second year at any place other than the main campus, you just don't rank the additional tracks and only rank the 12110 track, which is the main UAB one. 

For one example, I am applying to Augustana. Students at Augustana have the option to spend their second year in either Sioux Falls or San Diego, they split the class half and half. If I am okay with either, I would rank them according to my preference (2nd year Sioux Falls first, 2nd year San Diego second). If I don't want to be considered for admission if my only option is San Diego the second year (Say the first 4 students they select all preferred Sioux Falls the second year, and I am student 5), then I just wouldn't rank the San Diego track at all.

Does that make sense?

Yes perfect sense thank you so much!!

2 hours ago, jebbahay7 said:

LIU's website says they are currently on "Probationary Accreditation."  Maybe that's why they aren't currently listed under the participating programs on the match website. 

This may have already been answered. But I am confused about why scholarships are listed separately from the actual program. If you don't get the scholarship, does that mean you're out of the running to get into a program if you used the scholarship code?

31 minutes ago, NewAtThis said:

This may have already been answered. But I am confused about why scholarships are listed separately from the actual program. If you don't get the scholarship, does that mean you're out of the running to get into a program if you used the scholarship code?

I think it may be because your choices will change depending on if you get a scholarship or not.  So I might say I prefer Rutgers over Bay Path if I get a scholarship at Rutgers, but I prefer Bay Path over Rutgers if I'm not offered the scholarship.  So then I'd rank 1. Rutgers scholarship (11610), 2. Bay Path (10310), 3. Rutgers Partial scholarship (11611), 4. Rutgers No Funding (11612).

Oh ok! Thank you for that. That makes a lot of sense.

1 hour ago, TAGC said:

I think it may be because your choices will change depending on if you get a scholarship or not.  So I might say I prefer Rutgers over Bay Path if I get a scholarship at Rutgers, but I prefer Bay Path over Rutgers if I'm not offered the scholarship.  So then I'd rank 1. Rutgers scholarship (11610), 2. Bay Path (10310), 3. Rutgers Partial scholarship (11611), 4. Rutgers No Funding (11612).

Edited by NewAtThis

So I was looking at a different thread and I found the website of the directors of the genetic counseling programs in the US and Canada and there are a bunch of programs that are listed as "affiliated members" so I'm wondering if that would open up more programs within the next few years!  Has anyone heard about these other potential programs? (besides MGH and Columbia)

1 hour ago, jebbahay7 said:

So I was looking at a different thread and I found the website of the directors of the genetic counseling programs in the US and Canada and there are a bunch of programs that are listed as "affiliated members" so I'm wondering if that would open up more programs within the next few years!  Has anyone heard about these other potential programs? (besides MGH and Columbia)

Yes, that's a great way to think of those members. Both Baylor and Arizona were on that list as affiliated members before sending in their info for their programs.

I do not have any additional info about any of those members, but I do recall hearing somewhere about Vanderbilt wanting to start a program within the next few years

Match question...

So with all of these different school/scholarship codes, do you have to apply/rank all options for each school?  For example, if I was interested in applying to University of Michigan if I were to receive a partial scholarship but not if I didn't receive a scholarship, could you apply and rank ONLY the scholarship option or would I need to be okay with the no scholarship option as well?  I hope that makes sense.. Because if we can apply to certain programs that offer scholarships and only select the scholarship option and not full tuition, it may change the number of schools I apply to.  Thanks!

24 minutes ago, GCtobee said:

Match question...

So with all of these different school/scholarship codes, do you have to apply/rank all options for each school?  For example, if I was interested in applying to University of Michigan if I were to receive a partial scholarship but not if I didn't receive a scholarship, could you apply and rank ONLY the scholarship option or would I need to be okay with the no scholarship option as well?  I hope that makes sense.. Because if we can apply to certain programs that offer scholarships and only select the scholarship option and not full tuition, it may change the number of schools I apply to.  Thanks!

You do rank only to what you want AND be extremely aware of which schools you prefer over others and rank them to your preferences, not to where you think you'll get into. Of course, your best chance at getting into that specific school would be to rank all options they have. Because if they want you, but without the partial scholarship, and you only rank the partial scholarship option, then you can't get matched to them for no scholarship.

But of course, financially if you can only afford the school with the partial scholarship, it makes complete sense to only rank the partial scholarship option. 

52 minutes ago, GCtobee said:

Match question...

My understanding is that yes, you could rank only the scholarship option and not rank at all the non-scholarship option. 

Also as as a reminder to everyone, we only end up ranking the schools we receive interviews at! We do not rank until March after interviews are over. 

Hey Guys! Been lurking on here for a while and appreciate so much of the helpful information.

I had a question about the match - someone else on here asked why LIU wasn't on the list, does anyone have more info on this or what 'probationary accreditation' means?  Is this something that affects students, or just a paperwork thing? Are there other schools that are not participating in the match?  What happens if you apply to participating and non-participating schools? I was a little unclear on this from the website. I wanted to send an email and ask but don't want to seem rude. 

This is one of the nearby schools for me that I was interested in applying to - just wondering if this is something I should be concerned about! Thanks everyone! :)

56 minutes ago, freckledgenes said:

Is anyone else going to the Prospective Genetic Counselors Symposium next weekend in Columbus? I would be interested in grabbing dinner or lunch or coffee with anyone else who is! Let me know!

@freckledgenes I am going! I arrive around 11am on Friday

2 hours ago, freckledgenes said:

Is anyone else going to the Prospective Genetic Counselors Symposium next weekend in Columbus? I would be interested in grabbing dinner or lunch or coffee with anyone else who is! Let me know!

I'll be going!  I'm probably driving up really early Saturday morning to stay for the seminar then head back to school when it's over at like noon

5 hours ago, Nefelibata said:

@freckledgenes I am going! I arrive around 11am on Friday

3 hours ago, jebbahay7 said:

I'll be going!  I'm probably driving up really early Saturday morning to stay for the seminar then head back to school when it's over at like noon

Nice to see some others from this forum will be there! I am driving from Chicago, so I will likely be arriving on Friday around 4 pm. I was thinking either dinner on Friday or Saturday, if either of you (and anyone else) was interested and able to come! 

4 hours ago, freckledgenes said:

Nice to see some others from this forum will be there! I am driving from Chicago, so I will likely be arriving on Friday around 4 pm. I was thinking either dinner on Friday or Saturday, if either of you (and anyone else) was interested and able to come! 

I would be able to do dinner Friday night or lunch on Saturday!

20 hours ago, freckledgenes said:

I'm going! Driving from Indianapolis, planning on arriving around 4-5 on Friday afternoon. Would love to meet for dinner! Where is everyone staying? I've been seriously dragging my feet on making a hotel reservation. It's on my to do list today.

34 minutes ago, jbv510 said:

I'm going! Driving from Indianapolis, planning on arriving around 4-5 on Friday afternoon. Would love to meet for dinner! Where is everyone staying? I've been seriously dragging my feet on making a hotel reservation. It's on my to do list today.

I'm flying so I'm staying at the Country Inn & Suites by the airport.

5 hours ago, jbv510 said:

I'm staying at the Red Roof Inn Columbus West Broad, which is a bit west of the city. Opposite end of where Nefelibata is staying, it looks like!

Any ideas on where we could get dinner Friday evening? I've not been to Columbus. I also do not mind a bit of driving nearer to where you all are staying!

Just had my first day of volunteering with the two cancer GCs through the local cancer center. I'm super excited for the opportunity! I'll be going every week for 4 hours. I'll get to help with patient prep, drawing pedigrees, figuring out a better system for them to use, when there's appointments I will get to shadow, and then over small projects/administrative stuff that comes up. 

The one GC I've had the most contact with did mention that if everything goes well, she would be happy to write a LOR for me, so yay for that! And the new GC I just met today helped encourage me as she said she didn't get into a program the first time she applied either. So, all in all, a really great day GC wise :D