Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

1 hour ago, skburz said:

Hello all!

A question more for second cycle applicants... forcing myself to think confidently and optimistically, what days of the weeks to interviews usually fall on? I'm planning my coursework and would ideally like to miss as little school as possible. Here's to hoping I actually get some interviews :rolleyes:

Friday or Monday were the days I was given to choose from. I do know of some other schools that do Saturday interviews. Most schools will give you multiple dates to choose from too, so if you have a test on a particular Friday or something you should be able to schedule your interview around it. 

Edited by Nefelibata

Is anyone familiar with Brandeis' prereqs? Specifically the one year of biology with a lab component? My undergraduate was on a quarter system, and I was a bio major so I took many bio courses but only 2 quarters of lab. Would this technically not count as a year?

14 minutes ago, Nefelibata said:

Friday or Monday were the days I was given to choose from. I do know of some other schools that do Saturday interviews. Most schools will give you multiple dates to choose from too, so if you have a test on a particular Friday or something you should be able to schedule your interview around it. 

Great! I have Mondays off from work and want to use as little PTO as possible as well as not tell my job until I have to so Monday interviews will be very beneficial for me. 

___

And I'm sure everyone who cares got emailed, but Baylor's application is up now! 

1 hour ago, hfj23 said:

Am I the only one having trouble accessing Cincinnati's genetic counseling website? (not the application the actual webpage for the program)

They changed their website address: https://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/education/clinical/graduate/grad/genetic-counseling

So I had my eye on a school, but it looks like they've recently updated their admissions requirements to say that a certain class needs a certain prereq to be acceptable. I have the class minus the prereq they want....and it's under required coursework, not suggested. :| given that they consider the whole applicant, should I just put in anyway? If I don't feel like I can put in there I have to accept the stress of finding another program where I feel qualified....

For the record, it's the biochem requirement. Didn't have to take organic chemistry before I took it. 

@hopetobeGC Could you take an online biochemistry course during spring semester? Most programs just need your pre-reqs completed by July and you can put it as 'planned' on your application. If it were me, I would try anyways. But I think it also depends on how many schools you're applying to, and how much the application for that particular school costs.

1 hour ago, hopetobeGC said:

So I had my eye on a school, but it looks like they've recently updated their admissions requirements to say that a certain class needs a certain prereq to be acceptable. I have the class minus the prereq they want....and it's under required coursework, not suggested. :| given that they consider the whole applicant, should I just put in anyway? If I don't feel like I can put in there I have to accept the stress of finding another program where I feel qualified....

For the record, it's the biochem requirement. Didn't have to take organic chemistry before I took it. 

Some schools are firm on the types of classes they require to make sure you have the background they want. I personally didn't know you could take biochem without taking at least ochem 1 first, but every school is different. I would just contact the program and ask them. That's what I've been doing to make sure my AP stats course is okay to use for the statistics pre req. You could offer a copy of your course syllabus if you still have it, and maybe they will look it over and say it's okay to not have the ochem class?

23 minutes ago, hopetobeGC said:

I mean they review transcripts pretty carefully so idk if i would apply for that program if I were you especially if it's one of the more expensive ones. Depending on how many applications they get each year and how competitive it is, they may first look to see if people meet the requirements and go from there. Maybe you can try to contact an accepted student and ask about it?

On 10/13/2017 at 5:58 AM, Brit0312 said:

Hi guys, I've just come across this thread (and that of applications for 2017) and I am very glad that I have found you! I'm a university student in New Zealand studying Genetics, Psychology and Exercise Science, and I have been trying to figure out how to apply to Genetic Counselling programs as an international student. I notice that some universities (I am interested in Canada, but if possible would apply in USA) require a course in Embryology. This isn't offered in New Zealand, and I was advised to enrol at the University of Cincinnati Clinical Embryology course. 

Have any of you completed this course, or have you got any advice for me as an international student? To train as a Clinical Geneticist, and you first must complete your medical degree (6 years), then attain a postgraduate degree in clinical genetics; otherwise you can train as a Genetic Associate (which is most like the Genetic Counselling degrees overseas) and this is usually obtained by an international Masters qualification.

My biggest concerns are that in New Zealand I am assuming I wouldn't be able to get as much experience as you guys would - patient confidentiality would prevent me from getting any shadowing experience, we don't have organisations such as Planned Parenthood, and I am not sure how well the courses for my degree align with international ones. 

I am volunteering with a Youth Crisis helpline, and in the ED at my local hospital. My major is Genetics, which has a lot of DNA Tech and lab work as well as a lot of theory in human and mammalian development. 

Are any of you able to provide any more information or any advice? I'll be finishing my degree at the end of 2018 (different calendar years), which would mean I would begin applications in September 2019.

Thank you!

You don't need to volunteer at planned parenthood to have a strong application.  The Youth Crisis Helpline sounds perfect for the counseling experience they're looking for.

The shadowing experience is one of the toughest parts of the application to fulfill, but it is pretty important.  I applied two years ago and didn't get any interviews and the main feedback I got was shadowing.  When I applied last year I started getting interviews, and the shadowing was really the only thing that changed.  Right now I'm taking an online course through The University of South Carolina called "Genetic Counseling: Career for the Future" which is meant for prospective students.  I think I've learned more about genetic counseling through this course than I did through shadowing.  If you take this course, I bet they'd overlook the lack of shadowing.

@hopetobeGC Are you talking about the UNC Greensboro program by chance? If so, I highly recommend calling them and asking. They may be lenient if you explain that you took the course in advance of them changing the requirement and offer to send a syllabus and potentially a letter from the professor. It won't hurt to ask! If it is the UNC Greensboro program, I would be interested in knowing what you hear back.

Edited by WFUGC

18 hours ago, GC12018 said:

Sorry if I'm flooding this forum with all my questions! But does anyone have a contact email for the Arcadia program? I can't seem to find anything but a phone number on the website. 

I just went to the faculty page on the Arcadia GC website and e-mailed someone off that page

Hello again! I just wanted to ask you all what are your motivations for applying to programs that may not be close to home? Personally, I've never left my home state or have traveled much, so I am really apprehensive about applying to out-of-state programs. I know it's better to apply to more schools to increase your chances, but how do you all deal with being comfortable about applying somewhere you're not too familiar with. I tend to worry about little things like is the school safe, how am I going to get my car across the country, etc LOL. If anyone has any advice it'd be greatly appreciated!

12 minutes ago, GC12018 said:

Hello again! I just wanted to ask you all what are your motivations for applying to programs that may not be close to home? Personally, I've never left my home state or have traveled much, so I am really apprehensive about applying to out-of-state programs. I know it's better to apply to more schools to increase your chances, but how do you all deal with being comfortable about applying somewhere you're not too familiar with. I tend to worry about little things like is the school safe, how am I going to get my car across the country, etc LOL. If anyone has any advice it'd be greatly appreciated!

I'm planning to make a road trip out of moving to the new school.  That way instead of being nervous about going somewhere new, I'm excited about all of the sites I'm going to see.  This also means that I'm going to have my car with me when I get there.

There's only one program close to me, so I figure I'm most likely going to end up somewhere far from home.  There's no real motivation, just that it's the only way that I can become a Genetic Counselor.  It's okay to be worried about things like how safe the program is and how you'll get your car there.  Those are definitely good things to consider when deciding which schools to apply to.  If you live on the East Coast, then maybe going to a program in California isn't too feasible because that's a really tough road trip.  Maybe you don't want to go to a school that's in a big city, because it's not as safe.  Those are all great things to consider.  It's tough to narrow your choices down, so sometimes you just have to go with your feelings about a particular city.  I also looked into how much a plane ticket home would cost.  If one school is going to cost me $700 to fly home plus a long train ride, but another is only going to cost me $250 and it's direct, then I probably want to go to the one that's cheaper and more direct.

2 hours ago, GC12018 said:

There are only 2 schools in my state so the main reason i'm applying out of state is to increase my chances! But i've also managed to save a lot of $$$ as an undergrad by living at home and commuting to school and I kind of want to move out bc i've been living in the same place my whole life. I'm not really worried about school safety as most GC programs are on medical campuses which have a lot of security and in general, university campuses tend to be safer than the surrounding city. Also i'm not really sure if I'd even take my car with me to grad school. I hate city driving (cant parallel park for my life) and gas+parking tends to be expensive. I had the opportunity to talk to an international GC student who goes to Cincinnati and they said they were doing just fine without a car because living in a city, everything is right there and public transportation is good. 

My biggest fear for leaving the state is how much it will cost but I'm hoping that if I get accepted I'll also be able to secure a GA or research assistant job and those usually cover tuition. I feel like I'm getting ahead of myself though because I don't even think I'll get in this cycle :unsure: 

3 hours ago, GC12018 said:

@GC12018 I'm applying out of state to increase my chances, and I will do what it takes to be a GC! I've been to other countries for weeks/months at a time so going somewhere new doesn't really phase me, I actually really enjoy exploring new places. I do also have a slight crutch in the fact that my significant other and two dogs will be moving with me, so I know that I won't be completely alone. My S/O has lived in multiple states growing up, so he also isn't super phased by going somewhere new. He said I should apply to "warm places that don't have winter" as he states it, lol. And even if I end up not being totally in love with the city I move to, I will just remind myself that it is only 2 years of my life!

On 10/4/2017 at 12:54 PM, TAGC said:

Has anyone started the application for the University of Colorado - Denver?

I started their application first to see what their admission questions were since the brochure says that the application will have "several list and essay questions addressing your past achievements, past experience relevant to your proposed study in the field of genetic counseling, and future plans for graduate study and a professional career in genetic counseling."  Then it goes on to say "Do not substitute a previously prepared standard “personal statement” document in place of these individual essay questions, as each is asking you for somewhat different information.  Together, your responses to all of these questions constitute your personal statement to the Admissions Committee."  But in the application there's just a section for uploading the personal statement that says "Describe your motivation and plans for graduate study and a professional career, and discuss how this program will contribute to them."

I'm worried that this might be the generic graduate school application instructions and I'm missing the list of questions from somewhere else in the application.  Has anyone else come across this?

On 10/5/2017 at 11:58 AM, AspiringGC said:

I sent this email last year "I am currently working on my Genetic Counseling application for the Fall 2017 admission; however I am having issues finding the essay questions that will be used for the Personal Statement as noted in the Genetic Counseling Brochure. Could you point me in the right direction for these questions? I did notice that the brochure is from 2004, has this requirement changed?"

To which I got a response of "The personal statement information is explained in the application itself. The brochure is up to date, for some reason the Tab description is wrong."

Honestly didn't help me much, but it's the response I got. 

I recently asked a similar question and got a response "Generally these are both presented in narrative form. One as a statement of purpose, one as a discussion of past work. How you organize that is up to you. There is no word count or page limit. Generally, they are about a page or two long each." 

Hope that helps others as well!

Does anyone have recommendations on how to best study for the GRE? Or advice on what helped you score well? I am especially struggling with the quantitative portion. My worst fear is that I will score less than 50th percentile in that section. I am currently using Magoosh and Manhattan 5lbs but I feel they might not help. Magoosh math questions seem really hard so I feel lost. I really don't want the GRE to be the thing that keeps me away from GC school. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated! 

Edited by GCLois

1 hour ago, GCLois said:

Does anyone have recommendations on how to best study for the GRE? Or advice on what helped you score well? I am especially struggling with the quantitative portion. My worst fear is that I will score less than 50th percentile in that section. I am currently using Magoosh and Manhattan 5lbs but I feel they might not help. Magoosh math questions seem really hard so I feel lost. I really don't want the GRE to be the thing that keeps me away from GC school. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated! 

I also used magoosh and manhattan prep and i think they helped me a lot! I would suggest watching a bunch of magoosh math videos each day (i watched them on 1.5x speed cause the guy talked too slow for me lol) and taking notes, then applying these concepts to their practice problems and MP practice problems. Magoosh problems are a lot harder than the actual GRE but they adjust for that in their score predictor. My quant prediction was between 152-157 and i scored 154 on all 3 practice tests i took on there and got 157 on the real thing (still not a great score but the best i was ever going to do lol). Magoosh's strong point was their videos imo so take advantage of them and take practice tests on there bc this will make their score predictor more accurate. Also keep in mind that you'll probably do better on the real thing! Good luck! I was also stressed about the math part but practice helped me at least feel a little more confident.

On 10/17/2017 at 3:45 PM, hfj23 said:

Am I the only one having trouble accessing Cincinnati's genetic counseling website? (not the application the actual webpage for the program)

I am too! Also, do we need to do a video essay?

Edited by lchurchi

16 hours ago, lchurchi said:

I am too! Also, do we need to do a video essay?

This is their new website: https://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/education/clinical/graduate/grad/genetic-counseling

I emailed the program and they said 

"Doing the video is optional, but if you would like to sell yourself (you only get three tries)…practice and go for it!"

So i'm probably going to do it because i really want to at least get an interview but it's definitely not required. 

On October 20, 2017 at 5:39 PM, KCGC said:

I recently asked a similar question and got a response "Generally these are both presented in narrative form. One as a statement of purpose, one as a discussion of past work. How you organize that is up to you. There is no word count or page limit. Generally, they are about a page or two long each." 

Hope that helps others as well!

Thank you! I'm a little bit nervous about Colorado because they require international students to submit a month early.  I'm feeling less prepared than I had anticipated.

On 10/21/2017 at 3:03 PM, hfj23 said:

I also used magoosh and manhattan prep and i think they helped me a lot! I would suggest watching a bunch of magoosh math videos each day (i watched them on 1.5x speed cause the guy talked too slow for me lol) and taking notes, then applying these concepts to their practice problems and MP practice problems. Magoosh problems are a lot harder than the actual GRE but they adjust for that in their score predictor. My quant prediction was between 152-157 and i scored 154 on all 3 practice tests i took on there and got 157 on the real thing (still not a great score but the best i was ever going to do lol). Magoosh's strong point was their videos imo so take advantage of them and take practice tests on there bc this will make their score predictor more accurate. Also keep in mind that you'll probably do better on the real thing! Good luck! I was also stressed about the math part but practice helped me at least feel a little more confident.

Thank you so much for the advice! I will keep using Magoosh and Manhattan and just hope for the best.