Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

Guys, help me out. I'm totally freaking out about the GRE. I've studied but I still feel unprepared. I dropped out of high school when I was younger, so I literally skipped high school math. When I went into undergrad, I took exams that got me into upper math classes and I went from there. But those easy formulas with lines and geometry I'm having a hard time remembering b/c I just didn't use them.

Anyway, now that I've ranted... I'm just curious if your if experience with the GRE (if you've taken it) was good or bad, and if the practice tests were pretty close to the actual exam? Did you have to retake it?   Any advice? 

Thanks!

23 hours ago, GCBrittany said:

Guys, help me out. I'm totally freaking out about the GRE. I've studied but I still feel unprepared. I dropped out of high school when I was younger, so I literally skipped high school math. When I went into undergrad, I took exams that got me into upper math classes and I went from there. But those easy formulas with lines and geometry I'm having a hard time remembering b/c I just didn't use them.

Anyway, now that I've ranted... I'm just curious if your if experience with the GRE (if you've taken it) was good or bad, and if the practice tests were pretty close to the actual exam? Did you have to retake it?   Any advice? 

Thanks!

The free GRE powerprep practice tests that you get when you register for it were most helpful in predicting my score but overall I did better on the real thing than on any practice test (i also took magoosh practice tests). I wouldn't call my experience good because I have major standardized test anxiety but I got the scores I wanted on my first try although I studied about 6-7 hours a day for it and memorized all of those geometry formulas by practicing a lot. Honestly once you get it over with you'll feel soooo much better so just work hard now and it will pay off! Good luck!! 

Hi everyone-I'm running into a bit of trouble finding one of my last needed pre-reqs. I hope someone here can help!

I'm looking for an online biochemistry course, for credit naturally, that I can take during the summer semester. I also need it to not require two semesters of organic chemistry as a pre-req (I've only taken one). Does anyone have any suggestions? I've seen the Berkeley extension suggested, but I've also read some very negative reviews of that course.

Thanks for any help!

7 minutes ago, freckledgenes said:

Hi everyone-I'm running into a bit of trouble finding one of my last needed pre-reqs. I hope someone here can help!

I'm looking for an online biochemistry course, for credit naturally, that I can take during the summer semester. I also need it to not require two semesters of organic chemistry as a pre-req (I've only taken one). Does anyone have any suggestions? I've seen the Berkeley extension suggested, but I've also read some very negative reviews of that course.

Thanks for any help!

I’m taking one at UCSD extension starting January. Can’t remember if it’s one or two I Chem required before but I didn’t have to send transcripts or anything to sign up for mine. I have seen good reviews for the UCSD course and it was a 1/3 the price of the one available at my university. But I guess on that note UofArizona should have an online biochem over the summer if you apply as a non degree seeking student that would be online as well

Edited by AspiringGC

On 10/9/2017 at 4:34 PM, Blizzard said:

Elaborate on this! I'm so curious now!

That’s all I really know about it at this point but can update later if I find out more! Last I spoke to them they were trying figuring out how they wanted to do the rotations. 

20 hours ago, AspiringGC said:

I’m taking one at UCSD extension starting January. Can’t remember if it’s one or two I Chem required before but I didn’t have to send transcripts or anything to sign up for mine. I have seen good reviews for the UCSD course and it was a 1/3 the price of the one available at my university. But I guess on that note UofArizona should have an online biochem over the summer if you apply as a non degree seeking student that would be online as well

19 hours ago, GCApp1522 said:

The University of New England also offers one online, at your own pace.

Thanks! I hope these would be acceptable to admissions committees-I will likely check with them before I start. I do really like the idea of going more at my own pace, and/or starting at an odd time (perhaps mid-semester)!

2 hours ago, katiespencer said:

Hey everyone!

How are you guys listing classes on your CV, like prereqs? I was listing them out but it looks so bad...

Are we supposed to list pre-reqs or does it depend on the school? Because when i asked the Michigan director about it she said we don't need to bc they will see our transcript

4 hours ago, katiespencer said:

Hey everyone!

How are you guys listing classes on your CV, like prereqs? I was listing them out but it looks so bad...

Most programs don't require you to list your pre-req. courses in your resume/CV unless they specifically ask in the resume directions as seen with North Carolina for example. Most programs look at your transcripts as others stated. The programs that specifically require you to state the grades for pre-reqs. include a spot in the applications not resumes. 

4 hours ago, lchurchi said:

Some ask for you to list them like Northwestern, Wisconsin, and OSU, while most just look at your transcript.

You mean we just list them on the application not on the CV right? Bc NW has that supplemental form and OSU has a spot to specifically enter them. So I'm not even putting pre reqs on my CV unless I hear otherwise..

On 10/23/2017 at 5:33 PM, GCBrittany said:

Thanks!

I found the Kaplan online system to be VERY helpful. Since my test as going to be on the computer, it was good to practice that. It took some time to get used to not being able to write on the test (for me at least). After you take a practice test, they will identify where you need help.

Best of luck!

Edited by katiespencer

Looks like the Arizona app is completely up and running now :)

Does anyone know if you have to submit the application for UAMS before the recommendation emails are sent out?? I'm stressing since this is the first one of my apps due, but I feel like I need to submit it by mid-November so there's enough time for my recommenders to receive the email and then turn in the letter... I'm not even close to being done with my PS which is always the last thing I finish before submitting. ughhh

5 hours ago, AspiringGC said:

Looks like the Arizona app is completely up and running now :)

Does anyone know if you have to submit the application for UAMS before the recommendation emails are sent out?? I'm stressing since this is the first one of my apps due, but I feel like I need to submit it by mid-November so there's enough time for my recommenders to receive the email and then turn in the letter... I'm not even close to being done with my PS which is always the last thing I finish before submitting. ughhh

I was wondering the same thing about Baylor actually.

On 10/18/2017 at 9:01 AM, hopetobeGC said:

@WFUGC yep, UNC Greensboro! I will shoot them an email and see what they say. 

Hey @WFUGC, I emailed and they responded asking if I had taken organic even though my biochem class didn't require it. I said no, explained how I flip-flopped majors during undergrad did a little elevator pitch about myself and what led me to GC. No response. That was Wednesday. I'll give them a few more days, but not looking promising. 

A couple of the schools I'm applying to have a section on the applications called "experiences," where we're meant to enter certain types of experiences, like research, employment, etc. Does anyone know if this is necessary to fill in even though they're requiring a CV? It's super repetitive, but I guess so is the "transcript entry" that some schools require. 

13 hours ago, trp111 said:

A couple of the schools I'm applying to have a section on the applications called "experiences," where we're meant to enter certain types of experiences, like research, employment, etc. Does anyone know if this is necessary to fill in even though they're requiring a CV? It's super repetitive, but I guess so is the "transcript entry" that some schools require. 

Are you talking about the SOPHAS schools? I'm applying to Johns Hopkins through there and I emailed the director about that so I can let you know if thats the school you're applying to 

People applying to Stanford- in the academic interests and specialization section of the application (page 6) are you leaving it blank? I am fairly positive that the program does not offer Academic Interest choices, and the only thing I can think of to put would be pediatric, prenatal, cancer etc. I think it should just be left blank, but I wanted to check and see what other people are doing.

4 hours ago, WFUGC said:

People applying to Stanford- in the academic interests and specialization section of the application (page 6) are you leaving it blank? I am fairly positive that the program does not offer Academic Interest choices, and the only thing I can think of to put would be pediatric, prenatal, cancer etc. I think it should just be left blank, but I wanted to check and see what other people are doing.

I am going to leave it blank. I assumed the section is meant for PhD or other grad students.

On 10/27/2017 at 9:04 PM, trp111 said:

I was wondering the same thing about Baylor actually.

I just submitted my recommenders for Baylor and there's a check box once you do that says "Contact and waive rights" so I think the emails do get sent out once saved. I'm gonna try to check with the genetic counselor who is writing me a letter on Monday to see if she received an email from UAMS and Baylor and will update on what she says :)

On 10/31/2017 at 7:28 PM, AspiringGC said:

I just submitted my recommenders for Baylor and there's a check box once you do that says "Contact and waive rights" so I think the emails do get sent out once saved. I'm gonna try to check with the genetic counselor who is writing me a letter on Monday to see if she received an email from UAMS and Baylor and will update on what she says :)

My writers said they didn't receive from Baylor so I think it may be after we submit. Please let me know if you find out something different!

Hey! I'm currently taking some prereqs this semester, however, the grades will not be in by the application due date. Is anyone in this predicament? Should I send my transcript without the grades or wait until after? I might email the programs, but figured I would see if anyone else did first. Thanks!

51 minutes ago, katiespencer said:

Hey! I'm currently taking some prereqs this semester, however, the grades will not be in by the application due date. Is anyone in this predicament? Should I send my transcript without the grades or wait until after? I might email the programs, but figured I would see if anyone else did first. Thanks!

@katiespencer it's pretty common for applicants to be in that situation! Most schools will tell you to send your official transcripts without the grades, as they will still show that you are taking the class. Then once you get your grades, you can send them an unofficial copy that has the grades reported (it's nice of them to save us from paying twice).

41 minutes ago, Nefelibata said:

@katiespencer it's pretty common for applicants to be in that situation! Most schools will tell you to send your official transcripts without the grades, as they will still show that you are taking the class. Then once you get your grades, you can send them an unofficial copy that has the grades reported (it's nice of them to save us from paying twice).

Thanks so much! I feel better knowing it is not just me!