Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

Are you guys doing anything nice for your recommenders? A simple "thank you" just seems so inadequate for all of the work they put in to write letters, review CVs/personal statements, etc. Just wondered if anyone was planning to give little gifts or handwrite a note. :)

1 hour ago, hopetobeGC said:

Are you guys doing anything nice for your recommenders? A simple "thank you" just seems so inadequate for all of the work they put in to write letters, review CVs/personal statements, etc. Just wondered if anyone was planning to give little gifts or handwrite a note. :)

I am planning small gifts (probably a few handmade ones!) and a handwritten note of appreciation!

2 hours ago, hopetobeGC said:

I think I'll be making small little gifts. One of  writers and I always drink a cup of tea with honey when I come to her office. So for her, I'm going to get a nice mug, a box of tea she likes and some local AZ honey with a handwritten card. I might do a local products "basket" for my other writer who just moved to SoCal: ground coffee from his favorite local coffee shop, local AZ honey (I really like our honey lol), a handwritten note, and maybe a locally made candle to remind him of home.  Not planning to spend more than $20 each, hopefully closer to $10-15 though

People applying to the University of Texas program: are we not required to send transcripts? I don't see an address/email to send them on their program website, and the application has us upload unofficial transcripts. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything!

56 minutes ago, GCEZ said:

People applying to the University of Texas program: are we not required to send transcripts? I don't see an address/email to send them on their program website, and the application has us upload unofficial transcripts. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything!

Yeah they are not required unless you get an interview I believe!

8 hours ago, GCEZ said:

I emailed to ask but haven't heard back yet. I assume not though since there's no information for it!

On 11/22/2017 at 5:49 PM, GCEZ said:

Hi applicants!!

Just to confirm, this is correct. No official transcripts are required to apply but if you are selected for an interview, you will be required to send them prior to your interview.

Also wanted to wish you all good luck during this application cycle! I'm a current University of Texas student so if you have any questions at all, feel free to ask! I know how tough the application process is and how much I valued having people to ask questions. So no matter how big or small your questions, don't be afraid to ask. I also highly recommend contacting a current student at each school you're considering applying to just to get a feel for it!

Good luck everyone!!

Edited by GCInTraining

Hey all!

First time applicant here and I'm freaking out about this process. Can someone tell me how I can better my application besides doing crisis counseling (which I'm trying to line up)

I graduated in biology 2017 with a cumulative GPA 3.5. I did 1 year of research with a professor and TA for physiology. I did the GC internship with Northwestern which is why I decided to apply to GC school. GRE scores 86 V  55Q.

Currently, I'm taking biochem and statistics to fulfill prereqs but I'm very likely to get an F in biochem. If I don't get an F, it'll be a D.  What should I do about this biochem dilemma? Do most people pass in the first go-round? Btw, I'm applying to LIU Post, Mt. Sinai, Rutgers and Northwestern. 

Thanks!

30 minutes ago, dc2588 said:

Hey all!

First time applicant here and I'm freaking out about this process. Can someone tell me how I can better my application besides doing crisis counseling (which I'm trying to line up)

I graduated in biology 2017 with a cumulative GPA 3.5. I did 1 year of research with a professor and TA for physiology. I did the GC internship with Northwestern which is why I decided to apply to GC school. GRE scores 86 V  55Q.

Currently, I'm taking biochem and statistics to fulfill prereqs but I'm very likely to get an F in biochem. If I don't get an F, it'll be a D.  What should I do about this biochem dilemma? Do most people pass in the first go-round? Btw, I'm applying to LIU Post, Mt. Sinai, Rutgers and Northwestern. 

Thanks!

Are you applying this cycle? Because if so, I don't think your chances are great if you don't have the crisis counseling experience yet because I've heard that it's a really important component! I might be wrong but at both open houses I went to, they emphasized this (but the school you're applying to might be different, I went to Michigan and Wayne State's open houses). 

As for biochem, I did do fine when I took it, but it was definitely a lot of work! Maybe you can take it at a community college or somewhere it might be easier? If I were you I would wait a year to get counseling experience and do better in biochem or I would apply to more schools to increase the chances of getting an interview! I'm also a first time applicant, but I see how competitive it is to get in /: I think your NW internship might help you a lot though! Good luck! 

1 hour ago, dc2588 said:

Hey all!

Thanks!

I’m a second round applicant just for an idea. I received a C the first time I took Biochem. I’m taking it again starting in January, but it will not look favorable for you to have a D or F in this class. Even my C was an issue for me. I’m not sure if biochem is a pre-req at any of the schools you’re applying to, but without at least a C, this might disqualify you for acceptance.

Do you have any other GC exposure besides the internship? Any other volunteer experience? This can help “supplement” a lack of advocacy, but as stated above this is a huge component and the more you have, the better.

I wasn’t up to par when I applied last year and I do suggest still applying this year because you never know what will happen. But even if you end up having to apply a second year, having an understanding of the application process and being able to ask program directors on how you can improve your application makes it a lot easier the second time around. 

1 hour ago, AspiringGC said:

I’m a second round applicant just for an idea. I received a C the first time I took Biochem. I’m taking it again starting in January, but it will not look favorable for you to have a D or F in this class. Even my C was an issue for me. I’m not sure if biochem is a pre-req at any of the schools you’re applying to, but without at least a C, this might disqualify you for acceptance.

Do you have any other GC exposure besides the internship? Any other volunteer experience? This can help “supplement” a lack of advocacy, but as stated above this is a huge component and the more you have, the better.

I wasn’t up to par when I applied last year and I do suggest still applying this year because you never know what will happen. But even if you end up having to apply a second year, having an understanding of the application process and being able to ask program directors on how you can improve your application makes it a lot easier the second time around. 

Okay, it sounds like I need to mentally prepare myself to be a second round applicant. I'm planning on taking an easier biochem this January. I'm concerned that I have an F in biochem and I have another biochem class pending and grades won't come out until May. 

What else did you change for your second round apps? Are you also working FT? If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? How many schools did you apply to the first time? Second time? Thanks for indulging my questions!

1 hour ago, dc2588 said:

Okay, it sounds like I need to mentally prepare myself to be a second round applicant. I'm planning on taking an easier biochem this January. I'm concerned that I have an F in biochem and I have another biochem class pending and grades won't come out until May. 

What else did you change for your second round apps? Are you also working FT? If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? How many schools did you apply to the first time? Second time? Thanks for indulging my questions!

I am also a second round applicant, I can tell you a little about my experience. Last year I applied to 3 schools and interviewed at one. The two schools I did not receive interviews at both said I needed a B or better in Biochem because it was a pre req (I had a C). They also said I should have a more "traditional" advocacy experience, like crisis counseling. I graduated in 2016 and have been working full time since. Since applying last year I have retaken biochem and have been volunteering for a crisis line since July. This time I am applying to 10 schools. As for stats, my overall GPA is 3.24 and my GRE percentiles are 79, 60, and 56, which the 3 schools I applied to last year said were all fine. 

You mentioned you were also taking statistics. If that is this semester, that's fine, but if you aren't taking it until spring along with your second biochem, I would look closely at schools' requirements. Most schools will only allow you to have one pre req class "in progress" during spring semester. Also, if there were extenuating circumstances that contributed to your F/D in biochem, that would definitely be something to mention on your personal statement and may still put you under consideration if your other pre req grades are good. 

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if Alabama also does not need official transcripts/GRE scores sent in? It says on the application "Official test scores must be sent to the UAB Graduate school; however we will accept a copy of your test score report as unofficial for the application review process". Does that sounds like they do not need official reports until interviews?

8 hours ago, dc2588 said:

Do you have the option to withdraw from this biochem course? If you're already plan to take it again, might as well withdraw instead of have the D/F on your record. I'm taking my biochem class at UCSD Extension. It's online and starts in January, ends in March. This is the best I could get because they cancelled the class I was planning to take that started in October and ended in December. 

I've been working full time right since graduating in May with a Molecular & Cellular Biology degree. I'm basically a scheduler/recruiter for a home care agency, but my title is much fancier lol. It's given me good experience interacting with clients/patients, I've gotten to learn a bit about insurance and billing, and I work with an elderly population so I get a lot of exposure to dementia/Alzheimer's which is slightly genetics related. Aside from that, I now volunteer 4 hours/week at the local cancer center with 2 cancer GCs. I prep patient files, do organizational tasks, draw some pedigrees, and shadow when there are appointments. They've started having me do mock case preps which we'll do in grad school. So I basically I outline how a session would go, what I would want to talk about etc. I also took a neurogenetics class through UCincinnati and got a B in that as a way to gain a bit more insight into the field. 

I applied to 8 schools last year. Did not get a single interview (largely due to lack of experience, pre-req grades, and schools wanted some better advocacy experience). I'm applying to 8 again this year, 5 of which are the same, 3 new. When I applied the first time, I had a cumm. GPA of 3.29 and my GRE stats were: 80/76 V, 51/56 Q, 60 AW. My overall GPA went up to a 3.36, last 60 units GPA is closer to a 3.8. I did not retake the GRE as most school said my scores were fine. I still think I could use better advocacy experience, but I'm juggling so much as it is, I couldn't imagine adding on more commitments. I don't think I'm an all star applicant, but I have improved tremendously since last year. (Also one director told me not being right out of undergrad is a plus and applying a second time shows dedication/commitment, so always a plus!) 

Does anyone know if universities take the best scores from each section from the GRE if you take it multiple times or if they take all of the sections from one test date? Also, it is okay to send multiple GRE scores to schools? 

Thanks!

10 hours ago, bryvy said:

Does anyone know if universities take the best scores from each section from the GRE if you take it multiple times or if they take all of the sections from one test date? Also, it is okay to send multiple GRE scores to schools? 

Thanks!

I think that depends on the program. I know a few that specifically state they will take your best scores across multiple GRE's, but I don't know if all do that. Would be a good question to email a program and ask.

Just a heads-up, UC-Denver just changed one of their essay requirements today.  Earlier this afternoon the description under the past work tab was "Describe your professional and academic laboratory and/or research experiences from start of undergraduate work to present."  I was about to upload my finished application when I noticed that the description was changed to "Describe your preparation and experience relevant to your proposed graduate field of genetic counseling.  Please include course and non-course educational experiences, volunteer/advocacy and counseling experiences, teaching, laboratory or clinical research experience (including capstone, thesis, publications), and other relevant employment, scholarly or career exploration activities."

For most people the application is due on January 1st, so it might not affect people.  I'm an international applicant, so the material is due December 1st.  I've just e-mailed them asking if they're giving any lee-way to the deadline considering this change was made 2 days before it was due.

3 hours ago, TAGC said:

Just a heads-up, UC-Denver just changed one of their essay requirements today.  Earlier this afternoon the description under the past work tab was "Describe your professional and academic laboratory and/or research experiences from start of undergraduate work to present."  I was about to upload my finished application when I noticed that the description was changed to "Describe your preparation and experience relevant to your proposed graduate field of genetic counseling.  Please include course and non-course educational experiences, volunteer/advocacy and counseling experiences, teaching, laboratory or clinical research experience (including capstone, thesis, publications), and other relevant employment, scholarly or career exploration activities."

For most people the application is due on January 1st, so it might not affect people.  I'm an international applicant, so the material is due December 1st.  I've just e-mailed them asking if they're giving any lee-way to the deadline considering this change was made 2 days before it was due.

No!!!! I have already submitted my application. This is so frustrating. 

8 hours ago, GeneDawg said:

No!!!! I have already submitted my application. This is so frustrating. 

I had the feeling that a lot of people might be in the same boat.  I double checked the essay question yesterday at 1pm EST so that I could format my final essay and it was the original question, then when I went to submit it at around 8pm EST the question had changed, so this was definitely done yesterday.  When I e-mailed the graduate admissions I got an automatic reply saying that it takes 3-5 days for them to respond, which is after the International deadline.  I think I might contact the program director if I don't hear back from them by the end of the day.

1 hour ago, TAGC said:

I had the feeling that a lot of people might be in the same boat.  I double checked the essay question yesterday at 1pm EST so that I could format my final essay and it was the original question, then when I went to submit it at around 8pm EST the question had changed, so this was definitely done yesterday.  When I e-mailed the graduate admissions I got an automatic reply saying that it takes 3-5 days for them to respond, which is after the International deadline.  I think I might contact the program director if I don't hear back from them by the end of the day.

I feel like that is very unfair to penalize those who have submitted early and/or have the earlier submital date. 

You would probably be fine to submit based on the old essay to have your application in on time. But I think your plan of action is good, fingers crossed they’re understanding of this change!

Definitely a hard question to answer as there are tons of variables in play, but does anyone have an idea of what percentage of all unique applicants get accepted into a program?