Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

53 minutes ago, kbs12 said:

Just to clarify, is it expected we submit fall 2017 transcript updates to all schools? This past semester wasn't the best for me, and I totally understand if that's the expectation, but also am worried about these grades and I wouldn't want to send them if I didn't have to  :\ 

Thanks!

I submitted my apps to OSU and CWRU w/o the transcript from this semester and they haven't asked for it yet but Indiana U has, so it depends on the school I think. Like what AspiringGC said, you'll definitely need to submit it if there are any pre-reqs but if not you can probably hurry up and submit it before the semester ends lol. I'm in the opposite situation because I'm doing well and so I'm waiting for the semester to end before submitting my remaining apps and sending the transcript. 

On an unrelated note..according to the results from last year OSU started calling people for interviews around this time and I'm sad I haven't been called yet. Has anyone who applied for the 12/1 deadline heard anything? 

Edited by hfj23

2 hours ago, hfj23 said:

I submitted my apps to OSU and CWRU w/o the transcript from this semester and they haven't asked for it yet but Indiana U has, so it depends on the school I think. Like what AspiringGC said, you'll definitely need to submit it if there are any pre-reqs but if not you can probably hurry up and submit it before the semester ends lol. I'm in the opposite situation because I'm doing well and so I'm waiting for the semester to end before submitting my remaining apps and sending the transcript. 

On an unrelated note..according to the results from last year OSU started calling people for interviews around this time and I'm sad I haven't been called yet. Has anyone who applied for the 12/1 deadline heard anything? 

Looks like someone just posted that they did get a call from them today.. Not sure if that was you or someone else, but you definitely still have time as they invited people to interviews in February as well. 

1 hour ago, AspiringGC said:

Looks like someone just posted that they did get a call from them today.. Not sure if that was you or someone else, but you definitely still have time as they invited people to interviews in February as well. 

Not me :( I wish though!! Last year they seemed to have started on 12/16 so I've been staring at my phone. February seems so far away  /:

9 minutes ago, Rosie414 said:

Just out of curiosity, where did you look to see if anyone had gotten a call from OSU?

Results tab at the top of this page, and you can just search for genetic counseling 

8 minutes ago, Rosie414 said:

Just out of curiosity, where did you look to see if anyone had gotten a call from OSU?

If you go to the Results tab at the top you can hit Results Search and then type in genetic counseling. This link will take you straight there: https://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=genetic+counseling&t=a&o=&pp=250 I
It's also nice as some people are kind enough to put in their stats so you can (cautiously) compare yourself to those who were given interviews/those accepted to see where you stand on the GPA/GRE score side of things. But we all know that a variety of factors go into decisions on those things, blah, blah, blah :rolleyes:

There people update information about interview invites, waitlists, acceptances etc. It's likely more useful for some programs that don't have a universal acceptance day, but very informative come when more interview invites start to happen as you can see which schools have sent out invites and kind of gauge whether you should be hearing from them soon or cross them off the list.

On 12/16/2017 at 1:43 AM, Brifeir said:

Quick question: for those who already submitted apps but need to submit their fall 2017 transcripts- how are you going about to do so? Any info on Boston U, Brandeis, Indiana U, Mt Sinai, Arcadia, UTHealt, or VCU would be great. Should I just email each school and see what they prefer?

I read on both UThealth and VCU that unofficial transcripts are fine until prompted further. In the VCU application, its in the "application instructions" tab within the applyyourself application.
VCU: "Unofficial uploaded transcripts are strongly encouraged for admissions purposesIf admitted a final official transcript with latest degree must be sent."

In UTHealth it was listed under requirements and instructions for applying to the GSBS school.
UTHealth: "You will need to upload copies of your transcript and test scores via the online application system. Once we complete the preliminary admissions process, we will contact you directly to request official documents if needed."

For the other schools you may just have to email, or dig a little further. I, of course, already sent my transcript to VCU before finding that. lol So that's awesome for my bank account.

Edited by NewAtThis

Also, it has been a long time since I have applied to schools. Should I be applying to FAFSA before even knowing if I am getting an interview? Is there a "pending acceptance" status or something? I just don't want to fill out my FAFSA in May when all the money has been given away.

49 minutes ago, NewAtThis said:

Also, it has been a long time since I have applied to schools. Should I be applying to FAFSA before even knowing if I am getting an interview? Is there a "pending acceptance" status or something? I just don't want to fill out my FAFSA in May when all the money has been given away.

You should still apply for FAFSA before you know you are admitted

From a FAFSA related blog post:

"Even if there is only a slight chance you’ll apply to a college, list the school on your FAFSA form. You can always remove schools later if you decide not to apply, but if you wait to add a school, you could miss out on first-come, first-served financial aid." 

"If you add a school to your FAFSA form and later decide not to apply for admission to that school, that’s OK! The school likely won’t offer you aid until you’ve been accepted anyway."

17 hours ago, hfj23 said:

Sooo I just got a call from OSU!! I was so happy when I saw a call coming from Ohio lol. Let me know if any of you are also going down there for an interview, and maybe we can PM about it. I'm still in a state of shock! 

Congrats to you! 

I don't know if this makes me feel better or worse--I submitted my application before December 1st, but I got an email last week saying my application was still "incomplete" (FALSE--they had all my transcripts, the grad admissions office just hadn't marked it in the system!) which wasn't resolved until I called Monday. Probably just shot myself in the foot really good for a chance at an interview.

I figure they probably interview 40. I also am going to take a wild ballpark guess and say that only maybe 25% of applicants know about this forum and are reporting their results on the spreadsheet. So if that's the case, they probably called 16 or so people yesterday for interview invitations. That leaves everyone else left for the second string round of calls 24 spots. 

1 hour ago, NewAtThis said:

In UTHealth it was listed under requirements and instructions for applying to the GSBS school.
UTHealth: "
You will need to upload copies of your transcript and test scores via the online application system. Once we complete the preliminary admissions process, we will contact you directly to request official documents if needed."

For the other schools you may just have to email, or dig a little further. I, of course, already sent my transcript to VCU before finding that. lol So that's awesome for my bank account.

I called UTHealth about this very topic yesterday. Was told unofficials are fine during the application process, officials will be needed after interviews. Additionally, if anyone was wondering, she checked with the graduate school and was told your recommenders will be sent the link as soon as you submit their names, not the application (makes me happy!)

On 12/17/2017 at 1:59 PM, LauraT said:

IS ANYONE ELSE BESIDES ME REALLY EXCITED ABOUT THIS?!!?!?!?

2 hours ago, NewAtThis said:

Yes I've already applied for FAFSA and added all 10 schools i'm applying to. Although I don't think MS students receive any good financial aid anyways, probably just loans /: 

1 hour ago, KCGC said:

You should still apply for FAFSA before you know you are admitted

From a FAFSA related blog post:

"Even if there is only a slight chance you’ll apply to a college, list the school on your FAFSA form. You can always remove schools later if you decide not to apply, but if you wait to add a school, you could miss out on first-come, first-served financial aid." 

"If you add a school to your FAFSA form and later decide not to apply for admission to that school, that’s OK! The school likely won’t offer you aid until you’ve been accepted anyway."

3 minutes ago, hfj23 said:

Yes I've already applied for FAFSA and added all 10 schools i'm applying to. Although I don't think MS students receive any good financial aid anyways, probably just loans /: 

Thank you both. These were really helpful. And you're probably right about "just loans." Helps ease my nerves anyway to know that I can start this soon. Thank you again.

1 hour ago, Blizzard said:

Congrats to you! 

I don't know if this makes me feel better or worse--I submitted my application before December 1st, but I got an email last week saying my application was still "incomplete" (FALSE--they had all my transcripts, the grad admissions office just hadn't marked it in the system!) which wasn't resolved until I called Monday. Probably just shot myself in the foot really good for a chance at an interview.

I figure they probably interview 40. I also am going to take a wild ballpark guess and say that only maybe 25% of applicants know about this forum and are reporting their results on the spreadsheet. So if that's the case, they probably called 16 or so people yesterday for interview invitations. That leaves everyone else left for the second string round of calls 24 spots. 

I actually had a similar problem, like I checked buckeyelink and they were saying they hadn't received my community college transcript even though I had sent it months ago so I emailed them around the end of November to check and they removed it from the to do list the next day! I have a feeling they're just swamped with stuff in grad admissions. That sucks that it took you out of the running for 12/1 though, just bc they didn't check /: 

Where are you getting the number 40 from? Is that how many they interviewed last year or is that how many people schools usually interview? 

1 hour ago, Blizzard said:

IS ANYONE ELSE BESIDES ME REALLY EXCITED ABOUT THIS?!!?!?!?

Dixie State is anticipating the first class to start Fall 2019. I'm always just excited about new programs as it opens up more and more spots for prospective students :)

Edited by AspiringGC

1 hour ago, hfj23 said:

I actually had a similar problem, like I checked buckeyelink and they were saying they hadn't received my community college transcript even though I had sent it months ago so I emailed them around the end of November to check and they removed it from the to do list the next day! I have a feeling they're just swamped with stuff in grad admissions. That sucks that it took you out of the running for 12/1 though, just bc they didn't check /: 

Where are you getting the number 40 from? Is that how many they interviewed last year or is that how many people schools usually interview? 

@hfj23 I believe they told students at interviews last year that was how many they interview. Someone made a spreadsheet last year with all the schools and how many they accept/interview based on what we learned while at interviews or what their website says.

I'm also in the pool of "my application is complete even though buckeyelink says otherwise". I submitted my transcripts over a month ago as well and got the notification when they downloaded them so I know they have them but my application status said they were missing when I checked today so I just emailed them.

Edited by Nefelibata

I am not prepared for this waiting period! :wacko: I have submitted all of my applications and I regret it. I want my applications back! I would rather be able to control it than have to sit back and wait with no control. LOL 

Does anyone else feel this way?

To be honest, I am not too confident that I will get interviews. But something in me has a glimmer of hope! That might be part of the feeling.

23 minutes ago, NewAtThis said:

I am not prepared for this waiting period! :wacko: I have submitted all of my applications and I regret it. I want my applications back! I would rather be able to control it than have to sit back and wait with no control. LOL 

Does anyone else feel this way?

To be honest, I am not too confident that I will get interviews. But something in me has a glimmer of hope! That might be part of the feeling.

This is exactly what I am feeling! Thank you for putting it into words!! We are in this together. Good luck!

1 hour ago, lchurchi said:

Does anyone know when most programs reach out for interviews? I have already heard from one about an interview, but I am curious about other programs ranging in the midwest. I am too impatient for this! 

Thank you all very much!

Was it Ohio state?! haha. Anyways, if you access the result sheet: https://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=genetic+counseling+ it gives you an idea when people have historically heard last year. We're still early on. You'll typically hear in January and February. Did you enter your results from the school you heard from? 

So I just submitted my app for John Hop through SOPHAS, and it sent me an email back saying that the application isn't complete until their system verifies all the transcript information (which if you've applied then you know you have to type every class in, even though we submit our transcripts to them), and this verification could take up to four weeks?! 

It says it should have been submitted at least four weeks before your deadline. 

Soooo, I'm just figuring this out now? Should I be worried? Has everyone else submitted theirs already? If you haven't, I'd recommend doing so now!  I only waited because the app fee is $135 and ya know, Christmas! 

9 hours ago, GC12018 said:

Just to clarify, although no acceptances are made before the Match date, will rejections still be sent out by schools we interviewed with before we have to rank?

We’ll still get rejections from schools that decide not to interview us, but once you interview all information will be provided on match. I don’t think we’ll even get an official “you’re rejected” from schools, we’ll get the school we got into or that we weren’t matched (meaning rejected/waitlisted and then no spot opened from all..)