Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

26 minutes ago, JN212 said:

I applied last year and this year as well. Everyone who applied for the fellowship application should have heard back by now. But, those of us who applied for the normal application that was due Dec. 31st will most likely not hear back until next week or the very end of Jan. 

Okay, thanks! I was starting to stress out.

I haven't heard from Brandeis yet, I kinda think no one has? I'm reapplying this year and trying hard not to be nervous about the fact that I haven't heard from Case Western or Emory yet despite both having made invites already. It's so stinking hard to predict anything, despite having improved my stats and experience I still don't feel confident since there are just so many of us that are so qualified that are applying and only so many spots. 

20 minutes ago, daisyhunter said:

I haven't heard from Brandeis yet, I kinda think no one has? I'm reapplying this year and trying hard not to be nervous about the fact that I haven't heard from Case Western or Emory yet despite both having made invites already. It's so stinking hard to predict anything, despite having improved my stats and experience I still don't feel confident since there are just so many of us that are so qualified that are applying and only so many spots. 

This is exactly how I feel as a second year applicant. I’ve done a decent amount, improved my app, but I’m still not confident. Wouldn’t even say I’m for sure getting in this cycle. I have this thought in my mind that I’ll only get two interviews out of the 8 schools (which I’d still be happy about) and how I’m going to have to super sell myself to get in. I can’t imagine doing this process a third time. 

I also think a majority of this forum (at least the active posters) are re-applicants which is reassuring to not feel like the only one. 

Anyone else started getting blanket "graduate school open house" or "check out our grad program" emails from the schools they applied to? I've gotten one from UNCG and one from VCU. Seeing the notification on my phone almost gives me a heart attack!!!! Don't they know we are barely holding on as it is?!?!

1 hour ago, lilmaz said:

Anyone else started getting blanket "graduate school open house" or "check out our grad program" emails from the schools they applied to? I've gotten one from UNCG and one from VCU. Seeing the notification on my phone almost gives me a heart attack!!!! Don't they know we are barely holding on as it is?!?!

I got the one from UNCG too and definitely had a mini heart attack until I realized it was just a mass email. They have to know how cruel it is to send emails like that during this time ?

Edited by ICGCDW

"It is Admissions season!! Members of the Leadership Team have been busy reviewing applications from a lot of qualified applicants and will be sending out invitations to interview by the end of this week."

Also the Brandeis University genetic counseling facebook page posted this today so it sounds kind of like we might have to wait until Friday to hear..

Last year Cincinnati sent interview invites around this time and rejections in early February so I've been feeling super anxious this week! If anyone hears anything please put it in the results so I know how to feel :unsure:

25 minutes ago, hfj23 said:

Last year Cincinnati sent interview invites around this time and rejections in early February so I've been feeling super anxious this week! If anyone hears anything please put it in the results so I know how to feel :unsure:

I know right! I have been checking my email thousand times a day this week :( 

Hokay, I finally got the courage (and patience) to make myself an account and join this forum. 

Second-time applying, this time I applied to 14 schools (thank you, Mom, for covering the application fees). My GPA is 3.10. I was a research assistant for 1.5 years during undergrad that primarily focused on dyslexia and other learning disabilities. I was a helpline intern for NEDA for almost a year AND I shadowed three different genetic counselors in cancer, prenatal and perinatal genetics.

I retook genetics because a lot of the schools suggested I do that to up my chances of getting invited for an interview (I got an A this time). I also did more shadowing for this year. I retook the GREs for the third time and got preeettyyy much the same score as both previous times ( V 150, Q 146) however my writing score went up to 4.5 which is way better than the last one. 

I am nervous, beyond belief. I thought applying to 14 schools would put me at ease but it hasn’t. I still haven’t heard a peep from any of the schools I applied to in December (USF-Tampa, UMichigan, UIndiana, Ohio State). Has anyone else?

I’m so glad this forum exists. Thanks for making this process more human for me.

Edited by AnonymousWalrus

16 hours ago, daisyhunter said:

Someone got an invite from Case last week, but I didn't get mine until this week, so they might be still sending out invites.

14 hours ago, AnonymousWalrus said:

Hokay, I finally got the courage (and patience) to make myself an account and join this forum. 

Second-time applying, this time I applied to 14 schools (thank you, Mom, for covering the application fees). My GPA is 3.10. I was a research assistant for 1.5 years during undergrad that primarily focused on dyslexia and other learning disabilities. I was a helpline intern for NEDA for almost a year AND I shadowed three different genetic counselors in cancer, prenatal and perinatal genetics.

I retook genetics because a lot of the schools suggested I do that to up my chances of getting invited for an interview (I got an A this time). I also did more shadowing for this year. I retook the GREs for the third time and got preeettyyy much the same score as both previous times ( V 150, Q 146) however my writing score went up to 4.5 which is way better than the last one. 

I am nervous, beyond belief. I thought applying to 14 schools would put me at ease but it hasn’t. I still haven’t heard a peep from any of the schools I applied to in December (USF-Tampa, UMichigan, UIndiana, Ohio State). Has anyone else?

I’m so glad this forum exists. Thanks for making this process more human for me.

Hello there fellow second time applicant. I am also very nervous this time around, more so than last time which is surprising me beyond belief. :) I do not know about the other schools that you mentioned but Ohio State will most likely not reply back for at least another week for those who applied for the Dec. 31st deadline. Indiana University is supposedly going to be sending out interview emails next Tuesday the 23rd. 

Edited by JN212

38 minutes ago, JN212 said:

Hello there fellow second time applicant. I am also very nervous this time around, more so than last time which is surprising me beyond belief. :) I do not know about the other schools that you mentioned but Ohio State will most likely not reply back for at least another week for those who applied for the Dec. 31st deadline. Indiana University is supposedly going to be sending out interview emails next Tuesday the 23rd. 

How do you find out this info? I’m checking my spam over and over in case I get anything. Oh, I also forgot to including UColorado. Haven’t heard from them either. 

Good luck to you! I hope you get in!

Peeps I made this info list for my universities from their respective websites about a month ago. So have a look at it and let me know if it's helpful or needs corrections (I don't know about some universities, so help me out with that)

University - notification dates - interview dates

Texas - Feb - 7,23,27,29 March & 6 April

Minnesota - Jan end - ?

Oklahoma - 2nd, 3rd weeks of Jan - ?

UBC - early to mid Feb - ?

Toronto - ? - March & April

Indiana - 23 Jan - Feb

Arcadia - mid Feb - late Feb to early April

Cincinnati - Feb, March - Feb to April

Virginia - mid Jan to Feb end - March

Wisconsin - ? - ?

Pittsburgh - late Jan to early March - Feb end to April 

:)

9 minutes ago, FutureGC7 said:

Peeps I made this info list for my universities from their respective websites about a month ago. So have a look at it and let me know if it's helpful or needs corrections (I don't know about some universities, so help me out with that)

Minnesota - Jan end - ?

Indiana - 23 Jan - Feb

Wisconsin - ? - ?

Indiana State University sent out an email this morning saying they will make selections for interviews towards the end of January. Interview dates will be Feb 21st, 24th, 28th, and March 3rd. 

Once again, email induced heart attack. I've instructed my husband to come on here and notify you all if I die of anticipation before  this is all over. 

@FutureGC7 Thanks for putting together that list.  I think UBC's interviews are the first week of March, and Toronto sends out their interview invites mid-February.  If Manitoba follows the same schedule this year as they did last year then they should be sending out invites mid-February for interviews in March & April.

25 minutes ago, FutureGC7 said:

Minnesota - Jan end - ?

Indiana - 23 Jan - Feb

Wisconsin - ? - ?

Wisconsin said we won't hear a peep until February.  But that is the only indication of date they have given! This is fabulous btw!

15 hours ago, AnonymousWalrus said:

I know this feeling all too well. For me this is my last attempt. And I too applied to more universities than last time. It only adds to the number of universities to have to worry about. N not hearing anything yet makes me totally doubt myself. Why aren't the days just going by faster ?!!! I wish we had like a more centralized approach to these notifications too - like in the match itself if we had a date where all universities had to notify about interviews at the same time. It would be like a band aid and bittersweet. ??

Anyone else imagining better scenarios to avoid freaking out ?! ?

47 minutes ago, AnonymousWalrus said:

How do you find out this info? I’m checking my spam over and over in case I get anything. Oh, I also forgot to including UColorado. Haven’t heard from them either. 

Good luck to you! I hope you get in!

Thank you and all the best to you as well! By the way to your question I.U. should have sent you an email after you submitted your application including the interview release date and interview dates. The Ohio State interviews I am basing off of applying last year. 

I'll add:
Arizona - Late Jan - ?
UAMS - Already heard-February - Feb 22, 26, 28
Baylor - Feb -?
Utah - Feb 12 - March 12- April 6th
Augustana - Feb 16 - Late Feb to Mid March
UCI - Late Feb - ?
CSUStan - Early March - ?

Some of those notification dates are just based off last years results  

Edited by AspiringGC

Thats weird that Cincinnati's website says they won't send out invites until late February..thats so much later than last year. At least it makes me feel less anxious kind of...i would still like to know sooner rather than later 

15 minutes ago, hfj23 said:

Thats weird that Cincinnati's website says they won't send out invites until late February..thats so much later than last year. At least it makes me feel less anxious kind of...i would still like to know sooner rather than later 

Just because I have doubts--didn't their website say February last year, but they sent out interviews around this week?