Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

My last recommendation was in on 22nd Dec but I submitted the application on 10th Dec. I still haven't heard from Minnesota. I m going to have an heart attack if I don't get an interview from them.

Edited by FutureGC7

1 hour ago, Blizzard said:

Is anyone applying to Baypath this cycle? If so, why or why not?

I looked into it but i'm not bc its a very online based program and it's a waste of money for me to move to a new place and not take classes on campus. Also i hate online classes bc i'm lazy and never do anything which is the same reason i avoided ISU and TJU although idk if TJU has changed, last time I checked there was no curriculum on their website 

Does anyone know what the definitive dates are for interview offers at all the Canadian schools? I'm not sure if I should email the admissions committee to ask, I don't want to sound too impatient....even though I am haha, I can't stand this wait

Edited by Joey0817

Hi everyone! Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have an interview at Brandeis (freaking out) and would really appreciate any information about the interview day if anyone has gone through it before and would like to share :) 

Congrats to the other interviewees, and to the others who applied, hang in there!

7 hours ago, Joey0817 said:

Does anyone know what the definitive dates are for interview offers at all the Canadian schools? I'm not sure if I should email the admissions committee to ask, I don't want to sound too impatient....even though I am haha, I can't stand this wait

Check the results page to see the general idea of when invites go out first. If it’s too a wide range, then go ahead and email the committees! 

McGill rejects were late February last year and Toronto sent rejections early March according to the results page. Past that I’m not too sure.

On 1/19/2018 at 9:05 PM, TR18 said:

Hi everyone! Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have an interview at Brandeis (freaking out) and would really appreciate any information about the interview day if anyone has gone through it before and would like to share :) 

Congrats to the other interviewees, and to the others who applied, hang in there!

Hey! I haven't had an interview there before, but I also got an invitation and am currently a student at Brandeis, so if you want to talk more about the program, environment, people, etc let me know!! 

For those of you who haven't heard from Augustana yet, don't fret! I emailed the program director asking about the likelihood any additional interview dates might open up (the days available aren't the easiest for me to get off) and he responded with this:

"As our application window does not close until February 5, the ASGCGP expects to continue to receive and review applications from well-qualified candidates who we would like to interview. (In fact, at this point in time we are still reviewing some really good applications that came in weeks ago.) We cannot, at this time, accurately predict how many applicants may fall into this category, nor can we guarantee additional interview slots. It is likely we will open more slots on additional days, but, if we do, we will simultaneously be inviting more applicants to interview. ....  If so, would likely be in March."

Of the three days listed on where you can sign up for interview slots, one day looks completely full, another is half full and the third still has spots for both options (morning and afternoon interviews). Based on last years numbers of interviewing around 50 applicants, I'd say they still have at least half of their interview slots open plus as he mentioned, they could be opening up more dates in the future. 

Also, I am thoroughly impressed because the director shows obvious knowledge of my application last year and mentioned what a great job I had done at making it even stronger this year, commented on Arizona's need for GCs, and then he ended the email with "Pack a coat ;-)". Feels nice to actually "stand out" as a person and not be just another application. Really shows that they truly DO take a holistic review of applications. 

How many other programs (Emory, Case Western...) do we think have similar situations? Like does anyone have any reason to suspect that either of those programs have finished inviting people and that they are just holding off on sending rejections..? These are the thoughts that keep me awake at night... lol

Hi Everyone! Since I am first time applicant, I have no idea what to expect from interviews. Can anyone who has been through this process please share how usually the interviews are? What kind of general questions should we expect etc.? Thanks!

1 hour ago, AspiringGC said:

For those of you who haven't heard from Augustana yet, don't fret! I emailed the program director asking about the likelihood any additional interview dates might open up (the days available aren't the easiest for me to get off) and he responded with this:

"As our application window does not close until February 5, the ASGCGP expects to continue to receive and review applications from well-qualified candidates who we would like to interview. (In fact, at this point in time we are still reviewing some really good applications that came in weeks ago.) We cannot, at this time, accurately predict how many applicants may fall into this category, nor can we guarantee additional interview slots. It is likely we will open more slots on additional days, but, if we do, we will simultaneously be inviting more applicants to interview. ....  If so, would likely be in March."

Of the three days listed on where you can sign up for interview slots, one day looks completely full, another is half full and the third still has spots for both options (morning and afternoon interviews). Based on last years numbers of interviewing around 50 applicants, I'd say they still have at least half of their interview slots open plus as he mentioned, they could be opening up more dates in the future. 

Also, I am thoroughly impressed because the director shows obvious knowledge of my application last year and mentioned what a great job I had done at making it even stronger this year, commented on Arizona's need for GCs, and then he ended the email with "Pack a coat ;-)". Feels nice to actually "stand out" as a person and not be just another application. Really shows that they truly DO take a holistic review of applications. 

Last year they had 6 interview dates, so if they follow the same this year they should theoretically have 3 more dates eventually. 

2 hours ago, GeneDawg said:

Hi Everyone! Since I am first time applicant, I have no idea what to expect from interviews. Can anyone who has been through this process please share how usually the interviews are? What kind of general questions should we expect etc.? Thanks!

So I haven't applied at all for any programs (planning to apply next year), but I did have a meeting with a program director at Northwestern recently and we did talk about the interview process for a bit. I don't know what kind of questions to expect, but I know at the very least at Northwestern interviews start around 8:30 am and can last up to 6 pm. In the beginning, from what she had told me there are about three 10-15  minute interviews, a group activity with other applicants that is facilitated by a director I believe (they want to see how you interact with others), meeting with some of the present students I think, and I believe she also talked about an optional dinner. I'm sure others know more who actually went through the process, but hope that helped!

Does anyone know what schools we should expect to hear from this week? I know IU is supposed to send out invites tomorrow. And maybe VCU (based on last year's results but their deadline was 1/15 so this week seems early) and potentially Cincinnati. I'm super stressed out about this lol

Hi everyone! Just finding out about this gradcafe website thanks to a friend. I have applied to Stanford, CSU-Stanislaus, Sarah Lawrence College, UTH, and Baylor(brand new program).

Has anyone else applied to these schools or received interview invites? I live in Houston and started looking up flights and hotels in San Fran & NY. The interview process will be expensive ( if I get some) but definitely worth it. Looking forward to hearing from you guys :)

2 hours ago, hfj23 said:

Does anyone know what schools we should expect to hear from this week? I know IU is supposed to send out invites tomorrow. And maybe VCU (based on last year's results but their deadline was 1/15 so this week seems early) and potentially Cincinnati. I'm super stressed out about this lol

Cincinnati will be making it's interview offers the first week of February.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:55 PM, Blizzard said:

Is anyone applying to Baypath this cycle? If so, why or why not?

I applied to Bay Path this year. I chose to apply there because of the flexibility that an online program would give. However, my living situation has changed since submitting my app and admittedly Bay Path has fallen to the bottom of my preference list. I am still applying because with no application fee and the option of a Skype interview, there's nothing to lose!