Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

13 minutes ago, agct664 said:

I submitted mine on the deadline December 22nd and heard back on January 11th! and try not to stress, there were 6 interview dates and it didnt seem like many spots were full yet when I submitted my preferences!

How quickly did they get back to you on confirming your interview date? 

10 minutes ago, GCPH said:

How quickly did they get back to you on confirming your interview date? 

I sent in my preferences on a Saturday and heard back the following Tuesday morning. So about one actual business day

Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster blah blah blah. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for making this forum and sharing everything. I have posted my interviews and dates in my signature so if we match up we can freak out over our interviews, together. 

4 minutes ago, adragonisnoslave said:

Where did they say 1/23? I just saw on their website it says they're typically notified late January... last year I heard from them mid-Feb.

They sent out an email saying they “anticipated” sending out interviews on January 23rd

"The IUGCP Admissions Committee will review applications during the first part of January.  We anticipate extending invitations on January 23rd to applicants selected for interviews, which will be held on February 12, 19 and 26."

This was their email on 12/6/18

23 minutes ago, Raerae32 said:

Has anyone heard from Maryland? And if so, when did you hear and when did you submit your application?

I sent my app in some time in December, around the 20th maybe? Heard from them today. 

17 hours ago, GC2018 said:

When did you submit your application for Emory and when did you hear back from them that you received an interview? I know that some interviews have been rolling out recently and I just want to know approximately when to expect mine! 

I submitted my application around 11PM on Dec 22nd (also very close to the deadline haha) and received an invitation for 7 dates February-March on Jan 5th. I noticed on the results page that the first interview invitation went out via email on Jan 4th, but they were only given three interview dates. That post also said Emory is accommodating only 18 interviews max, which isn't true overall. Given that we got invites around the same time, does anyone know why some candidates might be offered more interview dates than others? It seems unfair some candidates would get a select number of dates while others get the full spectrum. Also do other schools do this?

Edited by GC2020

53 minutes ago, GC2020 said:

I submitted my application around 11PM on Dec 22nd (also very close to the deadline haha) and received an invitation for 7 dates February-March on Jan 5th. I noticed on the results page that the first interview invitation went out via email on Jan 4th, but they were only given three interview dates. That post also said Emory is accommodating only 18 interviews max, which isn't true overall. Given that we got invites around the same time, does anyone know why some candidates might be offered more interview dates than others? It seems unfair some candidates would get a select number of dates while others get the full spectrum. Also do other schools do this?

If they are sending invites out in waves or on a rolling basis, I could see them only offering a few interview dates. Augustana has sent out one wave and only offered 3 dates, but their deadline hasn't even passed yet so I'm sure they will be doing at least one more wave with additional dates. If they sent out all the dates to the first people they offered interviews to and everyone wanted later dates, it would be unfair to the people they notified later who would have a much shorter timeframe to figure out travel and time off if only the earlier dates were left available.  Emory sent out some invites the first week of January, and they also just sent out some invites this week it looks like. Though it's still a little odd that in your case, one day later they offered more dates. Programs have to work around the schedules of the directors and other staff, which could also be why they only schedule a few dates first and then more later once they make everyone's schedules work.  

Edited by Nefelibata

25 minutes ago, Nefelibata said:

If they are sending invites out in waves or on a rolling basis, I could see them only offering a few interview dates. Augustana has sent out one wave and only offered 3 dates, but their deadline hasn't even passed yet so I'm sure they will be doing at least one more wave with additional dates. Emory sent out some invites the first week of January, and they also just sent out some invites this week it looks like. Programs have to work around the schedules of the directors and other staff, which could also be why they only schedule a few dates first and then more later once they make everyone's schedules work.  

Yeah that makes sense. It was just weird to me that the other candidate and I got interview invites the same week (one day apart) and I was given 7 interview dates while the other person got only 3. It seems like we should have both been offered the same number of dates in that first wave. 

Edited by GC2020

1 hour ago, AnonymousWalrus said:

Got my first rejection letter from Ohio State. Oh well, 13 more programs to go. 

I got rejected too, even though I got an interview from them last year and significantly improved my application. Got to keep our heads up, even though it's difficult after being rejected. :(

41 minutes ago, soon2beGC said:

I got rejected too, even though I got an interview from them last year and significantly improved my application. Got to keep our heads up, even though it's difficult after being rejected. :(

You’re absolutely right! 

Although, I don’t feel as bad this cycle about getting rejected. I think that’s because I have a backup plan this year, lol.

Edited by AnonymousWalrus