Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

1 hour ago, karyotyping said:

Hey all! Does anyone know when BU and SLC start sending out invites/rejections? They both had a deadline of Dec 15th and I'm antsy after hearing back from Brandeis so soon!

I'm not sure about SLC but I think earlier someone posted that Boston said they will be sending out interview invites no later than February 15. I'm anxious too and would really like to plan my trip to Boston and coordinate if I need to so I hope they don't wait till then!

21 minutes ago, ICGCDW said:

I'm not sure about SLC but I think earlier someone posted that Boston said they will be sending out interview invites no later than February 15. I'm anxious too and would really like to plan my trip to Boston and coordinate if I need to so I hope they don't wait till then!

Thank you! I get the feeling that the next few weeks are going to be tense! lol

I really liked Telling Genes: The Story of Genetic Counseling in America by Alexandra Stern! Or if you are interested in the history of genetics The Gene by Siddhartha Mukherjee. My favorite is Genetic Rounds by Dr. Robert Marion.   

Edited by LM1994

18 minutes ago, LM1994 said:

I really liked Telling Genes by Alexandra Stern! Or if you are interested in the history of genetics The Gene by Siddhartha Mukherjee. My favorite is Genetic Rounds by Dr. Robert Marion.   

Thank you, these sound like books I would enjoy!  I enjoyed the book about specific genetic counselors and one of their patient's stories called Code Talkers.  

25 minutes ago, GCBrittany said:

Does anyone have any good reading material they would recommend?

(In the category of genetic counseling/related field)

Thanks!

I read "Heredity and Hope: The Case for Genetic Screening" during my undergrad and loved it! It gives some great real life examples where screening for genetic diseases have helped certain populations of people. Iirc you can pick it up pretty cheaply on Amazon.

Congratulations to dragongc10, Brideir, and all of you who have received interview invitations!  It seems most of my schools are sending out invitations a little later, so I'll be on pins and needles for awhile until I get (hope hope) that first invitation...

4 minutes ago, GC2GC said:

Thank you, these sound like books I would enjoy!  I enjoyed the book about specific genetic counselors and one of their patient's stories called Code Talkers.  

I've read that too! If you like patient stories, try this one out: The Story Within: Personal Essays on Genetics and Identity by  Amy Boesky. 

3 minutes ago, LM1994 said:

I've read that too! If you like patient stories, try this one out: The Story Within: Personal Essays on Genetics and Identity by  Amy Boesky. 

Thank you!

18 minutes ago, Brifeir said:

omg just got an invitation from Indiana!!! wow feels so good especially following a rejection from brandeis, good luck to all!!!!!

I started shaking when I read these posts. Checked my email. I don't have one. Guess that settles that! I'd assume they all went out at the same time? If you got yours 20-30 mins ago if I was getting one it would be here by now. Crushing. 

Indiana is interviewing 55. Where is everyone else??

Edited by Blizzard

33 minutes ago, GCBrittany said:

Thanks!

Middlesex (can’t temember author) is really good. Not super into genetics but does go over it briefly to explain how intersex can arise. And I’m currently reading The Spirit Catches You and then You Fall Down, per recommendation of Arizona’s program director. It’s about a little girl with a rare form of epilepsy and the clash of her culture (they’re from a small ethnic group in Laos) and the American medical culture. Definitely a good read for anyone interested in underserved populations. I’m very impressed so far.

36 minutes ago, GCBrittany said:

Thanks!

I definitely second the recommendation of The Gene by Siddhartha Mukherjee. I also recommend Alex: The Life of a Child by Frank Deford-it's quite old now, but it is the story that initially ignited my passion for learning about and treating those with genetic disorders. Also, my GC PI boss recommended I read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. I just finished it, and it was very good, especially if you have an interest in ethics around genetics, research, and minority communities.

7 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

I started shaking when I read these posts. Checked my email. I don't have one. Guess that settles that! I'd assume they all went out at the same time? If you got yours 20-30 mins ago if I was getting one it would be here by now. Crushing. 

I didn’t get an email from Indiana yet either. *high fives*

11 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

I didn't get one either. How do u know the exact number - 55 ? 

40 minutes ago, GCBrittany said:

Thanks!

If you are interested in non-fiction, there is a lot of good short/online reading in the Journal of Genetic Counseling, Genetics in Medicine, and Genome Magazine. You might need an institutional subscription. They're great for getting a better idea of where the field is going. I find it gives you something to talk/think about, even if you don't know what specialty you're interested in. 

4 minutes ago, sunT said:

If you are interested in non-fiction, there is a lot of good short/online reading in the Journal of Genetic Counseling, Genetics in Medicine, and Genome Magazine. You might need an institutional subscription. They're great for getting a better idea of where the field is going. I find it gives you something to talk/think about, even if you don't know what specialty you're interested in. 

Genome Magazine is a free subscription! It's a great read. 

57 minutes ago, GCBrittany said:

Thanks!

I took a course about genetic counseling with the University of South Carolina and I'm slowing trying to work through the book list the instructor gave us.  So far I've read: The spirit catches you and you fall down by Anne Fadiman (about cultural diversity and a Hmong girl with epilepsy living in America), Give me one wish by Jacquie  Gordon (about a teenage girl with cystic fibrosis), Anna: A daughter's life by William Loizeaux (a father's memoirs about his grief after the loss of his daughter who had VATER syndrome), and Expecting Adam by Martha Beck (about a woman who decides to not terminate her pregnancy after a Down syndrome diagnosis, despite everyone pressuring her to).  I've really enjoyed all of them so far and can't really pick a favourite because they're all on very different topics related to genetic counseling.

The rest of the book list is: Choosing Naia by Mitchel Zuckoff, Babyface by Jeanne McDermott, Waiting with Gabriel by Amy Kuebelbeck, Spelling Love with an X by Clare Dunsford, Before and After Zachariah by Fern Kupfer, Old Before my Time by Hayley Okines, and Pretty is What Changes by Jessica Queller.

I also read a fictional novel called Inside the O'Briens by Lisa Genova about a family that carries the gene for Huntington's.