Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

Far from the Tree by Andrew Solomon is pretty dense but good and you can pick and choose chapters without losing information (he was also one of the keynote speaker at the NSGC conference in 2014).

Edited by KG203040

Minnesota gave 5 (two day Thursday/Friday interview) dates February-late March. They asked me to rank my preferences and then they would get back to me by the end of this week. I'm not sure how many they have asked so far though.

18 minutes ago, Lea123 said:

Minnesota gave 5 (two day Thursday/Friday interview) dates February-late March. They asked me to rank my preferences and then they would get back to me by the end of this week. I'm not sure how many they have asked so far though.

Thank you! I actually emailed the program and the program assistant emailed back saying they won't be offering me an interview. So for anyone who was wondering, you could try emailing. They are going to send out the rejection emails next week for those wondering.

Edited by LM1994

Hello, fellow applicants!

Wondering if any of you have applied to Pitt's GC program?  I, riskily, only applied to Pitt since I am geographically limited and am a homeowner.  Anyway, I wanted to check and see if anyone has heard anything back yet or just want to share some feelings and/or concerns -- I know this is a very stressful time for all of us!  Good luck to you all and I hope we all can achieve our dreams one way or another :)

By the way, I heard back from Pitt on 1/3 informing me that my application was verified and officially going to be/being reviewed by the committee.

Edited by taylorelocin

2 minutes ago, Brifeir said:

Question for second time applicants who got interviews/current students: any tips for interviews? What kinds of qs are asked?

I had two interviews last year and they were completely different from each other.  One was a one hour long panel interview that was very geared towards me and my background.  They asked some questions about "what would you do if you were a genetic counselor and a patient came in asking x?" but they also asked me how I got into the field I'm in now and why I was choosing to change fields and questions very specific to my past volunteer work.  They also asked off-the-cuff follow up questions based on the answers I gave.

The other school was a full-day with multi-mini interviews.  Each mini interview had a specific set of questions/activities/scenarios that they went through with no variation.  Then at the end of the day they had a more personal interview, where they asked about what I was looking for in a program, why I wanted to be a genetic counselor, and where I saw myself in the field, etc.  Even though this portion was more personal, it was still a specific set of questions with no variation between applicants.

Hey guys!

First time applicant here. I just applied to 2 programs this cycle (I know i am insane). I applied to Wayne State and University of Michigan. Due to financial reasons i didnt apply out of state this cycle. I figure I should include my credentials although it makes me nervous to do so because i see much higher scores than i have on here. My UG GPA is 3.22 but i have one more semester to go. My gre is 154V/152Q/3.5W. I volunteered as a crisis line counselor for over a year. I currently volunteer once a week as genetic counselor assistant doing data entry. Despite this opportunity ive only been able to shadow two counseling sessions. I have almost two years of undergrad research studying the genetics of FeLV (Feline Leukemia Virus). I also have worked as a behavior technician implementing ABA therapy plans for children with autism. I havent seen many people on this forum applying for schools in Michigan so im hoping to get some feedback on my credentials. Has anyone gotten in with scores and such like mine? Both of the programs i applied to said interview invitations will be sent out in February which is only a week away so i am shaking in my boots. Any feedback is much appreciated, even if its just advice on how to calm down during this whole process. 

54 minutes ago, daisyhunter said:

Anyone else get a random "your application is being reviewed" email from Emory today? Or ever? And if so, how many of you got interview offers vs rejections after that? Trying not to get too excited since it's likely meaningless...

I also just got that from Emory today. I’m also completely lost. Is getting an email that it’s in review a way of them saying “we didn’t totally ignore your application for this cycle”? Because I got rejected from every school last year and they never sent any such emails.

Edited by AnonymousWalrus

13 minutes ago, AnonymousWalrus said:

I also just got that from Emory today. I’m also completely lost. Is getting an email that it’s in review a way of them saying “we didn’t totally ignore your application for this cycle”? Because I got rejected from every school last year and they never sent any such emails.

I WISH it was like that, but I got rejected from every school last year too, but I did receive several courtesy emails saying they were reviewing my app. 

3 hours ago, taylorelocin said:

Hello, fellow applicants!

Wondering if any of you have applied to Pitt's GC program?  I, riskily, only applied to Pitt since I am geographically limited and am a homeowner.  Anyway, I wanted to check and see if anyone has heard anything back yet or just want to share some feelings and/or concerns -- I know this is a very stressful time for all of us!  Good luck to you all and I hope we all can achieve our dreams one way or another :)

By the way, I heard back from Pitt on 1/3 informing me that my application was verified and officially going to be/being reviewed by the committee.

Don't stress yet! I didn't here back until the end of February, beginning of March last year. I think this week last year was when people first started hearing back. Not that that makes the waiting necessarily easier. 

2 hours ago, Gadgette said:

Don't stress yet! I didn't here back until the end of February, beginning of March last year. I think this week last year was when people first started hearing back. Not that that makes the waiting necessarily easier. 

Thanks! Ugh, end of Feb/early March... that's torture haha. I'm not keeping my hopes up too high but the waiting game is nerve-racking. Did you end up getting accepted to Pitt or any other programs last year?

Hi, all! I just discovered this site and it's awesome to see all the positivity despite this stressful time of waiting from schools! I put the schools I applied to and have heard back from in my signature. Good luck everyone!

8 hours ago, TAGC said:

I had two interviews last year and they were completely different from each other.  One was a one hour long panel interview that was very geared towards me and my background.  They asked some questions about "what would you do if you were a genetic counselor and a patient came in asking x?" but they also asked me how I got into the field I'm in now and why I was choosing to change fields and questions very specific to my past volunteer work.  They also asked off-the-cuff follow up questions based on the answers I gave.

The other school was a full-day with multi-mini interviews.  Each mini interview had a specific set of questions/activities/scenarios that they went through with no variation.  Then at the end of the day they had a more personal interview, where they asked about what I was looking for in a program, why I wanted to be a genetic counselor, and where I saw myself in the field, etc.  Even though this portion was more personal, it was still a specific set of questions with no variation between applicants.

Thanks so much, good to know an idea of what to maybe expect. Where did you interview?

7 hours ago, Brifeir said:

Thanks so much, good to know an idea of what to maybe expect. Where did you interview?

UBC and Manitoba.  I only applied to Canadian schools last year because I hadn't taken the GRE.  I more than doubled my applications this year by adding American schools to the mix.

@Gadgette I'm also really surprised that everyone's getting invites so early.  Last year I received my first interview offer on February 3rd and my last rejection on February 28th.

Edited by TAGC
Febraury only had 28 days last year.

Is anyone still waiting to hear from Brandeis? I got a generic email from the graduate school today and almost passed out. I just want to hear something from any of my schools!