Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

6 minutes ago, karyotyping said:

Cyto is great! I'm not sure about the program you're in, but I went through the UCONN program which included a lot of clinical information on chromosomal syndromes and a course involving ethics and genetics. I think that going through a cyto/molecular program will definitely strengthen your application (at least I'm hoping!). At least for me, I feel like it gave me a lot of exposure into genetic testing as GCs will have to be familiar with the type of testing a cyto/ mol tech does.

Currently I'm at Dartmouth. It's a smaller lab, but hospital labs usually are compared to commercial labs. One good thing about DH is that I was able to shadow 4 GCs relatively easily because I was already a hospital employee :) Have you gone on any rotations yet?

Yeah last year we did rotations through Baylor Miraca Cytogenetics & CMA(chromosomal microarray ) labs. This year is just focused on our thesis project! I agree learning the chromosomal syndromes definately helps. Going through this experience really taught me that I want to have patients or just more personal interaction with the people I am helping out. Yes being in the hospital has a lot of perks, that is the same way I was able to shadow :) Hopefully cytogenetics will help us both

2 hours ago, HelenM said:

Hey! Out of curiosity. I noticed you applied for Mt. Sinai but not Sarah Lawrence. Is there a specific reason you chose Mt. Sinnai over SLC?

Hey! Basically because I did not have all the pre-reqs for Sarah Lawrence. 

Hi Everyone!!

First time applicant here. Really glad to have found such a supportive group of fellow applicants :) Incredibly nervous about getting accepted. I only applied to 3 schools and have been rejected to one of them. I'm considering posting  my stats to get some input, but very nervous.

You all seem so supportive and great.

Us lagging strands gotta stick together!

It's awesome to see everyone getting interview offers on this thread! I hope to be in the same position next year.

I was thinking, however, that if I get rejected, I may go for another masters degree while I wait to re-apply, since I think the real problem with my chances of acceptance will be my undergrad GPA.

Has anyone else done this before? Or considering? What programs have you attended/looked into?

10 minutes ago, freckledgenes said:

It's awesome to see everyone getting interview offers on this thread! I hope to be in the same position next year.

I was thinking, however, that if I get rejected, I may go for another masters degree while I wait to re-apply, since I think the real problem with my chances of acceptance will be my undergrad GPA.

Has anyone else done this before? Or considering? What programs have you attended/looked into?

I applied to a back up program last year (and didn’t end up going for a variety’s of reasons, such as not being able to work for the year, possibly not finishing the course work in a year, waste money on a degree I was only half interested in, etc.). In the end I decided just to take classes where I needed to boost my grades (mainly Biochem) and courses that showed me gaining more experience (UCincinnati’s neurogenetics course). 

However, the program I did apply to (and get accepted) was UofArizona’s Cellular and Molecular Biology program. It is typically a 2 year program but there’s is a track where students can apply who want to go to medical school and get automatic acceptance to UofA’s med school. I went with the normal track because you CAN finish in a year (the med school track is for under represented students also/not tied 1 med school applications but have promise), you just have to work at it. Also, this department is where Arizona’s new GC program is based out of so you would be taking some courses that the GC students would take (and would likely have them in class with you! Along with the CMM students). 

Overall the program has a lot of support and I really think it would’ve helped me bolster my app had I been able to justify the money + the reality of not making money or been okay with doing it in the normal two years so I could have worked also. 

I got a call from a Tucson number, more importantly a number that coincides with a UofArizona number (I used to work on campus so I know the middle 3 digits) and I let it go to voicemail cuz I'm at work all the while freaking out that it could be an interview invite. Can we talk about how upset I was that it was automated message from the new football coach. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? Send a freaking email man. I don't wanna hear your little rally to fill the stadium and how "excited' you are to be here -_-

Just now, AspiringGC said:

I got a call from a Tucson number, more importantly a number that coincides with a UofArizona number (I used to work on campus so I know the middle 3 digits) and I let it go to voicemail cuz I'm at work all the while freaking out that it could be an interview invite. Can we talk about how upset I was that it was automated message from the new football coach. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? Send a freaking email man. I don't wanna hear your little rally to fill the stadium and how "excited' you are to be here -_-

Ouch! Sometimes I think these schools like watching us squirm...

11 minutes ago, kelly14 said:

Out of curiosity, is anyone here a third time applicant? As a second-timer starting to feel pretty hopeless about my chances this year, I’m preemptively wondering how common it is to apply three cycles

I’m second but I know of someone that it took 3 tries.  She is now a GC.

11 minutes ago, kelly14 said:

Out of curiosity, is anyone here a third time applicant? As a second-timer starting to feel pretty hopeless about my chances this year, I’m preemptively wondering how common it is to apply three cycles

I am actually a 5th time applicant. I really don't know why I haven't been accepted yet, I've gotten interviews and been on waitlists...the process has been overall quite heartbreaking but I am really determined. I have my masters in public health genetics as well. Last years after I didn't get into a program I accepted a GCA position so I'm hoping that helps me out a little bit. I say all that to say, don't be discouraged if this is what you really want. 

28 minutes ago, Sunshine99 said:

I am actually a 5th time applicant. I really don't know why I haven't been accepted yet, I've gotten interviews and been on waitlists...the process has been overall quite heartbreaking but I am really determined. I have my masters in public health genetics as well. Last years after I didn't get into a program I accepted a GCA position so I'm hoping that helps me out a little bit. I say all that to say, don't be discouraged if this is what you really want. 

Oh heck no! I could not handle that props to you. 

May I ask if they've given you any indication on why you haven't been accepted anywhere yet?

2 minutes ago, KCGC said:

Oh heck no! I could not handle that props to you. 

May I ask if they've given you any indication on why you haven't been accepted anywhere yet?

GRE and Undergrad GPA....even though I have my masters. I'm not a great test taker but I have heart hahah

2 hours ago, HelenM said:

Yeah last year we did rotations through Baylor Miraca Cytogenetics & CMA(chromosomal microarray ) labs. This year is just focused on our thesis project! I agree learning the chromosomal syndromes definately helps. Going through this experience really taught me that I want to have patients or just more personal interaction with the people I am helping out. Yes being in the hospital has a lot of perks, that is the same way I was able to shadow :) Hopefully cytogenetics will help us both

Oh that sounds awesome! I've never had the chance to do CMA myself, only ever seen it done in molecular labs so that's awesome. I'm glad to hear that your experiences in school helped fuel your path towards becoming a GC! That's a strong point to mention in interviews. Cytogenetics certainly can't hurt our chances! I hope.

37 minutes ago, Rosie414 said:

Just saw on the results page that somebody heard from Boston today. Has anyone else heard from them? 

They posted in the comments it was for an internship? Not sure why they posted that on GradCafe though since this is for grad school and the results page says Masters ...

7 minutes ago, trp111 said:

They posted in the comments it was for an internship? Not sure why they posted that on GradCafe though since this is for grad school and the results page says Masters ...

Oh I thought they meant that they were a genetic counseling intern already. That's why it was a plot twist maybe? I'm not sure. 

Edited by Rosie414

5 minutes ago, Rosie414 said:

Oh I thought that they meant that they were a genetic counseling intern already. That's why it was a plot twist maybe? I'm not sure. 

I took that comment as they were a GC intern and were shocked they didn’t get an interview based on that. 

Quoted the wrong comment but yeah I’m seconding Rosie lol

Edited by AspiringGC

5 minutes ago, Rosie414 said:

Oh I thought they meant that they were a genetic counseling intern already. That's why it was a plot twist maybe? I'm not sure. 

That would make more sense! Hm also weird they sent out rejections first ahhhh

Edited by trp111

Do you guys have any idea when to expect anything from Michigan? I haven't seen many people post about them and I know their application was only due a few weeks ago but I was just curious