Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

2 hours ago, agct664 said:

Do you guys have any idea when to expect anything from Michigan? I haven't seen many people post about them and I know their application was only due a few weeks ago but I was just curious 

I heard mid-February! Hang in there!

15 hours ago, kelly14 said:

Out of curiosity, is anyone here a third time applicant? As a second-timer starting to feel pretty hopeless about my chances this year, I’m preemptively wondering how common it is to apply three cycles

@Sunshine99 I'm also a fifth time applicant.  I applied straight out of my undergrad with a really weak application, because I didn't realize how competitive it was and didn't know much about the career yet.  I got a different Master's degree and started working in that field when I decided to apply again.  I only applied to UofT that time because my serious boyfriend (now husband) was in grad school and couldn't move. When they rejected me I asked for feedback and they told me I hadn't volunteered since my undergrad and that my personal statement wasn't very strong.  The next year I applied to all 3 Canadian schools and didn't get any interviews, but the overwhelming consensus was that I needed shadowing experience. I got that experience and when I reapplied to the 4 Canadian schools I got 2 interviews.  I was wait-listed to one of the schools and the other school gave me some solid interview feedback, which I've been working on this year.  The 2 schools that didn't interview me said that my application was really strong, but that when they can only interview so few it's hard to make that cut.

I finally wrote the GRE this year so that I could expand my applications to the American schools as well.  I also did more shadowing and took a course through USC called "Genetic Counseling: Career for the Future."  I'm really hoping this is finally my year, because I don't know if I have another application cycle in me.

Sorry for the long biography, but I thought people would like to know what some of my feedback was along the way and why I'm a fifth time applicant.  I don't think I had a particularly strong application until last year, which explains why I've done this so many times.

@Sunshine99 & @TAGC Wow. I don't know how you both have this much of grit, but it's amazing that you are trying again. I hope you make it this year. N I think all the schools will view your perseverance as a great positive. They always look for people who are sure about their choice of this career. N there's no doubt that you both are determined as hell! All the best ! ?

I just got an email from Emory saying that my application is under review. For those of you who heard back from Emory, how long did it take between receiving the "application under review email" and receiving an email about whether or not you got an interview. 

Hi guys, just wanted to join in the support of this community. This board has given me a lot of perspective! I am a first time applicant, applied to 10 schools. I have received an interview offer at Augustana and 2 rejections, from Maryland and Brandeis. It's been so hard for me to sit back and take rejections after all of my emotional investment! Anyone else feeling overwhelmed with that?

13 minutes ago, HSGC2017 said:

I’m thinking of putting in an application to Augustana’s program but my natural science gpa is low, anyone reapplying there who knows how strongly they weigh GPA? 

If we're being honest, my natural science GPA is around a 2.5 (likely go up to a 2.6 once I finish my biochem class) and my cumulative is a 3.36 and I got an interview. 

And from feedback last year, the did recommend retaking biochem etc, but that wasn't the main issue in my application for them. 

Edited by AspiringGC
typo

56 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

If we're being honest, my natural science GPA is around a 2.5 (likely go up to a 2.6 once I finish my biochem class) and my cumulative is a 3.36 and I got an interview. 

And from feedback last year, the did recommend retaking biochem etc, but that wasn't the main issue in my application for them. 

My science gpa is around a 2.6 but my overall is still under a 3.0. Im doing the Genomic advocacy graduate certificate with ISU and have a 3.85 gpa in that but when I emailed asking if I could include from my graduate classes in the calculation they said not to. So I’m worried I will be at a disadvantage and won’t be considered. 

2 hours ago, GC2018 said:

I just got an email from Emory saying that my application is under review. For those of you who heard back from Emory, how long did it take between receiving the "application under review email" and receiving an email about whether or not you got an interview. 

After I got my “under review” email, I got my invite about 1.5 weeks after 

Edited by GCPH

12 minutes ago, AnonymousWalrus said:

Has anyone here applied to LIU Post even though they’re accreditation is under probation? I wonder how this year’s cycle will work considering the changes taking place at their program...

I've applied there. One of the GCs I shadowed said that they lost their accreditation a few years back and that other programs were able to absorb their students, luckily. Hopefully that doesn't happen again because I like what I've seen of their program.

6 hours ago, TAGC said:

@Sunshine99 I'm also a fifth time applicant.  I applied straight out of my undergrad with a really weak application, because I didn't realize how competitive it was and didn't know much about the career yet.  I got a different Master's degree and started working in that field when I decided to apply again.  I only applied to UofT that time because my serious boyfriend (now husband) was in grad school and couldn't move. When they rejected me I asked for feedback and they told me I hadn't volunteered since my undergrad and that my personal statement wasn't very strong.  The next year I applied to all 3 Canadian schools and didn't get any interviews, but the overwhelming consensus was that I needed shadowing experience. I got that experience and when I reapplied to the 4 Canadian schools I got 2 interviews.  I was wait-listed to one of the schools and the other school gave me some solid interview feedback, which I've been working on this year.  The 2 schools that didn't interview me said that my application was really strong, but that when they can only interview so few it's hard to make that cut.

I finally wrote the GRE this year so that I could expand my applications to the American schools as well.  I also did more shadowing and took a course through USC called "Genetic Counseling: Career for the Future."  I'm really hoping this is finally my year, because I don't know if I have another application cycle in me.

Sorry for the long biography, but I thought people would like to know what some of my feedback was along the way and why I'm a fifth time applicant.  I don't think I had a particularly strong application until last year, which explains why I've done this so many times.

Your story sounds a lot like mine! I have been applying since undergrad as well and I took that class as USC too! I'm sure we virtually already know each other hahah. I think I had my strongest application last year as well so I'm hoping it's only up for here. Hoping the best for both of us, fifth time can be the charm too!!

Hello everyone! Finally having the patience to make an account and take the time to write about myself.  This is my first year applying (schools are included in my signature).  Really freaking out about the process and not sure how hopeful I am about getting in my first time around. My undergrad GPA definitely wasn’t where I wanted it to be (2.9), first two years were kinda rough for me. However, I have been working full time in a hospital setting and clinic setting for three years now dealing with psychiatric and suicidal patients. I also was fortunate to be able to shadow two different genetic counselors and shadow an infertility clinic to see some of the lab side of genetics.  Hoping for the best that I don’t have to go through this again next year!

Heard back from UAMS today?? 

40 minutes ago, AnonymousWalrus said:

Has anyone here applied to LIU Post even though they’re accreditation is under probation? I wonder how this year’s cycle will work considering the changes taking place at their program...

I actually was going to apply, started my app, and stopped when I realized they were on probation. They're still sending "your application is not complete" emails to me which is super fun. I don't know, I felt like if I did get in there I would be nervous about the lack of secure accreditation, not just them losing it, but how future employers would look at that.

1 hour ago, HSGC2017 said:

My science gpa is around a 2.6 but my overall is still under a 3.0. Im doing the Genomic advocacy graduate certificate with ISU and have a 3.85 gpa in that but when I emailed asking if I could include from my graduate classes in the calculation they said not to. So I’m worried I will be at a disadvantage and won’t be considered. 

If the application has an area to include your Graduate GPA, then I’d say go for it! Otherwise, I can understand your concern and it might not be worth the money or stress of filling out a last minute application.  

53 minutes ago, AnonymousWalrus said:

There was someone last cycle who got in and currently goes to LIU Post. Not sure if they still come on here, but you could always go find out who and message them if you have specific questions

9 minutes ago, Brifeir said:

Has anyone gotten an email back from Indiana confirming an interview date? Just making sure I haven't missed an email

Nope, haven't heard anything back. Minnesota took a week to get back to me so I think it might just take awhile!