Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

3 minutes ago, Nefelibata said:

I also think it's kind of weird that an applicant/program can tell the other they will rank them, but they can't specify exactly where on the list.. 

I dunno if it's just my anxiety of wanting to get in to the program... but I definitely plan to rank all the schools I interview at.  I already narrowed it down from 40 to 9... so I'm pretty sure I'd be happy to go to any of those schools.

I read on the match rules that programs must be accredited by March 15 in order to participate in the match. I applied to three new programs, so hopefully at least one will be accredited in the next month!

This will be my last post in the thread. 

I got my rejection letter from Cincinnati yesterday morning, so I guess some people waited til the last possible second to RSVP on Friday night. I'm not sure why they were making poor Betty work on a Sunday morning, but it was a really great way to kick off the end of my weekend.

I can't watch people get 8 and 9 interviews, when I can't even get one, it hurts too much. So I'm done. Good luck to all of you, and congrats to those of you that are getting interviews. I will not be looking at the spreadsheet anymore, and am not going to be rabidly checking my email. All I'm waiting on is the official rejection emails from UTHouston and UAB, and the the game should repeat itself next week when Utah, KGI and Augustana make their offers.

1 hour ago, allele1 said:

I read on the match rules that programs must be accredited by March 15 in order to participate in the match. I applied to three new programs, so hopefully at least one will be accredited in the next month!

Yeah, I think KGI and Baylor have a good chance of getting accrediation by then. Arizona may just barely miss it. If so, they'll be participating in the second match with applicants who interviewed with them. (So if you still participate in match and for some reason, don't get in, there's still hope lol). And I'd assume all of them will do the same IF they don't get accredited in time

3 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

Yeah, I think KGI and Baylor have a good chance of getting accrediation by then. Arizona may just barely miss it. If so, they'll be participating in the second match with applicants who interviewed with them. (So if you still participate in match and for some reason, don't get in, there's still hope lol). And I'd assume all of them will do the same IF they don't get accredited in time

That's interesting for people who may have picked Baylor as their top choice, but then can't rank them in the match system.

6 minutes ago, TAGC said:

That's interesting for people who may have picked Baylor as their top choice, but then can't rank them in the match system.

When Arizona was my top choice, it was weird. I ended up deciding to rank wherever I had Interviews and if I didn’t get  in that way it would be a sign that Arizona was where I was supposed to go. 

Thankfully my choices changed and it’s not as hard if a decision now 

18 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

That makes sense. Are you still planning on going to Arizona if they invite you for an interview? 

17 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

Oh definitely! And if that’s where I end up I’ll be happy too

Hm, yeah. I guess I'm just hesitant to spend all the money on flights and hotels and take time off work if it's not going to receive accreditation. But could be a risk not to take it too. Hopefully we'll hear from them soon anyway!

24 minutes ago, allele1 said:

Hm, yeah. I guess I'm just hesitant to spend all the money on flights and hotels and take time off work if it's not going to receive accreditation. But could be a risk not to take it too. Hopefully we'll hear from them soon anyway!

Thankfully for Arizona, I live in town. So only need to worry about taking work off. Baylor is another story, but I’d love to be in Houston, so I’d say it’s worth it for me

For everyone who applied to SLC, did you get an email confirming that application has been completed and sent for review? or does SLC not have that?

I'm just a little worried because my application has been submitted but one of my checklist items is not checked off. This is because I'm still taking a class pending until March and the transcript hasn't been uploaded.

It could just be me being overly nervous not getting an interview email from them lol 

6 minutes ago, essee said:

For everyone who applied to SLC, did you get an email confirming that application has been completed and sent for review? or does SLC not have that?

I'm just a little worried because my application has been submitted but one of my checklist items is not checked off. This is because I'm still taking a class pending until March and the transcript hasn't been uploaded.

It could just be me being overly nervous not getting an interview email from them lol 

I only received the "application submitted" email when I paid. For what it's worth, SLC is sending out their invites in waves, and doing it on multiple days -- it says so on their website. They have 112 to send out, so I imagine it will be across a few days. I don't know if they will be consecutive days or not though.

Edited by Nefelibata

5 minutes ago, Nefelibata said:

I only received the "application submitted" email when I paid. For what it's worth, SLC is sending out their invites in waves, and doing it on multiple days -- it says so on their website. They have 112 to send out, so I imagine it will be across a few days. I don't know if they will be consecutive days or not though.

Ahh good to know! thanks :)

7 hours ago, TAGC said:

I dunno if it's just my anxiety of wanting to get in to the program... but I definitely plan to rank all the schools I interview at.  I already narrowed it down from 40 to 9... so I'm pretty sure I'd be happy to go to any of those schools.

Ha ha, isn't that the truth?!  Congratulations on all of your interviews.  Good luck!