Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

Asked Arizona director about interviews and this is what she sent: 

Since we will not have accreditation prior to the match, we plan to interview students from AZ in March (since they are local) All others will have to wait until after the match.  We hope to have access to the unmatched list depending on when we get accreditation.

This means that if you are in the match (which everyone I spoke to is), you will not be able to select AZ and if other programs match with you, you are obligated to attend. I know that puts those who would like to come here in the fall in an awkward situation, but we cannot accept anyone until we have accreditation.

I'm curios to why she seems so certain that accreditation won't happen before Match when Baylor and KGI just got theirs.. But Arizona did submit 3 months after AND another program submitted before them. If anyone is close by, applied, and DOESN'T have interviews, I bet it would be a good idea to reach out and reiterate your interests in the program. The above seems like they will only interview in-state students, even if they DO have interviews for programs in the Match whereas out of state will be interviewed AFTER they receive accreditation.. (likely later March or early April?) 

1 hour ago, guidingsunchan said:

Nothing from UT or Baylor here, and those are the only schools I applied to. Guess I should start working on building up my resumé for next year!

I can't speak for anyone else, but UT hasn't confirmed my interview date yet so there might still be hope! Don't give up. ?

24 minutes ago, LalaG said:

Is anyone here applying to the dual program at VCU?

I have heard back from the PhD program (last Wednesday) about an interview; they said my GC application is still under review.

I have just learned about this dual program ~ what an awesome opportunity!  Congrats on your PhD interview, hope you get an interview for the GC program.

3 hours ago, ImmaBaGC said:

Hey ya'll first time posting. I got interviews at Rutgers and Sarah Lawrence! Has anyone heard from Mount Sinai yet? (those are the only 3 I applied to)

Hi there!  Congratulations on your Rutgers and Sarah Lawrence interviews.  I am also curious about Mount Sinai as I have applied there as well.

1 hour ago, AspiringGC said:

Asked Arizona director about interviews and this is what she sent: 

Since we will not have accreditation prior to the match, we plan to interview students from AZ in March (since they are local) All others will have to wait until after the match.  We hope to have access to the unmatched list depending on when we get accreditation.

This means that if you are in the match (which everyone I spoke to is), you will not be able to select AZ and if other programs match with you, you are obligated to attend. I know that puts those who would like to come here in the fall in an awkward situation, but we cannot accept anyone until we have accreditation.

I'm curios to why she seems so certain that accreditation won't happen before Match when Baylor and KGI just got theirs.. But Arizona did submit 3 months after AND another program submitted before them. If anyone is close by, applied, and DOESN'T have interviews, I bet it would be a good idea to reach out and reiterate your interests in the program. The above seems like they will only interview in-state students, even if they DO have interviews for programs in the Match whereas out of state will be interviewed AFTER they receive accreditation.. (likely later March or early April?) 

Thank you for reaching out to the director and sharing this helpful information.  I may reach out like you suggested since I will be in Arizona in March...

48 minutes ago, GC2GC said:

Thank you for reaching out to the director and sharing this helpful information.  I may reach out like you suggested since I will be in Arizona in March...

Definitely a good idea! It really doesn't hurt

12 minutes ago, JeanCounselor said:

Still waiting to hear back from Stanislaus, Denver, Baylor and Hopkins. Baylor's portal just says "under review", which is unnerving since they're my top choice.

CSU sent invites out in March last year. Denver has sent some (not sure if they sent all?) and sent some rejections as well. I haven't seen anything on Hopkins yet, and Baylor sent interviews out today as well. Not sure if they are doing rolling or not. Fingers crossed for you!

1 hour ago, JeanCounselor said:

Still waiting to hear back from Stanislaus, Denver, Baylor and Hopkins. Baylor's portal just says "under review", which is unnerving since they're my top choice.

Dang, I didn't even think to check Baylor's application portal website until you mentioned it. Mine says "Not Offered", so I guess you're still in the running!

For anyone who hasn't heard back from manitoba or ubc, does it say on your student profile on the application website that you're not being offered an interview? I know they already sent out invites from both schools but I haven't heard back from them at all, not even a rejection letter...wasn't sure if anyone else is in the same boat. Just want some closure :\

37 minutes ago, Joey0817 said:

For anyone who hasn't heard back from manitoba or ubc, does it say on your student profile on the application website that you're not being offered an interview? I know they already sent out invites from both schools but I haven't heard back from them at all, not even a rejection letter...wasn't sure if anyone else is in the same boat. Just want some closure :\

I haven't heard back from Manitoba either! However, yesterday, my application status when from "Complete. Under Initial Assessment by Graduate Studies. Check back in 3-4 weeks." to "Complete. Under Review by Department. I'm not going to keep my hopes up because it has already been so long since Manitoba sent out interviews...

8 hours ago, ImmaBaGC said:

Hey ya'll first time posting. I got interviews at Rutgers and Sarah Lawrence! Has anyone heard from Mount Sinai yet? (those are the only 3 I applied to)

when is your SL interview?

4 hours ago, Joey0817 said:

3 hours ago, NicSL said:

I haven't heard back from Manitoba either! However, yesterday, my application status when from "Complete. Under Initial Assessment by Graduate Studies. Check back in 3-4 weeks." to "Complete. Under Review by Department. I'm not going to keep my hopes up because it has already been so long since Manitoba sent out interviews...

I haven't heard back from Manitoba (UofM) either, and my application says "Complete, under review by department." It has since the day all my documents were submitted. I have a feeling they're either sending out another round of interviews or something of the sort.. because someone earlier on here said they received a rejection email recently (if they did indeed mean Manitoba when they said UofM). So perhaps no news is good news. All hope is not lost yet! :)

Edited by bB0769

34 minutes ago, bB0769 said:

I haven't heard back from Manitoba (UofM) either, and my application says "Complete, under review by department." It has since the day all my documents were submitted. I have a feeling they're either sending out another round of interviews or something of the sort.. because someone earlier on here said they received a rejection email recently (if they did indeed mean Manitoba when they said UofM). So perhaps no news is good news. All hope is not lost yet! :)

I have a feeling the U of M referred to was Michigan haha! But my friend who applied last year said they also sent our rejection letters late February early March last year. But fingers crossed for us! :)

5 hours ago, NicSL said:

I have a feeling the U of M referred to was Michigan haha! But my friend who applied last year said they also sent our rejection letters late February early March last year. But fingers crossed for us! :)

Ahahaha! So many U of Ms! I meant the University of Minnesota when I mentioned getting a rejection letter on my portal.

Well I am officially giving up on this round of applications. Honestly the first rejection hurt the most but, strangely, now I am feeling energized about making my application better for next year and in desperate need of ways to fill a couple gaps I see now in retrospect. Lets hope this feeling of resilience sustains me over the next few months!! Also in the Colorado rejection email they stated they would write personalized application comments starting in JUNE! I know they have a lot on their plates but holy cow, I don't know if I can wait that long! Until then, congrats to everyone with interviews, hope they all go well.   *patiently waiting for the Genetic Counseling Fall 2019 Applicants thread to be born*

19 hours ago, guidingsunchan said:

Nothing from UT or Baylor here, and those are the only schools I applied to. Guess I should start working on building up my resumé for next year!

Yeah I felt pretty confident about Baylor, but I guess not? I checked my status online, and it said " under review" so I'm not sure what that means, especially bc I haven't gotten email from them

16 hours ago, JeanCounselor said:

Same! I checked my Baylor status just now. I'm a little nervous bc I felt confident about Baylor. We'll see. Let me know if you hear anything from them :) Also waiting to hear back from Stanislaus I hate that its taking soooo long!! :blink:

17 minutes ago, lilmaz said:

Well I am officially giving up on this round of applications. Honestly the first rejection hurt the most but, strangely, now I am feeling energized about making my application better for next year and in desperate need of ways to fill a couple gaps I see now in retrospect. Lets hope this feeling of resilience sustains me over the next few months!! Also in the Colorado rejection email they stated they would write personalized application comments starting in JUNE! I know they have a lot on their plates but holy cow, I don't know if I can wait that long! Until then, congrats to everyone with interviews, hope they all go well.   *patiently waiting for the Genetic Counseling Fall 2019 Applicants thread to be born*

did you already hear back from VCU?

So today had a weird turn of events, its was my second time applying and out of the six schools I had applied to this year I had received 5 rejections in a row. I had started to map out my plan B since it seemed Genetic Counseling was just not meant to be and then all of a sudden I received an interview from Indiana State this morning. To all of you feeling down right now,  trust me I know and understand the pain of rejection, I have received nothing but rejection (5 last year and this year) but there's hope and hard work will pay off. 

11 minutes ago, lilmaz said:

You still have 4 schools to hear from! But that's an awesome attitude to have. Many of us are second time applicants and you will learn a lot about your application when you ask. I waited until the beginning of May to ask, when I applied two years ago. I decided not to apply last year because it often takes a long time to set up volunteer positions and shadowing (if that's where you lack like I did) and I'm glad I didn't rush it. Good luck on the rest of your schools!

3 minutes ago, laura moreno said:

did you already hear back from VCU?

Yeah, I applied to their dual degree and got info through that before they sent invites out to other applicants.